Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OlympicGames

Your Favorite Winter Games Sports

I've never been a huge fan of the Olympic Winter Games. Honestly these days they are more like a distraction to tide me over until the next Games of the Olympiad and back in the days when Winter and Summer were held in the same year, Winter was like a "pre-show" to the main even for me. I watched about five minutes or less of Lillehammer and perhaps slightly more of Torino, if that (in each case there were things happening in my life at that time heavily distracting me). I've never missed a Summer games - ever. Nevertheless, when the winter games are on, I'll watch:

Speed Skating (both short track and long - yes, more racing! Was watching ISU World Cup from Salt Lake City this past weekend)

Snowboard

Freestyle skiing

Figure Skating (I'll watch it, but I hate Ice Dancing)

As a child I was fascinated by Bobsled, but not anymore.

The same disclaimers apply with this topic as with the summer one!

Winter Games my favourites !!!!

So i will not miss :

- Downhill

- Slalom

- Ice Skating

- Biathlon

- and.................. Curling !!!

So i will not miss :

- Downhill

- Slalom

- Ice Skating

- Biathlon

When you say ice skating, do you mean Figure Skating or Speed Skating? And wow, curling eh? That bores me to death! :lol:

So i will not miss :

- Downhill

- Slalom

- Ice Skating

- Biathlon

Someone from France liking curling, how interesting.

I love all the winter sports

1. Ice Hockey

2. Curling

3. Alpine Skiing (Slalom and downhill especially)

4. Short Track Speed Skating

5. Speed Skating

6. Biathlon

7. Skeleton

8. Bobsleigh

9. Cross-Country Skiing

10. Nordic Combined

11. Ski Jumping

12. Luge

13. Figure Skating

curling is a fantastic sport and highly dominated by Canadians so its just a bonus. Its very technical and a much better sport than golf.

I don't particularly have a favourite edition of the Olympics, they have differences that make them hard to compare. The Olympic Games are more global in scale and have a lot more viewing options and more sports but I find they are less personal and not on a human scale any more, whereas the Winter Olympic Games are dominated but the 10 to 15 tradition countries but the smaller size, the less athletes it allows for more stories to be seen and not get lost in the mix. It doesn't hurt that Canada does considerably better in winter sport than summer and is heading to a 30+ medal finish in Vancouver.

I love all the winter sports

1. Ice Hockey

2. Curling

3. Alpine Skiing (Slalom and downhill especially)

4. Short Track Speed Skating

5. Speed Skating

6. Biathlon

7. Skeleton

8. Bobsleigh

9. Cross-Country Skiing

10. Nordic Combined

11. Ski Jumping

12. Luge

13. Figure Skating

curling is a fantastic sport and highly dominated by Canadians so its just a bonus. Its very technical and a much better sport than golf.

I don't particularly have a favourite edition of the Olympics, they have differences that make them hard to compare. The Olympic Games are more global in scale and have a lot more viewing options and more sports but I find they are less personal and not on a human scale any more, whereas the Winter Olympic Games are dominated but the 10 to 15 tradition countries but the smaller size, the less athletes it allows for more stories to be seen and not get lost in the mix. It doesn't hurt that Canada does considerably better in winter sport than summer and is heading to a 30+ medal finish in Vancouver.

Thanks Faster, now chime in on the Summer Games version of this post ;)

When you say ice skating, do you mean Figure Skating or Speed Skating? And wow, curling eh? That bores me to death! :lol:

In my mind... Ice Skating = Figure Skating and Speed Skating = Speed Skating

Yes i do !!!! and I am not the only one.

We are a few fans that could watch live on Eurosport at the middle of the night some games from European or World Championships (but generally we don't see a lot of it during the WOG).

I am fascinating by this sport. When I start watching it, i could stay in front of my TV during hours...

Guest Skidud313

1. Downhill

2. Hockey

3. Alpine Combined

4. 4 Man Bobsleigh

5. Super-G

6. 2 Man Bobsleigh

7. GS

8. SL

9. Luge

10. Curling

I only included sports that I watch in-between Olympics at least on a semi-regular basis.

1 )Bobsled and Skeleton - watching the world cup kind of became a ritual last year, and after watching well over a dozen of races I still love it

2 )Biathlon - who would have guessed that mixing skiing and shooting would give such a nail-bitting sport?

3 )Hockey - I watch some odd regular season NHL games, most of Ottawa's playoff games and as much of the IIHF world champs as possible

4 )Curling - I watch the Brier, the Tournament of Hearts and the Worlds, can't say I care for the World Curling Tour or the CC tough

5 )Alpine Skiing - the Super-G and the Slalom are my favourite races

6 )Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding - my favourite events are the Snowboard Cross, the Ski Cross and the Dual Mogul (unfortunately not an Olympic event).

Of all of the Olympics Winter Sports, I have to say that Figure Skating is probably the one I like the least.