A Rich Man's Games

iahphx

So basically what's being said here is that I should NOT get a hospitality package with lodging? I think I still have time to return it. I really liked the idea of getting a package, though, because it locked in my ticket choices, but admittedly the cost of lodging was EXORBITANT. Any advice?

My opinion is that if you're set on attending certain events in that package and you can afford the price, then that's the way to go. Based on what you said in the other thread, your package has several figure skating tickets. Those would be basically impossible to get in the lottery and hard to come by in the resell market as well. (From what CoSport told me, you can resell tickets but only at face value. Is that BC law?) The lodging is high, but unless a lot more rooms come available suddenly, most are already gone. At least you have the two major planning hurdles out of the way.

London 2012 will be a very expensive affair for North Americans wishing to visit. You guys lose half your currency in conversion. It wasn't long ago that £1=$2, though it's around $1.50 in the present financial climate. I'm sure by 2012, the Pound will have regained it's strength, making it an expensive trip.

Of course LOCOG have pledged 'affordable' ticket prices, but we all know these will be few and far between. I'm already debating which part of my body to sell on Ebay to pay for tickets. Perhaps I can find me a rich sugar-mama to supplement the cost. mmmm..... :lol:

My opinion is that if you're set on attending certain events in that package and you can afford the price, then that's the way to go. Based on what you said in the other thread, your package has several figure skating tickets. Those would be basically impossible to get in the lottery and hard to come by in the resell market as well. (From what CoSport told me, you can resell tickets but only at face value. Is that BC law?) The lodging is high, but unless a lot more rooms come available suddenly, most are already gone. At least you have the two major planning hurdles out of the way.

Actually almost none of the hotel spaces are gone other than ones bought by VANOC, the black-out period was just lifted and most hotels are starting to book until January/February.

Actually almost none of the hotel spaces are gone other than ones bought by VANOC, the black-out period was just lifted and most hotels are starting to book until January/February.

Yeah, based on current information, I think i might hang on to my reservations as-is, less for the hotel reservation and more for the ice skating tickets. I mean, tickets to three figure skating events is clutch. And I'm also extremely limited in the types of events I can go to - I will be traveling with my as-yet unborn daughter, who will be ~14 months of age at that point, and attending any outdoor events (skiing, bobsled, luge, skeleton - the latter three of which I would be extremely interested in attending otherwise) will be completely impractical.

It is nice for convenience's sake to have the hotel. I just feel that I am being ripped off on the reservations after reading what I've read on here. :angry: But again... the tickets.

Can anyone comment on how likely it would be to get three figure skating tickets otherwise? I have tickets to the Ice Dancing Original and Free Dances, and the Women's Short Program in my package.

Yeah, based on current information, I think i might hang on to my reservations as-is, less for the hotel reservation and more for the ice skating tickets. I mean, tickets to three figure skating events is clutch. And I'm also extremely limited in the types of events I can go to - I will be traveling with my as-yet unborn daughter, who will be ~14 months of age at that point, and attending any outdoor events (skiing, bobsled, luge, skeleton - the latter three of which I would be extremely interested in attending otherwise) will be completely impractical.

It is nice for convenience's sake to have the hotel. I just feel that I am being ripped off on the reservations after reading what I've read on here. :angry: But again... the tickets.

Can anyone comment on how likely it would be to get three figure skating tickets otherwise? I have tickets to the Ice Dancing Original and Free Dances, and the Women's Short Program in my package.

are you canadian? and how much did your package cost?

i'm filling out the request for ticket form as we speak and i just have no idea what to bid for. i thought i liked winter sports a lot more, but except for short track i wouldn't really be crushed if i don't get very many.

I was like that too, I came to have on interest in curling or hockey because I have seen both of those at the top level before.

I am not too worried about getting tickets or not, if they happen they happen, if they don't they don't. If not I will go to Iceland for a research trip.

krow - keep me posted about your short track ticket situation, I applied for two and if I get them and choose not to go or to go for a shorter period I will pass them on.

Edited by Faster

are you canadian? and how much did your package cost?

i'm filling out the request for ticket form as we speak and i just have no idea what to bid for. i thought i liked winter sports a lot more, but except for short track i wouldn't really be crushed if i don't get very many.

No, I'm fromt he US and bought through Cosport.

My package is 5 days, 4 nights, and it's ~$4000 per person. I have two people going - well two adults and one child, who essentially is free. So total is $8000.

The thing is, especially with the kid, I think it's almost not worth it to try to put together something on my own, when I'm so sure what I want to go to and I'm basically unable to go to any outdoor events.

For me, ice skating is THE Olympic sport I've always wanted to see, anyway - it was the first one my mom got me hooked on back in Albertville '92 when I was only 10.

There is no comparing ticket prices in Beijing to ticket prices in Vancouver. think about it . what is the difference in real estate prices between those two cities and the cost of living. Beijing also you had a coming out party that the government spared no expense to impress the world . Vancouver 2010 is out to recover much of the cost of the games operations. We had our Olympics on an out of control scale and cost in 1976. Then we had one of the few truly profitable games in 1988. The Calgary Experience will be the default pattern for the Olympics when Canada Hosts .

I am actually very pleased as a Canadian that Vancouver 2010 is looking to exceed targets for revenues , sponsorship and hopefully makes a profit over operation expenses.

700 dollars for the Mens Ice Hockey Finals well it will be sold out but if Canada is not in the final you will see many empty seats . As to pricing on other events it is the winter olympics in a winter sports country in the location bordering the Northwestern United States. I am sure you will have record attendances with people even making their way from Asia to witness the Games.

Jim jones

I am fairly sure young children require their own tickets not matter how young they are.

Nope.

According to Cosport:

Q. I want to bring my young children to the Games. At what age do they require a ticket or can they sit on my lap?

A. Children under two years old may enter the stadium or Venue without a ticket. However, they shall share the seat with their guardians. Only one child per adult may be admitted without a ticket.

According to vancouver2010.com:

Do I have to purchase a ticket for my child?

Children under two at Games times will not require a ticket for entry to Olympic and Paralympic venues but must not occupy a seat and are required to sit on the lap of a parent of guardian.

My daughter, who is due December 2, will be ~14 months of age at the time of the games. Thus, no tickets will be needed. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Unless the economy dramatically improves, there will be all the hotel rooms, tickets and whatever else you need at deeply discounted prices come event time.

Nobody NEEDS to buy several hundred dollar tickets, and corporations will downsize their attendance to reflect the new fiscal reality.

Personally, unless you MUST go, I'd hold off here and wait for the discounting.

For the REALLY HOT TICKET EVENTS - OC, all the Figure Skating Finals, ice hockey semi-finals on -- you would be hard-pressed to find last minute cheap seats on those. Regardless of the fortunes of the parties pre-ordering tix for those, those will NOT sell on the street. The biathlons and some of the downhill events will probably be easy to get cheap, last-minute. But not much else.