Are you forgoting Madrid ?

oooook  :rolleyes:

Madrid had a GOOD 2012 bid, but it certainly was not the BEST as you like to claim....and obviously the IOC saw it this way as well....

as for 2016....go ahead and bid along with the other European cities...it will not matter this time who you are, or how strong your bid is the chances are EXTREMELY unlikely after Athens 2004, Torino 2006, London 2012, and even a very possible win for 2014......maybe 2020 (doubt this too-this will be for a "new fronteir" so maybe 2024, where Madrid will be up against a possibly even stronger roster of European cities including Berlin, Moscow, Rome, and even Paris

Well I dont know if we could reach the XXI Olympics

You've got more chance of getting them than the XXXI Olympics, that's for sure!

:laughlong:

2016 won't go to Europe.

And besides, Madrid wasn't the best bid. Paris was the best according to the Evaluation team and London was best according to the IOC.

Firstly happy new year to all!

Then ... i dont know when but i ensure you the success of our bid... MADRID IS AN OLYMPIC CITY!

Y dicho esto y para que los interesados se den cuenta que rl movimiento olimpico es un fenomeno global y por tanto multilingüistico voy a decir lo siguiente (en castellano):

- Entiendo perfectamente que tengáis miedo y envidia después de la demostración de humildad y preparación que ofrecimos al mundo entero el 6 de julio de 2005. Desgraciadamente ha quedado muy demostrado que los juegos olimpicos no van a la ciudad que mejor proyecto tiene, ni necesariamente responde a la rotación de continentes, sólo influyen los factores políticos. A los que tanto se os llena la boca de meteros con Madrid para defender a ciudades como Rio, Delhi, Capedown, ... ¿porqué no pensais en la razón por la cual hay otras ciudades que ya han sido sede en dos o tres ocasiones de los JJOO? ¿Por qué defendeis la hegemonía de un país (EEUU) si realmente no creéis que sean razones políticas? (NYC dejó demostado que no está preparado y dificilmente podrá organizar unos juegos olímpicos en condiciones, quizá SFrancisco lo logre)

Bueno después de esto que seguramente no habréis llegado a leer hasta aquí porque no lo entendais o no queráis entenderlo. Desearos la mejor suerte del mundo y con la deportividad y el espiritu olimpico que caracteriza el proyecto de Madrid como ciudad olímpica, haceros saber que seguiremos ahi, y lo conseguiremos.

Ci vediamo a Torino 2006!

Wow, i don't know if you missed what happened last summer but LONDON WON THE 2012 OLYMPICS.

Which basically means that Madrid won't get the 2016 Olympics.

2012 is still an iffy. I'm prediciting that one of the "new-frontier" cities (Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town, India, etc.) would win.

I cant understand why do you hate Spain and Madrid...

I think we are a nice country and i think we are ready to host an olympic games, maybe for political reasons we wont reach the olympics again but we will still there.

If you dont know anything about Madrid and Spain, come here and enjoy it !! We are waiting for you with open arms!

Try it... all years more than 50 millions of tourist visit Spain (53 millions last 2005).

And we havent got a synchronized skating team but here there are great sportly proffesional people.

Maybe i cant never see it but i hope Madrid (my city) will host an Olympics ! MADRID IS IN THE RIGHT TRACK!

I will go to Torino 2006 to work like volunteer in the Olympic Village, i hope to see many of you!

I wish you  the best for the new year 2006!

I cant understand why do you hate Spain and Madrid...

I think we are a nice country and i think we are ready to host an olympic games, maybe for political reasons we wont reach the olympics again but we will still there.

If you dont know anything about Madrid and Spain, come here and enjoy it !! We are waiting for you with open arms!

Try it... all years more than 50 millions of tourist visit Spain (53 millions last 2005).

And we havent got a synchronized skating team but here there are great sportly proffesional people.

Maybe i cant never see it but i hope Madrid (my city) will host an Olympics ! MADRID IS IN THE RIGHT TRACK!

I will go to Torino 2006 to work like volunteer in the Olympic Village, i hope to see many of you!

I wish you  the best for the new year 2006!

no one anywhere in this thread said they hate Madrid....Madrid had a GOOD bid....but they were not the best, and they like every single other European city stand almost 0% of a chance of winning 2016 sorry

2012 is still an iffy. I'm prediciting that one of the "new-frontier" cities (Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town, India, etc.) would win.

Wait - I thought London got 2012.  You mean they are choosing a new city for 2012?  :shocked:  :glare:  :laugh:

Well I dont know if we could reach the XXI Olympics

but

WE WILL TRY AGAIN !!!

Am I in a time warp and it's 1970 again?  I thought Montreal hosted the XXI Olympiad  :help:

Noones hates Spain or Madrid - I know that Spain is a fantastic country and in 1992 Spain did host what many people still call the best Olympics so far.

The Bid from Madrid for 2012 was really a good one. They had  a great Venue Planing and a great concept.

Although its a beautiful city and although Madrid presented a very beautiful Bid Book, this Bid was simply not as good as Paris and London.:

London presented in comparison to all the other candidacies a very detailled Planing and a great "Bid Package": Promises, emotions, a stable and impressive Venue Planing. This all was backed through a very clever Lobbying.

Furthermore, every "expert" knew that it was to early for a spanish city to apply again. It is also well known that Juan Antonio Samaranch really did everything behind the scenes to back the Madrid Bid and to influence the IOC members, but he failed in that issue.

I am also convinced that no  European City will win the games of 2016 - sure, I also would like to see them here in Berlin or  in Rome - but every European City who really applies for 2016 is wasting its money. Maybe the games are going to Cape Town this time or maybe to South Africa.

Noone hates Madrid, I am convinced Juanmatury :-)

Firstly happy new year to all!

Then ... i dont know when but i ensure you the success of our bid... MADRID IS AN OLYMPIC CITY!

Y dicho esto y para que los interesados se den cuenta que rl movimiento olimpico es un fenomeno global y por tanto multilingüistico voy a decir lo siguiente (en castellano):

- Entiendo perfectamente que tengáis miedo y envidia después de la demostración de humildad y preparación que ofrecimos al mundo entero el 6 de julio de 2005. Desgraciadamente ha quedado muy demostrado que los juegos olimpicos no van a la ciudad que mejor proyecto tiene, ni necesariamente responde a la rotación de continentes, sólo influyen los factores políticos. A los que tanto se os llena la boca de meteros con Madrid para defender a ciudades como Rio, Delhi, Capedown, ... ¿porqué no pensais en la razón por la cual hay otras ciudades que ya han sido sede en dos o tres ocasiones de los JJOO? ¿Por qué defendeis la hegemonía de un país (EEUU) si realmente no creéis que sean razones políticas? (NYC dejó demostado que no está preparado y dificilmente podrá organizar unos juegos olímpicos en condiciones, quizá SFrancisco lo logre)

Bueno después de esto que seguramente no habréis llegado a leer hasta aquí porque no lo entendais o no queráis entenderlo. Desearos la mejor suerte del mundo y con la deportividad y el espiritu olimpico que caracteriza el proyecto de Madrid como ciudad olímpica, haceros saber que seguiremos ahi, y lo conseguiremos.

Ci vediamo a Torino 2006!

Feliz Año, compañero y.....Tranqui Tron !!!....

Tu própósito es el mismo que el de convencer a un drogadicto de que las drogas son malas.

No pierdas el tiempo, sobre todo con los yankis de eme, que siempre creyendo que fueron ellos los que descubrieron la rueda (y la hamburguesa, etc.)  :wwww:

Que lo disfrutes...y nos veremos en Madrid 2016 !!!...(que a mí...los votos y las opiniones del 95% de los subnormales que pueblan este foro...sinceramente...me la trae floja)...

Saludos....y Fuerte con ellos....

• 2 weeks later...

The one concern/ worry that I have with regards to future Madrid SOG bids eg 2016/20/24, is that will the city's chances of winning be decreased once Samaranch is no longer around?

Samaranch is 85 years old now, so who knows for how much longer he will be around in this world, and even if he is still alive in say 2015, will he be in good enough health to lobby for Madrid and attend IOC sessions and travel to places like Singapore for IOC sessions?

Samaranch clearly still has influence in the IOC and he played a huge role in lsecuring votes for Madrid in the 2012 race. When he is no longer around, it will be harder for Spain to win olympic bids perhaps.

Samaranch himself believes that his influence has already all but disappeared - in an interview with El Pais, he quite arrogantly, though perhaps truthfully, states that not only if had he still been President of the IOC but also if he had been an active member Madrid would have won.

He said that he believes that Madrid's main challenge will come from Rome and Berlin, if Paris decides not to bid again and that Tokyo will be a main challenger in 2016.

Samaranch Interview

It is obvious from Samaranch's comments, and from what we all know anyway, that he enjoyed a tremendous amount of influence as head of the IOC - Why doesn't Rogge enjoy the same respect?  If he did, who would have won in July 2005?  Would it have made a difference?

I think most people assumed, through ties of culture and language, that Rogge was a Paris supporter, but he was never as vocal in spelling out his support as the wily old falangist was.

Rogge has tried to make himself out as more collaborative, less dictatorial than Samaranch _ I'm sure that was part of the appeal that got him voted in. Maybe the balance has shifted too far the other way though _ he may well be trying too hard to be "Mr Nice Guy" when the job does need someone who's prepared to be tougher at times.

You're right everyone did assume Rogge supported Paris, would it have made any difference had he been more vocal about it or at least dropped more obvious hints - I get the impression that Mr Rogge doesn't command the same respect as Mr Samaranch, is his tenure going to be relatively short?

Despite the fact that many of the IOC elite had very high regard for Seb Coe, I think there was an understandable sympathy towards a Paris victory in the 2012 competition - I think this would have been common knowledge within the IOC, and yet it made no difference on the day.  Would this be considered a weakness?  Maybe Rogge is in an unfortunate position following Samaranch, maybe anyone would be considered less dictatorial?  

(Or maybe I'm just bored and trying to stimulate a debate!)

Well, I'm sure old Sonny Kim would have kept up the Samaranch tradition if he'd been successful.

Personally, I think Pound would have been a good leader, but then again, he's not exactly the type who would kiss ass to make friends and supporters. It'll be interesting to see if Rogge decides to stand for re-election in 2009, and who would be the challengers/successor.

Well, I'm sure old Sonny Kim would have kept up the Samaranch tradition if he'd been successful.

Personally, I think Pound would have been a good leader, but then again, he's not exactly the type who would kiss ass to make friends and supporters. It'll be interesting to see if Rogge decides to stand for re-election in 2009, and who would be the challengers/successor.

I think Dick would have been a great president. He has done well as the president of the World Anti-Doping Agency and is one of the most predominant IOC members. A lot of people are aware of him.

I don’t think we will ever see an Australian IOC president. Not with the current members we have. JC anyone?

I don’t think we will ever see an Australian IOC president. Not with the current members we have. JC anyone?

Gosper tried, but I don't think he ever had to support base he would have needed to have a real chance. John Coates might be a good long-term chance _ he's been a good AOC administrator and knows how to play politics.

It's a pity Suzie O'Neill quit the IOC, I think she would have matured well in the role (even though she was only in for an eight-year stint as athlete member).

I wonder which Australians might get IOC membership in the future when our current lot start retiring. Will Kieren Perkins show eventual ambitions, or maybe Cathy Freeman might have some support.

Pity, or more correctly lucky, that Arthur Tunstall never joined the IOC _ he would have caused a few stirs for sure.

Gosper tried, but I don't think he ever had to support base he would have needed to have a real chance. John Coates might be a good long-term chance _ he's been a good AOC administrator and knows how to play politics.

It's a pity Suzie O'Neill quit the IOC, I think she would have matured well in the role (even though she was only in for an eight-year stint as athlete member).

I wonder which Australians might get IOC membership in the future when our current lot start retiring. Will Kieren Perkins show eventual ambitions, or maybe Cathy Freeman might have some support.

Pity, or more correctly lucky, that Arthur Tunstall never joined the IOC _ he would have caused a few stirs for sure.

Gosper never had a chance. Just to creepy if you ask me, though then again so is Rogge.

John Coates is interest. I see him as an Australian version of Dick Pound, though I think he falls into the same boat as Gosper. There just simply isn’t enough support. Susie was a waste of time. I would think Ian Thorpe maybe Cathy Freeman or Grant Hackett joining after, say 2010-2012. Hackett has proven to be very political with his new found glory. Being captain of Australia’s swimming team would help too.

Gosper never had a chance. Just to creepy if you ask me, though then again so is Rogge.

John Coates is interest. I see him as an Australian version of Dick Pound, though I think he falls into the same boat as Gosper. There just simply isn’t enough support. Susie was a waste of time. I would think Ian Thorpe maybe Cathy Freeman or Grant Hackett joining after, say 2010-2012. Hackett has proven to be very political with his new found glory. Being captain of Australia’s swimming team would help too.

Yeah, I think you got it right when you said Coates is our Dick Pound. The bloke's a tough negotiator _ witness the deal he got the AOC over its share of Sydney 2000 revenues. He's also relatively untainted yet. What he needs to do now is start moving up the IOC heirarchy and take on a few active roles. It's far too early for him to take over after Rogge, whether that be 2009 or 2013, but if he takes on some role like media negotiations (he'd be excellent at that) looked to joining the IOC executive board in the next 10 years or so, he might be well placed to make a bid for the job when Rogge's succesor quits.

Hacket or Perkins would be our best chances from the current ranks of athletes. I think as you say, Hacket's being groomed for something like that, while Perkins is also a smart operator. Thorpie's future is probably to release a fashion of swimwear or a new fragrance etc. Cathy's nice, but too probably too nice, and she's inarticulate.

I see Alissa Camplin's up for election to the athlete's commission at Torino. I doubt that an Aussie would make it in from a winter athletes' vote, though.

I love the way we've turned a thread about Madrid into a discussion of Australian IOC members.

Archived