Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

PASO gets angry with Guadalajara and charges 'explanation without lies'

President calls for organization of the Pan 2011 'not throw flowers where

does not deserve '. Mexican promise deliver delayed works before the deadline

The patience of the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) is over. On Tuesday, in an Extraordinary General Meeting in Acapulco, Mexico, the organization's president, Mario Vazquez Rana, charged harshly the organizers of the Pan American Games in Guadalajara-2011 about the speed in the works. In turn, the Mexicans promised to deliver the Pan American Village in July, three months before the event. Angered by the attempt of the Organizing Committee of the Pan-2011 to minimize delays of works, Rana showed impatience after six months to alienate another meeting on the same topic.

- I want clear explanations and no lies. We should not throw flowers where do not deserve. The problem is not the sports facilities, which are far from being the best in the world. They are only good facilities. The big problem we have is the Pan American Village. We can not have failures going forward, otherwise we will not finish that installation - Rana said, causing embarrassment to the committee. The Village will house six thousand athletes during the event.

On the Mexican side, the president of the Organizing Committee, Carlos Andrade, also assured that the Athletics Stadium, another concern of PASO, will be completed in May. Of the 42 facilities to be used in Guadalajara in 2011, 29 are ready, and another 13 are underway, including the Velodrome, which, due to a design error, had to be redone.

The Pan de Guadalajara will have in your program 26 Olympic sports and seven Pan American (bowling, water skiing, karate, squash, baseball and softball). In all 15 sports will be qualifiers for the Olympic Games in London in 2012. Also Tuesday, the president of PASO announced that, for lack of security, canoeing slalom will not be disputed. The river would serve as a stage for the proof lies in a region outside Guadalajara, where crime worries responsible for the event.

Source: http://globoesporte.globo.com/outros-esportes/noticia/2010/10/odepa-se-irrita-com-guadalajara-e-cobra-explicacoes-sem-mentiras.html

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Panam 2003 in Santo Domingo was a total chaos (worse than Delhi) and there was no such charge. I think what led the president of PASO to these harsh words were:

1 - The fear of repeating the embarrassment of Delhi 2010.

2 - The 2007 Panam in Rio raised the level of the games offering olympics quality facilities.

I believe that Mexicans will made a good Panam.

Also dont forget Raña is mexican as well, and he was the president of the organizing comittee of the 1975 Panams in Mexico (which were one of the best organized ever along with Rio and Indianapolis), so probably he doesnt want to suffer an embarassemnt to his presidency.

Although he's overreacting at some stuff (most of the venues are already finished, and although not of a high class level, i dare to say they are much better than Delhi), it is true that the village and the athletics stadiums are delayed like hell, with the stadium plans been changed for almost ten times during this last two years until they finally decided to built it a couple of months ago and started (but because of the delays they have to make a temporary stadium of less than 20.000 )

...the president of PASO announced that, for lack of security, canoeing slalom will not be disputed. The river would serve as a stage for the proof lies in a region outside Guadalajara, where crime worries responsible for the event.

That statement makes no sense at all. So, for lack of security, the venue wil be unchanged? :blink:

Anyway...maybe if we see this from a point, Raña did the right thing. For what i've been reading the Guadalajara comittee has been very overconfident and doesnt want to share much info with the PASO and the others (kinda like what Delhi did, although at least Guadalajara is doing a better job), which is what infuriated Raña the most, and they dared to say that their venues were the best in the world, which is a lie. I'm not saying that their venues are bad, but they're mostly minimalsitic and practical, compared with the pharaonic projects of Rio 2007, and, probably except from the Aquatic centre, they're very far from being the bests in the world. The velodrome has been widely criticized for the columns in the middle of the stage which highly threatens competitors security, and like i said before, the athletics stadium construction has been a complete chaos and plans about where to built it were changed like thousands of times, and it wasnt until a couple of months ago that they FINALLY agreed to do it on a place and started to built it (but because of the delays it will now be a very simple and small venue, a sad example of a lost oportunity of doing something good..)

So Raña statements would make the organizing comittee stop living an alternate reality and get back to the real world. But anyway.. IMO, nothing will be worse than the chaotic 2003 organization in Dominican Republic...

That statement makes no sense at all. So, for lack of security, the venue wil be unchanged? :blink:

The problem is not the statement but my English. I tried to translate from portuguese. :D

The Panam 2003 in Santo Domingo was a total chaos (worse than Delhi) and there was no such charge. I think what led the president of PASO to these harsh words were:

1 - The fear of repeating the embarrassment of Delhi 2010.

2 - The 2007 Panam in Rio raised the level of the games offering olympics quality facilities.

I believe that Mexicans will made a good Panam.

Agree, Bezzi.

Some time ago I said that the future of the PANAM Games was in danger. And I said that exactly because the two points you presented in this post of yours. It seems clear and obviuos to me that no one wants a Santo Domingo leved edition of the PANAM Games. But which countries are able to deliver a Rio standard edition? The level of Rio 2007 was its greatest legacy to the Games. And it hapenned because Rio had in mind its bid for 2016. Will now every PANAM host city try to deliver better games with the same purpose? I don't think so. But the question remains. If a Santo Domingo edition level in now unthinkable, then the Panam Games are going to be hosted by a restricted group of nations, mainly of North and South America. Particularly in SA, Brazilian,Chilean, Ururguayan and Argentinian cities.

• 4 weeks later...

We finally have the producers of the opening ceremony... after 2007, Scott Givens will return in 2011

FiveCurrents appointed Executive Producer of Ceremonies for the Guadalajara 2011 Pan and Parapan American Games

11/9/2010

8 November 2010 - Guadalajara, Mexico - The Organizing Committee for the XVI Pan American Games (COPAG) today announced that they have appointed FiveCurrents as Executive Producer of Ceremonies for the Guadalajara 2011 Pan and Parapan American Games. The Opening Ceremony of the 2011 Pan American Games will take place on 14 October 2011 at Omnilife Stadium. The Closing Ceremony will bring the Games to an end on 30 October and will include a handover to the next host city, Toronto, Canada. The Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games will be broadcast throughout the Americas and around the world.

On 12 November 2011, the Parapan American Games Opening Ceremony will commence the Games at the Pan American Athletics Stadium and the Closing Ceremony will bring the Games to an end on 20 November 2011.

Scott Givens, FiveCurrents' president said, "We are thrilled and honored to work with COPAG on the Ceremonies of the XVI Pan American Games and look forward to bringing the story of Guadalajara to life in front of a worldwide audience."

FiveCurrents is a mega-event production firm with production credits ranging from the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games to the Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Ceremonies. FiveCurrents also produced the Ceremonies of the XV Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The Pan American Games is a multi-sport event between athletes from all nations in the Americas, held every four years in the year before the summer Olympic Games. Recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC), the Pan American Games was established 8 August 19

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=35928

It has been confirmed on their blog. http://fivecurrents.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/fivecurrents-to-produce-2011-pan-american-games-ceremonies/

Also, besides Scott Givens, we have one of the first names on the ceremony. I'm talking about mexican artist Sergio Bustamante. He will be in charge of designing the cauldron, as well for various elements of the opening ceremony:

453393.jpg

Bustamante to design cauldron of the Pan Am Games

http://www.informador.com.mx/cultura/2010/249604/6/bustamante-disena-el-pebetero-de-los-panamericanos.htm

''From the deep shadow of the distant past,''is the sample that celebrates 40 years of experience

GUADALAJARA, JALISCO (17/NOV/2010) .- Sergio Bustamante will be responsible for designing the cauldron of the Pan American Games (JP) Guadalajara 2011 and his characters will be part of the opening ceremony of the sports event. But first, the operator has proposed to hold its 40 year history with the opening of the exhibition From the deep shadow of the distant past, the Chamber of Commerce of Guadalajara.

"For me everything that happens is like surprises that life gives me, I am grateful for being invited. I think the event itself is part of a magic that I think predestined, "said Bustamante.

From his work as a guest at the opening of the JP, said to be a Mexican fiesta, which included nearly a hundred of his works that are suspended in the air during the ceremony, "others were given life, walk, as has been done in other Pan American Games. "

Moon-faced women, men triangular face, masks and other characters from Bustamante will be chosen for the parade.

"I was invited as artistic director of the Pan American Games and is a great opportunity to show what we are doing at home. Inside the event are invited some distinguished Jalisco, is a great list of people who have done much for the state, "said Bustamante.

One of the most significant moments in the artist's life was his work in galleries abroad. "And now, the invitation to the Games is something that fills me with joy, but I think simple things well enough to receive a lot."

The design work of the opening party is in charge of the company that made the publication of the meeting in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).

Comment now working on the integration of the group, "for the final party, and details are entrusted to the creative director of JP. For now, we've seen is that it will be a meeting full of technology and progress. "

Bustamante said that the intention is to honor Mexico and national talent. An example of this is the cauldron of silver, which declined to give details at this time.

It appears that this time we're going to see floating objects, something which wasnt possible at Maracana in 2007 because of the weak roof.

For those who dont know Sergio Bustamante: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Bustamante

Some of his works:

article_image-image-article.jpg

catphoto.jpg

bustamante_lion_440.jpg

His official website http://www.sergiobustamante.com.mx/

You're right Myles, it's strange how these production companies seem to have their moment in the spotlight in gaining creative or production control over a few major events, and then another company takes their turn.

Don Mischer Productions had all the American events downpact (and perhaps surprisingly - the Chinese with the Specials) .Spectak had the 90s, JMW and David Zolkwer seem to have had the 2000s, David Atkins Enterprises since 2006, and now 5 Currents seem to be having all the luck in getting their contracts - also seems that they have had quite success in snuggling up to the South Americans - I know they have quite some experience in directing the NYE celebrations in Rio too.

I guess in alot of cases though, it's just a different name - most of the same people travel around to each no matter what company is getting the cheque at the end. The likes of Catherine Ugwu, Mark Fisher, Doug Jack, Andrew Walsh have been major players for the last 15 years.

I dunno, but I'd kind of like to see DMP get another go at something major - they always present poignant spectacular and emotive ceremonies moments in I guess the more traditional (less conceptual) model of ceremonies.

• 1 month later...

Wow this thread is kida dead. Time to revive it.

Some updated pics of the venues from the Guadalajara 2011 website:

Omnilife Stadium (Football, Opening and Closing Ceremonies) COMPLETED

chivasiw.jpg

Aquatic Centre (Swimming, Diving)UNDER CONSTRUCTION

aereaacuatico231210.jpg

interioracuatico30111.jpg

Forum (Weightlifting)

ol3j6146.jpg

Gimnasio de Usos Multiples (Gymnastics)

img8939.jpg

Telmex Athletics Stadium construction updates (early december)

EPA_2.JPG

EPA_1.JPG

EPA_4.JPG

Athletics Stadium lives a race intense

The stadium will host the opening of the Parapan

Athletics Stadium with 10% progress in their construction process

GUADALAJARA, JALISCO (04/DIC/2010) .- Pan Athletics Stadium, the venue that has generated more controversy over all plants that make the sports infrastructure has been built for the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, is already under construction .

After options like The Disparate, El Bajio, a property that was owned by Zapopan, which was the Gallo Brothers Speedway near Spring is ruled, now this site is housed in the property called La Curva, located in Angel Unit "Zapopan" Romero.

It was last Aug. 19 when the state governor and president of Copag, Emilio González Márquez, made the official announcement that the curve would be hosting this exhibition, because "it has all the conditions for the stadium is built there and that after completion of the Games, will be under the administration of the State Council for the Promotion Sports and Youth Support (Code), giving solution to one of the most acute problems that Guadalajara had to meet all infrastructure requirements just ahead of the mainland.

In a tour could see how machines and dozens of people working overtime since last October, with the aim of this complex will be completed in June 2011.

Undoubtedly, the construction of this site represents one of the most important challenges of the next year in sports infrastructure for the Organising Committee of the Pan American Games Guadalajara 2011 (Copag).

That building is where tested for athletics, which is why workers in the work does not rest during the day and enjoy holidays in the holidays, except 25 December and 1 January.

Hugo Rodríguez Gascón, director of sports infrastructure of the Organizing Committee of the Pan American Games, explained the progress that has been here, that since last October 11 thanks to other sponsors joined the "Party of America," called " Telmex Athletics Stadium. "

"The warm-up track is finished, the launch has a tartan and lawn area for javelin, shot put and disk and is under construction, the building is being cemented with shoes and deck are being held with pilots, is working on the configuration of the track, "explained Rodriguez Gascon, adding that this month will begin to lift the building structure, and the pair work on the part of the stands.

The stadium will feature a permanent grandstand for nine thousand spectators and space for six thousand temporary locations.

Below the steps to install the program requirements for housing athletes, judges, health care, drug testing, organization, media, pan-American family, controls testing, storage and equipment rooms.

The stadium was designed with a field of competence with eight-lane track, jumping and throwing areas. This is the second track certified by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF, for its acronym in English) in Mexico.

Will host the opening of the Parapan

On Monday, Copag members held a meeting with people who are taking charge of the opening and closing ceremonies, both Pan and the Parapan.

Although it is known that Omnilife Stadium, driving Chivas of Guadalajara will host the opening and closing ceremonies of the Pan American Games, thanks to the features that this stage will be decided that there was made the opening and closing the Parapan.

"We conclude that the organizers of this site will be the opening and closing Parapan they saw that the project makes it easier to get heavy, and took action on the matter for the design of its opening, because they want to three-dimensional, as it was in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, "said Hugo Rodríguez Gascón.

This scenario will also be suitable for entertainment such as music concerts and the possible return of the Jalisco Charros of professional baseball in Mexico.

"We're seeing the proposal of the Charros, is feasible because the use of baseball would leave the adjustments, as a floor above it, to then remove and continue to be used for athletics and other uses, we're moving," said .

The voice of the expert

Although not known in detail the Athletics Stadium project in The Curve, according to their experience, the athlete Zacatecas Juan Carlos Romero believes that among the most important characteristics you must have a room to serve as host Pan American athletics is that it must be a specific stage for this discipline.

"The important thing is that is designed specifically for athletics, so that people can come to appreciate the sport and have a more widespread," said the athlete 33 years of age, who is now in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, where they will compete in the marathon on Sunday and is with an eye on the Pan.

Romero has six years in the sport and was national champion in the 10,000 meters and won the gold medal in the Central American and Caribbean Games Mayagüez 2010, has participated in three World Cups specialty.

The phrase

"We are working against the clock to the Athletics Stadium, but not at night because it is difficult at this level where we are."

Hugo Rodríguez Gascón, director of sports infrastructure of Copag.

Also it seems the mascots are finally going to get some promotion this year since a TV animated series plus a movie has been anounced

How to save the Pan American Fire

http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n1919990.htm

Victor M. Ramírez Álvarez

Guadalajara, Jalisco .- Pan Save the fire is being threatened by some aliens will be the subject of the animated movie to be filmed here in Jalisco in the coming months to be released shortly before the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, whose investment will be around 30 million pesos. You have planned an animated series where pets games will be the stars.

This idea came from in the Olympics of Spain made a series with the pet, the figure of Sport Billy also served for a number prior to a soccer championship, among others, so the company Dreamsky, one hundred percent Ochoa, seeking the challenge and make known the Mexican talent.

Tonatihú Moreno, director of the movie "Squadron 2011: Revenge of the robots," he said that was an opportunity to promote the event in the Pan American Games and at the same time taking advantage of the characters of pets and their design allows us to tell stories with those characters. "

Aware that this animated feature is marked in the Pan American Games history, said that "given the time you have to do it, that is short, our expectation is to make a production very interesting, very funny and at the same time it very local in the aspect that people feel identified with the people, history and places where the action is also to be exported "and not remain only in Mexico.

Sharon Toribio, filmmakers of the series to be called "Squadron 2011: The origin of the fire," he said in the film as in the series will feature the official mascots of the sporting event which carry a role.

"There are plenty of villains out there in the series, a group of aliens and the movie changes a little history, but there are several characters as children who are the heroes and pets to help because the story revolves around who should Olympic flame back to the aliens want to steal. "

The film is the addition of a villain and gives continuity to the series started to air a month before the games to "warm engines."

He noted that Dreamsky is a company founded in Mexico in Guadalajara, but "we can not think of a movie or animation as something that should be labeled a country (like the U.S. animation) because our market is international , our vision is to entertain the whole family anywhere in the world. "

He added that through the stories that issues of universal concern and is intended to compete with any other country, "we have the idea, a hunch of what the kids want to see" and they are the best judges.

"We intend to reach through a distributor (and have some contacts with national and international) to another country in any language" because the games come together 42 countries which will be given ingredients of the culture of Guadalajara .

He said the challenges are technical and because the talent has a way Guadalajara already in production have mechanisms to conclude in a timely manner because it has a dual responsibility to be less than 10 months to do everything ", which exceed to be advised by people from other countries.

Within a few weeks it will announce the times of transmission as well as the voices of the characters for which to search for Mexican actors as long as the budget permits, but these topics are addressed below and will be announced.

Among the sponsors account the Organizing Committee of the Pan American Games in Guadalajara 2011 (Copag), the Ministry of Tourism and Economic Development of Jalisco, the producer and Scotiabank Inverlat as one of the major sponsors of sports tournament.

Dreamsky official website, they have just published the logo but it is expected they will give more updates in the future http://www.dreamsky.mx/

Considering the local media here seems to only be running stories as to the horrific toll that is being incurred during teh current drug war in Mexico, how safe do people see Guadalajara? Will the current problems impinge on tourist numbers for the Pan Ams?

Guadalajara is within the Jalisco state, which is not included on the list of the locations on which the Drug War is happening (according to Wikipedia) and the region hasnt suffered much, if any, of this conflict so you can say Jalisco is one of the safest places in Mexico today, at least for now. However we'll probably going to see high security measures during the Pan Am Games because of this conflict.

• 1 month later...

The medals of the 2011 Pan Am Games were unveiled a couple of days ago (its the ones in the left)

medallas-panamericanas-610x170.jpg

The medal's texture on the lower half is based on the Agave's heard, which is also the main theme of the Para Pan Am Games logo

parapan1.jpg

In case you dont remember those were the previous medals for the 2007 games

mpan.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The medals of the 2011 Pan Am Games were unveiled a couple of days ago (its the ones in the left)

medallas-panamericanas-610x170.jpg

The medal's texture on the lower half is based on the Agave's heard, which is also the main theme of the Para Pan Am Games logo

I liked it. But the medal on the right is much more beautiful. It was an alternative proposal? There was a vote?

I liked it. But the medal on the right is much more beautiful. It was an alternative proposal? There was a vote?

No, apparently they are conmemorative medals for the athletes and other participants of the games. Although i'm not quite sure

These are another pics of the medals.

av32c7.jpg

acg2t.jpg

And now, updates of the Swimming complex (my favorite venue, along with the Omnilife Stadium)

8xn33t.jpg

vnc8au.jpg

Update on the Telmex Stadium (athletics)..it will be a temporary venue and will host the Para Pan ceremonies (also produced by Fivecurrents). A big letdown compared to the Rio stadium if you ask me

2moxt85.jpg

Unveiling of the countdown clock at the Guadalajara Airport

286r4w3.jpg

PS: Imageshack sucks b***s right now with their gayass decision of registering to see their pics

Temporary Athletics venue? Is it not a popular sport in Mexico?

On the whole do you know what ticket uptake has been like - was there a bit of a buzz created when tickets went on sale - are there lots of sold out events?

Archived