Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21jyi3a.jpg

Is this the worst canada's participation in the PanAm games in the past 30 years?

Colombia needs two golds to surpass canada wow!

Btw, canada is in 5th place in golds and total medals lol so no excuse now.

oh and USA will not win 100 golds for the second straight time (they used to win 150+ golds hehe).

Seems to be that way. However, there are other qualifying events for London 2012 that some Canadian athletes chose not to participate in these Games. The USA has so many athletes that could win gold in the Pan American Games that it would overwhelm the competition. Anyway, for some Canadian athletes, these Games could be their highest achievement they can reach because Olympic qualifying could be too tough for them to crack.

Yeh guardian, we all know that. it's valid for all countries. the thing is: it always was like this... but now canada is fighting with colombia for the 5th place... That shows a huge decline.

Whether you guys like it or not.

but as I said we'll confirm the decline or not in 8 or so months... So let's wait!

London await us hehe, then we re-start this discussion.

maybe hockey being too popular among males is hurting canada? as you can see canadian womens are doing as good as ever... the problem are the males... (it was like this for brazil, but with soccer replacing hocket...

oh, and for those that wont bother to open the link:

Canadian woman won 17 gold medals and 23 silver medals, while males contributed with 6 gold medals and 11 silver medals.

40 - 17.. WOW.

I think hockey is attracting most high level athletes among males... Same thing that happens in Brazil with football!

Some countries want to do-the-America and maybe underestimated a little these 2011 PanAms. Canada did that and they're not in the position they used to be. Brazil also could have done much better if we focused just a bit harder in some disciplines and didn't acted so favorite in others.

Good Pan American Games though.

Damn, go here:

http://info.guadalajara2011.org.mx/ESP/ZZ/ZZM195A_@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ESP.htm

Just noticed only 6 males from canada contributed with gold medals WOW!

If you guys started doing sports instead of trolling on the internet canada would be much better, I think.

Hehe.

See ya in London 2012!

You know what your the troll, Canada has participation levels that are respectable. Maybe if you could shut your mouth you country could get some respect.

Yeh guardian, we all know that. it's valid for all countries. the thing is: it always was like this... but now canada is fighting with colombia for the 5th place... That shows a huge decline.

Whether you guys like it or not.

but as I said we'll confirm the decline or not in 8 or so months... So let's wait!

London await us hehe, then we re-start this discussion.

maybe hockey being too popular among males is hurting canada? as you can see canadian womens are doing as good as ever... the problem are the males... (it was like this for brazil, but with soccer replacing hocket...

oh, and for those that wont bother to open the link:

Canadian woman won 17 gold medals and 23 silver medals, while males contributed with 6 gold medals and 11 silver medals.

40 - 17.. WOW.

I think hockey is attracting most high level athletes among males... Same thing that happens in Brazil with football!

Then again go look at the teams sent, swimming for ex. had males that had no hope of getting on the London team, while the women did etc. The only male athlete I can think of the top of my head that will be in London is Dylan Armstrong (minus team sports). In 2015 when the best swimming team will be there and when the best athletics team (likely is there) Canada will likely end up challenging for top two spot.

In 2012 Canada's goal is be in top 12, which means beating Cuba and Brazil. Go figure.

Ehr... What do you expect? Brazil has no winter :blink:

Most of nations have no winter sports... Winter olympics is a minor competition between some rich countries and a couple of "superpowers"

And, indeed, they call curling a sport... blink.giflaugh.gif

Most of nations have no winter sports... Winter olympics is a minor competition between some rich countries and a couple of "superpowers"

And, indeed, they call curling a sport... blink.giflaugh.gif

Minor? Is that why half the world watched the opening ceremony of the 2010 winter Olympics? Is that why Tv records were broken in Europe (especially Germany in biathlon). Is that why 27.5 million out of 33 million Canadians saw at least a part of the gold medal game? Is it minor, because the countries that won a medal at the games have a population of around 2.2 billion?

Just admit it you think its minor, because Brazil has no tradition it. If they spend Brazil could become the hotbed for short track. :lol:

Sure the Winter games are not in the same level as summer games, but calling them minor is laughable. :blink:

USA good as usual,

Canada still keeping the first places, not as good as before though

Brazil is doing great, an excellent performance in Rio 2016 is waiting

Mexico is definately doing well, more than I expected, and I hope we end up in 4th places

Canada disappointment, bringing half c team is not an excuse, do you think USA team is all A? and this 2 countries are supposed to give it all, we are not talking about Brazil, Cuba or Mexico.

They need to do a good job in Toronto, good luck.

Minor? Is that why half the world watched the opening ceremony of the 2010 winter Olympics? Is that why Tv records were broken in Europe (especially Germany in biathlon). Is that why 27.5 million out of 33 million Canadians saw at least a part of the gold medal game? Is it minor, because the countries that won a medal at the games have a population of around 2.2 billion?

Just admit it you think its minor, because Brazil has no tradition it. If they spend Brazil could become the hotbed for short track. :lol:

Sure the Winter games are not in the same level as summer games, but calling them minor is laughable. :blink:

Europe has a Winter Sports tradition, but since not all countries have snow, well they dont care about them, Europe, north america, north asia and in less part argentina and chile, seems small to me, since Africa, australia central and south america, cant host it, so you can't blame countries like brazil for havin 0 medals, that is non sense, they dont have not because you guys are better is because they dont practice it, or in ither words they do not care, but climate change will soon affect winter olympics hopefully not so soon.

USA good as usual,

Brazil is doing great, an excellent performance in Rio 2016 is waiting

Mexico is definately doing well, more than I expected, and I hope we end up in 4th places

Canada disappointment, bringing half c team is not an excuse, do you think USA team is all A? and this 2 countries are supposed to give it all, we are not talking about Brazil, Cuba or Mexico.

They need to do a good job in Toronto, good luck.

Europe has a Winter Sports tradition, but since not all countries have snow, well they dont care about them, Europe, north america, north asia and in less part argentina and chile, seems small to me, since Africa, australia central and south america, cant host it, so you can't blame countries like brazil for havin 0 medals, that is non sense, they dont have not because you guys are better is because they dont practice it, or in ither words they do not care, but climate change will soon affect winter olympics hopefully not so soon.

You can't blame countries without snow (actually Brazil have snow few days per yes in a small region of Santa Catarina state) to have no tradition and no medal in Olympic Games...

Yes, for half of the world, Winter Olympics are minor, except for the beautfiul and charming Opening Ceremonies and great performance in artistic skiing (I even don't know the name of the sport).

For rich countries in the edges of the planet, yes, they are big, strong and meaningful. But you can't call this a true-World event, because it isn't. World Cup Soccer, World Cup Rugby are bigger... BY FAR. mad.gif

So, don't compare Winter games medals with tropical countries, you will play the idiot here.

Back to real "International" events (those who most of the countries that joins the competition feels really represented), in the PanAms, things are back to normal and Cuba is now second in medal table with a huge distance of Brazil.

Anyway, I'm proud we went so far keeping 2nd in medal table for almost the entire competition, it's a sign Brazil is developing in sports (indeed, for the results in the last Olympic Games). smile.gif

You can't blame countries without snow (actually Brazil have snow few days per yes in a small region of Santa Catarina state) to have no tradition and no medal in Olympic Games...

Yes, for half of the world, Winter Olympics are minor, except for the beautfiul and charming Opening Ceremonies and great performance in artistic skiing (I even don't know the name of the sport).

For rich countries in the edges of the planet, yes, they are big, strong and meaningful. But you can't call this a true-World event, because it isn't. World Cup Soccer, World Cup Rugby are bigger... BY FAR. mad.gif

So, don't compare Winter games medals with tropical countries, you will play the idiot here.

I don't think the Rugby world cup is in the same level as the Winter Olympics, the latter being higher up.

Of course I am not blaming Brazil for not having snow/winter sport tradition, what I took offense in was you calling the Winter games "minor" which they are not.

+ calling people idiots when themselves can't get even write someone's user name correctly is just hypocritical. Just saying. :lol:

USA has much more funding and athletes available. Of course a c team is an excuse, if Canada's A team in both swimming and athletics was here they would be challenging for top 2 .

What I took offense in was you calling the Winter games "minor" which they are not.

I can understand it's not a minor event for Canadians, Norwegians, Russians (and weirdly) Australians.

But It is a minor event for some 4 billion people, at least... You like, you don't.

Indeed, Vancouver 2010 was the first Winter Games ever to have some attention of big networks in Brazil, with poor ratings as result.

I can imagine situation are similar or even worst in great part of the World...

Even the "cooler" countries of Southern Hemisphere does not give a damn for Winter Games...

It's a party of few for few. Fact.

I don't think the Rugby world cup is in the same level as the Winter Olympics, the latter being higher up.

The brand Olympic is strong, no doubts, take out the name Olympic of the Winter games, and this would became a really unknown event of northern countries...

A kind of Eurovision of sports... Really big for Europe, really nothing for the rest of the world.

And even in Summer games Brazil has 91 Canada 260.

I really don't care about that, specially, because Brazil became a "regular" country only in the 90s... So, I'm pretty happy that since then, we are doing great, sometimes even better than the former "2nd most important nation of Americas: Canada"

I can understand it's not a minor event for Canadians, Norwegians, Russians (and weirdly) Australians.

But It is a minor event for some 4 billion people, at least... You like, you don't.

Indeed, Vancouver 2010 was the first Winter Games ever to have some attention of big networks in Brazil, with poor ratings as result.

I can imagine situation are similar or even worst in great part of the World...

Even the "cooler" countries of Southern Hemisphere does not give a damn for Winter Games...

It's a party of few for few. Fact.

The brand Olympic is strong, no doubts, take out the name Olympic of the Winter games, and this would became a really unknown event of northern countries...

A kind of Eurovision of sports... Really big for Europe, really nothing for the rest of the world.

I really don't care about that, specially, because Brazil became a "regular" country only in the 90s... So, I'm pretty happy that since then, we are doing great, sometimes even better than the former "2nd most important nation of Americas: Canada"

When did I say 145 0? remove that from your post as I never said that. Even after 90's Canada has won more medals then Brazil at every summer games.

At least Canada has winter sports to look forward to LMAO. Canada 145 Brazil 0.

That was user 12345 not ME.

Hey people, tomorrow is the end of Guadalajara 2011 and you guys f*cked up this thread! :)

You are right, as a mexican I feel good, I think Guadalajara with all the problems they had, they really did a very decent games, no major safety or security problems, considering Mexico is currently involved in a Drugs war, I thanks Guadalajara for these wonderful games, and for sure Mexico will have another Pan ams later!!

Good bye Guadalajara 2011 :(

Mexico lost in rugby... Definetly there are sports Mexicans arent made for.

Curios fact: from Chicago 1959 to Rio 2007 Guatemala won 7 golds... Now in Guadalajara, Guatemala has 7 golds in the medals table :o GREAT FOR US :D

Mexico lost in rugby... Definetly there are sports Mexicans arent made for.

Curios fact: from Chicago 1959 to Rio 2007 Guatemala won 7 golds... Now in Guadalajara, Guatemala has 7 golds in the medals table :o GREAT FOR US :D

Yes curiously the sports we do not like (rugby, hockey, skii etc) are the ones we are not good at...surprisingly!!! <_<

You are right, as a mexican I feel good, I think Guadalajara with all the problems they had, they really did a very decent games, no major safety or security problems, considering Mexico is currently involved in a Drugs war, I thanks Guadalajara for these wonderful games, and for sure Mexico will have another Pan ams later!!

Good bye Guadalajara 2011 :(

Apparently the best games ever. I agree due to fan enthusiasm and lack of major problems.

Tidbits

- futsal and golf will be added to the official program in 2015!

- Pelota basca wont be added. Thanks god.

- usa didn't win 100 golds for the 2nd straight time.

- Canadá had its worst participation in a pan-am games since the second edition of the games (in terms of position in the medal table --> 5th place).

- Colombia set records for themselves in this pan-am edition. great great participation. For some minutes they were tied with canada with the same number of gold medals. Amazing effort!

- Guatemala was excelent to say the least.

- both mexico and brasil finishing ahead of canada for the first time ever in one edition

- Also, argentina recovered a lot from its poor participation in 2007.

- Venezuela did great too, they just didn't win many gold medals.

That shows a lot of countries in the region are getting better in the same rate its economic/social situation improves as well... That'll make the PanAms a much better event!

Oh and the gap between brasil and cuba is getting smaller each and everytime!

Just for reference:

In 1995 Cuba won 112 gold medals, Canada won 49, Argentina won 40 while brazil only won 17 gold medals...

4 editions later:

Cuba 54+

Brazil 47+

Canadá 28+

Argentina 19+

How things change :)

and with the money that started being invested in 2009 when rio2016 was announced we gonna steamroll cuba from the second place in 4 years hehe.

Archived