Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

It's interesting to note that Athletics is used for Olympic qualifying, seeing as how countries many of the countries at the Pan Am Games will be using their national championships as Olympic qualifiers. Whatever "minimum" standards that any of the Caribbean, American or Canadian athletes make at these Pan Am Games will be shattered by their teammates next year. It makes sense though for the countries of Central America, or Guyana or Suriname.

Well what I meant was all athletes need to hit the minimum standard to compete. This event allows them to reach that standard, that doesn't mean they will compete in London especially if they don't do well at the their national championships.

Oh and to add Trinidad and Tobago, not El Salvador will replace Guatemala in the men's football tournament.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have finally gave an official preview of what we're going to watch this friday. Projections, lots of them. Click on the image to watch the 30 second video

http://deportespe.terra.com.pe/rumbo-a-2012/guadalajara-2011/noticias/0,,OI5406790-EI17445,00-Guadalajara+vive+ensayo+de+inauguracion+con+estadio+repleto.html

Heavy traffic was reported during the rehearsals, I hope we don't see an incident like in Mar del Plata 95 (when half of the stadium was empty when the ceremony started)

They have finally gave an official preview of what we're going to watch this friday. Projections, lots of them. Click on the image to watch the 30 second video

http://deportespe.terra.com.pe/rumbo-a-2012/guadalajara-2011/noticias/0,,OI5406790-EI17445,00-Guadalajara+vive+ensayo+de+inauguracion+con+estadio+repleto.html

Heavy traffic was reported during the rehearsals, I hope we don't see an incident like in Mar del Plata 95 (when half of the stadium was empty when the ceremony started)

Was Mar Del Plata sold out? I was two and a half years old when it started. :lol:

American Allyson Felix will be in attendance at the opening ceremony representing the United States and on behalf of Obama, although she won't compete:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/10/12/president-obama-announces-presidential-delegation-mexico-attend-opening-

Just few hours left!!

Today is the big day :) The opening ceremony will be at 8:00 PM (local time). At 5:00 PM there will be a performance of the Air Force over the Omnilife Stadium

2061885-5469-rec.jpg

2061888-1980-rec.jpg

2061896-9991-rec.jpg

2061893-9807-rec.jpg

2061890-1559-rec.jpg

SPOILERS! Terra has published on its website who will light the cauldron, as well for the last torchbearers and how the cauldron will be ignited. text will be in white below)

Paola Espinosa, mexican diver and 10m plattaform champion at the 2009 FINA World Championships and the 2010 CAC Games, bronze medal in Beijing 2008 (she also was Mexico flagbearer at the olympics opening), will ignite the cauldron. The last torchbearers will be Alberto Valdés (olympic champion in London 1948), Enriqueta Basilio (who lit the cauldron of the 1968 Olympics in Mexico) and María del Rosario Espinosa (taekwondo gold medalist in Beijing 2008)

The method on which the cauldron will be lit sounds like a copycat of Beijing o_O...apparently, Paola will be ascended to the sky via a cable and she will run through the ring roof over the stadium, then she will descend to light the cauldron, as the fire will travel through the roof (this sounds similar like the first theories of how the Vancouver 2010 cauldron would be lit)

Via this link: http://deportesus.terra.com/rumbo-a-2012/guadalajara-2011/noticias/0,,OI5411695-EI17445,00-Paola+Espinosa+encendera+el+pebetero+de+los+JP+de+Guadalajara.html

Also this website has confirmed it: http://www.mediotiempo.com/mas-deportes/panamericanos/noticias/2011/10/13/paola-espinosa-encendera-el-pebetero

NOTE: How the hell can Alberto Valdes be a last torchbearer if he's dead O_O? (he died in 1992) , unless is his son or something...

SPOILERS END HERE

Having a great time at Guadalajara and enjoing the games. Sorry i was late for tickets for the opening ceremony, see it at my hotel. Tomorrow i hope the scotiabank aquatic center will be amazing, i will attend to swimming :D

Pan Ams open in Mexico to sound of marachis

GUADALAJARA, Mexico (AP) -- The sound of Mexico's famous mariachis filled the air Friday at the opening ceremony of the Pan American Games, signaling the start of the 2-week competition - Mexico's biggest day on the international sports stage since the 1986 World Cup.

Tradition set the backdrop for much of the ceremony, which opened with women wearing colorful dresses dancing to the sound of brass and strings with Mexican vaqueros - or cowboys - riding their mounts at a quick gallop around the center of the Omnilife Stadium, the home of local soccer club Chivas.

The opening ceremony was in doubt until Friday after heavy rain from Hurricane Jova battered Guadalajara. But the sun broke through early in the day - surely a giant relief for organizers.

The parade of the 42 nations began with Argentina and ended with Uruguay, Venezuela and host nation Mexico, which received a giant ovation. So did recording artist Vicente Fernandez, who sang the country's national anthem.

The Mexican delegation entered wearing giant white sombreros and white tops with black trousers for the men and black skirts for the women.

The array of celebrities in attendance ranged from Mexican President Felipe Calderon and International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge to soccer star Rafael Marquez and famous Mexican boxer Julio Cesar Chavez.

Calderon opened the games, standing behind a podium and reading his script in Spanish.

"With the certainty that these games symbolize a fraternal union, peace and the prosperity that we wish for all people of the Americas, I solemnly open the 16th Pan American Games," Calderon said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/10/14/pan.am.opening.ap/index.html#ixzz1aojR36ak

When Terra sports said it would have 13 live streams simultaneously, they didn't say that they wouldn't necessarily be running all the time. Only stuff I can find online now is swimming prelims. Guess I'm spoiled by NBC after being able to pick and choose my events in 2008.

When Terra sports said it would have 13 live streams simultaneously, they didn't say that they wouldn't necessarily be running all the time. Only stuff I can find online now is swimming prelims. Guess I'm spoiled by NBC after being able to pick and choose my events in 2008.

:/ buuuuuu I only can see Taekwondo at this moment

Swimming Finals Results

Women's 100m Butterfly

1-DONAHUE Claire USA

2-DE PAULA Daynara BRA

3-BREEDEN Elaine USA

Men's 400m Individual Medley

1-PEREIRA Thiago BRA

2-DWYER Conor J USA

3-MARGALIS JR Robert John USA

Women's 400m Individual Medley

1-SMIT Julia Elizabeth USA

2-MARANHAN Joana BRA

3-VAVRA Allysa Mary USA

Men's 400m Freestyle

1-HOUCHIN Charles Gipson USA

2-PATTON Matthew Edward USA

3-QUINTERO Cristian VEN

Women's 4x100m Freestyle Relay

1-UNITED STATES

2-BRAZIL

3-CANADA

Was surprised to see this as a news item on the Tribune's website. Normally there is not much in the media here on the PanAms.

US takes the lead in the medals table on the opening day of the Pan American Games in Mexico

CHRIS LEHOURITES

AP Sports Writer

October 15, 2011

GUADALAJARA, Mexico (AP) — The United States was awash with medals on the opening day of the Pan American Games, with nine of its 14 coming in the swimming pool alone.

The Americans moved to the top of the medals table from the opening event when Heather Irmiger won the women's cross-country mountain bike race. They just added more and more as the day went on, ending up with seven gold. Brazil was second with one gold and seven overall.

"While it was a great first day, there is a lot of games left," said Scott Blackmun, the U.S. Olympic Committee's secretary general. "We are very proud of our athletes and look forward to some great competitions as the games go on."

Read More

hey guys, can someone tell me how many gold medals are at stake in "pelota basca" and at "racquetebol" competitions?

My friends said up to 10 golds are disputed by the competitors in "pelota basca".

that's a effin lot.

but couldn't find much about racquetebol except it's like squash...

Also, I thought the organizing country could only add one sport... Guadalajara committee added both?

Archived