Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

Cuba seems to be a bit decadent to me. They were really a sports power in recent past, but since Rio 2007, we see Cuba losing positions in multi-sports events...

Do they have boxing in the Pan-Ams though? At the Olympics, they always seem to shoot up dramatically on the last few days when the boxing medals are decided.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they do. The PanAms have the same sports as the Olympics plus a few others like squash. And that's exactly what happened in Rio 2007. Cuba was oscilating between the 2nd and 3rd position - behind Brazil - in the medals table. During the second week they grabbed more golds than Brazil. But I agree they're suprisingly slow this time...

Cuba seems to be a bit decadent to me. They were really a sports power in recent past, but since Rio 2007, we see Cuba losing positions in multi-sports events...

The same with Canada, at least in PanAms.

Can Brazil emerge as the second sports power in the Americas?

The reason why Brazil is doing so well is because Canada has not sent its A swimming team, but its C team. Not to make any excuses. Canada swimming prefers to use the meet for developing swimmers. If Canada had shown up with top swimmers then I would have guessed a medal count around 18-20, with a fair chunk coming off from Brazil. Add to the fact Canada's athletics team only has one medal hopeful Canada has in essence taken itself out of contention in 34+47 (81 events almost a quarter of events.)

The same with Canada, at least in PanAms.

Can Brazil emerge as the second sports power in the Americas?

I think it depends on the sport. In track and field the second power in the Americas are the Jamaicans with the likes of Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell Brown and Yohan Blake. The powers in the Americas in Track and field are:

1. The United States

2. Jamaica

3. Trinidad and Tobago

4. Cuba

5. Canada

And then followed by others such as Barbados, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Panama, Brazil and the Bahamas. The top two won't ever change. The other three are interchangable. Brazil fits into the latter category, although could easily vault into the top five with multiple track and field medalists.

Cuba is still somewhat a threat in track and field. Dayron Robles and Yarelis Savigne just had bad world championships. Robles could have been a world champion had he not been DQ'ed.

I think it depends on the sport. In track and field the second power in the Americas are the Jamaicans with the likes of Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell Brown and Yohan Blake. The powers in the Americas in Track and field are:

1. The United States

2. Jamaica

3. Trinidad and Tobago

4. Cuba

5. Canada

And then followed by others such as Barbados, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Panama, Brazil and the Bahamas. The top two won't ever change. The other three are interchangable. Brazil fits into the latter category, although could easily vault into the top five with multiple track and field medalists.

Cuba is still somewhat a threat in track and field. Dayron Robles and Yarelis Savigne just had bad world championships. Robles could have been a world champion had he not been DQ'ed.

Brazil has one world champion at least, which is more then Canada.

With their drug cheat Cesar Ceilo :lol: just kidding.

Does we also have a rivalry with Canada in Swimming??? I thought it was only about jets and beef!!! :rolleyes:

1. The United States

2. Jamaica

3. Trinidad and Tobago

4. Cuba

5. Canada

Brazil is not a power in track and fields, but PanAms after PanAms, we are getting more and more medals.

At this same point in Rio 2007, with all home-advatage, Brazil had barely 8 gold medals and "fighting" with Cuba for 2nd position. This year we are already in 12 and counting... And Cuba is a bit behind. (A article in Brazilian media pointed this as, maybe, the best PanAms ever for Brazil, if the trend continues).

Wait and see. :)

Does we also have a rivalry with Canada in Swimming??? I thought it was only about jets and beef!!! :rolleyes:

At this point I would say they are tied. Brazil one three medals in Shanghai, but only one in Olympic events. Canada won three in Olympic events and had overall team depth. Hard to say.

At this point I would say they are tied. Brazil one three medals in Shanghai, but only one in Olympic events. Canada won three in Olympic events and had overall team depth. Hard to say.

In swimming: Canada ahead, your all-time history is better than Brazilian one.

In jets: Brazil ahead, Embraer left Bombardier eating dust in the last 10 years... rolleyes.gif

The Telmex Athletics Stadium, which is set to host the Pan American Games track and field event here, has been officially opened by Pan American Sports Organisation (PASO) President Mario Vázquez Raña at a special ceremony just three days before the athletics competition begins.

Some of the sport's top athletics stars, such as Jamaica's Usain Bolt and America's Tyson Gay, will not be representing their teams in at the venue here largely due to the fact that the Games are taking place so late in the year.

After the Pan American Games, the stadium will become a multipurpose venue hosting sports including athletics and baseball, as well as music concerts.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/athletics/14633-telmex-athletics-stadium-opened-just-three-days-before-hosting-athletics-at-pan-american-games

Canada has qualified a synchro. swimming duet and Mo Zhang has qualified in table tennis.

The latter yes, the former no.

The Americas Team champion qualifies as the continental team AND duet. If Canada was to completely implode tomorrow in the team final, the winner (the Americans likely) would get the two berths and the Canadian team would have to go qualify for the synchro events through the test event in London, which would be highly unlikely with the Japanese, Spanish and Russians having to qualify through that event.

The latter yes, the former no.

The Americas Team champion qualifies as the continental team AND duet. If Canada was to completely implode tomorrow in the team final, the winner (the Americans likely) would get the two berths and the Canadian team would have to go qualify for the synchro events through the test event in London, which would be highly unlikely with the Japanese, Spanish and Russians having to qualify through that event.

Oh okay, but in synchro that is unlikely.

Canada has just won its first swimming gold!

Faster are you sure?

My link

Its wrong, they're wrong. Qualfication system is the same as Beijing, just poorly worded.

The official qualification is worded such that it could be taken two ways, that there is seperate qualifcation or that the team gets the team and duet places. Because of previous qualifcation processes and the fact that a team will not compete without also competing with a duet indicates it is the single qualification. But there is no way to say this, unless FINA issues a clarification because the best duet and team at the world championships were the same (Australia, Egypt and China)

Women football

Canada defeated Argentina 1-0

How I love Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for eliminate Argentina from the soccer tournament! =]

Brazil has just won the female Volleyball tournament over Cuba.

One more gold for Brazil, keep (for too long time) the second place in medal table!!!

Cuba has taken over Mexico, althiugh I think this Cuban delegation is not as strong as previous ones, Brazil has to do well from now, because they are going to host the major olympic event in 2016, and they can't or better shouldn't disappoint their people, it is like a tradition, we saw that in every and each olympic games, being the host brings more medals than usual, so go Brazil.

As for Mexico I think we are doing well, Sports has never been an important topic not only for governement but for people (except during 1968 olympics), but we got talent that's a fact, I see strong contenders in diving, probably some medals in boxing, beach volleyball, and othyers, onviously pelota vasca, we did it great in artistic gymanastics.

Canada has to improve for the next games bringing a b or c team shouldn't be an excuse, they have some good athletes, and some sad absences.

USA is doing well, still the best team in the americas, but when I was in beijing I saw that China is displacing USA, maybe less budget to Sports is the reason, or maybe the budget is still high but world competitiveness has increased too.

Cuba has taken over Mexico, althiugh I think this Cuban delegation is not as strong as previous ones, Brazil has to do well from now, because they are going to host the major olympic event in 2016, and they can't or better shouldn't disappoint their people, it is like a tradition, we saw that in every and each olympic games, being the host brings more medals than usual, so go Brazil.

Montreal...

Calgary...

:rolleyes:

Oh God! I think I've just cursed Brazil for 2016!

Archived