Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

from wikipedia

Futsal, which was added as by the hosts Brazilians as an exhibition sport for the 2007 Pan American Games has been dropped. Rugby sevens will replace futsal at these games, and it will appear on the games program for the very first time. Racquetball and Basque Pelota will also return to the program after missing the last edition in Rio de Janiero.

for the Basque Pelota 10 medals events will be contested (8 men and 2 women) and for racquetball 6 medal events (3 men and 6 women)

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys, can someone tell me how many gold medals are at stake in "pelota basca" and at "racquetebol" competitions?

My friends said up to 10 golds are disputed by the competitors in "pelota basca".

that's a effin lot.

but couldn't find much about racquetebol except it's like squash...

Also, I thought the organizing country could only add one sport... Guadalajara committee added both?

I am editing wikipedia, Basque Pelota has 10 events (yes its a lot but Mexico dominates and had a choice of adding one sport, similar to Brazil choosing Futasl).

Racquetball was added by PASO so the organizing committee had no choice (with Rugby) Racquetball has 6 events up for grabs, and all I know is USA, Canada, Mexico and Bolivia are world powers in that sport.

Overall Medal tally (0ctober 16th)

USA 11 (GOLD) 5 (SILVER) 9 (BRONZE)

BRAZIL 5(GOLD) 5 (SILVER) 3 (BRONZE)

COLOMBIA 3 (GOLD) 1(SILVER) 1 (BRONZE)

MEXICO 2(GOLD) 3(SILVER) 3(BRONZE)

CANADA 2(GOLD) 3(SILVER) 3(BRONZE)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2(GOLD)

CUBA 2 (SILVER)

VENEZUELA 1(BRONZE)

Overall Medal tally (0ctober 16th)

USA 11 (GOLD) 5 (SILVER) 9 (BRONZE)

BRAZIL 5(GOLD) 5 (SILVER) 3 (BRONZE)

COLOMBIA 3 (GOLD) 1(SILVER) 1 (BRONZE)

MEXICO 2(GOLD) 3(SILVER) 3(BRONZE)

CANADA 2(GOLD) 3(SILVER) 3(BRONZE)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2(GOLD)

CUBA 2 (SILVER)

VENEZUELA 1(BRONZE)

I am predicting Mexico to finish with more gold medals, because of Basque Pelota

d35f8247-d0a1-4c09-902c-d5f2a0452d9f.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PASO congratulates Guadalajara

Guadalajara, Jalisco .- The Executive Committee of the Pan American Sports Organization agreed at its meeting of October 16, to congratulate very warmly the people of Jalisco and the Organizing Committee for the brilliant and unforgettable Opening Ceremony of the XVI Pan American Games "Guadalajara 2011", developed on 14 October.

PASO, on behalf of the 41 National Olympic Committees and participants in the Pan American Games, acknowledges the high level of artistic, cultural and organizational of the ceremony that it became clear, very significantly, hospitality, respect Guadalajara and affection towards members of the Pan American Olympic Family, to the guests and to the municipal, state and federal government as important participants in the act.

With the extraordinary and unforgettable Opening Ceremony, Guadalajara has set an important precedent for future Pan American Games, which continue to be a high priority attention to the athletes, the main protagonists of the Pan American Games.

http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n2269801.htm

It's a bit early to celebrate, but it's nice to see that, after 3 days of comps, Brazil is keeping the second place in the medal table, both in golds and total count. Mexico is showing its local advantage and it's in third.

Any predictions for the final medal table?

After today I think I may have a better way to predict if Cuba will surpass Brazil or not. They''ll get a lot better in the 2nd week, that's a fact but still to keep what they did in 2007 they should have won 4 more gols than they have (by now).

- Mexico will win a lot of gold medals with pelota basca and raquetebol but they aren't a threat to brasil.

- Canada is sucking a lot. Way down from 2007.

P.S. hey intoronto, since you're updating wikipedia do you know if the worse match race in Sailing can be discarded by the sailer like it's usual in such competitions?

Pretty much every sailing competition you can discard your worse race but I'm not sure about the pan and the official website doesn't give much info.

Does anyone know what happened to Karen Cockburn and Charles Thibault between the prelims yesterday and today? That was two assured medals disappearing without explaination.

Its unforunate, because Canada was supposed to go one-two in both events. Apparently Cockburn was sick all night and did not sleep and tried to sleep it off in the morning she came to the stadium and decided to withdraw so she didn't risk injury (cuz world championship is coming up). The same illness also sidelined Thibault.

Our trampoline team is one of the best in the world, the men's gold medalist didn't know he was competing until last week and still won.

After today I think I may have a better way to predict if Cuba will surpass Brazil or not. They''ll get a lot better in the 2nd week, that's a fact but still to keep what they did in 2007 they should have won 4 more gols than they have (by now).

- Mexico will win a lot of gold medals with pelota basca and raquetebol but they aren't a threat to brasil.

P.S. hey intoronto, since you're updating wikipedia do you know if the worse match race in Sailing can be discarded by the sailer like it's usual in such competitions?

Pretty much every sailing competition you can discard your worse race but I'm not sure about the pan and the official website doesn't give much info.

hey intoronto, don't abandon me please :)

Sorry I didn't see it until this comment. :lol:

As far as my understanding they will drop the worst race.

Our country has just gained four more athletes for London 2012 :) after we won gold at the cyclism team competitions for both men and women. Andreina Pinto and Arlene Semeco (swimming), Milángela Rosales and Luis Liendo & Ricardo Robertty (wrestling) have also qualified.

Too bad we're still on the 8th position of the medal tally :S (2 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze). We were 7th at the last games in 2007.

Our country has just gained four more athletes for London 2012 :) after we won gold at the cyclism team competitions for both men and women. Andreina Pinto and Arlene Semeco (swimming), Milángela Rosales and Luis Liendo & Ricardo Robertty (wrestling) have also qualified.

Too bad we're still on the 8th position of the medal tally :S (2 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze). We were 7th at the last games in 2007.

Sorry to burst you bubble the cycling qualification is not confirmed.

It is not so much sucking, just the lack of a credible swim team. We are still winning a fair number of medals, but only have won 2 medals in swimming so far, compared to 18 last time. The same is going to be true of athletics. The only real disappointment has been rowing, no gold medals, but it is hardly our best team. The only disappoint has been Sebastien Michaud not medalling in taekwondo. And obviously illness taking away two medals in trampoline.

It is not so much sucking, just the lack of a credible swim team. We are still winning a fair number of medals, but only have won 2 medals in swimming so far, compared to 18 last time. The same is going to be true of athletics. The only real disappointment has been rowing, no gold medals, but it is hardly our best team. The only disappoint has been Sebastien Michaud not medalling in taekwondo. And obviously illness taking away two medals in trampoline.

Our Swimming team is a C team. Our B team was to be sent but so many athletes declined. Canada's athletics team only has one medal hopeful Dylan Armstrong thats about it.

Cuba seems to be a bit decadent to me. They were really a sports power in recent past, but since Rio 2007, we see Cuba losing positions in multi-sports events...

The same with Canada, at least in PanAms.

Can Brazil emerge as the second sports power in the Americas?

Archived