Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

Temporary Athletics venue? Is it not a popular sport in Mexico?

On the whole do you know what ticket uptake has been like - was there a bit of a buzz created when tickets went on sale - are there lots of sold out events?

I'm afraid athletics are not very popular in Mexico. That and a lot of politic decisions were the ones which delayed the athletics stadium. However the rest of the venues are ready or about to be finished

this is a render which shows how the stadium will look when ready. At least it doesnt looks ugly.

14921545368688349870122.jpg

About the ticktes, here are some news (sorry for the awful Google translation):

Tickets for the Pan American Games, starting May 9

Finally announced officially the date will go on sale tickets for the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, and this will be on 9 May.

The Commercial and Marketing Director of COPAG, Horacio de la Vega, said that tickets may be purchased at the outset by ticketmaster.com.mx and by telephone.

"For the second week of May we will be launching the sale of tickets to the public, primarily through the Internet and by telephone, then the physical sale of the same," said De La Vega.

Although originally had been handled which would cost 130 pesos, tickets cost a little less, this in order that everyone can attend sporting events.

"It cost an average of 115 to 120 pesos, they are really affordable prices with what we are looking to fill the stadiums, people enjoy this event that not every day you have the privilege of having something.

"The opening and closing will have a higher cost," he said. COPAG started distributing the first entries in the various Olympic committees in Mexico.

"We started to distribute options for tickets to national Olympic committees, is an agreement we have with PASO liability," said De la Vega.

The manager also reported that the Mexican delegation expected to arrive in citys land since September.

COPAG on Thursday signed an agreement with Grupo Bajo Zero for the supply of ice at the Games.

http://www.mediotiempo.com/mas-deportes/noticias/2011/03/17/boletos-para-los-juegos-panamericanos-a-partir-del-9-de-mayo

And about the torch, the design hasnt been unveiled yet but it is expected to be shown very soon (btw i hope is not ugly like that huge Rio 2007 torch)

In other news, the pictograms for the games have been unveiled, along with new pictures (FINALLY) of the mascots with each sport

pictogramascopy.jpg

mascotaspanam.jpg

huichi.jpg

leogf.jpg

gavo.jpg

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

There are no pics yet, but it has been confirmed that chinese company Vatti (which worked on the Beijing 2008 and Guangzhou 2010 torches) will make the Guadalajara 2011 torch. It seems that the torch will have a design reminiscing of the agave leafs, representing the tequila, the traditional beverage of Guadalajara, in green, blue and white metalic colors, and it will have 70 cm of height and 1 kg of weight, with a gas cartigrade which will allow the fire to keep burning for 12 minutes.

The Pan American flame relay will start at Teotihuacan in August 26, and will cover 15.000 km during 50 days of Mexico, before the opening ceremony in October 14. There will be 3500 torch bearers.

PS: Sorry i comitted a mistake, the weight is 1,5 kg not 1 kg.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ Well those Pan Am Games venues are more simplistic compared to the Rio 2007 ones, but lets be honest, they did that because they wanted the 2016 Olympics (and they got 'em), Guadalajara didn't wanted to make overexpensive white elephants which no one is gonna use after the games.

Not all the venues are dissapointing. The Aquatic Centre and the Omnilife Stadium are kinda good. Now, if we talk about the athletics stadium, yes. That's the most dissapointing (and delayed) venue.

Anyway, i got this info. It seems BaAm Productions (http://www.baamproductions.com/ )will be in charge of Toronto 2015 handover at the closing ceremony

We play together on the Feast of America

The Organizing Committee for the XVI Pan American Games Guadalajara 2011 (COPAG), shared details for the closing of the Pan and Parapan, with the organizers of the Games of Toronto 2015.

Planning teams of ceremonies of the two committees met in the capital of Jalisco, to agree on details of protocol and closing events of the sporting event of October and November. For four days, at various meetings, there was feedback between Canada, the team BAAM Productions, a company that will materialize in the ceremony, the ideas in the next paper by Pan American hosts, with support from COPAG Five Currents and the company responsible the farewell show of the Games in Guadalajara.

The Canadian delegation reviewed the procedures for delivery of the Games, both in the closing ceremonies of the Pan American and Parapan. In Guadalajara, Canadians and toured the stadium Omnilife Telmex Athletics Stadium, will conclude the festival sites in America, and handed the post offices in Toronto 2015.

As a result of the rapprochement between the planning staff ceremonies and protocol, shared basis to present technical and creative production in a grand ceremony baton. These meetings, clinched agreements that allow the Organising Committee of Toronto 2015, displaying the closing ceremony at Guadalajara's appeal of his country, as new host of the Games, taking viewers to America and the world.

The Senior Vice President of Marketing and Revenue, the Organizing Committee for the Games of Toronto 2015, Katherine Henderson and Marketing Associate, Alexandra Michel Orlando gymnast who participated in the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, and medalist of the Pan American Games Rio 2007 , members of the Canadian delegation.

"Part of our responsibility as a committee is to organize a segment of the closing ceremony of the Pan American Games Guadalajara 2011 with the intention of inviting the athletes and the world to Toronto 2015 and have come here to create this beautiful moment, designing and make sure to integrate the audience with the time, "said Katherine Henderson.

"We come to provide some ideas about what we want to present to the audience, we have to spend time with this team to understand the technical needs of our final product and this is an incredible team. We want to understand what is technically possible and what is impossible to do, "said the Canadian.

In late July, it will set the show to be presented both in the closing ceremonies of the Pan American Games and Parapan of Guadalajara.

The Canadian delegation ended its visit to the capital of Jalisco with optimism: "We're going with the idea that the Five Currents team is tremendous, we are very confident to do together on a good show here in Guadalajara to invite the rest of the world to Toronto 2015 Pan American Games, culminating in charge of marketing.

Turn on Pan American spirit through the celebration of sport and culture, is the premise of the Organizing Committee of the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games, an event that will be a reference to transformation in the life of their communities.

In 2015, 10 to 26 July, the Pan American Games will be held in Toronto, while the Parapan will be held from 07 to 14 August. Greater Golden Horseshoe region, which encompasses 17 municipalities, will host a new continental sports meet, and attract over 10 000 athletes and delegates, who will participate in 48 sports.

Map of the venues from the official website

318719452.jpg

Latest pic from the Athletics stadium

IMG_1010.jpg

Sorry for the crappy translator, but we got more info about the opening ceremony, and also the final cost of it.

The ceremonies will be something magical and Pan American record, says Taylor

La Jornada Jalisco

June 19, 2011

GEORGINA GARCIA SOLIS

http://www.lajornada...rticle=005n2pol

The production of the opening and closing ceremonies of the Pan American Games and Parapan Guadalajara 2011 will surpass the one seen on Rio de Janeiro 2007 and similar to that presented in the Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010, said Arthur Herbert Taylor, director of this area organizing committee (Copag).

The former director of Innovation and the state government said that the four ceremonies (two of Pan American and two other Parapan) will cost $ 22 million, about 260 million pesos.

The company that won the bid is Criativa Producoes Five Currents, the same who made the ceremonies of the previous Pan American Games and are also working in the ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympic Games, said the PAN political without going into details of the conceptual proposal, because who signed a confidentiality agreement to ensure the surprise factor.

"We will far exceed the expectations were with events like the World Cup in Mexico 86, will be the best event we have, I can not get into detail about what will happen, but it will be a magical event.

"It would lose its status as a surprise (if we say the concept), it is an event held only once and must allow magic that has, as known at the present time and 120 million viewers are people who have surprisingly, this makes it special, if it could not be any circus Soleil (sic) "he said.

Although Arthur Taylor, considered the political operative of Gov. Emilio Gonzalez Marquez is currently the CEO of the National Executive Committee of the National Action Party (PAN) in Nayarit, where they are coming elections, he has continued to participate in the direction of this area of ​​the Pan American Games.

He explained that until today 100 foreign and mexican people are working in the production, but in the four ceremonies will be involved two or three thousand people.

"Definitely going to be a better event than the Rio de Janeiro should be on par (...) I can say that even better, but lets say it will be in par with the Winter Olympics one in Vancouver last year and the cost we're making because we are pushing a lot with the money, it is cheaper than in Rio de Janeiro cost, much cheaper and much better and much cheaper than Vancouver.

"The production work is in Guadalajara, the United States are getting jobs through world because much of what we are doing are international contracts have people from London, Canada. Today we have hired over 100 people working all day on this subject, which are an important part Mexican, but a very important part are people who are dedicated to making these one-time events, "he explained.

Arthur Herbert Taylor said that Five Currents Producoes Criativa was chosen through an international tender for its conceptual proposal, which is in foreclosure.

"Right now we are in the implementation of each of the processes that are going to live and the responsibility is that people leave saying, 'how wonderful', will surely be the best event that Mexico has had," he said.

I know i have a messed up memory but can someone please remind me how much did the Vancouver opening and closing ceremonies costed? (and also how much people participated on it)

Well, they want to surpass Rio in terms of being more compact and less expensive...oh, and the ceremonies, of course :lol: (considering they have a far more modern and capable stadium than the old Maracana i'm pretty sure they WILL surpass Rio on that part).

Their athletics stadium is delayed as hell, but hey, let's remember Joao Havelange Stadium was pretty delayed as well a month before the games started.

Also i find kinda curious that despite they gave a lot of details on how the torch will be, they havent released the design yet.

Better than Vancouver huh? I think we're gonna have some tons of projections like in South Africa last year. It's the way to go if you have less budget to fill a stadium with props and people. Rio's was expensive mostly because they had too keep Maracana intact and unscratched.

And well, Rio's PanAm stadium was ready by the last days of may 2007 and it wasn't the most delayed of the venues (oh those days of nightmare). GDL has 4 months to seriously rush their stadium off the ground, but since it's a very simple stadium I'm sure they'll handle it.

Better than Vancouver huh? I think we're gonna have some tons of projections like in South Africa last year. It's the way to go if you have less budget to fill a stadium with props and people. Rio's was expensive mostly because they had too keep Maracana intact and unscratched.

And well, Rio's PanAm stadium was ready by the last days of may 2007 and it wasn't the most delayed of the venues (oh those days of nightmare). GDL has 4 months to seriously rush their stadium off the ground, but since it's a very simple stadium I'm sure they'll handle it.

Vancouver's budget was $40 million for opening and closing just for the Olympics. Guadalajara's budget is $22 million for all 4 ceremonies, and with the venues looking really bad (look at the baseball and softball stadiums+weightlifting) I think it fall well short of Vancouver. There were also plans to have the ceremony on the streets not sure if that has been scrapped though.

Vancouver's budget was $40 million for opening and closing just for the Olympics. Guadalajara's budget is $22 million for all 4 ceremonies, and with the venues looking really bad (look at the baseball and softball stadiums+weightlifting) I think it fall well short of Vancouver. There were also plans to have the ceremony on the streets not sure if that has been scrapped though.

Also for performers there was 4,500. Believe me Guadalajara's will be up closer to the standards of Santo Domingo then Vancouver.

Also for performers there was 4,500. Believe me Guadalajara's will be up closer to the standards of Santo Domingo then Vancouver.

Santo Domingo was a total mess :lol: i know Guadalajara isn't doing as well as Rio but comparing it to one of the worst oganized Pan Am Games ever (opinions can differ) is kinda cruel. :P

Santo Domingo was a total mess :lol: i know Guadalajara isn't doing as well as Rio but comparing it to one of the worst oganized Pan Am Games ever (opinions can differ) is kinda cruel. :P

It is, but I am not saying it is like Santo Domingo, rather I am saying its closer to them then it is to Vancouver. BTW do you have a picture that I am able to use freely of the medals that will be awarded at the games?

Archived