Guadalajara 2011

Gdl2011

October 13

XVI PanAmerican Games are three years away from tomorrow. Here's a little update on preparations.

*Venues: Other than Guadalajara Metro Area, other four cities in the State of Jalisco will host sports: Tapalpa (Mountain Bike), Lagos de Moreno (Baseball), Ciudad Guzmán (Rowing & Canoeing) and Puerto Vallarta (Triathlon, Sailing, Beach Volley, Open Water Swimming).

*Village: it will be located downtown, near the historic buildings and will be accesible by a special BRT system currently in construction.

parquemorelosyvillapanays6.jpg

villapanamericanagva2qf0.jpg

villapanamericanahidalgps4.png

calpulalpan2vd8dk7.jpg

*Finished venues:

Volleyball

vol1bj5.png

Gymnastics

gim1ja6.png

This one will held AIBA's World Youth Championships From October 25 to November 2 2008

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update

The Official website has been remodeled and it now shows basic renders & info about the proposed, under construction and existing venues for the games; however it is not yet avaible in English.

Here's the link: http://www.guadalajara2011.org.mx/esp/index.asp

To navigate in the Spanish site:

1. Go to the main menu and select Deportes and Instalaciones

2. From the displayed options choose Infraestructura and then:

a) For new venues click Nuevas

B) For existing venues click Existentes

c) For temporary venues click Temporales

d) For PanAm Village click Villa Panamericana

Honestly, I think most of them are nice but under what I've expected, especially on their design and capacity. But Organizers say this is in order to avoid "white elefants" and make the venues a permanent training site for sportsmen/women in the State.

Of course, as time passes more detailed info and renders will be posted in this tread. Meanwhile, I would like to see your comments.

• 7 months later...

This thread has been dead for long time, so i decided to update it with pics of the constructions of the venues for the 2011 Pan Am Games

Render of the Softball stadium (under construction)

softbol.jpg

Velodrome (already finished)

velodromo171.jpg

velodromo16.jpg

Venue for the gymnastic competitions (finished)

3724340.jpg

8516523.jpg

Volleyball venue (finished)

2010370.jpg

351831.jpg

JVC Stadium (under construction)

screenhunter01apr292216pa1.gif

domingojpg2.jpg

imagen359.jpg

• 4 months later...

New update yo!

The archery venue has been completed!

campodetiroconarco1.jpg

campodetiroconarco11.jpg

New pic of the Gymnastic venue

2jaxlxd.jpg

Volleyball

51trpx.jpg

Velodrome

2e6hs09.jpg

HOCKEY STADIUM (to be completed on January 2010)

hockeyd.jpg

terrenodejuego2.jpg

SOFTBALL STADIUM

imagen0040s.jpg

Chivas Stadium (Football and possible venue of the ceremonies, but most likely to be on Jalisco Stadium)

dscf1393.jpg

dscf1377.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cGYZ5AcrLU...player_embedded

According to the info i've been reading from Skyscrapercity.com, the organizing comittee main problems right now are the construction of the Pan Am Village (jeez it seems that every Pan am games have to deal with a lot of stuff concerning the village .__.) and the Olympic Stadium. Great part of these problems are because of their locations. Mario Vasquez Raña, president of the PASO and a mexican himself (he was the president of the organizing comittee of the 1975 games on Mexico City) also shown his worries about it.

The final decision about the athletics stadium will be done on December 3 of this year.

The mascots for the 2011 Pan Am Games have been unveiled today. Like at Rio 2007, their names will be voted and chosen by the end of the year. The guys who designed them (there are three winners) have won 33.333 pesos and will have tickets for all the events for the Pan Am Games

The Lion, which represents strenght, is also a symbol of Guadalajara, being on the coat of arms

The pink deer has Huichol indigenous motifs on her face (Huichol is a native american group on the mexican region of Jalisco, on which Guadalajara is located)

The ripoff of Caue from Rio 2007 blue guy represents the Agave tequilana, plant from Jalisco from which the famous Tequila drink is obtained (the Agave is also featured on Guadalajara 2011 logo)

leon.jpg

venada.jpg

agave.jpg

Honestly, i dont really liked them that much like Caue, except for the Huichol deer, it has a pretty interesting design

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jalisco Governor Gonzalez is the new president of COPAG, the organizing committee for the 2011

The new mayor of Guadalajara, Jorge Sandoval Aristotle, who took office this month, declined to take the presidency, especially with the commanding presence the Jalisco State Government has taken in staging the games. Gonzalez stepped forward late last year to extend financial guarantees that the previous Guadalajara mayor rejected.

The Pan American Village, for which construction has just started, is now located in a suburb and the location of the stadium needed for athletics is still uncertain.

“PASO reiterates its confidence and offers its full support for the Mexican Olympic Committee, the Organizing Committee and its Chairman, in the assurance that they will know what is needed to keep up the high commitment of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, with the Olympic Family in America”, said Pan American Sports Organization President Mario Vazquez Rana in a statement after the changes were announced Jan. 22.

ATR

• 6 months later...

The new 45.000 Chivas Stadium (now called Omnilife) has been finally opened a couple of days ago. The first match was between Chivas and Manchester United (the former one won 3:2 (2:1) )

4844731319_fb06a361d4_b.jpg

4845350486_4b69103e1e_b.jpg

38886458814931419530361.jpg

39840458816146419530361.jpg

37717458818346419530361.jpg

38743458819106419530361.jpg

PD: I still dont get why they're still stubborn to make the opening ceremony at Jalisco Stadium, when you got a more modern venue (regardless that Jalisco stadium has more capacity)

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Very sad baseball venue. The Little League World Series has a better venue.

Well, at least is better than the baseball venue of Rio 2007, which was a real mess (one of the few Rio venues ho dissapointed back then) :P And besides, i dont think pan am's baseball attract that much audience so i think its ok

Well, at least is better than the baseball venue of Rio 2007, which was a real mess (one of the few Rio venues ho dissapointed back then) :P And besides, i dont think pan am's baseball attract that much audience so i think its ok

At least Rio doesn't have to worry about providing a venue for 2016, as the sport was removed from the Games.

Well, at least is better than the baseball venue of Rio 2007, which was a real mess (one of the few Rio venues ho dissapointed back then) tongue.gif And besides, i dont think pan am's baseball attract that much audience so i think its ok

Well, Rio didn't expect the winds (and the huge thunderstorm that happened in the last week of event - which is not common to happen in Rio in july) that made the venue, litterally, flies away...

That's why I'm not a huge fan of temporary venues...

But, a permanent baseball stadium in Rio would be a huge waste of money since baseball is really not popular in the city.

PS: Let's not forget how the heavy rains affected too the last matches of tennis competition, that was held in a already-designed indoor place for that.

Tennis is reasonable popular in Brazil and there were some options for a weather emergency, and this actually was sovled smoothly.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, finally we got some news for the Opening Ceremony (check this out Baron :P )

(btw sorry for the crappy translation but the original text was on spanish)

It will cost more than 20 million dollars opening of the Pan Am Games

El Occidental

4 de septiembre de 2010

José Mendoza Navarro

http://www.oem.com.mx/eloccidental/notas/n1770604.htm

Between 20 and cost $ 25 million opening of Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games, said the mayor Jorge Sandoval Díaz Aristotle, after the meeting held by members of the Organizing Committee with the Director General of National Sports Council (Conade) Bernardo de la Garza.

They announced that they agreed to held the opening in several venues, as well for a grand parade, in such a way that all people feel the Games and participate in them, and that Omnilife Stadium will be host where the inauguration will conclude.

It was confirmed that during the sports tournament classes will be suspended in the schools of the metropolitan area in order to reduce the traffic load and alleviates the roads and, secondly, that students could attend the competitions.

Diaz Sandoval said the countdown begins next October with the opening of the "Pan American Clock" in the Old Town Square. Resources for the inauguration of the games will come from the Federation, the state and the sponsors.

The meeting of the members of the Organizing Committee of the Pan American Games Guadalajara 2011 (Copag) was held behind closed doors at Casa Jalisco and the conclusion of the conference participants agreed that everything will be on time.

Sandoval Diaz said the inauguration will be spectacular, mainly because the festivities will extend to all Guadalajara with events in different areas of the city.

"Today we defined the opening of the opening day is going be taken to (...) the general public in different parts of the city, culminating in Zapopan in Omnilife Stadium," said the first mayor of Guadalajara.

For its part, the director of Copag, Carlos Andrade Garin, said he did not yet know what the exact cost of the inauguration is: "We're making the budget, we still dont have the exact cost"

He recalled that there was still works in construction and its needed to do some international contracts: "You have to calculate up how many eggs, how many tomatoes, everything has a price and we are working on that."

So, it looks like they're already seen Omnilife Stadium potential to put a good show, eh? :lol:

Apparently (and much like Guangzhou wants to do with their opening ceremony as well) they are aiming to a different type of opening ceremony, as they want to put the show on the streets of Guadalajara. The show will conclude on the Omnilife Stadium, so it seems that this opening could be even more expensive than the one held in Rio 2007...i believe :huh: (Baron, do you happen to have the budget for the 2007 ceremonies?)

(Baron, do you happen to have the budget for the 2007 ceremonies?)

Thanks, Jose. No, I don't...and that Scott Givens (the Exec Producer whom I interviewed) wouldn't open up. He used the usual excuses of "confidentiality," etc., etc.)

Hmmmmm, if I can get tix to the Opening, that'll be my excuse to visit Mexico for the 1st time. So when will it be again?

Thanks, Jose. No, I don't...and that Scott Givens (the Exec Producer whom I interviewed) wouldn't open up. He used the usual excuses of "confidentiality," etc., etc.)

Hmmmmm, if I can get tix to the Opening, that'll be my excuse to visit Mexico for the 1st time. So when will it be again?

I see, thats a shame. It would be interesting to make some comparison and see if this ceremony will have more budget than Rio (although the fact that they're making the show at both the city itself and the stadium would make it expensive)

The opening cereremony will be on October 13, 2011. I think i've read that they will also announce who or which will be the company that will direct the ceremonies (but they also told that, despite the rumours, Guillermo del Toro will not participate)

the next month

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but hey, at least this is better than all the Delay 2011 fiasco :lol: , and i'm sure the security of the athletes and spectators will be assured.

Anyway, a little rumour that i've heard. Last week was the Bicentennial of Mexico independence. There are rumours that the company which made the show, K-Events, would make the opening and closing ceremonies.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2010/16/c9829.html Read for more info about the bicentennial (Ric Birch was also involved )

Some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQsOdTTsvvY

If the plans for the opening ceremony also include to make a parade through Guadalajara, i think awarding the organization to K-Events would be appropiate, since the style of the bicentennial show is similar to the one planned for the Pan Ams (since they want both a parade and a show in the stadium)

For those who doesnt know (although i think most of us know already) these guys were responsable for the Torino 2006 opening and closing ceremonies.

PS: On the second video they even copied Torino 2006 opening countdown..how original :lol:

Archived