London explosions

As you see I write 'and not only'.

Australia and US media were also against any Greek effort. It doesn't have any meaning to talk about it anymore, because the result is that absolutely nothing happened during the Olympic Games of Athens.

But in the past yourself and other Greek members (especially the influx of new members we saw around the time Athens 2004 was happening in August 2004), mainly blamed the British media, especially after the games, when Athens was declared a success.

Sure, there was criticism from the UK media, but I don't think Britain was really the harshest critic of Athens, and of Greece. The fact that so many British fans travelled to Athens, was proof that the public did have confidence in the Greeks (unlike Australia and the USA).

In the run up to Athens the BOA were really showing great confidence in the Greek authorities and announcing this publicly (in the newspapers/TV etc).

The Australians were by far the harshest critics, and I think a lot of Greek people seem to have ignored this, and do not wish to criticise Australia due to the strong ties with that country, and the fact that so many greek people live there (especially in Melbourne).

This is unfair.....

I'm very proud that there were more Brits in Athens than anybody except Greeks themselves . We helped to make it a success alongside them in our way .

The nazis couldn't bomb London into submission , neither could the IRA . Al Quaida certainly won't .

Security for the olympics will be as professional and experienced as it is possible to get .

PROVOS not the IRA, PROVOS, PROVOS has been responcible for almost every terrorist attack coming out of Ireland since they split with the IRA in the 70's. The now IRA wanted to go in a more peaceful direction, while the people that formed PROVOS still wanted to blow things up.

Please stop making excuses for the IRA. You've posted similar posts to this one in the past.

Whether it was the IRA or provos that subjected the UK to 30 years of terrorism (i'm including Real IRA attacks in 2001), all of them are bad people, who wanted to/ and may continue to kill and injure people.

As for the peaceful direction stuff....remember- Northern Ireland suffered it's worst terror attack in Omagh (summer 1998), after the Good Friday peace agreement was signed earlier that year in 1998.

PROVOS not the IRA, PROVOS, PROVOS has been responcible for almost every terrorist attack coming out of Ireland since they split with the IRA in the 70's. The now IRA wanted to go in a more peaceful direction, while the people that formed PROVOS still wanted to blow things up.

Please stop making excuses for the IRA. You've posted similar posts to this one in the past.

Whether it was the IRA or provos that subjected the UK to 30 years of terrorism (i'm including Real IRA attacks in 2001), all of them are bad people, who wanted to/ and may continue to kill and injure people.

As for the peaceful direction stuff....remember- Northern Ireland suffered it's worst terror attack in Omagh (summer 1998), after the Good Friday peace agreement was signed earlier that year in 1998.

well said Suit U Sir.

For those who have not seen this, our Mayor - Ken Livingstones statement yesterday was one of the most moving pronouncements I've heard for a long time.  Many people dislike our Mayor, but read this extract and weep!!

"I want to say one thing specifically to the world today. This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful. It was not aimed at Presidents or Prime Ministers.  It was aimed at ordinary, working-class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christian, Hindu and Jew, young and old. It was an indiscriminate attempt to slaughter, irrespective of any considerations for age, for class, for religion, or whatever.

That isn't an ideology, it isn't even a perverted faith – it is just an indiscriminate attempt at mass murder and we know what the objective is.  They seek to divide Londoners. They seek to turn Londoners against each other.  I said yesterday to the International Olympic Committee, that the city of London is the greatest in the world, because everybody lives side by side in harmony. Londoners will not be divided by this cowardly attack. They will stand together in solidarity alongside those who have been injured and those who have been bereaved and that is why I'm proud to be the mayor of that city.

Finally, I wish to speak directly to those who came to London today to take life.

I know that you personally do not fear giving up your own life in order to take others – that is why you are so dangerous. But I know you fear that you may fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society and I can show you why you will fail.

In the days that follow look at our airports, look at our sea ports and look at our railway stations and, even after your cowardly attack, you will see that people from the rest of Britain, people from around the world will arrive in London to become Londoners and to fulfil their dreams and achieve their potential.

They choose to come to London, as so many have come before because they come to be free, they come to live the life they choose, they come to be able to be themselves.  They flee you because you tell them how they should live. They don’t want that and nothing you do, however many of us you kill, will stop that flight to our city where freedom is strong and where people can live in harmony with one another. Whatever you do, however many you kill, you will fail".

I send my heartfelt condolances to all victims of this terrible tragedy, and to all British people. This I know: Britons are a resilient people, having overcome everything thrown at them, including surviving Nazi bombardment. We're seeing that resiliency now at a most important time. It should also be important that people of all faiths and ethnicities in Britain come together to grieve, mourn, but also defend one another. Right now, we're truly seeing a Great Britain, so I guess now would be a good time to post this:

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and Glorious,

Long to reign over us;

God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,

Scatter her enemies

And make them fall;

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

Oh, save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store

On her be pleased to pour;

Long may she reign;

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice,

God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,

But be God's mercies known,

From shore to shore!

Lord make the nations see,

That men should brothers be,

And form one family,

The wide world over

From every latent foe,

From the assassins blow,

God save the Queen!

O'er her thine arm extend,

For Britain's sake defend,

Our mother, prince, and friend,

God save the Queen!

Or for those in favour of a republic, I apologize but I can't think of other songs to post here.  Let me know of some, though I do know of Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

'Land of Hope and Glory' is much better. Or can we get away with 'Rule Brittania'?

Yes, if he said that from the heart, he has every right to call himself London Mayor.

Like what you've done with your avatar RH ;)

I saw it live on BBC News 24 and he had no notes, it was unrehearsed and he was almost breaking down as he said it, but was determined to finish. I concur with Aly's original post. Ken Livingstone isn't everyone's choice either politically or otherwise, but you cannot fault his leadership at times such as this. He and Blair have been exemplary both regading the Olympic bid and the London bombings. No one should take this away from them, whatever they think of them otherwise.

I was moved by the mayors speech. I may be a critic of his but his speech was heartfelt and said everything that needed to be said. It brought a tear to my eye. I was even more determined to get on the tube the next day. In fact, I made a point of going out after work for a drink and doing some shopping in Oxford Street this morning. They won't get the better of me.

Archived