Yahoo!   My Yahoo!   Mail Search

the Web

Yahoo! News Sign In

New User? Sign Up

News Home - Help

Top Stories

Search

for

Home Top Stories Entertainment Oddly Enough World Business Tech Science Photos Video

Reuters | ITN | Press Association | AFP | Sky News | The Scotsman | Photos

Thursday July 7, 10:45 AM

Blasts Hit London Bus And Underground

An explosion has "ripped a bus apart" just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground.Scotland Yard has confirmed there has been an explosion on a bus in Tavistock Place. Union sources claim there have been reports of blasts on three different buses.

Witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip though a bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang. I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," she said.

Another witness, Angie, told Sky news: "There were a whole lot of people around the bus. Next thing I was on the floor and there were a lot of people on me.

"I thought I was going to be crushed. The bus was ripped out at the back. It must have been a bomb."

Scotland Yard could not confirm reports of an explosion on a bus in Russell Square. A spokeswoman said police were at the scene and attempting to determine what had happened.

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."

More from Sky News:

Survivors Describe Explosions

Your Experiences Underground Tube Blasts

Bus 'Ripped In Two' By Blast

Click here for more breaking stories from Sky News

· Shares Crash As Blasts Hit Tube

· Latest Video Clips

· German Teen Admits Making Hi-Tech Virus

Email this article - View most sent articles - Print this page Print this page - Get news on your mobile

Mail Get your own free Yahoo! email address: Sign up

More From > Top Stories

Previous Story: After 2012 Joy, London's Work Begins ( Sky News)

Next Story: Survivors Describe Explosions ( Sky News)

Yahoo! Full Coverage > Madrid Train Blasts

Previous Story: Your Experiences Underground Tube Blasts ( Sky News)

Next Story: Explosions reported on three buses ( PA)

Yahoo! Full Coverage > London Olympic Games bid 2012 | Yahoo! UK News

Next Story: Police still investigating explosions as terrorist incident UPDATE ( )

Yahoo! Full Coverage > London Underground News

Next Story: Markets reel after "major incident" in London ( Reuters)

News Photos

Home Top Stories Entertainment Oddly Enough World Business Tech Science Photos Video

Copyright © 2005 BSkyB. All rights reserved. Republication or redissemination of the contents

of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of BSkyB.

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! UK Limited. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Help - Ad Feedback

PLEASE DO NOT START WITH THE FOLLOWING POSTS....

"...surely London cannot stage the games now"

"....the Games should now go to Paris becuase it will be safer"

"....Jacques Rogge will now question the decision to give the Olympics to London and choose to stage the games elsewhere"  

ETC....ETC...ETC....    :rolleyes:

No city in the world can prevent TERRORISM!  They can guard against it and work towards a tight security plan for such incidents, but they will never be able to control the actions of sick individuals who choose to kill!

I am a Londoner who has lived in East London all of my life. I love my country and am very proud to be British and a Londoner.  There is even more reason, given such tragic events, that London should stage the Olympic Games.

We cannot allow such evil acts to destroy the hope and vision of the worlds greatest cities to stage such a wonderful event.

London has a very effective emergency plan for such terrorist attacks. Our experience of the IRA and it's attacks upon London have allowed for a tight emergency plan which is presently in force.

When the Olympics take place in 7 years time, the world will witness security like it has never seen. The world be welcomed to one of the safest games in it's history!

Greece has suffered from sporadic terrorist attacks in the past and just look what a wonderful Games they staged for the world!

Just as Spain did in Barcelona in 1992 besides the constant threat of ETA wich in the 80's killed hundreds of people with their cruelty terrorism.

Do not relate the London underground blasts with the Games, because it's nothing to do. It's probably related to the G-(, as Blair has said

Remember Atlanta, it's not a city who have suffered any terrorism, but in the 1996 Games there was an attack at the Olympic Park.

As The Torchsaid

No city in the world can prevent TERRORISM!

What a sad true  :sleepy:

Official Response of the International Olympic Committee

IOC STATEMENT

07 July 2005

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) would like to send a message of support to London, following the tragic events of the past hours.  IOC President, Jacques Rogge, has personally expressed his sympathy in writing to the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, and to the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone.

It is a very sad fact of society today that tragic and shocking attacks of this nature can happen in any city at any time.  

The IOC’s thoughts are with all those who are personally affected

I have never been a London supporter for the Olympics.I prefered NY or Paris.But now,after this tragic attack,i became a London 2012 fanatic.Those bastards have to understand that they will not win,they must understand that they will lose this battle.Everyone must support London,every Greek must support the Olympics in London (although the Brits have never supported us in any occasion).I am waiting to submit for becoming a volunteer for the Olympics in London.Freedom and Democracy is not afraid of some bombs and some deaths caused by sick minds.We are all Londoners now.

PLEASE DO NOT START WITH THE FOLLOWING POSTS....

"...surely London cannot stage the games now"

"....the Games should now go to Paris becuase it will be safer"

"....Jacques Rogge will now question the decision to give the Olympics to London and choose to stage the games elsewhere"  

ETC....ETC...ETC....    :rolleyes:

No city in the world can prevent TERRORISM!  They can guard against it and work towards a tight security plan for such incidents, but they will never be able to control the actions of sick individuals who choose to kill!

I am a Londoner who has lived in East London all of my life. I love my country and am very proud to be British and a Londoner.  There is even more reason, given such tragic events, that London should stage the Olympic Games.

We cannot allow such evil acts to destroy the hope and vision of the worlds greatest cities to stage such a wonderful event.

London has a very effective emergency plan for such terrorist attacks. Our experience of the IRA and it's attacks upon London have allowed for a tight emergency plan which is presently in force.

When the Olympics take place in 7 years time, the world will witness security like it has never seen. The world be welcomed to one of the safest games in it's history!

Who do you think is going to do this?

For most of the world there are considerations more important than the Olympics.

I logged on to GamesBids just to say this.........my prayers and thoughts go to the citizens of London. This is truly tragic.

I also have to say that this attack was quite coincidental. 24 hours ago, London was celebrating Olympic victory. 24 hours later, it's mourning on one of its worse terrorist attacks in history.

PROVOS not the IRA, PROVOS, PROVOS has been responcible for almost every terrorist attack coming out of Ireland since they split with the IRA in the 70's. The now IRA wanted to go in a more peaceful direction, while the people that formed PROVOS still wanted to blow things up.

Well I was a Londoner for a scant five months, but I still have a small attachment to the wonderful city. So I was sickened  this morning when I heard the news. Seeing this nonsense once again take so many innocent lives -- just so frustrating. I remember September of 2001, when outpouring of support from England was an inspiration. I hope we in the USA can return the gesture. Stay strong London. I know you guy sare tougher   then the bastards that did this. Good luck and God bless.

AJ

I have never been a London supporter for the Olympics.I prefered NY or Paris.But now,after this tragic attack,i became a London 2012 fanatic.Those bastards have to understand that they will not win,they must understand that they will lose this battle.Everyone must support London,every Greek must support the Olympics in London (although the Brits have never supported us in any occasion).I am waiting to submit for becoming a volunteer for the Olympics in London.Freedom and Democracy is not afraid of some bombs and some deaths caused by sick minds.We are all Londoners now.

Alexandros, thank you for your support. It is really appreciated.

But I would like to say that except for the Greeks, the largest supporters at the Athens Games were those from Britain. The British Prime Minister supported your Games, Sebastian Coe said the Athens Games would be a tremendous success, when others were saying that they were going to fail because they wouldn't be ready. The Bristish have a strong regard for the Greeks and the BBC gave more coverage of the Athens Olympics than any other previous one. It was all positive and supportive. I don't know where you get your information from, but I think you are mistaken. I and many others had a fanstastic 2 weeks in 2004, not to mention my many holidays in Greece before that!

a tragic day for the people and london and great britain. My thoughts are with all those caught up in these attacks

Thank you Michael too. You are lovely people from a beautiful country. I have a lot great friends which I made in NZ when I visited and without exception all of them have e-mailed me today to offer the people of London their thoughts and prayers. It's so good to have such strong support from people so far away.

I send my heartfelt condolances to all victims of this terrible tragedy, and to all British people. This I know: Britons are a resilient people, having overcome everything thrown at them, including surviving Nazi bombardment. We're seeing that resiliency now at a most important time. It should also be important that people of all faiths and ethnicities in Britain come together to grieve, mourn, but also defend one another. Right now, we're truly seeing a Great Britain, so I guess now would be a good time to post this:

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and Glorious,

Long to reign over us;

God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,

Scatter her enemies

And make them fall;

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

Oh, save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store

On her be pleased to pour;

Long may she reign;

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice,

God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,

But be God's mercies known,

From shore to shore!

Lord make the nations see,

That men should brothers be,

And form one family,

The wide world over

From every latent foe,

From the assassins blow,

God save the Queen!

O'er her thine arm extend,

For Britain's sake defend,

Our mother, prince, and friend,

God save the Queen!

Or for those in favour of a republic, I apologize but I can't think of other songs to post here.  Let me know of some, though I do know of Swing Low Sweet Chariot.

Update: 37 killed, 700 injured.

It's a miracle only 2 people died on the no.30 bus, that was targetted yesterday. I'm sure everyone's seen the state of that bus.

But there's 17 critically injured, with life threatening injuries, so the death toll is expected to rise.

But some news agencies around the world already are saying 52/53 dead (eg. Australia).

Thank God the death toll wasn't higher, remember Madrid (191 dead), Bali (202 dead), NYC on 9/11 (roughly 2,800 dead).

It's a miracle that the death toll hasn't emulated such figures.

Everyone must support London,every Greek must support the Olympics in London (although the Brits have never supported us in any occasion)

Most of us wanted Greece to win the European Cup after England got knocked out, mainly because they were the underdogs.

As for preventing terrorism - there are reports that the London bomb could have been a suicide bomber, which would be unprecedented for western Europe.  It's extremely difficult to stop people who strap themselves with high explosives, and hide them under a coat.  Killing themselves in the belief that they will go to a greater place in the name of their sick religious beliefs.

Alexandros, thank you for your support. It is really appreciated.

But I would like to say that except for the Greeks, the largest supporters at the Athens Games were those from Britain. The British Prime Minister supported your Games, Sebastian Coe said the Athens Games would be a tremendous success, when others were saying that they were going to fail because they wouldn't be ready. The Bristish have a strong regard for the Greeks and the BBC gave more coverage of the Athens Olympics than any other previous one. It was all positive and supportive. I don't know where you get your information from, but I think you are mistaken. I and many others had a fanstastic 2 weeks in 2004, not to mention my many holidays in Greece before that!

It's off topic, but the british media (and not only) did their best to scare people to come in Athens.

It's off topic, but the british media (and not only) did their best to scare people to come in Athens.

It didn't work though, because like previously mentioned, the British Supporters in Greece were only outnumbered by the home Greek supporters.  :wink:

Another act of defiance in this face of threat and terror from the common people.

I think you'll find it was the AUSTRALIAN media that were most critical of Athens.

Australia wanted to send it's own security forces to protect Australian athletes. In comparison the British said they had full confidence in the Greeks, and actually helped with the security.

The Australians were constantly saying " at this stage in 1999, Sydney was complete etc....".

The IOC actually told some senior Australians to be quiet for their constant criticism of Athens.

But the Greeks do not wish to criticise Australia- because there's so many of you living there, of course, Britain is the scapegoat once again.

As you see I write 'and not only'.

Australia and US media were also against any Greek effort. It doesn't have any meaning to talk about it anymore, because the result is that absolutely nothing happened during the Olympic Games of Athens.

Archived