Divided loyalties

Well, this one is very tricky. With only a few days to go until the big vote in Singapore, I go and get myself a great new boyfriend. The problem comes when I tell you that he is French and also originally from Paris. Things are made even worse because he is also a supporter of the Paris bid. Things are going to get tricky.

This made me think that maybe there are other people here with divided loyalties or people who have found it difficult to support one city over another. Maybe you lived in one city but grew up in another.

I think it will be a testing time for me on July 6th. I have warned my new BF that maybe it's best that we don't watch the vote together. It could be my shortest relationship ever. LOL

You lucky b*******! Going out and getting a new bf just as I go through a messy break-up with my "one and only" of the past seven years!

I think it certainly is best you don't watch the vote together. I went through something similar once with my then partner when we went to a football match and supported different teams _ it got really ugly when my team trounced them! Some things may appear trivial on the surface, but it doesn't mean we don't get all caught up on them. At least one person in your household will be happy come what may on July 7!

for me the fact that i'm from the philippines it would dictate that i should supporting NYC or Madrid. i know for sure that our IOC member might vote for either NYC for political purpose or Madrid for historical linkage. I won't be surprise if he votes for Madrid since he is of Spanish ancestry. I'm supporting London with Paris close behind.

You lucky b*******! Going out and getting a new bf just as I go through a messy break-up with my "one and only" of the past seven years!

I think it certainly is best you don't watch the vote together. I went through something similar once with my then partner when we went to a football match and supported different teams _ it got really ugly when my team trounced them! Some things may appear trivial on the surface, but it doesn't mean we don't get all caught up on them. At least one person in your household will be happy come what may on July 7!

Sorry to hear about the break up Roltel.

I think it's probably best that we do watch the result seperately, although I don't think it will be a problem afterwards. Neither of us is the gloating type and I am sure it will all be yesterdays news after a few days.

Well, this one is very tricky. With only a few days to go until the big vote in Singapore, I go and get myself a great new boyfriend. The problem comes when I tell you that he is French and also originally from Paris. Things are made even worse because he is also a supporter of the Paris bid. Things are going to get tricky.

This made me think that maybe there are other people here with divided loyalties or people who have found it difficult to support one city over another. Maybe you lived in one city but grew up in another.

I think it will be a testing time for me on July 6th. I have warned my new BF that maybe it's best that we don't watch the vote together. It could be my shortest relationship ever. LOL

Why would you change allegiance just because you have a new partner?  The bid of the country you support has nothing to do with love life;  why should i affect it?  Unless of course this is a bit of fun    :laughlong:  and you had nothing interesting to say about the bids.  Anyhow, i think it would be a bit weak to switch city on this basis.  P.S. Which city were you hoping to win, i've forgotten.

You should've chosen Dutch like I did then you would never have had anything to worry about ! lol

Why would you change allegiance just because you have a new partner?  The bid of the country you support has nothing to do with love life;  why should i affect it?  Unless of course this is a bit of fun    :laughlong:  and you had nothing interesting to say about the bids.  Anyhow, i think it would be a bit weak to switch city on this basis.  P.S. Which city were you hoping to win, i've forgotten.

Try reading the post before you respond to it next time. Did I ever mention that I was considering changing my alliegance due to a relationship....NO!

'This made me think that maybe there are other people here with divided loyalties or people who have found it difficult to support one city over another. Maybe you lived in one city but grew up in another.'

I assumed from this paragraph that you might now support the same bid as your b/f.  Key parts i will highlight for your attention to make it easier for you:  'difficult to support one city over another' &  'divided loyalties'.  Sorry for maybe mis-interpreting your post or missing something in it.  Maybe you could try reading the posts fully as well.  You obviously missed the bit in mine where i asked you a question.  someone doesn't practice what they preach.

'This made me think that maybe there are other people here with divided loyalties or people who have found it difficult to support one city over another. Maybe you lived in one city but grew up in another.'

I assumed from this paragraph that you might now support the same bid as your b/f.  Key parts i will highlight for your attention to make it easier for you:  'difficult to support one city over another' &  'divided loyalties'.  Sorry for maybe mis-interpreting your post or missing something in it.  Maybe you could try reading the posts fully as well.  You obviously missed the bit in mine where i asked you a question.  someone doesn't practice what they preach.

Not worthy of a response.

Mallaka and his bitter tone...  :rolleyes: The day you bite your own tongue you'll die poisoned.

I should support both Paris and New York because I lived there few months and also I should not support Madrid because it is the biggest rival of my born city, Barcelona. Anyway I live here in Madrid, so...

Mallaka and his bitter tone...  :rolleyes: The day you bite your own tongue you'll die poisoned.

I should support both Paris and New York because I lived there few months and also I should not support Madrid because it is the biggest rival of my born city, Barcelona. Anyway I live here in Madrid, so...

Oh Ydum, I actually find that rather an evil thing to say about someone!!!    

mallaka hasn't actually changed his mind or his allegiance to London - but just stated a fact that when you are in this position it is rather hard to state your true feelings to your partner and that things could get difficult!!!!!  

I think the question you should be answering is, would you feel the same way in his position???

I apologise if you meant this in a different way, but it was rather hard not to take it the way that I did!!!  :shocked:

Kind regards

Beth

I was just refering to the argue he was having with easysurfer. He was the one who was arguing, not me  :shocked:

BTW, don't take the poison sentence too serious: is just a literally translated very-common Spanish sarcastic joke.

Far be it for me to advise on people's relationship matters, but the slightly nasty streak in me would like to see you watch the vote together and see what happens.

Are you a naturally diplomatic person?

We should rename this "the cross wires" thread. lol

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I wish I had never started the damn thread now. It was just a personal situation that I was in, and wondered if anyone else had found themselves in a similar situation. It is typical of the way these boards have gone recently. Every thread is twisted into an arguement.

In answer to your question Arwebb, the thought had crossed my mind. I am sure both of us would accept whatever decision is made, but I think that any one of us would be terrible company for the other one if we lost.

Well, I guess I should be supporting London because of the filial links between Australia and the Commonwealth, but then again the bloody Poms did little else bar export convicts and hoist some ridiculous royals on Australia. And as my heritage is a mix of Scots and German, then anything to see the verdammte Sassenachs lose face is sehr bonzer.  :D  :P

But then again, London 2012 has a lot of SOCOG folk involved, so maybe I should support them instead of, say, Paris, which after all couldn't even let Le Corbuisier go ahead with the Voisin Plan for the left bank, plus the Frogs are so damned precious about how good their wine and food is to the point they can't stand great Aussie reds, whites and cheeses being sold with names like Bourdeaux, Brie or whatever...plus our diggers have had to fight twice for the liberation of France but when did France ever send troops to help Australia...

And as for Moscow and Madrid...what did they ever do for Aussies? And aside from 'The Sopranos' which is in New Jersey ferchrissake why should I support NYC2012... :D  :laughlong:

On second thoughts...go Leipzig 2012!!

Archived