Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

olympics08

Videos Of Olympic (and Other Sports Events) Opening/closing Cereemonies

I saw that thread was down, here's its replacement!

If you find videos (i.e. Youtube) an OC or CC of a sports event (Olympics or lower level Games like the Pan Am Games) you can post it here!

I found something... I'll post it here to start...

Hey! Why is the account of my subscriber (ikarus362) closed?

While waiting for Guardian (rockies77) to upload the Beijing ceremonies, I will present to you this...

OC of the 1998 Asian Games.

This entirely shows a performance as a tribute to the volunteers, I think.

The clips are with Thai commentary, this is from the host country's live broadcast of the OC.

Three songs are played here.

Hmmm. After watching for the first time (I have no memory of watching this OC since I was little at that time) I think this is the OC pre-show!

The songs here are:

1. By a children's choir and a Christian (Thailand is a Buddhist state, however) choir: "O I Say" by the Thai king himself.

2. The orchestra performed "Sweet Words" also by HM The King, and

3. "Shwerdeda" (am I right?) played by a band with Western and traditional instruments. Their leader is an American, I think.

I tended to watch part 3, but it seems unavailable. According to the only comment there, that part is the last part of the pre-show. A Thai singer sang one last song before, I think, an intermission was called to allow for the start of the OC itself. The clip, according to the comment ended with the countdown.

Part 3 is now availble again at last!

It starts with the continuation of the song from the last clip. And he's right, it was followed by the last song sung by the choirs, the band, amd a Thai balladeer. The last song was entitled "Friendship Beyond Frontiers", which I think is one of the Games' official songs. No intermission, unlike what I thought, the clip ends straight into the countdown from 10. Can you compare the fireworks with SLC, Athens, Torino and Beijing? They're comparerable!

This part begins with "The Dawn", the first segment of the OC. Performers in Thai costumes and carrying traditional props enter the stadium. Following them is a float with a Thai creature sittingh on it. They then rushed to the center of the stadium, where they pull out white and gold silk. The performers left the stadium followed by the float. As they do so, more silk (red silk) enter andx formed the logo of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA). At the end the silk left with a windmill/flower like configuration.

The next segment, "United Asia", begins with martial arts performers entering the stadium. Then they shoot up their parasols, forming - surprise - the Olympic Rings!

The segment is to be continued...

This begins with the continuation of the "United Asia" segment from part 4. The performers form a configuration like the flag of Ukraine (with purple rather than blue, and upside-down too). Then it ends with those performers raising up parasols to form a mosaic of the flags of the participating countries in the Asian Games in Bangkok.

In the next segment 'Muay Thai", it's kinda like the 'Beyond All Barriers" segment in the Seoul 1988 OC. Muay thai is a Thai martial art which is similar to kickboxing. At the end, with their pompoms (they're not cheerleaders) they form the logo of the 13th Asian Games.

This part ends with the start of the next segment "Saswadee Chai-Yo" which is similar to the "New Sprouts" segment of the Seoul 1988 OC. The title means "Hello Chai-Yo!" Chai-Yo, whose name is Thai for unity and solidarity, is the 13th Asian Games' elephant mascot. Saswadee is both a Thai greeting and farewell.

The segment continues in part 6...

Two things to rush about the Bangkok 1998 OC:

- At the end of "United Asia", the mosaic gardually disappears, saving the Thai flag in the middle. (Thailand is the host)

- The lanter thingy with the sun in "The Dawn" wwould be used again later, for a surprise purpose!

This begins with the continuation of the "Saswadee Chai-Yo" segment from part 5, where children in the colors of the Games' logo (those in red carry hoops, those in blue with ribbons and those in yellow with balls) dance and form a face. The face was shown smiling, then winking. There are performers holding huge balls, paper boats, airplanes, even shuttlecocks (as in badminton) and dumbells (weightlifting). A giant gift box then entered. What inside? It opened. It's the mascot himself, Chai-Yo! He was then floated into the air as children form the word "Saswadee" in Thai and transliterated scripts.

The performers left the stadium through the north entrance, while Chai-Yo was pulled out of the stadium.

The next part was cut short, but I think that's the part where the President of the Bangkok organizing committee and that of the OCA (Sheikh Fahad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah) was introduced.

In the last part, volunteers formed before the royal box, as the Royal Family of Thailand (HM The King Bhumibol Adulyadej, HM The Queen Sirikit and HRH The Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn) entered it. Once they stood in their seats, the volunteers began to sing "Phra Samsoen Pha Barani", the royal anthem of Thailand.

The royal anthem of Thailand from the last part of part 6 is continued and finished at the first part of this clip.

"Phleng Samsoen Phra Barani" - Royal Anthem of Thailand

(Transliteration in parenthesis)

ข้าวรพุทธเจ้า (Kha wora Phutthachao)

เอามโนและศิรกราน (Ao mano lae sira kran)

นบพระภูมิบาล บุญญะดิเรก (Nop phra phummiban buniyadirek)

เอกบรมจักริน (Ek borommachakkrin)

พระสยามินทร์ (Phra sayamin)

พระยศยิ่งยง (Phra yotsa ying yong)

เย็นศิระเพราะพระบริบาล (Yen sira phro phra boriban)

ผลพระคุณ ธ รักษา (Phon phra khun tha raksa)

ปวงประชาเป็นศุขสานต์ (Puang phracha pen sukkhasan)

ขอบันดาล (Kho bandan)

ธ ประสงค์ใด (Tha prasong dai)

จงสฤษดิ์ (Chong sarit)

ดังหวังวรหฤทัย (Dang wang wara haruethai)

ดุจจะถวายชัย ชโย! (Dut cha thawai chai chayo)

Translation

I, servant of His Majesty,

Extend my heart and body to his feet,

To pay respect and give praise

To the protector of the country,

To the great Chakri Dynasty,

To the leader of the Siamese people in might and splendor,

The people, in peace and contentment

From his tireless labor and guidance,

Pray, that whatever he wills,

Will come to pass for his glory

The royal anthem is played when a Thai royalty enters or leaves a function. It is also played on state occasisons, before the start of movie showings in theaters, and before the start of concerts, musicals, plays and other performing arts. It is also played on several radio and TV networks in Thailand when opening and closing broadcasts each day.

(the channel where the OC clips came from.

(wordless violin version)

After the anthem was finished the Prime Minister of Thailand at that time, Chuan Leekpai, read a short speech, wishing the King well, as the day of the Bangkok 1998 OC almost coincieded with his birthday, December 5. (The Games opened December 6.) Everybody (except the roval family) then stood for the performance (by the choirs) of a song praising the Thai king which is traditionally sung on his birthday every year. During this the volunteers that sung the royal anthem earlier led everyone (including the prime minister) in taking out and lighting special candles for the King. At the end they formed the King's initials "Phor Por Ror". The stadium announcer then introduced the musical emsembles to the King. The announcement was then repeated in English.

Then Thai soldiers entered the stadium, leading a brass band while the volunteers act as the marshalls. This is the start of the parade of nations which begins on the next part.

This starts with the brass band from where we left off, then flagbearers whose flags have the 13th Asian Games logo on them. Then we have a delegation (probably from the Asian Youth Camp, hence this was lead by a placard saying "Youth Camp") symbolize that all Asian have landed on Bangkok's soil. Finally a banner with the phrase (in Thai and English) "13th Asian Games Bangkok 1998" written on it.

Then, this is it. The parade of nations!

Led by a placards (as usual), each delegation enters the stadium, the order dertermoned by the Thai alphabet.

Nations that appear in this part:

Cambodia

Qatar

Korea (South Korea)

Kazakhstan

Kuwait

Kyrgyztan

Jordan

People's Republic of China (China written on placard)

Saudi Arabia

Syrian Arab Republic (Syria written on placard)

Japan

More of the parade of nations.

Turkmenistan

Chinese Taipei

Tajikistan

Nepal

Brunei Darussalam (Placard: Brunei)

Bangladesh

Bahrain

Pakistan

Palestine

Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea, placard: DPR Korea)

Philippines (world famous bowler Paeng Nepomuceno was the flag bearer)

Bhutan

Mongolia

Maldives

Macau (last participation as Portugese colony, 2002 Asian Games is the first participation as Macau, China)