Toronto 2015

Apple

Even though they've bid twice before, made the shortlist both times and even got more votes than mighty Paris one time. You can't discount or deny this FACT.

Oh come on now. rolleyes: You should know better than that!

What does getting "more votes than 'mighty' Paris one time" have to do with anything, other than absolutely NOTHING. The circumstances surrounding the dynamics of that race illustrates why that happened.

It only took two rounds for the IOC to pick the winner, so they knew who they wanted virtually from the start, & everybody else was just there for the show. Especially when the two cities in question here were merely separated by four votes. So IDK why some like to throw that little trivial tidbit around here like it actually means something, when in the end, it doesn't suggest a darn thing.

This is no different when those silly Minneapolis' bolsters came on here at one time & would brag about how they came in "second" for the 1952 Games against Helsinki & that would somehow put them in some significant edge for a future bid from them. It's just ludicrous.

• Like 1

I was at a Rugby Seven session today. Found it funny how they covered over nearly all reference to BMO Field (the pylon side outside the stadium still said BMO Field on it) and as a nice touch to Toronto's past, the electric sign on the opposite side of the BMO Field Scoreboard acknowledged the stadium as "Exhibition Stadium" with the Exhibition Place font, I have a pic if anyone's interested.

Mind you, I am disappointed in CBC's coverage of this event, how there are very few events streamed live. I heard on CP24 that all events are being shown at Nathan Phillips Square, if that is indeed true, than why don't we at home have access to all feeds from all the sports? It would be cool to watch Roller Speed Skating as I've never seen it. (going to Roller Figure Skating tomorrow however)

My main complaint with the Rugby Sevens was the scoreboard operation, it kinda looked like a powerpoint slide, and no video from the event was shown. I know they aren't to blame for this but still, I would have liked to see the BMO scoreboard and videoscreens utilized like they are during a TFC game.

That's my rant for now.

I was at a Rugby Seven session today. Found it funny how they covered over nearly all reference to BMO Field (the pylon side outside the stadium still said BMO Field on it) and as a nice touch to Toronto's past, the electric sign on the opposite side of the BMO Field Scoreboard acknowledged the stadium as "Exhibition Stadium" with the Exhibition Place font, I have a pic if anyone's interested.

Mind you, I am disappointed in CBC's coverage of this event, how there are very few events streamed live. I heard on CP24 that all events are being shown at Nathan Phillips Square, if that is indeed true, than why don't we at home have access to all feeds from all the sports? It would be cool to watch Roller Speed Skating as I've never seen it. (going to Roller Figure Skating tomorrow however)

My main complaint with the Rugby Sevens was the scoreboard operation, it kinda looked like a powerpoint slide, and no video from the event was shown. I know they aren't to blame for this but still, I would have liked to see the BMO scoreboard and videoscreens utilized like they are during a TFC game.

That's my rant for now.

Well, that's what you get when the main sponsor is CIBC and the stadium is sponsored by BMO.

Looks like the Opening Ceremonies have had the desired effect. Ticket sales have doubled and total tickets sold have exceeded the total of the last Pan Am Games already.

Toronto gets into Pan Am spirit, ticket sales double:
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/toronto-gets-into-pan-am-spirit-ticket-sales-double-1.2465333

wow, a majority of people were for the games on the online poll, i post it in a couple online forums (not based in Toronto) and all of a sudden within a few hours the results are pro-Pan Am numbers drop to 25% lol...THE INTERNET!! :P Haters gonna hate...

A lot of the comments left behind are so retarded. I can't say I'm really surprised considering these are Sun newspaper readers.

Example 1 (Is this necessary? Wonder if this user thought it was funny? :blink: )

GeertWildersKnows 7 minutes ago

Newsflash! LGBT games confirmed for Toronto in 2017! Caitlyn Transjenner looking to make a comeback in the Bi-athalon!

As you can see my posts from last winter, I was never against the games, but I was against the costs spiralling out of control for the games. Although how much I love the olympics, I hate the mega costs associated with it. So far they have supposedly put 2.5 billion on the Pan Am Games, what was built that was new, a new stadium in Hamilton that will be the home of the Tigercats, the velodrome in Milton, the Markahm Pan Am Centre, and the Morningside Pool (that will require a very expensive membership to use if you are not connected to U of Toronto)

I was at the Roller Figure Skating event tonight....and tommorow will be going to the Squash event. I am a large watcher of the Olympics, but I hate the corruption and demands of the IOC, As we can see, there was absolutely no reasons neccesary to put the restricted lanes on our roadways. Some time during the Pan Am period, I will have to bring a relative of mine to Toronto Western, and he cannot take transit, so we will have to deal with the "Pan Jam" that was totally unnessecary.

CBC's coverage has been god awful, but I think they are not even bothering with these games because of the general public's opinion of these games realistically being akin to what the AHL is to the NHL when the Pan Am games are compared to the Olympics. What is being shown ILIVE on actual television? Soccer matches featuring much lesser squads. Even the CBC streams are very limited, if there is coverage in every venue why don't we have access to every sport on CBC online. I looked at TLN's schedule today and they've been broadcasting Pan Am games for over 12 hours straight, but yet our own national broadcaster can't do that.

But again, that cost of 2.5 billion, is there any reason why that cost couldn't have been 10% of that, 250 million? That is what I want answers about, think about it, 2.5 billion dollars could have built a REAL rapid transit line in downtown Toronto, or at least built a significant chunck of it. As transportation infrastructure is the most important thing that needs to be improved RIGHT NOW in Toronto, even with all transit options being offered for free, I have chosen to drive in and park close to the "Pan Am Park" for a very small amount of money, if I took transit from my house, it would take me over 2 hours to reach the Pan Am Park.

Could I have used a hybrid option like parking at Kipling Station, sure, but as we have no rapid transit to the Exhibition Grounds, seeing as how Rugby Sevens, Gymnastics, and my Roller Figure Skating all seemed to end at roughly the same time. Packing in many of those small CLRVs to travel at a snail's pace to reach a subway station is not exactly my cup of tea. Seeing as one subway train probably has the capacity of 10 CLRVs give or take, fighting with people and being packed in like sardines is not worth the free cost of transit, I may be going off on a tangent, but any serious investment into rapid transit has not occured since 1971, when Metro Toronto and the MTO shelved all the freeway plans. I wonder if they could even fathom the size of what Toronto and the GTA are today, home to the world's busiest freeway, the busiest subway line in North America, second most used transit city in North America, yet we have such a tiny rapid transit system with the powers that be insisting we need the inferior LRT on Eglinton for instance. Condo towers galore exist in the downtown core today, but nearly no improvements on moving those new residents have been undertaken.