Quaker the COC was interested in bidding for 2024, and there was people in Toronto looking at a bid. But the CSA wants go for the 2026 World Cup and that seemed to get the blessing of the government over an Olympic bid.

An Olympic bid was never presented to the government though.

On a sidenote, I believe Mayor John Tory will be a big supporter of a Toronto bid if its for 2024 or 2028. We will know the final answer sometime this summer. If the city doesn't resurect its 2024 bid, then 2028 is looking good.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been offered a position as Assistant Venue Press Operations Manager with TO2015 for the Games!

After a day off I was able to reflect on my experience with the games. I was very priviliged to work with the organization and this opened my eyes to what I want to do moving forward. From meeting gre

Cue a Gamesbids Article saying "Bach encourages city of Toronto to bid for the Olympics, says they would host a fantastic Games!"

Look at the transformation the City of Toronto has made over the last 13 years. This city has grow crazy fast and continues to do so at a fast pace and the amount of development shows.

Article from National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/17/toronto-skylines-absolute-transformation-captured-by-two-photos-taken-13-years-apart/

Toronto skyline’s ‘absolute transformation’ captured by two photos taken 13 years apart

to-skyline.jpg?w=940

An Olympic bid was never presented to the government though.

On a sidenote, I believe Mayor John Tory will be a big supporter of a Toronto bid if its for 2024 or 2028. We will know the final answer sometime this summer. If the city doesn't resurect its 2024 bid, then 2028 is looking good.

2020 had the support of everyone minus Ford. So for 2024 with the same governments in and Ford out, one would assume the support is still there.

2020 had the support of everyone minus Ford. So for 2024 with the same governments in and Ford out, one would assume the support is still there.

I believe there was also an Ipos-Reid poll where over 80% of Torontonians supported that bid for 2020.

Ford didn't even let council vote on it.

Look at the transformation the City of Toronto has made over the last 13 years. This city has grow crazy fast and continues to do so at a fast pace and the amount of development shows.

Article from National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/17/toronto-skylines-absolute-transformation-captured-by-two-photos-taken-13-years-apart/

Toronto skyline’s ‘absolute transformation’ captured by two photos taken 13 years apart

to-skyline.jpg?w=940

WOW! It really would make an iconic backdrop to the games! The Pan Am's would most certainly give us a hint.

WOW! It really would make an iconic backdrop to the games! The Pan Am's would most certainly give us a hint.

Yes! The continuous influx of people moving into downtown Toronto is spurring all this development. With the developments currently under construction and the ones that still have yet to break ground or in planning stages, most noteably the 3 Supertalls 300m+, Toronto is evolving into a major thriving metropolis.

Toronto will be in good standing to win either '28 or '32 games

It was very interesting in a recent Fox News Report that Trip Advisor noted Toronto as a hot spot destination for 2015 owing to a 40% or thereabout bookings this summer for the games. Does the city have that "vibe" of something special is going to happen this year?

It was very interesting in a recent Fox News Report that Trip Advisor noted Toronto as a hot spot destination for 2015 owing to a 40% or thereabout bookings this summer for the games. Does the city have that "vibe" of something special is going to happen this year?

There were noticeable promotions around town when I was there in December, most noticeable for me was that interactive device near the city hall outdoor ice skating rink that allowed you to take a pic with a Pan American games backdrop that you can email to yourself. Also a lot of the streetcars have Pan American games advertising, as well as the subway station.

And yes downtown Toronto is more lively than ever! I was there 2 years ago in November 2012 and recently was there this past December, and there was definitely a huge change in just 2 years. And the streets in downtown areas are busier with pedestrian traffic, it's almost like NYC packed. My only wish is that they improved their streetcar transportation. I love that they're big, but in downtown they get severely delayed and sometimes there was one right behind the other. Also some events may need to be moved out of downtown area, like the Christmas Market. The Distillery district was just way too cramped when I was there, I was a bit miserable going through what felt like a herd of cattle. But yes the city is booming, and rightfully so.

I am, quite surprised, however, that we don't see a lot of photos of the development that is happening. Of course, it is understood that Toronto will have everything up to the appropriate levels of completion to date but it would be nice to have the progress substantiated by actual visual evidence.

So over the next three years Toronto will host the World Cup of Hockey, Pan Am Games, the NBA and NHL all star games and an outdoor NHL game. Not bad.

And the World Juniors and there is also a possibility of the Curling Trials for the 2018 Olympics.

I am, quite surprised, however, that we don't see a lot of photos of the development that is happening. Of course, it is understood that Toronto will have everything up to the appropriate levels of completion to date but it would be nice to have the progress substantiated by actual visual evidence.

Venues that are finished/newly built:

Pan Am Aquatics Centre/Field House (Swimming, synchronized swimming, diving, modern pentathlon, fencing)

Sd6U4di.jpg

FoNYCIn.jpg

Source

Pan Am Fields (Field hockey).

nMiTfXV.jpg

Markham Pan Am Centre (Badminton, table tennis, water polo).

B33_oZICcAA3DDn.jpg

Source

B7WXfAxIIAA_I3W.jpg

Source

B0CI8VVCcAMl43M.jpg

Source

Ajax Pan Am Ball Park (Baseball and softball)

Welland Flatwater centre (Canoe sprint)

HsUro2K.jpg

Source

Milton Velodrome (track cycling)

B7gB5IBIAAANpIM.jpg

Source

• Like 1

Venues still under construction:
-Athlete's village (Early February opening date)

Live webcams

-Pan Am / Parapan Am Athletics Stadium (Completed, but the track needs to be laid down this spring/summer).

ByTiYwqCQAEHGMC.jpg

Source

-Centennial Park Pan Am BMX Centre (Spring 2015)

B6HlniCCUAA8MkX.jpg

Source

-Caledon Equestrian Park (Spring 2015)

No photo, but the main stadium is done, just minor fixes left.

-Hamilton Soccer Stadium (Completed, but operational stuff such as elevators are not done yet)

B7wmjp0IYAAi0OC.jpg

Source

-BMO Field, rugby sevens (late construction project began increasing capacity to 30,000, due sometime this May)

B77_V64IUAAx3KB.jpg

Source

Chevrolet Beach Volleyball Centre

-No info, but a temporary venue to be built quickly this spring/summer.

Pan Am Shooting Centre (Due March 2015)

All other venues all existed before the event was awarded to Toronto.

With all of that going on, Toronto would surely be a "natural" Olympics host soon, no?

I'm a bit surprised that they seem to sit out 2024.

I don't think they could win with the current venues being used for the Pan American games. The venues have just enough seating capacity to host the Pan American games, but not an Olympic games. Either Toronto would have to further invest in adding seating capacity for the games, or they would have to start from scratch and build new facilities.

And I will add that athletics stadium is a complete embarrassment :angry:

I don't see the problem with it. Yes, a 3,000 capacity stadium for after the games is extremely small. But at least it's a permanent facility that is appropriate for its tenant. That's better than either a temporary facility or a permanent white elephant.

Without Usain Bolt they wouldn't be able to sell out a big stadium anyway.

I don't think they could win with the current venues being used for the Pan American games. The venues have just enough seating capacity to host the Pan American games, but not an Olympic games. Either Toronto would have to further invest in adding seating capacity for the games, or they would have to start from scratch and build new facilities.

This is what I find more troubling. If you are going to the expense of hosting a continental games, why not design the new facilities with enough room to add temporary seating so they can be used for the Olympics?

I don't see the problem with it. Yes, a 3,000 capacity stadium for after the games is extremely small. But at least it's a permanent facility that is appropriate for its tenant. That's better than either a temporary facility or a permanent white elephant.

This is what I find more troubling. If you are going to the expense of hosting a continental games, why not design the new facilities with enough room to add temporary seating so they can be used for the Olympics?

Out of the new builds, only 3 are in Toronto proper. 2 of those 3 are potential venues, the athletics track being the odd one out.

The Athletics stadium will hold 12000+ during the games.

The designs of the sports facilities seem "barely there" aesthetically. I wonder, with the Olympic movement moving towards a "less is more" approach to the Olympics, it this may have been a contributing factor to Toronto's facilities design plan. I personally find some of the designs...well....quintessentially underwhelming. It certainly MUST be acknowledged as a tragedy of sorts for a city that is now positioned at the forefront globally in terms of "chic" appeal. The Athletes Village appears to be the only true saving grace. I guess we can safely say the opening will be unfortunately modest. If so, Toronto would have wasted money bidding fro the games in the very first place.

The designs of the sports facilities seem "barely there" aesthetically. I wonder, with the Olympic movement moving towards a "less is more" approach to the Olympics, it this may have been a contributing factor to Toronto's facilities design plan. I personally find some of the designs...well....quintessentially underwhelming. It certainly MUST be acknowledged as a tragedy of sorts for a city that is now positioned at the forefront globally in terms of "chic" appeal. The Athletes Village appears to be the only true saving grace. I guess we can safely say the opening will be unfortunately modest. If so, Toronto would have wasted money bidding fro the games in the very first place.

Well the Olympic movement didn't start becoming a "less is more" approach until recently, so I find that an odd reason for Toronto building modest facilities. They clearly did not think far ahead for the Olympics and only had the Pan American games in mind when they designed these places. They pretty much shot themselves in the foot in trying to find a way to cut costs when they do decide to bid for the Olympics. They won't have very many existing facilities that will be up to Olympic standards.