• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been offered a position as Assistant Venue Press Operations Manager with TO2015 for the Games!

After a day off I was able to reflect on my experience with the games. I was very priviliged to work with the organization and this opened my eyes to what I want to do moving forward. From meeting gre

Cue a Gamesbids Article saying "Bach encourages city of Toronto to bid for the Olympics, says they would host a fantastic Games!"

I also noticed today that CONCACAF is playing a Gold Cup doubleheader at BMO Field on July 14 (the first Tuesday of the Games). Granted BMO will be finished as a venue after the first weekend, but it is located within Pan Am Park I guess PASO doesn't care about the competition for the spectator dollars.

PASO actually cleared them to host the games.

This is a very bizarre decision. The city said no to the Women's World Cup because of the games, but yes to hosting the Gold Cup during the event?

I would have ordered some basketball tickets had I known that the Ryerson Athletic Center is actually located inside Maple Leaf Gardens

Tickets are still available.

Unfortunately it would be a matter of working it into our schedule. The only possibility would be the second session of the opening day of the women's tournament but I'm scheduled to be at badminton in Markham until 530 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not a big fan of the Veledrome in Milton :wacko: It just seems so out of place. Well atleast we know Toronto will eventually build its own when they decide to bid for Olympics which I hear there is still quite the rumblings among city council. I'm not sure what they will do but it's evident they would have to prepare the application and have it ready to go before the Pan Ams since council goes on break.

Toronto 2015 to set record for female participation

As many as 45 per cent of athletes competing at this year's Toronto Pan American Games may be women, in what would set a record for a multi-sports event, it was claimed here today.

Speaking at a meeting of the Pan American Association of Sports Confederations (ACODEPA), Michael Fennell, President of the Technical Committee of the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO), said that provisions had been made for the participation of 45 per cent women.
This, he said, would be "the largest quota of women in any multi-sports Games".
All told, the final quota of athletes has been set at 6,136 in 36 sports.
Both women's baseball and women's rugby sevens are included, helping to lift the proportion of female athletes closer to the point where full gender equality is attained.
Fennell also disclosed that Toronto 2015 would have more Olympic qualifiers than at any previous Pan American Games, with 19 disciplines offering either direct or indirect Olympic qualification.
"We would like to increase those numbers in the coming years," Fennell said.
Bob O'Doherty, senior vice-president sport and venues on the Toronto 2015 Organising Committee, said that four International Sports Federations, including aquatics body FINA, had agreed to move the dates of their World Championships to help better accommodate Toronto 2015.
Even so, owing to the relatively close proximity of the events, the Pan American water polo and synchronised swimming competitions would both commence before the Games' July 10 Opening Ceremony.
The Pan American Games will run from July 10 to 26, with the Parapan American Games scheduled for August 7 to 15.
Fennell also spoke of the need to raise the Pan American brand to "a higher level of importance worldwide", saying: "We all know" that the profile of the Pan American Games is not "where it should be".

Olympic qualifiers:

Direct:
Diving: Winner of each individual event qualifies a quota spot

Water polo: Winner of the men's tournament

Canoe slalom: Winner of each individual event qualifies, plus C2 if the Americas are among the top 3 continents at the WC's

Equestrian: One eventing and dressage team + 2 jumping teams, + 2 individuals

Field hockey: Winner of each tournament

Handball: Winner of each tournament

Modern pentathlon: 5 quotas in each event

Sailing: One quota for each North and South America in the laser/laser radial events.

Shooting: 20 quotas across all 15 events

Table tennis: Winner of each individual event qualifies.

Indirect:

Swimming: qualifying times

Athletics: qualifying times

Cycling (bmx, track and MB): ranking event

Judo: ranking event

Taekwondo: ranking event

Triathlon: ranking event

Weightlifting: ranking event

The next step for Canada would probably be the FIFA World Cup, as they already hosted pretty much all the big stuff in the book. Plus, Edmonton is running for the 2022 CWG already.

Thank you so much for that Info. Do you think Edmonton, as a pervious host, stands a good chance of getting the 2022 Commonwealths? And I am sooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed that Toronto did not have the drive to go after the 2024 Games! Had it taken notice that it was doing better and better at every attempt to bid, and had it known that Boston would be chosen as the US candidate, it SHOULD have gone after 2024. I don't think another opportunity shall present itself in its favour like this.

Thank you so much for that Info. Do you think Edmonton, as a pervious host, stands a good chance of getting the 2022 Commonwealths? And I am sooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed that Toronto did not have the drive to go after the 2024 Games! Had it taken notice that it was doing better and better at every attempt to bid, and had it known that Boston would be chosen as the US candidate, it SHOULD have gone after 2024. I don't think another opportunity shall present itself in its favour like this.

Toronto has no chance for 2024. 2028 and 2032 look much more favourable.

Toronto did the smart thing by sitting out 2024 (something the U.S. should also have done).

I raised this question before about Toronto's Pan Am Games plan being a blueprint for an Olympic bid. With the implementation of Agenda 2020, is much of Toronto's Pan Am Games plan more viable now for any future Olympic bid?

Should the Toronto Games be a success, would they make a Commonwealth bid? It just seems like the practical "next step" since they aren't going after 2024 (which they really would have had a great chance of getting NOW the US has shown its hand).

What does the USOC's announcement have anything to do with Toronto? Explain to me how the US "showing its hand" and bidding with Boston in any way strengthens Toronto's chances (or that of any other bidder) to win the 2024 vote, any obviously it's all a hypothetical since Canada doesn't seem interested in bidding. If you're going to analogize this to a poker game, remember that the vote itself is more than 2 1/2 years away. By the time we get to the summer of 2017, few if any will remember that the USOC announced their intent to bid with Boston before other cities make their play, so what difference will it make all that time later?

Toronto did the smart thing by sitting out 2024 (something the U.S. should also have done).

I raised this question before about Toronto's Pan Am Games plan being a blueprint for an Olympic bid. With the implementation of Agenda 2020, is much of Toronto's Pan Am Games plan more viable now for any future Olympic bid?

We really need to stop asking these Agenda 2020 questions as if there's an answer. We don't know what the effects of Agenda 2020 are or will be. Might not know for years to come. Let's not jump to the conclusion that the entire process is now somehow much different than it was before until we have any sort of evidence for that to be the case.

We really need to stop asking these Agenda 2020 questions as if there's an answer. We don't know what the effects of Agenda 2020 are or will be. Might not know for years to come. Let's not jump to the conclusion that the entire process is now somehow much different than it was before until we have any sort of evidence for that to be the case.

I don't get that either. It's still the same bunch of voters to a large extent, no matter what they want to make us believe.

If anything, all these agenda 2020 questions just show that the IOC PR spin is working well for them, but there's still no actual evidence they'll practice as they preach.

Quaker the COC was interested in bidding for 2024, and there was people in Toronto looking at a bid. But the CSA wants go for the 2026 World Cup and that seemed to get the blessing of the government over an Olympic bid.

I wonder what Toronto will be like. I am praying PRAYING that they don't go minimalist and really try to offer something spectacular. We are still clueless as to the numbers involved in the production, and numbers say a lot. The city must recognise it calibre which is Alpha status and match that. Of course, it doesn't nor shouldn't mean going over the top BUT it should mean putting its best face forward. I hope it doesn't replicate London. Leave London's exceptional uniqueness right there. Try something that will make people actually take a second glance and involve your CN Tower!

Since it will be in the middle of baseball and the start of the CFL season, you will not be having them rip holes in the stadium floor for special effect use, so you can forget covering the field with water or placing a giant screen in the middle of the field or other wow features seen in recent Olympics. A simple ceremony does not equate a bad ceremony. Lots of goosebump musi, dazzling choreography and ample pyrotechinics can make for a memorable evening. It might be a little blasé for the connoisseurs of stadium theatre here, but for the world at large it would be fine.

The ceremony is now sold out, that is great news. Timing is everything though. When my tickets were charged two months ago I paid $312 American. Now with the Canadian dollar dropping, they would have been around $283. Oh well.

Since it will be in the middle of baseball and the start of the CFL season, you will not be having them rip holes in the stadium floor for special effect use, so you can forget covering the field with water or placing a giant screen in the middle of the field or other wow features seen in recent Olympics. A simple ceremony does not equate a bad ceremony. Lots of goosebump musi, dazzling choreography and ample pyrotechinics can make for a memorable evening. It might be a little blasé for the connoisseurs of stadium theatre here, but for the world at large it would be fine.

The ceremony is now sold out, that is great news. Timing is everything though. When my tickets were charged two months ago I paid $312 American. Now with the Canadian dollar dropping, they would have been around $283. Oh well.

Worth noting.. the Blue Jays are on the road from July 3rd through July 16th. They come home for 1 series, then are on the road again from the 20th through the 27th. So they can certainly play around with the stadium a little bit at least. No, it won't be on the scale of an Athens or a Beijing, but this also isn't an Olympics. I'm sure they'll do themselves proud, even if it's not the mega-ceremony we get from the Olympics.