Apple

Toronto 2015

We have reached the end of our Toronto 2015 adventure. The archery competition was enthralling and Varsity Stadium an excellent venue (with the exception of one concession table for the entire crowd). The handball hall, which we visited tonight, did remind me of the venue when we were in Atlanta in 1996, perhaps the bleachers behind the goals might have been a little larger. The PASO logo doesn't bother me (although I think it is due for a makeover). It had been featured prominently in many venues, center court in handball and basketball and the start ramp at BMX.

Eight days, ten sports, one OC, it's been a fun ride. The Games will be a big success, which thrills me given all the negativity in the build-up. I have a few pet peeves, one being that any anthem besides Canada, the US, or Cuba, was shortened beyond necessity (I heard a version of Mexico's today that I had never heard before). I also want to strangle the MLB schedule maker for having the Jays play at home during the Games, which made the commute from Exhibition to Port Credit a major pain in the backside tonight. These minor irritations will no doubt get lost in the wonderful memories when I reflect on this over the years ahead.

Thank you Toronto. I will be back sooner than later.

The anthem thing is weird because I've heard the Argentine and Brazilian anthems and both sounded normal and of normal length. Both are notoriously long anthems.

MisterSG1, please take your medication! Your constant irrational and dishonest negativity bellies a deeper psychological issue. You should not be posting on message boards. Nothing personal...

Glad you enjoyed the games, so you were in Atlanta, can I assume you were talking about the Handball venue back in 1996....the last summer games in either of our great nations. I want the games to do well too, but there still is a fair amount of animosity from the papers, such as this one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/pan-am-boom-is-a-bust-for-many-downtown-toronto-businesses/article25549661/

I thought that this may in fact be the case as I've said, for every trip to the Pan Am Park, I've made five thus far, all five of them have been by vehicle, and it's been smooth sailing to get there every time, my guess is the effect of holding events may draw tons of tourists into the city, but it may get local residents to avoid them like the plague, I'm not sure of this myself and I'd like to hear more about this.

As for the Blue Jays, given the circumstances, they did the best they could, and the MLB Midsummer Classic thankfully happened this week which shut the season down for a few days anyways, but consider the situation with the "Pan Am Dome". You'll need at the minimum 2 or 3 days to prepare the venue for the opening ceremonies (rehearsels and such), and all that eats away into the schedule, I'm sure they wanted no Blue Jays games during the games, but this was honestly the best they could do. I honestly thought tonight's Jays game was going to be a bust at the box office, but there was actually a crowd tonight of 32,000 strong for a Friday game, pretty good if you ask me, I was estimating a sub-20,000 crowd.

Did you find those handball bleachers painful at all? :)

I want the games to succeed, and I hate to put things this way, but the public still doesn't seem to like it too much. While the Pan Am Dome may easily sell out 45,000, imagine if the entire 45,000 were local people in the GTA, consider that there are millions who did not go and a good portion of those millions probably are indifferent or worse, oppose these games. We'll see in the next few weeks what the end result will be with the public after all of this.

I want the games to succeed, and I hate to put things this way, but the public still doesn't seem to like it too much. While the Pan Am Dome may easily sell out 45,000, imagine if the entire 45,000 were local people in the GTA, consider that there are millions who did not go and a good portion of those millions probably are indifferent or worse, oppose these games. We'll see in the next few weeks what the end result will be with the public after all of this.

This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site.

Find the errors #OhCanada...

11743016_868913553186812_207585395468934

At first I thought it was the medal count because those numbers are WAY behind, but now I notice it lol.

Columbia could be seen as another but I'm sure it's just the lighting that makes the yellow look more like white.

Speaking of the medal count, the US has currently surpassed Canada in the total awarded medals, but as far as ranking goes Canada is still #1, with only about 4 gold medals left to surpass Canada in the rankings.

It's Colombia, not Columbia :lol:

Maybe that's how they spell it in Canada?

And is Canada the only one in all caps because it's in first place, or because it's Canada? That one makes no sense.

Guys, understand them, it's the autocorrect (?)

Actually no. The western most province in Canada is called British Columbia.

Two disappointing races to begin things tonight in the pool.

Fox hopefully you see this. Is the Canadian wrestling team the A team that is going to the Worlds in Vegas or is it a mix? Because the results have been disappointing thus far.

Can't really help you there, I don't follow wrestling.

It is the A team Faster. But some top members lost such as Macdonald at the trials and wont go. Gill also was second but first place tested positive for drugs. Pineda didnt make weight for the pan ams.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is Taekwendo, as a sport, greatly improved (especially since the 2008 Olympics)? The matches have been great so far.

Edited by Fox334

CBC's stream of the baseball final has ESPN's MLB scoreboard in Spanish for some reason.

This is odd. Reminds me of that time during London 2012 when CTV seemed to be taking right from NBC's feed (since it had some of their graphics)

Is it just me or is Taekwendo, as a sport, greatly improved (especially since the 2008 Olympics)? The matches have been great so far.

So much for that. Saw a few phantom points (including a 4 point for Lewis) awarded and not awarded.

Forget a PR, there was a WR broken in Modern Pentathlon yesterday, Charles Fernandez of Guatemala who had an awesome performance in the five events achieved the highest score ever in the Fencing portion of the competition. Shown on UIPM's website:

http://www.pentathlon.org/athletes/world-records/

Is this a real historical record? Or is this a record under the current format, which was probably changed two competitions ago and will be changed again two competitions from now.

Is this a real historical record? Or is this a record under the current format, which was probably changed two competitions ago and will be changed again two competitions from now.

Either way I have a hard time taking modern pentathlon "records" seriously due to the strength of the field mattering in the fencing portion and the course / horse draw mattering in the show jumping portion.

That Canada vs USA final was the best baseball game

I'm not sure I'd say it was an amazing game but it certainly had an interesting ending. Canada got insanely lucky in the bottom of the tenth (not that I'm complaining).

Edited by Fox334

Mexico's performance is not nearly as good as I'd have expected. They had two solid Games in Rio and Guadalajara but are not threatening to break 100 medals this time. Really surprising.