Toronto 2015

Apple

Andi Petrillo wins Best Sports Host in a Sports Program or Series at the Canadian Screen Awards for her performance as CBC Pan Am Afternoon host at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, a first for a woman:

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/news/cbc-wins-15-awards-at-canadian-screen-awards/1004067475/?&er=NA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It is so hard to believe that a year has passed. The wonderful memories are still so fresh and vivid from the week my wife and I spent at the Games. I know that I complained about the way they seemed to shoehorn the spectators into the seating areas at some venues. but I now look at it as the equivalent of giving the middle finger to those who said it was a worthless sporting event on which people would not waste their time or money. The large, enthusiastic crowds validated all the emotional and financial resources that I invested in the event. The return I got on that investment is the joyous buzz I have felt over the last 12 months. It was the greatest sporting experience in my life, even better than World Cup 1994 and Atlanta 1996.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great memories of the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games.....

http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/pan-american-games-2015?excludenudity=true&family=editorial&mediatype=photography&page=3&phrase=pan american games 2015&sort=mostpopular

I planned to be in Toronto at that time but I couldn´t due to vacation re-schedule, but I watched lots and lots of Tv and online coverage. It was an excellent event. Some friends had the opportunity to go and praised both the city and the Games. Toronto and its people proved that they´re able to handle any big event with class. 

I´m saving money in advance to not miss Lima 2019. I must be there. And I hope my country may host the Pan Am Games once again

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If Hamilton can't resolve these petty issues that stem from the Pan Am Games, what makes Toronto think they can do the same after an Olympic games??? 

Chris-Brown-Denied-Entry-into-Canadadrak

Oh Toronto. I love you, but you are still very ill-prepared for hosting an Olympic games, especially when there a lot of people against it and those that do support it don't have the balls to actually put in a bid.

8 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

If Hamilton can't resolve these petty issues that stem from the Pan Am Games, what makes Toronto think they can do the same after an Olympic games??? 

Chris-Brown-Denied-Entry-into-Canadadrak

Oh Toronto. I love you, but you are still very ill-prepared for hosting an Olympic games, especially when there a lot of people against it and those that do support it don't have the balls to actually put in a bid.

Ill prepared? Poor choice of words? Hamilton is not Toronto...

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am not certain that the investment in sporting venues has made an improvement in Canada's medal chances (building a national velodrome yielded 0 out of 60 medals for last year's track cycling world championships, for instance) but I hope that Ontarians at the grassroots level of sport have enjoyed the facilities. That is what really matters with these sporting venues: giving people in the community a chance to get some fitness and make friends through sport.

10 hours ago, Nacre said:

I am not certain that the investment in sporting venues has made an improvement in Canada's medal chances (building a national velodrome yielded 0 out of 60 medals for last year's track cycling world championships, for instance) but I hope that Ontarians at the grassroots level of sport have enjoyed the facilities. That is what really matters with these sporting venues: giving people in the community a chance to get some fitness and make friends through sport.

This is a non-researched comment. 

The biggest new build was the Pan Am Aquatics Centre: This has led to consistent rise of the Canadian women. There is no other facility in Southern Ontario, and this facility can be contributed to the success of the team (iirc, most of them train here a part of the NHP)

As for track cycling, you cannot base one worlds, there were two fourth place finishes in 2020 in Olympic events. The facility is also used to find undiscovered talent. Without it, I doubt there would be a development program. One of those fourth place finishes in 2020, just took up the sport a couple years ago.

I admit I haven't done a huge amount of research on the development of the Canadian national team in every sport (hence "I am not sure"). But as I said I think the legacy goal for the 2015 games should be to improve the grassroots level of sport in Ontario as opposed to Britain's focus on Olympic medals with its sports funding.

Toronto's 2015 games seem to be a good template for other cities to follow in using a mix of existing venues, temporary venues and facilities suitable for local communities. Hopefully other North American cities will make similar bids in a decade or two.

• 1 year later...