Toronto 2015

Apple

I don't think you understood my comment at all. You called the Pan Am Games an event no one cares about just last month...

Brazil had its A team across most sports in Toronto minus a couple athletes.

Yea I didn't get why his anger was more directed at you when I made a longer post about people not caring about the Parapan and Paralympic Games. I even added a cute little gif to go along with it too!

I don't think you understood my comment at all. You called the Pan Am Games an event no one cares about just last month...

Brazil had its A team across most sports in Toronto minus a couple athletes.

No. I said nobody in Brazil didn't know about the games because Globo was not broadscasting. I'm sure Durban can explain you how are TV ratings in Brazil. If something is not broadcasted by Globo, it's like it didn't happen.

Brazil maybe is (or was) the country who cares/cared more about PanAms in the entire continent... Check the number of reporters Brazil sent to the event, only behind Canada.

2. Brazil, this time, didn't send it best athletes, indeed, to make sure they would be part of the test events of Rio 2016. Our main sports: Football and Volleyball were represent by B and even C athletes, you know that.

Not to mention Brazil sent dozens of military athletes to represent the country, and this caused some controversy here in Brazil.

150715231752_sp_atletas_continencia_624x

nadador-leonardo-de-deus-presta-continen

17jul2015---cassio-rippel-c-presta-conti

Intoronto, sorry, you know not much about Brazil and love to spread things you think are true about us... It's boring.

I still want to know, why you are so fixed to Brazil?

Yea I didn't get why his anger was more directed at you when I made a longer post about people not caring about the Parapan and Paralympic Games. I even added a cute little gif to go along with it too!

B)

Edited by DannyelBrazil

As far as I remember the sports in which Brazil didn't send their full best athletes were:

- Football (everyone sent B teams anyway)

- Basketball (again, everyone sent B team, even Canada despite hosting)

- Volleyball indoor and beach (USA didn't send A teams either and they're Brazil biggest opponent in these sports)

- Swimming (only Cesar Cielo was absent or I'm missing someone? anyway he was injured)

- Judo (Sarah Menezes and Rafael Silva)

- Boxing (some of the most relevant boxers didn't go, but again, many other countries were also missing their best in this sport)

- Tennis & Golf (same for every country, as this is an irrelevant tournament for all professional players)

So yes, Brazil wasn't with their full team in ALL sports, but I don't think that would have affected the medal table radically since most of the absenses were in team sports which give few medals. Anyway if I'm missing athletes, please anyone notice me.

• Like 1

But keep in mind that my comment doesn't invalidate the fact that Brazil is the nation that is growing the most in sports in the Americas and I'm pretty sure they will end above Canada in Rio 2016 (since translation from PanAm to olympic medals isn't linear, Canada has more competitive athletes overall, but currently Brazil has more "champions").

• Like 1

As far as I remember the sports in which Brazil didn't send their full best athletes were:

- Football (everyone sent B teams anyway)

- Basketball (again, everyone sent B team, even Canada despite hosting)

- Volleyball indoor and beach (USA didn't send A teams either and they're Brazil biggest opponent in these sports)

- Swimming (only Cesar Cielo was absent or I'm missing someone? anyway he was injured)

- Judo (Sarah Menezes and Rafael Silva)

- Boxing (some of the most relevant boxers didn't go, but again, many other countries were also missing their best in this sport)

- Tennis & Golf (same for every country, as this is an irrelevant tournament for all professional players)

So yes, Brazil wasn't with their full team in ALL sports, but I don't think that would have affected the medal table radically since most of the absenses were in team sports which give few medals. Anyway if I'm missing athletes, please anyone notice me.

Intoronto was right about the past. Brazil always sent mostly A-teams to PanAms until 2011. Brazilian Federations always saw the PanAms as an opportunity for training.

But, somehow, for 2015, this is not truth anymore, due test events in Rio, calendar problems and even lack of interest of some Brazilian stars about the event (I'm not talking about Toronto, I'm talking about the PanAms in general).

And this time, Brazil sent dozens of athletes that are military or were part of World Military Games to replace many A-athletes, specially in solo sports.

For military people, it's mandatory to do the miltary salute meanwhile the Brazilian Anthem is playing.

Civil athletes (hands down, or hand in the left part of chest)

531018-970x600-1.jpeg

Militaries doing the military salute

pan-2015-atletas-continencia-no-podio-me

BTW, our militaries did a great job in Toronto. Proud of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Intoronto was right about the past. Brazil always sent mostly A-teams to PanAms until 2011. Brazilian Federations always saw the PanAms as an opportunity for training.

But, somehow, for 2015, this is not truth anymore, due test events in Rio, calendar problems and even lack of interest of some Brazilian stars about the event (I'm not talking about Toronto, I'm talking about the PanAms in general).

And this time, Brazil sent dozens of athletes that are military or were part of World Military Games to replace many A-athletes, specially in solo sports.

For military people, it's mandatory to do the miltary salute meanwhile the Brazilian Anthem is playing.

Civil athletes (hands down, or hand in the left part of chest)

531018-970x600-1.jpeg

Militaries doing the military salute

pan-2015-atletas-continencia-no-podio-me

BTW, our militaries did a great job in Toronto. Proud of them.

Ehr... You know that those "military" athletes ARE our elite athletes which happen to be sponsored by the Armed Forces and received special military ranks only because of that. They're not soldiers. As part of the preparation to the 2011 World Military Games hosted by Rio, the Armed Forces threw away dozens of ranks to civilian athletes just to get them into the games.

Talking as if they are some random soldiers that we sent to Toronto instead of our top olympians is misleading.

• Like 1

Ehr... You know that those "military" athletes ARE our elite athletes which happen to be sponsored by the Armed Forces and received special military ranks only because of that. They're not soldiers. As part of the preparation to the 2011 World Military Games hosted by Rio, the Armed Forces threw away dozens of ranks to civilian athletes just to get them into the games.

Talking as if they are some random soldiers that we sent to Toronto instead of our top olympians is misleading.

Sure that some elite ahtletes were incorporated to the Army - indeed the pictures shows it. You are right, but, most are not elite athletes and they are part of our army.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost six months have passed since that magical Friday evening in July, Too bad that America Movil (whoever or what ever that is) has all the complete oc uploads blocked on YouTube, but I have my DVR recording that I can watch. That week at the Games was far and away my personal highlight of 2015.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the Brazilians charged for sexual assault in Toronto during the Pan American Games there, soccer player Lucas Domingues Piazon currently playing for Reading on loan from Chelsea, has been dissmissed by Toronto prosecutors when the Toronto Police knew there wouldn't be brought to trial with enough reasonable conviction. But the others' are still outstanding:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sex-assault-charges-dropped-pan-am-soccer-player-1.3420270

• 1 month later...

Athlete's village will be opening next month (after its conversion)

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/03/canary-district-toronto-gains-new-neighbourhood-april

Where exactly was this village located? I was there in December of 2014 and couldn't remember seeing any heavy construction going on for the village, and I spent a lot of time in downtown. If it was further west of Ripley's Aquarium and Rogers Center and further south of Queen street, then yea I can see myself missing it lol. But I might be back in Toronto this coming May so I'll definitely check it out!

Where exactly was this village located? I was there in December of 2014 and couldn't remember seeing any heavy construction going on for the village, and I spent a lot of time in downtown. If it was further west of Ripley's Aquarium and Rogers Center and further south of Queen street, then yea I can see myself missing it lol. But I might be back in Toronto this coming May so I'll definitely check it out!

Further east, at the edge of downtown