Toronto 2015

Apple

It's amazing what home advantage does for hosts in multi sport games, Mexico won 42 golds in 2011 and now is below 20. Canada's numbers are really inflated here, much as GB's were in 2012. Next year Brazil should be around 30 medals with 10+ golds I would say.

Same for Brazil in Rio 2007 PanAms... 52 golds was too many for Brazilian standards...

How was Argentina in 1995?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I think 2016 will be the year Brazil will pay back all the **** other countries did with Brazilian flag in sports events...

Santo Domingo 2003

pan2003.jpg

Copa America Chile 2015

bandeira-errada-1024x576.jpg

And now Toronto 2015

11743016_868913553186812_207585395468934

Not to mention Toronto 2015 OCOG played the anthem of Bahamas or Barbados* while raising the Brazilian Flag in the Olympic Village

TO 2015 OCOG doesn't know which anthem was played...

toronto080715falha-no-hino1.jpg

Brazilian athletes asking themselves what happened during the anthem...

http://esportes.terra.com.br/pan-2015-toronto-erra-hino-do-brasil-em-hasteamento-da-bandeira,ad750b5616adbd2c591ed91edcc76c3fizuwRCRD.html

"To asking apologies, Toronto 2015 committe sent a representative who speaks Portuguese to make a speech in the audio system of the Olympic Village, but the staff member talked in European Portuguese, despite being the same language, the accent is hard to Brazilians to understand".

Great, clap clap clap Toronto!

Before saying anything, Intoronto, the gaffe is unjustifiable given the importance that Brazil has at the Pan American Games history and in this very edition. With 590 athletes, Team Brazil is one of the largest teams in Toronto.

It is also the second largest country in number of journalists covering the competition - about 200, less only than Canada, which is the host country.

Again...perfect example of the sloppiness that SHOULDN'T have been apart of these games!

My favorite moments in Toronto 2015:

The end of the Pan American Games in Toronto are close and I would like to share with you guys my favorite moments of the games.

1 - The athlete was lost in the Rogers Centre during the opening ceremony :lol::lol:

1FO_kl.gif

2 - And after the torch was unlit

19910177366_ce20f3d5aa_z.jpg

3 - And after was unlit again

19315427473_abf8f52a6e_z.jpg

4 - The name of the countries on TV

19973010502_b8b634ae45.jpg

5 - The fireworks ^_^

Fireworks%201__900W.Jpeg

This thread --> zzzzzzzzzzz

It's amazing what home advantage does for hosts in multi sport games, Mexico won 42 golds in 2011 and now is below 20. Canada's numbers are really inflated here, much as GB's were in 2012. Next year Brazil should be around 30 medals with 10+ golds I would say.

It is not just home advantage. That is helping, but it is also the greatly increased funding to certain sports (diving, swimming, athletics) combined with some generation athletes (Monique Sullivan, Damian Warner, Brianne Theissen-Eaton, Derek Drouin, Ryan Cochrane etc.) and the strongest team we have sent in 16 years. If you look at the 2007 and especially the 2011 Pan Am teams they were a joke. Canada wants to be better at the Olympics and this is a by-product of this. Also look at the results between Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Colombia and Argentina between the Pan Ams and the Olympics the following year?

I got to sit next to some wonderful Brazilians today at volleyball and they just laughed off the gaffes. One even made a joke about the awful Canadian anthem in Athens.

As for Canada and Brazil. Brazil will have a spectacular Olympics next year. No doubt their best performance ever. But Canada should either come close to or beat their best non-boycotted performance ever too. Looking forward to Rio and wish Brazil (except football) nothing but the best.

It is not just home advantage. That is helping, but it is also the greatly increased funding to certain sports (diving, swimming, athletics) combined with some generation athletes (Monique Sullivan, Damian Warner, Brianne Theissen-Eaton, Derek Drouin, Ryan Cochrane etc.) and the strongest team we have sent in 16 years. If you look at the 2007 and especially the 2011 Pan Am teams they were a joke. Canada wants to be better at the Olympics and this is a by-product of this. Also look at the results between Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Colombia and Argentina between the Pan Ams and the Olympics the following year?

I got to sit next to some wonderful Brazilians today at volleyball and they just laughed off the gaffes. One even made a joke about the awful Canadian anthem in Athens.

As for Canada and Brazil. Brazil will have a spectacular Olympics next year. No doubt their best performance ever. But Canada should either come close to or beat their best non-boycotted performance ever too. Looking forward to Rio and wish Brazil (except football) nothing but the best.

I highly doubt that. Canada has a good bunch of athletes right now, but they're almost all in the #3-#12 in the world range. This translates well at the Pan Am or Commonweatlh Games, but not at the Olympics. There's no lock for gold, and few locks for a medal. Alos, many opponents will "magically" be much stronger next year.

I expect many bronze, #4 and #5. Number of medals could be anywhere between 10ish and 25, most probably around 15-16.

Well, with Toronto 2015 coming to a close, PASO would do well to encourage more regional bids for the Pan American Games. Media complained about the distances between venues, but the burden and legacy is shared among everybody and this is approach would be a reasonable template for Central American and Caribbean bids and mid-sized metropolitan areas of South and North America.

• Like 1

The USA benefited from Cuba and Mexico's poor performance.

This honestly doesn't bode well for Cuba next year. The sports Cuba is good at and medal in at the Olympics have strong fields in the Americas. When they can't beat countries within the zone, its gonna not be good next year.

The USA benefited from Cuba and Mexico's poor performance.

This honestly doesn't bode well for Cuba next year. The sports Cuba is good at and medal in at the Olympics have strong fields in the Americas. When they can't beat countries within the zone, its gonna not be good next year.

Canada did as well. :shrug:

Sadly, day 16 has arrived and it is soon time to close the book on Toronto 2015. What a wonderful event it truly was. Now that it has been a week since I left the Games, I must say most of my reflections this week centered on the people we encountered. The volunteers, always friendly and helpful. The fellow spectators, who gave us a good-natured ribbing after finding out we were Americans. The athletes, some of which we got to see close up, who seemed to be having a great time, some even in defeat. Truly special memories to treasure.

Even the aggravations I had written about earlier are starting to give me a good laugh. Especially the ones related to transit. When I planned this adventure, I wanted it to be the opposite of my trip to Atlanta in 1996 which involved four hours of driving each day to and from our Games Travel Agency assigned hotel in Greenville, South Carolina, That is why I booked a hotel early on in Mississauga, figuring I would be close to everything. I still think I spent at least two hours a day on trains, busses, and subways. Part of that was that I double booked events on several days. My wife and I have implemented a one event a day rule for any future trips to events such as these.

I had stated previously that I was going to leave GB once these games ended. I think I will just cut back significantly given all the investment (mental, physical, and financial) that I put into these Games. For a year it seems like I have been fighting the naysayers both here and elsewhere, insisting that this would be a success, and I was right. After that, I believe a bit of a sabbatical is in order. Before I go I want to thank all the Toronto people here for their helpful planning advice and those who were of a great help during my attendance at the Games.

• Like 2

Well, Uruguay left it late but they have their first gold medal of the event, wining the (U22) men's football.

Only one gold medal left to decide: men's volleyball. It will go to either Brazil or Argentina.

Canada also got one last gold medal, in women's softball. Not the bat and ball gold medal I was expecting today, truth be told.

Canada also got one last gold medal, in women's softball. Not the bat and ball gold medal I was expecting today, truth be told.

Are you sure about that? Because it's saying the US won the softball gold medal and Canada won the men's baseball gold medal

Holy hell didn't realize the Union Pearson Express finally opened! That damn line could have helped me out a lot when I traveled there in November of 2012 and December of 2014! Having to take the Rocket bus all the way to Kipling then taking the green and yellow subway was a pain in the ass! Did anyone take it while they were there??? And if so, what was the travel time from the airport to Union station?

Are you sure about that? Because it's saying the US won the softball gold medal and Canada won the men's baseball gold medal

Holy hell didn't realize the Union Pearson Express finally opened! That damn line could have helped me out a lot when I traveled there in November of 2012 and December of 2014! Having to take the Rocket bus all the way to Kipling then taking the green and yellow subway was a pain in the ass! Did anyone take it while they were there??? And if so, what was the travel time from the airport to Union station?

Yes. US won the 1-2 Page playoff game (usefully called the semifinals), Canada won the grand finals.

Did some research on this Pearson Union express and it cuts travel times to half the way I've gotten to downtown. But $27.50???

tumblr_inline_na0atvcsUA1sl2l3m.gif

No thank you! I'll take my $3 and take the long way! I probably won't have to shell out an extra $3 for the subway headed north to my hotel either! The difference in price would get me about 3 beers at Woody's in the gayborhood, if I'm lucky!

Toronto 2015

XrGECPl.png

First time Brazil finished a PanAm ahead of Cuba since 1967...

Brazilian NOC goal to be 3rd in medal table was accomplished...

But not much for the Olympic Games. Brazilian media is expecting 3 or 4 golds only next year.