Toronto 2015

Apple

Oh well, this could be the seating for the athletes, and they won't be filled from the start. Flagpoles are in the corners of the stage, so there must be free space available for a solemn entrance of the flags.

I have to agree about the setup: it does look small. But it's Cirque du Soleil, so aerial ballet and all kinds of acrobatics will be groundbreaking in this kind of ceremony.

If it's something like Albertville I WILL LOVE IT!

It was unfortunately clear that from the time the words "600 performers" had been thrown around in a facility as vast as that...... and I was crucified on these boards for my position that Toronto is not getting the concepts right. This is the most glaring evidence yet of a cost cutting exercise.

You cannot diminish the fact that the Ceremonies set the tone for everything else afterwards. Imagine Sydney with a stage like that for the Olympics.

This is not the Olympics! When will you get that in your fucking head???

It was unfortunately clear that from the time the words "600 performers" had been thrown around in a facility as vast as that...... and I was crucified on these boards for my position that Toronto is not getting the concepts right. This is the most glaring evidence yet of a cost cutting exercise.

You cannot diminish the fact that the Ceremonies set the tone for everything else afterwards. Imagine Sydney with a stage like that for the Olympics.

Oh well, this could be the seating for the athletes, and they won't be filled from the start. Flagpoles are in the corners of the stage, so there must be free space available for a solemn entrance of the flags.

I have to agree about the setup: it does look small. But it's Cirque du Soleil, so aerial ballet and all kinds of acrobatics will be groundbreaking in this kind of ceremony.

If it's something like Albertville I WILL LOVE IT!

Athletes will enter early because that is the Pan American Games regulation

Athletes will enter early because that is the Pan American Games regulation

Indeed. But the parade is not the very first act of a Pan American Games ceremony. At least not in Rio or Guadalajara. Unless Toronto gets rid of them first thing before the usual "welcome" act.

I submit, rather emphatically that YOU are exemplifying EXACTLY why some of the most crucial aspects of these games were Sloppy or did not project the standard that up until this point I normally expected of Toronto. This being NOT THE OLYMPICS doesn't mean you don't put your best face forward. I shall not resort to personal attacks but you just don't leave your best face lying around on the ground especially when you are a first time player. I am more convinced now than ever that Baku -irrespective of how the country is governed - really captured what pride is and ambition is. The delivered remarkably and punched above their weight in a spectacular way. I shall expect to hear, now, that Toronto had nothing to prove. Honestly? From the looks of this, it really does not have anything to prove. It just didn't live up to the hype for me. You may or may not agree but the tinsel is what really makes the tree come to life. I am not saying that the show won't be good but it looks as though it is going to be inappropriate - out of context. It seems the Toronto people were so green at this stuff that they didn't consider context in a lot of things. Clearly from your anger, you are disappointed and I understand that. I am not being sarcastic. I am disappointed too. I absolutely LOVE that city. But when you take on things like this, also given the fact that it is the largest event of its kind ever hosted by your country, you make sure everything is excellent. When I review everything I have seen so far with regards to every publicity event associated with these games, they don't or haven't reflected why these games matter. These games matter because they belong to an entire hemisphere of our planet and the youth who call that hemisphere home. Clearly the underlying motto for the Toronto people was "This isn't the Olympics so don't try"......and it has probably done more damage than good to think that way.

Comparisons with Baku are dumb. They spent twice what London did on its Olympic ceremonies for a regional Games most in Europe didn't even watch. Whether it was bursting with pride or not is hardly the point - those ceremonies weren't appropriate for those Games, for the caliber of athletes on show or the size of the audience. It was a show of power by the leaders of the nation that wasn't even seen by most.

That obvious point aside, this does look a little like the setup for Glasgow's ceremony, which Scottie Dogs aside I didn't think that much of.

Not that I'm going to get to see it, but I would hope Toronto would be steering a course between Glasgow which was a bit twee and lacking artistry, and Baku which was grossly over-sized.

Comparisons with Baku are dumb. They spent twice what London did on its Olympic ceremonies for a regional Games most in Europe didn't even watch. Whether it was bursting with pride or not is hardly the point - those ceremonies weren't appropriate for those Games, for the caliber of athletes on show or the size of the audience. It was a show of power by the leaders of the nation that wasn't even seen by most.

That obvious point aside, this does look a little like the setup for Glasgow's ceremony, which Scottie Dogs aside I didn't think that much of.

Not that I'm going to get to see it, but I would hope Toronto would be steering a course between Glasgow which was a bit twee and lacking artistry, and Baku which was grossly over-sized.

Rob, then kindly, if you will, explain Rio 2007. Rio knew that they would be going after the Olympics and made sure, insisted that the put their best foot forwards simply because the critics will be watching. And what happened? Can to share your views on Rio? Still a regional games.

Honestly the bitching in this thread is very annoying. I was there today for the dress rehearsal and it was great! It might not be the best ceremonies ever but at least it will be unique.

Yes, thank you! I get folks here think the ceremonies are the be all end all of events like this. But sometimes the characterization that there's multi-sport events are 2 ceremonies with a bunch of useless crap in the middle (otherwise known as 'sport') borders on the absurd sometimes. If we're going to break down and scrutinize the details of the ceremonies, at least put it all in context that this is a small part of a much larger event where most people outside this forum don't give the same weight to.

I submit, rather emphatically that YOU are exemplifying EXACTLY why some of the most crucial aspects of these games were Sloppy or did not project the standard that up until this point I normally expected of Toronto. This being NOT THE OLYMPICS doesn't mean you don't put your best face forward. I shall not resort to personal attacks but you just don't leave your best face lying around on the ground especially when you are a first time player. I am more convinced now than ever that Baku -irrespective of how the country is governed - really captured what pride is and ambition is. The delivered remarkably and punched above their weight in a spectacular way. I shall expect to hear, now, that Toronto had nothing to prove. Honestly? From the looks of this, it really does not have anything to prove. It just didn't live up to the hype for me. You may or may not agree but the tinsel is what really makes the tree come to life. I am not saying that the show won't be good but it looks as though it is going to be inappropriate - out of context. It seems the Toronto people were so green at this stuff that they didn't consider context in a lot of things. Clearly from your anger, you are disappointed and I understand that. I am not being sarcastic. I am disappointed too. I absolutely LOVE that city. But when you take on things like this, also given the fact that it is the largest event of its kind ever hosted by your country, you make sure everything is excellent. When I review everything I have seen so far with regards to every publicity event associated with these games, they don't or haven't reflected why these games matter. These games matter because they belong to an entire hemisphere of our planet and the youth who call that hemisphere home. Clearly the underlying motto for the Toronto people was "This isn't the Olympics so don't try"......and it has probably done more damage than good to think that way.

Once again.. Canada has hosted an Olympics. I know the number of athletes for this event is equal to if not slightly larger than that of the `76 Olympics. But that event was attended by 92 nations. This one is expected to be attended by 41. Maybe we're arguing semantics here, but be careful where you're on an Olympic forum trying to push that another event is bigger than the Olympics. It's been done here before and it usually doesn't go over well.

Olympic bids are rarely won with pride and ambition. They are won with a solid technical plan and a willingness from the IOC to put their quadrennial event in that city/country. Your characterization that Baku is better suited to host an Olympics than Toronto based on pride and ambition is ludicrous. Get back to me when the NOC of Azerbaijan gets a bid on the shortlist, because that hasn't happened yet. As opposed to Canada, a country that has earned the distinction of hosting 3 Olympics.

You continue with this perception that Toronto isn't trying hard enough or that they don't care enough and therefore they have no business bidding for an Olympics. Even though they've bid twice before, made the shortlist both times and even got more votes than mighty Paris one time. You can't discount or deny this FACT. If Toronto is put up for bid and presented to the IOC, certainly their efforts and experience from the Pan Am Games will come into play. But how flashy their ceremonies and how much amibition they showed are is such a minuscule factor in that. Technical merit means much more and that element we're only going to start to see play out now. I continue to urge you.. get back to us in 16 days once this even plays out. Put the ceremonies in their proper context and then judge Toronto. But either way, if you still honestly think that Toronto has no business bidding for an Olympics (based on what you've seen so far) and that Baku would somehow be preferable to the IOC is a very mis-guided judgment.

• Like 2

Rob, then kindly, if you will, explain Rio 2007. Rio knew that they would be going after the Olympics and made sure, insisted that the put their best foot forwards simply because the critics will be watching. And what happened? Can to share your views on Rio? Still a regional games.

I'll share my view. Rio bid twice for the Olympics prior to 2007. Failed to make the shortlist both times. Brazil had never before hosted an Olympics.

Toronto bid bid for the Olympics prior to their hosting the Pan Ams. From a country that had already hosted the Olympics twice. Made the shortlist both times. Toronto does not need to prove with this event that they are capable of hosting the Olympics. The IOC already believes they are. So they don't have the same chip on their shoulder that Rio did. Toronto's future success in an Olympic bid does not hinge as much on their success or failure here as you seem to think it does. And even for Rio.. that they made the shortlist for 2016 when they didn't for 2012 was less about hosting a successful Pan Ams and much more about much weaker competition that they were up against.

• Like 3

Well, this is certainly going to be a very different ceremony from the stuff we're used to. However I'm always open to new and innovating ideas and its too soon to judge the show just because of the stage. After all its Cirque du Soleil we're talking about. I'm sure we will get a good surprise.

PS: Out of curiosity but who's going to open the games? Harper or the GG?

Toronto bid bid for the Olympics prior to their hosting the Pan Ams. From a country that had already hosted the Olympics twice. Made the shortlist both times. Toronto does not need to prove with this event that they are capable of hosting the Olympics. The IOC already believes they are. So they don't have the same chip on their shoulder that Rio did. Toronto's future success in an Olympic bid does not hinge as much on their success or failure here as you seem to think it does.

Maybe the IOC doesn't, but the president of the COC seems to think that the Pan Ams "are a really big step to the biggest show on earth, the Olympic Games".

I think we all know better though, not to draw any parallels between the two cities.

And even for Rio.. that they made the shortlist for 2016 when they didn't for 2012 was less about hosting a successful Pan Ams and much more about much weaker competition that they were up against.

The Pan Ams helped Rio's cause, though. Doesn't mean though that aspect is going to help other cities in the same quest.

• Like 1

Well, this is certainly going to be a very different ceremony from the stuff we're used to. However I'm always open to new and innovating ideas and its too soon to judge the show just because of the stage. After all its Cirque du Soleil we're talking about. I'm sure we will get a good surprise.

PS: Out of curiosity but who's going to open the games? Harper or the GG?

GG

From the looks of those screenshots, Toronto's Pan Am Opening Ceremony shapes to be something different with a stage and a screenshot. It's a little like Rejykavik's Games of the Smaller States of Europe version just over a month ago. Albeit more advanced and sophisticated. Do indeed hope too that it's pleasantly surprising that reflects Toronto's multiculturalism

Water polo, like soccer in the Summer Olympics, actually started the Pan American Games competition. All at the Markham Pan Am Centre. Men's games were:

Group A:

July 7
United States 27 Ecuador 0

July 8
Argentina 21 Ecuador 8
United States 21 Cuba 4

July 9
Cuba 7 Argentina 7

Group B

July 7

Venezuela 9 Mexico 9
Brazil 11 Canada 9

July 8, 2015
Brazil 22 Venezuela 2

July 9, 2015
Brazil 22 Mexico 9
Canada 16 Venezuela 2

Women's Pan Am water polo

Group A

July 7
United States 25 Mexico 3

July 8
Argentina 10 Mexico 8
United States 18 Cuba 3

July 9, 2015
Cuba 10 Argentina 3

Group B

July 7
Venezuela 11 Puerto Rico 11
Canada 7 Brazil 7

July 8, 2015
Canada 15 Venezuela 4

July 9, 2015
Brazil 18 Venezuela 1
Canada 19 Puerto Rico 3

CBC's 2015 Pan American Games media details:
http://panam.cbc.ca/news/article/image-pan-games-how-watch-cbc-coverage-computer-phone.html (English)
http://panam.radio-canada.ca/ici-tele/ (French)