Toronto 2015

Apple

I can't believe that the plans I started to make a year ago on a whim (Let's book a hotel in case we actually go to the Pan Am Games) are so close to being realized. Should arrive at our hotel around 1pm Friday. Then within a few short hours we are off to the OC.

Where are you staying if you don't mind me asking?

If that's the stage and there's seating on the ground like that, then it already looks like their OC will disappoint us.

I thought that was for medal ceremonies... not looking good.

The setup definitely screams "Cirque du Soleil show". Except spread out and messy.

TLN's (TeleLatino) 2015 Pan American Games TV schedule. Weekends are where the coverage will be more wall-to-wall with weekdays one-hour highlights from 6-7pm Canada/US Eastern. Univision Canada seems more comprehensive. Both TeleLatino and Univision Canada will air the documentary Yo Juego, which the former will air before the Opening Ceremony

TeleLatino's 2015 Pan American Games TV schedule:

http://tlntv.com/TO2015/enespanol/schedule

Univision Canada's 2015 Pan American Games TV schedule:

http://univisioncanada.ca/TO2015/enespanol/schedule

Yo Juego doc:

http://yojuego.ca/Inicio

Have ceremonies been done in baseball stadiums before? One of the nice things about a baseball stadium is that you can turn the infield into a stage and have pretty good sight lines for people in the stands. It looks like that's what's been done here.

I'm just wondering, but are you guys saying this will be disappointing because the setup is not like a traditional ceremony setup?

A stage with a huge backdrop means they won't be able to have large movements of choreographed volunteers, floats or suspended things moving through the stadium. I think it's safe to say this will mostly be songs, dancing and acrobatics on the stage.

Edited by Nacre

Have ceremonies been done in baseball stadiums before? One of the nice things about a baseball stadium is that you can turn the infield into a stage and have pretty good sight lines for people in the stands. It looks like that's what's been done here.

Atlanta 1996, which was also the athletics stadium for the games before converting into a baseball stadium, but there was no hiding the fact that it indeed was a baseball stadium. Also I believe Nagano 1998 they used a baseball stadium.

Atlanta 1996, which was also the athletics stadium for the games before converting into a baseball stadium, but there was no hiding the fact that it indeed was a baseball stadium. Also I believe Nagano 1998 they used a baseball stadium.

The opening ceremony of the 1979 Pan Am Games in San Juan were also done in a baseball field

1979--Hiram-BithornE.jpg

I'm just wondering, but are you guys saying this will be disappointing because the setup is not like a traditional ceremony setup?

Yes, and for reasons that Nacre mentioned. If you're limiting your floor use to focus all your performances on that one small stage, then clearly you don't have anything on a large-scale for the OC.

This ceremony might to be worse than the Icheon's one...

I think it'll compete with Glasgow's commonwealth games OC from last year as one of the worst! I think it will be like watching the OC for the Youth Olympics in Singapore!

• Like 1

Honestly the bitching in this thread is very annoying. I was there today for the dress rehearsal and it was great! It might not be the best ceremonies ever but at least it will be unique.

You're completely right. This is why I try to avoid coming to this forum, it's full of whining b*tches that only care about silly stuff. I forget about opening ceremonies the day after they're over, as long as they aren't completely unwatchable or have the level of a school play, who cares?? I prefer to spend my time thinking about the sports and the venues they are held in.

• Like 2

Yes, and for reasons that Nacre mentioned. If you're limiting your floor use to focus all your performances on that one small stage, then clearly you don't have anything on a large-scale for the OC.

I think it'll compete with Glasgow's commonwealth games OC from last year as one of the worst! I think it will be like watching the OC for the Youth Olympics in Singapore!

Judging from those big screens, Glasgow has been a significant model for this OC. It's been known since at least 2004 that, if the main audience is TV, the reasons to provide a stadium-filling show are reduced to (a) showing off mass-movement skills and/or (B) giving the stadium audience value for their tickets. Multiple-camera TV can easily overcome a lack of performers (and even a lack of anything much happening except one person throwing a ball and another trying to hit it with a bat).

I hate auto-generated smileys ! ( b

It was unfortunately clear that from the time the words "600 performers" had been thrown around in a facility as vast as that...... and I was crucified on these boards for my position that Toronto is not getting the concepts right. This is the most glaring evidence yet of a cost cutting exercise.

You cannot diminish the fact that the Ceremonies set the tone for everything else afterwards. Imagine Sydney with a stage like that for the Olympics.

• Like 1