Toronto 2015

Apple

LOL at using the stadium for "other things". The Rogers Centre is the full time home of a professional baseball team. The Pan Am Games are secondary in the eyes of the stadium owners.

So... They should have considered to use another stage, instead...

There is no need for Canada to go all out for these ceremonies, especially considering these are not as big as the Olympics

But regional Games are having an increasing way to present them to the worls (specially considering that all ceremonies can be seen on YouTube anytime anywhere) Look at these examples: Rio, Guangzhou, Doha (both Asiad and Pan Arabic Games), Mersin, Singapore, Baku, Kazan... etc etc etc..

Why not Toronto....?????

In some cases, the regional Games ceremonies have been even better than Olympic ones (Kazan better than Sochi, Baku better than London)

Otherwise, we have to wait 4 years time something big for Lima in 2019. Peruvians surely will make a big effort to present the country to the world as best as possible.... Sure, they will....

• Like 1

But regional Games are having an increasing way to present them to the worls (specially considering that all ceremonies can be seen on YouTube anytime anywhere) Look at these examples: Rio, Guangzhou, Doha (both Asiad and Pan Arabic Games), Mersin, Singapore, Baku, Kazan... etc etc etc..

Why not Toronto....?????

In some cases, the regional Games ceremonies have been even better than Olympic ones (Kazan better than Sochi, Baku better than London)

Just look at the list of cities you named and the type if government in most of these countries...glittery shows have been put on by authoritarian regimes ever since the Romans introduced "Panem et Circensis", to appease the simple folk...

I don't get what's so hard to grasp that Baku was just an Azeri propaganda show with athletes as extras, likewise the all-stunning Chinese events, Qatar etc

Just look at the list of cities you named and the type if government in most of these countries...glittery shows have been put on by authoritarian regimes ever since the Romans introduced "Panem et Circensis", to appease the simple folk...

I don't get what's so hard to grasp that Baku was just an Azeri propaganda show with athletes as extras, likewise the all-stunning Chinese events, Qatar etc

And this interpretation reflects the greater tragedy of western world thinking on multiple levels. Firstly, western countries are increasingly making excuses for a deficit in excellence and should it continue at its current rate, a very hefty price will be paid. Because the Western world is the preferred world, the best examples of excellence - or at least most of the best examples of excellence SHOULD come from us and this SHOULD be the foremost expectancy of us - by those who look at us and most importantly, by we OURSELVES. Cowering behind this folly that "we have nothing to prove' is grossly misleading. Secondly, you are assuming that Azeris could not possibly be motivated to put on a good show simply because they LOVE their country. Certainly there was a propaganda element. However, the excellence of Baku represented enormous national pride. I am one westerner who saw that coming through along with the propaganda. Remember that the 2008 torch relay showed that even people living under/in systems that are not western, retain an unquenchable pride in their country. They may not like how it is run, but they insist that they SHALL be proud of their country. Why can't the Azeris?

Then go move to Baku if it is so wonderful, just don't come crying to us to bail you out after you've been imprisoned for being too opinionated. You've clearly fallen for a charade perpetuated by a totalitarian regime.

BTW, "bitch-slapped," I do believe Throne's façade of pretentiousness is crumbling.

I am, indeed, most exhausted from bitch-slapping you.

This undoubtedly is the shoddiest public relations preparation of any sporting event by an Olympic hopeful city. It is utterly disgraceful. And to think that some people are trying to save face about it is just.....atrocious! Baku does not have Half of Half of Half of the global impact of Toronto and it was immaculate. So too was Singapore. For a global city to be bitch slapped in this way by a city like Baku who, no doubt has caused a swing of heads in its favour is just unprecedented. Yet another reason why Toronto should not put forward an Olympic bid until the 2070's or there about. Given from what we have seen, Baku would whip Toronto soundly at the logistics and I just can't believe I typed that :blink:

Canada - hosted 3 Olympics, including 1 Summer Olympics

Azerbaijan - 2 attempts to host the Olympics, both times they failed to make the short-list

No please, tell us more about how Azerbaijan is better suited to host an Olympics than Canada, who has hosted 3 of them. The funny thing is.. I CAN believe you just typed that. Shows how out of touch with reality you are.

And this interpretation reflects the greater tragedy of western world thinking on multiple levels. Firstly, western countries are increasingly making excuses for a deficit in excellence and should it continue at its current rate, a very hefty price will be paid. Because the Western world is the preferred world, the best examples of excellence - or at least most of the best examples of excellence SHOULD come from us and this SHOULD be the foremost expectancy of us - by those who look at us and most importantly, by we OURSELVES. Cowering behind this folly that "we have nothing to prove' is grossly misleading. Secondly, you are assuming that Azeris could not possibly be motivated to put on a good show simply because they LOVE their country. Certainly there was a propaganda element. However, the excellence of Baku represented enormous national pride. I am one westerner who saw that coming through along with the propaganda. Remember that the 2008 torch relay showed that even people living under/in systems that are not western, retain an unquenchable pride in their country. They may not like how it is run, but they insist that they SHALL be proud of their country. Why can't the Azeris?

No, I take that back. THIS shows how out of touch with reality you are. Western countries are smart not to spend absurd amounts of money to inflate their ego to show themselves off to the world. China is an exception. It's a nation of more than a billion people and was hosting the Summer Olympics, not a continental multi-sport competition that virtually no one outside of Europe (or this forum) gives a damn about. Good for Baku that they put on a wonderful opening ceremony. Good for the love of their country and their enormous national pride. Are people going to be flocking to Baku as a result? Not a chance. Is the IOC any more likely to award them a Summer Olympics than they were before? Doubtful.

What exactly is a deficit in excellence? Does that mean we're not getting this?..

award84.jpg

A very hefty price will be paid? What price? Again, China showed themselves off to the WORLD and yes, the 2008 Olympics may be a watershed moment in their history. Not for Baku. Not for a European games. Western countries do not like pride or excellence because we don't put on opulent expensive ceremonies. If anything, kudos to such nations for knowing how better to spend their money and resources and not giving in to the temptation to flaunt themselves for little reason other than pride.

I am, indeed, most exhausted from bitch-slapping you.

54637520.jpg

• Like 1

Clearly, Quaker, you are cosmically vain. You simply have allowed your emotions to get the better of you and have not analysed. Western Countries KNOWING how to spend money? Are you serious? You sound like the fox with the sour grapes. Your submission simply reinforces my greater point that the West is shifting out of focus and allowing itself to do so. You cannot compare a GIANT world player like Canada to Azerbaijan. But what is truly staggering is that we see that Azerbaijan was able to organise an international event from start to finish better that the largest city if a globally powerful country. AGAIN, you are interpreting excellence ONLY within the context of expense. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE TO BE EXCELLENT. There again, is yet another blistering bitch-slap to you. A classic DYNASTY styled one if I might add.

This argument started when intoronto said "there is no need for Canada to go all out for these ceremonies, especially considering these are not as big as the Olympics".

I agree, to an extent. Going inappropriately big to outdo other regional Games' efforts is not going to magically enhance Canada's or Toronto's reputation. It's about getting the balance right and being - I suppose you could say - appropriatly excellent. I think Manchester's 2002 ceremonies were a good example of this.

And anyway, Delhi certainly had better ceremonies than Glasgow for their CWG but one edition of the Games enhanced a city's profile fantastically whilst the other did lasting damage.

Sometimes we get too hung up on ceremonies here.....(waiting for a Baron bitch-slap now)

• Like 1

Clearly, Quaker, you are cosmically vain. You simply have allowed your emotions to get the better of you and have not analysed. Western Countries KNOWING how to spend money? Are you serious? You sound like the fox with the sour grapes. Your submission simply reinforces my greater point that the West is shifting out of focus and allowing itself to do so. You cannot compare a GIANT world player like Canada to Azerbaijan. But what is truly staggering is that we see that Azerbaijan was able to organise an international event from start to finish better that the largest city if a globally powerful country. AGAIN, you are interpreting excellence ONLY within the context of expense. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE TO BE EXCELLENT. There again, is yet another blistering bitch-slap to you. A classic DYNASTY styled one if I might add.

You're the one prattling on about the abstract concept of "excellence" and I'm the one who is vain? And please stop using the term "bitch slap" when clearly you don't know the meaning of the term and how to use it.

Once again, I find it particularly amusing that you have already passed judgment on Toronto as a failure. Considering the Pan Am Games haven't actually started yet, clearly you are only basing this on the lead-up. If you consider that a failure, that's your prerogative. But you can't talk about "start to finish" when Toronto's event hasn't finished and hasn't even started yet. Did you call the psychic hotline for this information? You have a crystal ball that you can see into the future with? Tell us your secret!

Also funny that you say "You cannot compare a GIANT world player like Canada to Azerbaijan." At which point you proceed to compare Canada and Azerbaijan. Oh, and if we're going to talk about the start to finish organization of the 2015 European Games, let's consider..

Top British Baku 2015 Organiser: Not My Job to Criticise Azerbaijan Human Rights Abuses

Azerbaijan bans Guardian from reporting on Baku European Games

And my personal favorite.. European Games: Bus driver held over injured athletes

Must have imported some drivers from Atlanta on that last one.

Once again, you have become so narrow-minded that you look at relatively insignificant aspects of these events and apply those opinions to cover what you perceive to be the overall organizational effort. Baku had a better torch relay and a great opening ceremony. Therefore, their organization is better. No. If you subscribe to that theory, go right ahead. But again, you're comparing an opening ceremony to one that hasn't happened yet. I hope you see how foolish that is.

Rob is absolutely correct. Treat the ceremonies for what they are. But if you're going to make statements on the overall organization of 1 event versus another, you need to look beyond the ceremonies and the torch design and all the minutia. And particularly in the case of Toronto, do yourself a favor and let the event actually play out before you pass judgment.

You must be able to read and extract only what is said. I NEVER pronounced Toronto as a failure. I critically evaluated the various aspects of the Pan Am preparations as they evolved along the continuum of time. YOU, most unfortunately, generalised my submissions to an overall declaration of failure on Toronto's part. Again, I have offered NO JUDGEMENT ON THE EVENT ITSELF just what has occurred so far.

Incidentally, what you call insignificant aspects, actually help to index how the event will evolve. I leave YOU to do the math.

You must be able to read and extract only what is said. I NEVER pronounced Toronto as a failure. I critically evaluated the various aspects of the Pan Am preparations as they evolved along the continuum of time. YOU, most unfortunately, generalised my submissions to an overall declaration of failure on Toronto's part. Again, I have offered NO JUDGEMENT ON THE EVENT ITSELF just what has occurred so far.

Incidentally, what you call insignificant aspects, actually help to index how the event will evolve. I leave YOU to do the math.

No, I think I've been able to read between the lines with you, especially having seen your ups and downs with regard to Toronto in the lead up to the event. Perhaps your mindset will change when the actual event has played out and you have more to go on than medal designs and torch ceremonies. The overall perception of the event is what matters. Rob brought up a great point re: Delhi vs. Glasgow. I don't know about the specifics of the 2, but I do know he's correct when he says that Delhi's CWG did not help the profile of the city.

So yes, you have clearly already passed judgment against Toronto. This is evident when you say "Toronto should not put forward an Olympic bid until the 2070's" because they got bitch-slapped by Baku. Sounds an awful lot like a judgment to me. And an overall declaration of failure that Toronto is un-fit to host a large scale event. You practically had an orgasm at seeing Singapore's ceremony. Yet between these 3 cities, which is most likely to actually win a bid to host the Summer Olympics? It's about more than opulent ceremonies and supposed "excellence" in organization. You can tell us these things will help index how the event will evolve. Or maybe they won't. Again, good for cities like Baku and Singapore for showing off pride in their country. But this is not a "tragedy" of the Western world that they're trying to organize these events in a more sustainable and efficient matter. I know you believe it's possible to have both and you're right, but again, don't conflate these 2 concepts when there are bigger overriding themes involved with these events. Keep those in mind as you watch the XVII Pan American Games in Toronto, Ontario, Canada over the next 3 weeks and try to offer a basis of comparison with Baku or Singapore where you're only familiar with what's on the surface of those events.

He divulged the 31 students in the junior program will be performing the “Forest Borealis” segment of the opening ceremonies, being held next Friday at the Rogers Centre.

“It's very fun,” he said. “They have acrobats in our number . . . so it's a really cool scene.”

He said there will be bubbles hanging from the ceiling with Cirque du Soleil acrobats inside doing various maneuvers.

However, Alexander said he and fellow students keep their feet firmly on the stage during the performance.

“In our dance we reach out and try and find our dreams,” he said. “We're reaching out to the Pan Am torch.”

Source:http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/07/03/chatham-native-part-of-opening-ceremonies-for-toronto-2015-pan-amparapan-am-games

No, I think I've been able to read between the lines with you, especially having seen your ups and downs with regard to Toronto in the lead up to the event. Perhaps your mindset will change when the actual event has played out and you have more to go on than medal designs and torch ceremonies. The overall perception of the event is what matters. Rob brought up a great point re: Delhi vs. Glasgow. I don't know about the specifics of the 2, but I do know he's correct when he says that Delhi's CWG did not help the profile of the city.

So yes, you have clearly already passed judgment against Toronto. This is evident when you say "Toronto should not put forward an Olympic bid until the 2070's" because they got bitch-slapped by Baku. Sounds an awful lot like a judgment to me. And an overall declaration of failure that Toronto is un-fit to host a large scale event. You practically had an orgasm at seeing Singapore's ceremony. Yet between these 3 cities, which is most likely to actually win a bid to host the Summer Olympics? It's about more than opulent ceremonies and supposed "excellence" in organization. You can tell us these things will help index how the event will evolve. Or maybe they won't. Again, good for cities like Baku and Singapore for showing off pride in their country. But this is not a "tragedy" of the Western world that they're trying to organize these events in a more sustainable and efficient matter. I know you believe it's possible to have both and you're right, but again, don't conflate these 2 concepts when there are bigger overriding themes involved with these events. Keep those in mind as you watch the XVII Pan American Games in Toronto, Ontario, Canada over the next 3 weeks and try to offer a basis of comparison with Baku or Singapore where you're only familiar with what's on the surface of those events.

It makes absolutely NO SENSE to continue this discussion with you. You simply DO NOT GET IT!

tumblr_m7x0o4x0231rbmbw5o1_500.jpg

Seriously, for the love of god. No more of this stupid fight. I dunno who's dumber. One guy with his irrelevant posts or the people who keep falling for the bait and answers him.

You've all killed this thread to me and many. I hope you're fucking proud now. I can't get here without reading these shitposts instead of reliable news about Toronto 2015.

• Like 1

And the race against time to set up the stage begins :lol:

Also they mentioned once again they will use over 600 hundred people. Seems too little for that vast space if you ask me. I guess they'll most likely use part of the field to seat the athletes

Also they mentioned once again they will use over 600 hundred people. Seems too little for that vast space if you ask me. I guess they'll most likely use part of the field to seat the athletes

It seems like this will be it, as far as we can stretch the hints of the producing team.

Omg...omg...what is that? There...over there...quick! What IS that? Its....its......excitement.....quick! Somebody kill it! Lololo...No..seriously may these ceremonies be a turning point towards the better.

And will there be audience participation?

They may reffer to 600 volunteers... te rest of the people may be the Cirque du Soleil cast... anyway, it won't be a massive display as we watched in Baku...