Toronto 2015

Apple

So, you did very little to address my original point which was to explain what has happened that you have soured on Toronto. So let's dissect this..

You would think that AFTER loosing so many Olympic bids before, it would FINALLY seek to become a REAL gamechanger.

Toronto has lost 2 bids. 1 of those came in a vote that occurred just 2 1/2 years after Calgary and would have meant 3 Olympics (and 2 Summer Olympics) in Canada in a period of 20 years. Wasn't going to happen. Then in the vote for 2008, Toronto had the 2nd most votes behind runaway winner Beijing. They even finished ahead of Paris. So that's their history.

And, rather tragically, your 2nd century view that "The Pan Ams were never going to be some watershed moment in the history of the city of Toronto" and that "This is still a continental sports event that most people on 4 other continents won't take note of, and wouldn't even if they were a rousing success" speaks to an absurd trajectory of thinking which has fed this perception that... " So Hey, let's not try our best". Aside from the glaringly obvious fact that in order to win an Olympic bid, Toronto NEEDS the support of the 40 countries of North and South America, YOUR attitude ( which appears to be the general attitude of the Toronto organising people) has frankly- if I may add- caused very important people to accurately pinpoint WHY Toronto is so catastrophically sore at loosing international events to other cities.

What makes you think Toronto is not trying their best? Because the torch and the banners aren't aesthetically pleasing enough to you? More than that.. why are you trying to generalize the mindset of the Toronto organizing committee based on my comment here in a forum? Particularly when you have since made it clear those viewpoints don't apply to everyone involved with the bid. You are correct that Toronto - should they bid for the Olympics in the future - will need support. Yes, a successful Pan Ams will help that cause. But it will not make or break their aspirations, particularly if that Olympic bid doesn't come until years down the line. This notion of yours that Toronto is suddenly going to be thrust into a worldwide spotlight based on the Pan Ams is absurd. There is not going to be this large mass of people introduced to Toronto that weren't aware of the city before. The Olympics and the World Cup often serve those means. Not a continental sports event. If you expect otherwise, you need to put your expectations in check.

More than all that.. tell us, what "very important people" have accurately pinpointed WHY Toronto is catastrophically sore at losing (not loosing) international events. Because the only person furthering that notion here seems to be you.

If there are three strategic reasons why everyone is FIGHTING to host something in China, or Dubai or London, it is that these places have distinguished themselves as the trendsetters for event management on a global scale because of their relentless application of excellence. It is ALWAYS about using the event to promote themselves to the world. THE EVENT SIZE DOESN'T DICTATE THE APPLICATION OF EXCELLENCE AND THAT IS THE MILE WIDE EXIT SIGN THAT YOU MISSED!

Dubai? What major sports events has Dubai hosted? Last I checked, Canada as a country has hosted 3 Olympics. That's 3 more than the UAE has hosted. Once again, you're the one who thinks I'm asserting that the Toronto committee isn't trying hard. You are the one who seems to have already closed the book on Toronto being a failure. Those of us who don't share that opinion are allowed to disagree with you, aren't we?

And kindly do note well, that anyone...ANYONE who is so epically immature to verbally share the kind of thought process which appears to be definitive of your contributions would be FIRED from an organising committee for any event in those locations (and rightfully so). Unless this thinking changes, Toronto will not be at the centre of anything though it has all the ingredients to be. That is this the largest sporting event Canada has ever hosted should be reason enough for it to be a watershed moment in Toronto's history. You should have a least one synapse to reason this. :blink:

We went over this before. 1976 Summer Olympics. It's semantics whether you consider this event larger than that one based on numbers of participants and the like. But to characterize this as the biggest sports event in the country's history is hogwash. And that's not to disrespect the Pan Ams so much as it is to serve as a measure of where they stand, regardless of where you believe they should stand. That's not Toronto's fault the event is not as big as it could be.

Again, I am not a member of the organizing committee. Neither are you. I would say no one here is except that's not the case. I suspect intoronto is not internalizing your insults, but it is insults towards people he work with where it's easy for you to make such statements from your (supposed) Throne.

The chasm of misinterpretation on your part is galactic in proportions since the contribution was NOT intended for YOU to personalise it! I am starting to have very serious doubts about the calibre of people conversing on this thread!

At which LEVEL in the Organising hierarchy of the Toronto Pan Ams do you work! You do not need to answer - just think about it.

I am so sorry is a snowflake leaves an impact crater on your skin. But you are internalising things not meant to be internalised by you.

List, if you will, the things which, in retrospect, COULD have be done better during the Pre Pan Am phase.

How about this, again since you did little to address my post earlier..

List for us, if you would be so kind and gracious, the things which you believe have not been done well in the Pre-Pan Am phase that have caused you to do a complete 180 with regard to your feelings towards Toronto. Please tell me this is actually about more than torches and banners and this general sense of doom where you have already proclaimed Toronto's Pan Am Games to be an epic failure.

Throne needs to study the history of the Pan American Games in order to understand just how good these Games will be. Cali 1971 and Caracas 1983 had claustrophobic accommodations for the athletes who also suffered from a lack of availability of safe drinking water. Indianapolis 1987 also had a overcrowding issue at the military barracks that served as the Pan Am village, a problem only solved when he US athletes moved out to hotels. Then there was Santo Domingo 2003 and the cows wading in the rowing venue. Rio 2007 had issues with the power supply at the one venue cluster. Guadalajara's athletics stadium was not ready until the Games got underway. Toronto's preparations have been almost impeccable in comparison.

• Like 2

As the Pan Am Games approach, ticket sales are ticking up and infrastructure projects are under budget.

Almost half the tickets have sold out — if you don’t count soccer qualifiers.

Excluding preliminary rounds of soccer, almost 45 per cent of tickets have sold, organizing committee CEO Saad Rafi said Friday.

That’s more than 400,000 of the 1.4 million tickets available for Pan Am and Parapan Am events.

Source:http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/25/ticket-sales-tick-up-for-pan-am-games.html

So, you did very little to address my original point which was to explain what has happened that you have soured on Toronto. So let's dissect this..

Toronto has lost 2 bids. 1 of those came in a vote that occurred just 2 1/2 years after Calgary and would have meant 3 Olympics (and 2 Summer Olympics) in Canada in a period of 20 years. Wasn't going to happen. Then in the vote for 2008, Toronto had the 2nd most votes behind runaway winner Beijing. They even finished ahead of Paris. So that's their history.

What makes you think Toronto is not trying their best? Because the torch and the banners aren't aesthetically pleasing enough to you? More than that.. why are you trying to generalize the mindset of the Toronto organizing committee based on my comment here in a forum? Particularly when you have since made it clear those viewpoints don't apply to everyone involved with the bid. You are correct that Toronto - should they bid for the Olympics in the future - will need support. Yes, a successful Pan Ams will help that cause. But it will not make or break their aspirations, particularly if that Olympic bid doesn't come until years down the line. This notion of yours that Toronto is suddenly going to be thrust into a worldwide spotlight based on the Pan Ams is absurd. There is not going to be this large mass of people introduced to Toronto that weren't aware of the city before. The Olympics and the World Cup often serve those means. Not a continental sports event. If you expect otherwise, you need to put your expectations in check.

More than all that.. tell us, what "very important people" have accurately pinpointed WHY Toronto is catastrophically sore at losing (not loosing) international events. Because the only person furthering that notion here seems to be you.

Dubai? What major sports events has Dubai hosted? Last I checked, Canada as a country has hosted 3 Olympics. That's 3 more than the UAE has hosted. Once again, you're the one who thinks I'm asserting that the Toronto committee isn't trying hard. You are the one who seems to have already closed the book on Toronto being a failure. Those of us who don't share that opinion are allowed to disagree with you, aren't we?

We went over this before. 1976 Summer Olympics. It's semantics whether you consider this event larger than that one based on numbers of participants and the like. But to characterize this as the biggest sports event in the country's history is hogwash. And that's not to disrespect the Pan Ams so much as it is to serve as a measure of where they stand, regardless of where you believe they should stand. That's not Toronto's fault the event is not as big as it could be.

Again, I am not a member of the organizing committee. Neither are you. I would say no one here is except that's not the case. I suspect intoronto is not internalizing your insults, but it is insults towards people he work with where it's easy for you to make such statements from your (supposed) Throne.

I hereby ask you to review your emphasis on loosing versus my use of losing - but that is an invisibly small issue given that such errors do not accurately index linguistic competence.

In the bidding process for the Olympics, 2 LOSING bids is substantial. Toronto appears to be on a trend of choosing the wrong races for the Olympics. 2024 would have been superb but a bruised ego, and the lack of deep strategic analysis of both the Olympic bidding process and their previous history in that process will mean that they will have to wait further and further along the century. But then, we must ascertain WHY Toronto would like to host the Olympics. Moreover, does your city NEED the Olympics? While I graciously refrain from submitting an answer to the former, I can certainly offer my opinion on the latter as an outsider peering in. YES, your city needs the Olympics on the account that it needs that epic shove to position it closer or better yet, directly into double alpha-rated club of global cities. But then the question of confidence comes into the equation. How confident are the movers and shakers of this city in seeking to achieve this.

AGAIN you are too simplistic in pointing to my fury about the banners and the posters etc. These things, as insignificant as you may regard them, are exceptionally strategic to the marketing and promotional aspect of the event. They frame public excitement and interest and act a reference point of expectancy. Optimizing POSITIVE public expectancy is positively correlated to event excellence and attendance success. I mean, why should I be explaining this to you? It should be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obvious! Toronto NEEDED to ace this. In all honesty, if it were up to me, I would have utilized most if not all the team from Vancouver. They just repeatedly aced everything and this was agreed upon at an international level. Excellence, does not necessarily mean expensive. It many cases, it means a superlatively masterful blend of time-strategy and idea-strategy; Having and executing the perfect idea at the perfect time and THAT requires exquisite planning talent....something which, I'm afraid, Toronto seems to be sorely lacking. And if this is lacking at this - what is to you a "minor stage" (the Pan Ams) - we cannot suddenly have faith that the Toronto people will "get it right" at the Major stage ( the Olympics). At least, the important aspects should be orbiting flawlessness and not be shying away from it.....certainly not at this stage.

I hereby ask you to review your emphasis on loosing versus my use of losing - but that is an invisibly small issue given that such errors do not accurately index linguistic competence.

You spell a word wrong once, maybe it's a typo. Except you spelled it wrong twice. Thereby making it less likely to be a typo. But this is neither here nor there. Like you said, it's an invisibly small issue. Good for you though that you're still preaching the high and mighty linguistic competence bullcrap. But I disgress..

In the bidding process for the Olympics, 2 LOSING bids is substantial. Toronto appears to be on a trend of choosing the wrong races for the Olympics. 2024 would have been superb but a bruised ego, and the lack of deep strategic analysis of both the Olympic bidding process and their previous history in that process will mean that they will have to wait further and further along the century. But then, we must ascertain WHY Toronto would like to host the Olympics. Moreover, does your city NEED the Olympics? While I graciously refrain from submitting an answer to the former, I can certainly offer my opinion on the latter as an outsider peering in. YES, your city needs the Olympics on the account that it needs that epic shove to position it closer or better yet, directly into double alpha-rated club of global cities. But then the question of confidence comes into the equation. How confident are the movers and shakers of this city in seeking to achieve this.

Is it now? Paris has lost 3 times and has yet to win, but probably will at some point in the not too distant future. Pyeongchang lost twice before winning. Cities like Beijing and Athens have come back from tough losses to win. And speaking of Canadian cities, Calgary had also lost twice before they won. You're right that Toronto picked a couple of bad races, but that's as much on the country as it is the city. We can argue what their odds would have been for 2024, but I know most here feel it was not the right opportunity and therefore wise for the Canadians to sit one out. What bruised ego is there you speak of? Last time that Canada bid for an Olympics, they won.

Okay, so you think that hosting an Olympics would vault Toronto into a higher classification among world cities. Don't necessarily disagree with that. Still, does it make an Olympics a wise investment on Toronto's part? Because that's a separate question. I don't think Toronto would get this "epic shove" you speak of from hosting an Olympics. But again, hosting an Olympics is an exceedingly expensive project. If Toronto as a city and Canada as a country don't feel it's in their best interests, that's not a lack of confidence against the city or the country. It simply means they haven't found the right time and circumstance to make an Olympic bid work. There's no shame in that. Rarely does a city NEED the Olympics. Only in rare cases (Barcelona comes to mind) can a city make a real jump in prestige based on having hosted an Olympics where not having hosting an Olympics would have left them in a different place. I just don't see Toronto making this huge leap forward even if they were to host the Olympics, particularly since they would be the 4th city within that country to host.

AGAIN you are too simplistic in pointing to my fury about the banners and the posters etc. These things, as insignificant as you may regard them, are exceptionally strategic to the marketing and promotional aspect of the event. They frame public excitement and interest and act a reference point of expectancy. Optimizing POSITIVE public expectancy is positively correlated to event excellence and attendance success. I mean, why should I be explaining this to you? It should be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obvious! Toronto NEEDED to ace this. In all honesty, if it were up to me, I would have utilized most if not all the team from Vancouver. They just repeatedly aced everything and this was agreed upon at an international level. Excellence, does not necessarily mean expensive. It many cases, it means a superlatively masterful blend of time-strategy and idea-strategy; Having and executing the perfect idea at the perfect time and THAT requires exquisite planning talent....something which, I'm afraid, Toronto seems to be sorely lacking. And if this is lacking at this - what is to you a "minor stage" (the Pan Ams) - we cannot suddenly have faith that the Toronto people will "get it right" at the Major stage ( the Olympics). At least, the important aspects should be orbiting flawlessness and not be shying away from it.....certainly not at this stage.

I'm just trying to understand your rationale here. You had nothing but the most glowing things to say about Toronto a few months ago. Now it's almost nothing but negative comments and clearly it's all about this minutia that seems far more important to you than it should.

Here's the thing where your argument gets lost.. you continue to talk about this in the past tense. "Toronto NEEDED to ace this." This event has yet to take place. When history judges Toronto, they will do so on the basis of what happened during the event, not the lead up that got them there. You can make the argument that if attendance is low, they could have done a better job there. But it sounds like ticket sales are doing well. Either way, it's too early to pass judgment.

If 2 months from now - when the Games have played out - you have evidence to back up these feelings, then they are justified. Until then, you are merely making a prediction. Of course event excellence and attendance success is tied to promotion and marketing. But to frame that aspect of all this as if Toronto has already failed.. again, that is an opinion of yours that not everyone here shares. And I doubt neither do the people who will be attending this event, the ones who will actually determine whether it is a success or not. If I'm wrong on that one, feel free to offer up a big "I told you so." Either way, stop acting like it's a matter of fact at this point simply because you find yourself dissatisfied and think the organizing committee hasn't done their job (more than that really.. you think they're a bunch of incompetent idiots who are squandering a great opportunity here)

Sorry to interrupt proceedings but...what is the likelihood that a successful PanAm would change minds about 2024? Would still be before the deadline.

Its always possible, you just need someone like a Bob Richardson to bring the idea up to the mayor and let it proceed from there.

I do not take

Is it now? Paris has lost 3 times and has yet to win, but probably will at some point in the not too distant future. Pyeongchang lost twice before winning. Cities like Beijing and Athens have come back from tough losses to win. And speaking of Canadian cities, Calgary had also lost twice before they won. You're right that Toronto picked a couple of bad races, but that's as much on the country as it is the city. We can argue what their odds would have been for 2024, but I know most here feel it was not the right opportunity and therefore wise for the Canadians to sit one out. What bruised ego is there you speak of? Last time that Canada bid for an Olympics, they won.

Okay, so you think that hosting an Olympics would vault Toronto into a higher classification among world cities. Don't necessarily disagree with that. Still, does it make an Olympics a wise investment on Toronto's part? Because that's a separate question. I don't think Toronto would get this "epic shove" you speak of from hosting an Olympics. But again, hosting an Olympics is an exceedingly expensive project. If Toronto as a city and Canada as a country don't feel it's in their best interests, that's not a lack of confidence against the city or the country. It simply means they haven't found the right time and circumstance to make an Olympic bid work. There's no shame in that. Rarely does a city NEED the Olympics. Only in rare cases (Barcelona comes to mind) can a city make a real jump in prestige based on having hosted an Olympics where not having hosting an Olympics would have left them in a different place. I just don't see Toronto making this huge leap forward even if they were to host the Olympics, particularly since they would be the 4th city within that country to host.

I'm just trying to understand your rationale here. You had nothing but the most glowing things to say about Toronto a few months ago. Now it's almost nothing but negative comments and clearly it's all about this minutia that seems far more important to you than it should.

Here's the thing where your argument gets lost.. you continue to talk about this in the past tense. "Toronto NEEDED to ace this." This event has yet to take place. When history judges Toronto, they will do so on the basis of what happened during the event, not the lead up that got them there. You can make the argument that if attendance is low, they could have done a better job there. But it sounds like ticket sales are doing well. Either way, it's too early to pass judgment.

If 2 months from now - when the Games have played out - you have evidence to back up these feelings, then they are justified. Until then, you are merely making a prediction. Of course event excellence and attendance success is tied to promotion and marketing. But to frame that aspect of all this as if Toronto has already failed.. again, that is an opinion of yours that not everyone here shares. And I doubt neither do the people who will be attending this event, the ones who will actually determine whether it is a success or not. If I'm wrong on that one, feel free to offer up a big "I told you so." Either way, stop acting like it's a matter of fact at this point simply because you find yourself dissatisfied and think the organizing committee hasn't done their job (more than that really.. you think they're a bunch of incompetent idiots who are squandering a great opportunity here)

I do not take pleasure in doing this but you asked for it

YOUR USE of loose

adjective, looser, loosest.

1. free or released from fastening or attachment:
a loose end.
2. free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered:
loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.
3. uncombined, as a chemical element.
4. not bound together:
to wear one's hair loose.

5. not put up in a package or other container:

loose mushrooms.
as opposed to MY USE of losing
(used with object), lost, losing.
1. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.
2. to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered:
I just lost a dime under this sofa.my example (to lose a bid)
3. to suffer the deprivation of to lose one's job; to lose one's life. my example (to lose a bid)

4. to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister.

5. to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure.

6. (of a clock or watch) to run slower by: The watch loses three minutes a day

Again, I will not hold this against you.....if you check YOU are the one who has made the SAME ERROR TWICE which according to your submission

"You spell a word wrong once, maybe it's a typo. Except you spelled it wrong twice. Thereby making it less likely to be a typo. But this is neither here nor there. Like you said, it's an invisibly small issue. Good for you though that you're still preaching the high and mighty linguistic competence bullcrap. But I disgress.."

I am sure.... POSITIVE...CERTAIN....CONFIDENT.....that this error on your part says nothing about your linguistic performance.

I retain, my graciously, my silence to remain absolutely right.

Now, that having been established, and my deliberate error at the very end of that matter to demonstrate no hard feelings, I can no longer converse with you because you JUST CANNOT SEE the astounding interconnectivity between the concepts. It makes no sense for me to mess with your eyes.

Throne

On May 25, the Pan Am flame was lit during a traditional ceremony hosted by the Mexican Olympic Committee at the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan, Mexico. #UnitedWayWePlay #WeArePanAm #HostCity2015 #EpicIsOn

Louroz

fuego-45-567x378.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANbnih05gQ&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

Was there a corresponding celebratory event at your City Hall?

This quote right here proves that you actually know very little about these multi-sport competitions. Why the hell would there be a corresponding celebratory event at City Hall?

I would ignore him ofan.

Throne has had a massive hate on for Toronto ever since I started posting on this forum from way back in 2001 when Toronto was bidding for the 2008 Olympic Games.

He is just peanut butter and jelly that Toronto is building its international multi-sport games hosting credentials in preparation for a successful future Olympic Bid.

Louroz

0o0o0o0o0o0.........I don't know.....to use the official flame lighting to stimulate expectancy to the mammoth pedestrian traffic of daytime Toronto?...to maximize promotion of the event to a relatively disinterested population of some seven million people via a DIRECT VIDEO LINK via the news? But I am not even going to comment on the ceremony itself. The Aztec reinterpretation was MAGNIFICENT...hands down. But from a torch that didn't seem to have been lit in the first place, to the costumed runner holding it backwards. Such a let down in that context. BUT....HEY.... its TORONTO.

and you are incorrect to suggest that I hate Toronto when it is virtually my number 1 place to visit. Seeing how this event is unfolding IN CERTAIN IMPORTANT CONTEXTS is like watching the Mona Lisa being Vandalised. Such a stunning city to not be complimented by exceptional event planning that's all.

and you are incorrect to suggest that I hate Toronto when it is virtually my number 1 place to visit. Seeing how this event is unfolding IN CERTAIN IMPORTANT CONTEXTS is like watching the Mona Lisa being Vandalised. Such a stunning city to not be complimented by exceptional event planning that's all.

"This event" does not formally begin until July. Therefore, this event has not begun to unfold, only the lead-up to said event. Do not conflate the 2 as if you know what the outcome of this future event will be.

Oh yea, and since you thought to take your time to call me out on this one, let's review..

You would think that AFTER loosing so many Olympic bids before, it would FINALLY seek to become a REAL gamechanger.

YOUR attitude ( which appears to be the general attitude of the Toronto organising people) has frankly- if I may add- caused very important people to accurately pinpoint WHY Toronto is so catastrophically sore at loosing international events to other cities.

So, tell me again which one of us was using the term "loosing" and which one of us used "losing." The beauty of this Internet thing, particularly this site, is that there is a record of what was said that, unless you are a premium member, cannot be edited. So you can have all the positivism, certainly, and confidence in the world. I have physical evidence to the contrary. I could have left this one alone, but you chose to not only bring it back to light, but to completely falsify your claims which are easily disproven. So thank you for that low-hanging fruit.

I'm not sure how hosting the Pan-American Games helps build Canada's ability to host the Olympics, since Canada has already hosted the summer games before. Not to mention hosting the winter games twice.

Whether this event has huge attendance and opulent decorations or not has no bearing on whether the IOC would trust Canada with a future Olympics in Toronto.

Doesn't anyone doubt Toronto's ability to host? I don't think that's something they need to prove.

When people think of Toronto, works like "capable" and "competent" come to find. That might highlight a different problem Toronto has, but they don't need to prove to anyone they can host the games.

• Like 1

I assume many think Toronto should host the 2015 Pan American Games first, because Toronto has never hosted the Olympics before. I don't think Toronto will bid for 2024, even if they talk about bidding before the deadline.

Doesn't anyone doubt Toronto's ability to host? I don't think that's something they need to prove.

When people think of Toronto, works like "capable" and "competent" come to find. That might highlight a different problem Toronto has, but they don't need to prove to anyone they can host the games.

Indeed.

"New York run by the Swiss"

People know Canada can organise ahd host well, it's narrative and timing that need to be considered.

Oh yea, and since you thought to take your time to call me out on this one, let's review..

So, tell me again which one of us was using the term "loosing" and which one of us used "losing." The beauty of this Internet thing, particularly this site, is that there is a record of what was said that, unless you are a premium member, cannot be edited. So you can have all the positivism, certainly, and confidence in the world. I have physical evidence to the contrary. I could have left this one alone, but you chose to not only bring it back to light, but to completely falsify your claims which are easily disproven. So thank you for that low-hanging fruit.

Which is why I had emphasized that YOUR error wasn't an issue but you insisted that you would make it one......Would someone, somewhere, hurry and give this person a medal or a serving of cold tuna as a reward? PLEASE? :blink:

Clearly, people have missed the IN CERTAIN CONTEXTS part. There is no doubt that Canada is capable. But for your collective information, please be reminded that the world of event planning has evolved by EPOCHS since 1976, 1988, and I dare say since 2010. THAT is the primary context. YOU ARE NOT KEEPING UP WITH TRENDS BUT EXPECT OLD IDEAS TO WORK. simple. easy. perfect.