Toronto 2015

Apple

The second week of Wimbledon is actually a good time for a tournament like this, because a lot of players lose in the first week and end up looking for a lower level tournament they can join on the spur of the moment. (For men that's something like a Challenger tournament.) If PASO could convince the ATP and WTA to let the tennis tournament offer 200 points (the Olympics is 750 points and Wimbledon is 2,000 points) then a fair number of decent tennis players who lose in the first round of Wimbledon would actually play.

I don't think getting more top athletes to participate would really be all that difficult. The problem is motivation. The ATP and WTA play ball with the IOC because they want something from them: media exposure for their sport. The tennis and golf tours could pretty easily accommodate PASO, but they have no desire to do so.

Similarly the NBA does not have a scheduling conflict with the Pan Ams, but the NBA owners worry about their players getting injured (like when Paul George broke his leg practicing with team USA this season) during international tournaments. Choosing between the guy who signs your paycheck and a low profile tournament is an easy decision for most NBA players.

So it's a vicious cycle. If PASO had a higher profile they could probably convince better athletes to participate, but they can't get a higher profile without better athletes participating in their tournament.

The second week of Wimbledon is actually a good time for a tournament like this, because a lot of players lose in the first week and end up looking for a lower level tournament they can join on the spur of the moment. (For men that's something like a Challenger tournament.) If PASO could convince the ATP and WTA to let the tennis tournament offer 200 points (the Olympics is 750 points and Wimbledon is 2,000 points) then a fair number of decent tennis players who lose in the first round of Wimbledon would actually play.

That's not going to work. You can't ask players to make a spur of the moment deicision like that, let alone the headaches it causes for the organizers of the Pan Ams that they woun't know the field until a few days before the tournament. Besides, you don't want to bank on players losing early at Wimbledon. I agree that maybe some ATP/WTA incentive would be great, but it can't come at the expense of qualifying for and competing in grand slam tournament.

Maybe. Should make for an interesting games though. Will Canada's A-team be enough to edge out the US, or even Cuba??? The last time they hosted in Winnipeg 1999 they could do neither. Although they did edge out Cuba for the 2nd most medal wins, the rankings put them in 3rd because they won less golds than Cuba. I think with modern technology though you can see the games from anywhere in the world through the internet, so I wouldn't be surprised some A-team athletes come out and participate in the games this time around.

Canada will be well ahead of Cuba. I predict that Brazil and Canada will be the two nations battling for second behind the USA.

They'll get a decent amount of top athletes, but unfortunately, how many prominent Candian athletes will be there?

Andrew Wiggins got mentioned upthread. That would be a good get if he's on the basketball team. Would add to the profile if Milos Raonic was in the tennis tournament, but that seems unlikely. What about someone like Damian Warner, will he be there?

I know a lot of lesser-known sports (and that's not meant to degrade their importance, simply that their athletes are less visible in North America than others) will have their top competitors there. But to the point earlier of the Pan Ams being considered a premiere competition here, it hurts matters when the big name athletes aren't in attendance. And again, I know that's different in Canada and the United States than it is elsewhere, but it does speak to the issue of holding the event and generating interest in these 2 countries.

Damian Warner will probably be there. If I'm not mistaken Ashton Eaton will be there, as his wife is on the Canadian team.

That's not going to work. You can't ask players to make a spur of the moment deicision like that, let alone the headaches it causes for the organizers of the Pan Ams that they woun't know the field until a few days before the tournament.

It works for other tennis tournaments all over the world. What the tournament does is to schedule "wild cards" where they can take in players who drop out of other tournaments. Other players can conditionally commit to the tournament.

There's one going on right now in the second week of the Indian Wells.tournament that has attracted several top 50 players.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=594793

There's no reason the ATP and WTA couldn't cooperate with the Pan American Games if they wanted to. As well as the European Games, Asian Games, etc.

Edited by Nacre

It works for other tennis tournaments all over the world. What the tournament does is to schedule "wild cards" where they can take in players who drop out of other tournaments. Other players can conditionally commit to the tournament.

There's one going on right now in the second week of the Indian Wells.tournament that has attracted several top 50 players.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=594793

There's no reason the ATP and WTA couldn't cooperate with the Pan American Games if they wanted to. As well as the European Games, Asian Games, etc.

The ITF cooperated with the Pan Ams by moving the Davis Cup. Archery, Fencing and Aquatics governing bodies did as well.

They'll get a decent amount of top athletes, but unfortunately, how many prominent Candian athletes will be there?

Andrew Wiggins got mentioned upthread. That would be a good get if he's on the basketball team. Would add to the profile if Milos Raonic was in the tennis tournament, but that seems unlikely. What about someone like Damian Warner, will he be there?

I know a lot of lesser-known sports (and that's not meant to degrade their importance, simply that their athletes are less visible in North America than others) will have their top competitors there. But to the point earlier of the Pan Ams being considered a premiere competition here, it hurts matters when the big name athletes aren't in attendance. And again, I know that's different in Canada and the United States than it is elsewhere, but it does speak to the issue of holding the event and generating interest in these 2 countries.

The top team in every sport is expected. For athletics the top two athletes at the Canadian trials in each event will compete (and these are the same trials for the World Championships). For a country that won just one gold in athletics in Guadalajara, a total of 5-12 is not out of reach here.

Rowing and swimming will also have A teams (when historically it has been a developmental team sent).

American cities generally show very little interest in multi-sports events outside of the Olympics. Or the FINA Worlds or IAAF Worlds for that matter. There simply isn't a market interested in hosting them. And in the case of the Pan Ams, not much interest in television coverage either.

Unfortunately for the Pan Ams, NBC isn't the rights holder. ESPN is. And it would be cool for them to have the Women's World Cup that they could use in conjunction with this, but that belongs to Fox this time around. NBC is busy with the Tour de France most of July, so that takes up a lot of programming time on NBCSN. Remains to be seen how much attention ESPN will give it. My guess still is not much.

I don't think having the Women's WC would have helped ESPN. They would be operations on two separate ends of the country, as ESPN would have set up shop in Vancouver, as Fox is doing, where the final is. ESPN has plenty of platforms leading up to the Pan Ams like Wimbledon, MLB and College World Series to promote the Pan Ams if they really wanted to.

But qualifiers in some events, such as diving will not be known until April.

Yup, the number's NOC's submit will be estimated for some sports. So the total number TO2015 will receive will be higher than the quota limit currently set at 6,135 athletes.

This way TO2015 can start preparing where each country will stay in the village, how many assistants they will need etc.

I have been offered a position as Assistant Venue Press Operations Manager with TO2015 for the Games!

Sorry, only reading this now...Congratulations, that's great!!

• Like 1

ESPN and ESPN 2 will present over 80 hours on tv, while ESPN Deportes will show over 200.

That's certainly an improvement over 2011. ESPN Deportes only had 125 hours of coverage then. Not sure what ESPN2 had, but if memory serves, it wasn't much. Definitely says something about the Pan Am Games (not necessarily Toronto in particular) that the Spanish language network in the U.S. has 2 1/2 times as much coverage as the English language network. And it's not like ESPN's schedule is particularly packed in July like it would be in October when the last Pan Ams were held.