Toronto 2015

Apple

The venues are in line with what we have seen at recent Pan American Games (perhaps with the exception of Rio 2007). Indianapolis, Winnipeg, and Guadalajara have all used modest sized athletics stadiums. These venues are designed for an intimate spectator experience (as opposed to sitting six rows from the top of the Georgia Dome watching basketball in 1996). If architectural eye candy is your thing, the Pan Am Games will just continue to disappoint you.

Isn't this really for the best, though? If Montreal had the option of going back in time and stopping the construction of their athletics stadium they certainly would. It's better for Toronto to aim too low than too high with new construction.

What I find disappointing is not building small venues, but rather building venues out in the suburbs that can't be upgraded for the Olympics. IE the velodrome is in Milton instead of Toronto and has room for only 2,500 seating even with temporary bleachers, so it won't be useable for a future Olympic bid. Put that venue in Toronto and add extra space inside the structure for more temporary bleachers and it would be Olympic-worthy, with no need for additional permanent seating.

The venues are in line with what we have seen at recent Pan American Games (perhaps with the exception of Rio 2007). Indianapolis, Winnipeg, and Guadalajara have all used modest sized athletics stadiums. These venues are designed for an intimate spectator experience (as opposed to sitting six rows from the top of the Georgia Dome watching basketball in 1996). If architectural eye candy is your thing, the Pan Am Games will just continue to disappoint you.

Yes but none of those cities (with the exception of Rio) have had their eye on hosting the Summer Olympics. Toronto has tried and failed on numerous occasions, indicating that they will for sure continue to bid for it again. Why not start now on building the stadiums that will be suitable for an Olympic games that can easily be converted to add more seating?

Isn't this really for the best, though? If Montreal had the option of going back in time and stopping the construction of their athletics stadium they certainly would. It's better for Toronto to aim too low than too high with new construction.

What I find disappointing is not building small venues, but rather building venues out in the suburbs that can't be upgraded for the Olympics. IE the velodrome is in Milton instead of Toronto and has room for only 2,500 seating even with temporary bleachers, so it won't be useable for a future Olympic bid. Put that venue in Toronto and add extra space inside the structure for more temporary bleachers and it would be Olympic-worthy, with no need for additional permanent seating.

Venue the plan was drawn up the velodrome was originally supposed to be in Hamilton. However since the city rejected it the velodrome had to be moved. The City of Toronto at the time did not have great finances either and was faced with a bill double the original estimate. So there was no realistic opportunity for the city to build the velodrome.

Though on an interesting note, TO2015 did consider at one point, putting a temporary velodrome on the Portlands if no city came forward in offering to host the facility.

The reason the venue plan is the way it is, is because the provincial and federal government would only support a Toronto bid if the Games were geographically spread across the GGHMA.

BMO Field, Hershey Centre, Ricoh Coliseum, Rexall Centre, Rogers Centre, Direct Energy Centre, Maple Leaf Gardens, Varsity Stadium, Midlands, Caledon Equestrian Park and the venues for mountain biking would all be used in some capacity for a Toronto Olympic Games.

Well, then, let's see. How many people on this board, if you had been an Olympic Inspector visiting Toronto in its bid to host the Olympics, would seriously consider Toronto if these facilities were shown as the potential venues? Please indicate on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 = No chance and 10 = The Undeniable Frontrunner.

Well, then, let's see. How many people on this board, if you had been an Olympic Inspector visiting Toronto in its bid to host the Olympics, would seriously consider Toronto if these facilities were shown as the potential venues? Please indicate on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 = No chance and 10 = The Undeniable Frontrunner.

The reason the venue plan is the way it is, is because the provincial and federal government would only support a Toronto bid if the Games were geographically spread across the GGHMA.

BMO Field, Hershey Centre, Ricoh Coliseum, Rexall Centre, Rogers Centre, Direct Energy Centre, Maple Leaf Gardens, Varsity Stadium, Midlands, Caledon Equestrian Park and the venues for mountain biking would all be used in some capacity for a Toronto Olympic Games.

The rowing and or canoe flatwater venue would probably make that list as well. Let's also remember the Air Canada Centre, and the FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, which are not being used in the Pan American Games. Really all they would need to do is build a new stadium (as I posted back a ways, the Blue Jays will probably be looking for a new stadium in the next 20 years), aquatic center and velodrome (both could be temporary structures) perhaps all in an Olympic park setting with the new village nearby.

The rowing and or canoe flatwater venue would probably make that list as well. Let's also remember the Air Canada Centre, and the FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, which are not being used in the Pan American Games. Really all they would need to do is build a new stadium (as I posted back a ways, the Blue Jays will probably be looking for a new stadium in the next 20 years), aquatic center and velodrome (both could be temporary structures) perhaps all in an Olympic park setting with the new village nearby.

Maybe, but the rowing/canoeing flatwater venue was proposed for Toronto's Portlands (right off the athlete's village).

3, but that's generous. Even if Agenda2020 aims at making more conservative bids, those venue seating capacities are chump change compared to what the IOC demands. An Olympic games in Toronto will certainly sell out, especially with its proximity to the US. And as nice as it would be to have a games that won't be as crowded by those limited seating numbers, it's just not an Olympics without it's huge mass of crowds.

You guys are idiots. Look at the venues I listed and compare to venues used for London or going to be used for Rio. All of them can be configured or are already in configurations that meet or exceed IOC standards for various sports and are inline with recent and future hosts. These won't be the basketball or the volleyball finals, but they are good enough and in the same vein as venues that have hosted handball, rugby, fencing, wrestling, taekwondo, weightlifting, modern pentathlon, boxing etc. Toronto would still need some major venues, but so did Rio after they hosted 2007. It is not like Rio was cut and past.

You guys are idiots. Look at the venues I listed and compare to venues used for London or going to be used for Rio. All of them can be configured or are already in configurations that meet or exceed IOC standards for various sports and are inline with recent and future hosts. These won't be the basketball or the volleyball finals, but they are good enough and in the same vein as venues that have hosted handball, rugby, fencing, wrestling, taekwondo, weightlifting, modern pentathlon, boxing etc. Toronto would still need some major venues, but so did Rio after they hosted 2007. It is not like Rio was cut and past.

But not a single new build from the PanAms would be used for an Olympic bid. Maybe the aquatic centre for water polo but that's a stretch.

Edited by ofan

Going for Pan Am Ticket Gold

TORONTO, Jan. 29, 2015 /CNW/ - Some of the most in-demand tickets for the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games are going fast, while tickets to key events such as the Opening Ceremony have already been snapped up.

Other high-demand events include the men's football (soccer) gold-medal game and medal rounds for aquatics, track cycling, BMX, canoe/kayak – slalom, beach volleyball and equestrian – jumping, where few tickets remain available.

"Tickets to see those memorable medal moments are selling quickly," said Saäd Rafi, chief executive officer of theTORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games Organizing Committee (TO2015). "The Games are a once-in-a-generation chance to see our most elite summer Games athletes compete on home soil and to be part of the high-energy crowd who will be cheering them on and singing our anthem together."

Already, almost 275,000 tickets to the Pan Am Games have been picked up by sports fans who are eager to get in on this summer's action.

"The numbers are beyond our expectations — especially since we haven't yet announced when Team Canada will be playing, not to mention the countless athletes from across the Americas who are still in the process of qualifying for the Games," Rafi said. "That said, it was no surprise that the available tickets to our Opening Ceremony, produced by Cirque de Soleil, went fast. It's sure to be an unforgettable night."

Venues will be packed for the men's baseball and basketball gold-medal matches, where few tickets remain available. Other hot tickets include:

• Athletics track and field 100-metre finals (AT006) and 4 x 100-metre finals (AT012)
  • Rugby sevens tournament finals (RU004)
  • Closing Ceremony with talent provided by Live Nation (ZC001)
  • Beach (BV027) and indoor volleyball (VO022) finals

Hummmm...but maybe (what would I know) first impressions of facilities DO count. Can we conclude that Guadalajara surpassed Toronto in the sporting infrastructural plan in the context of the Pan Ams? The answer, I'm afraid, is quite startling and leans more towards "yes" than "no".

Hummmm...but maybe (what would I know) first impressions of facilities DO count. Can we conclude that Guadalajara surpassed Toronto in the sporting infrastructural plan in the context of the Pan Ams? The answer, I'm afraid, is quite startling and leans more towards "yes" than "no".

I disagree. Guadalajara's venues were much smaller and built with hardly any solid designs.

Can you produce visual evidence of the Guadalajara facilities compared with the proposed facilities Toronto is offering? I do think that would be nice.

I can provide links to venues and their estimated stadium capacity. Here are the ones for guadalajara:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_2011_Pan_American_Games

And here are the ones for Toronto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_2015_Pan_American_and_Parapan_American_Games

The athletics (T&F) venue for the Guadalajara games has a capacity listed at only 8,000, but that is its permanent capacity. The seating was increased to 15,000 for the Pan American games.

I don't think Guadalajara's venues were better than Toronto's. But Guadalajara doesn't intend to make a future bid for the Olympics. That's the issue.

Do permit me, Latin TXC, to offer you my sincere gratitude in so quickly supplying some pictorial evidence of the facilities utilised in Guadalajara. And from what I have seen, it appears, rather undeniably, that Guadalajara's sporting facilities were of quite an impressive standard. Note that this praise is conferred outside the context of capacity. The facilities were stunning. Now, let us, in all fairness, scrutinize what Toronto 2015 is offering. Would anyone be so kind as to post some photos of Toronto's facilities as they appear now? Of course, I do anticipate that they will exceed Guadalajara's but we just need evidence.

Do permit me, Latin TXC, to offer you my sincere gratitude in so quickly supplying some pictorial evidence of the facilities utilised in Guadalajara. And from what I have seen, it appears, rather undeniably, that Guadalajara's sporting facilities were of quite an impressive standard. Note that this praise is conferred outside the context of capacity. The facilities were stunning. Now, let us, in all fairness, scrutinize what Toronto 2015 is offering. Would anyone be so kind as to post some photos of Toronto's facilities as they appear now? Of course, I do anticipate that they will exceed Guadalajara's but we just need evidence.

Ok stop, you sound like a total douche.

I don't think Guadalajara's venues were better than Toronto's. But Guadalajara doesn't intend to make a future bid for the Olympics. That's the issue.

I don't think that was ever the point of Toronto's bid. In my mind the Pan Ams were just an ego play by politicians, and to showcase that Toronto can host such an event. it's not like a lack of Olympic caliber venues from the Pan Ams will harm an Olympic bid. It may have helped Rio, but its not really going to make a difference for Toronto.