Toronto 2015

Apple

Where was the shooting venue originally supposed to be?

The bid book has the Ajax Community Centre for pistol and rifle events. It was deemed the ceillng is too short to host the events. Trap and skeet were scheduled for the Oshawa Skeet and Gun Club. I am presuming it was canned because they wanted to cluster all shooting events in one location (Toronto International Trap and Skeet Club) which is one hour north of the city. A new rifle and pistol shooting range will be built for all distances and will remain as a legacy after the games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will The Roger's Centre receive a Renovation at all? And also, during the Games, will the Roof be open?

It won't. Though the stage might require a bit of construction work. The roof I think will be open, otherwise there is no where to put the cauldron. However, PASO regulations state the cauldron be at the athletics stadium, so they might close the roof, light it in centre stage (like Vancouver) then transport the cauldron (after the ceremony) to the athletics stadium. I wonder though where in the athletics stadium they would put the cauldron. There is hardly any space.

Aquatics Centre

dFSnNm1.jpg

Here is some updates to the village:

CeCy0VV.jpg

o5XXrQn.jpg

g4ZKbJY.jpg

All pictures are sourced from the official website.

• Like 1

If the Cauldron's supposed to be at the athletics stadium, maybe the roof will be closed for the night, only to open where say someone with a jetpack takes the flame (lit in cauldron inside the Skydome) and then propels him/her/self to the cauldron at the athletics venue.

Just a thought.

It won't. Though the stage might require a bit of construction work. The roof I think will be open, otherwise there is no where to put the cauldron. However, PASO regulations state the cauldron be at the athletics stadium, so they might close the roof, light it in centre stage (like Vancouver) then transport the cauldron (after the ceremony) to the athletics stadium. I wonder though where in the athletics stadium they would put the cauldron. There is hardly any space.

Aquatics Centre

dFSnNm1.jpg

Here is some updates to the village:

CeCy0VV.jpg

o5XXrQn.jpg

g4ZKbJY.jpg

All pictures are sourced from the official website.

So how would it work out with Cauldron Lighting? If the Cauldron will be at the Athletics Stadium and The Opening and Closing Ceremonies at Roger's Centre, then how will we see the Cauldron Lighting at The Opening Ceremony? Also I recon that the Cauldron might be on top of the part roof?

If the Cauldron's supposed to be at the athletics stadium, maybe the roof will be closed for the night, only to open where say someone with a jetpack takes the flame (lit in cauldron inside the Skydome) and then propels him/her/self to the cauldron at the athletics venue.

Just a thought.

The roof takes about 25 minutes to open.

Have a look at Rio 2007 the cauldron was not at the Athletes Stadium nor in Guadalajara 2011 too I have a felling that the cauldron will be on the CN Tower at the Toronto 2015 Games right next to Rogers centre.

Have a look at Rio 2007 the cauldron was not at the Athletes Stadium nor in Guadalajara 2011 too I have a felling that the cauldron will be on the CN Tower at the Toronto 2015 Games right next to Rogers centre.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's what Doha done during the Asian Games 2006, they put the Cauldron on top of the Aspire Tower.

"If the Opening Ceremony is held elsewhere than in the Athletics stadium, another flame cauldron shall be placed in the Athletics stadium and, on the night of the Opening Ceremony, the Pan American flame shall be transferred to it, without any special protocol, to be returned, if necessary, to the place of the Closing Ceremony for formal extinction."

Source

Patrick Roberge Productions (worked on the Vancouver ceremonies)

BaAm Productions (Who did the Toronto handover ceremonies in 2011)

Five Currents (who did the Guadalajara ceremonies)

These three are the shortlist for producing the Closing Ceremony and the Parapan ceremonies.

The roof takes about 25 minutes to open.

Well then have it open during the parade of nations.

You give say 1 or 1 and a half hours for an indoor presentation, which comprises of ceiling based projections or what Vancouver did and then you open it up. Once opened you have the rest of the ceremony display and fireworks, in which some time after the cauldron is revealed from a hiding spot (or is lit on the ground and mechanically raised to the roof).

You then do the reverse for the Closing Ceremony. You keep the roof open with cauldron alight. Then you extinguish it at some point, give out a huge fireworks display then when the roof is closing, finish off whatever narrative Toronto is offering.

Sort of like the opening of a book and then the closing of it.

Do the major athletes like Phelps etc compete at the Pan American Games? By the way, I'm not sure because I'm English, so we don't contribute to the Pan American Games. I saw a bit of it in 2011 and I will watch the Toronto 2015 Games.

Do the major athletes like Phelps etc compete at the Pan American Games? By the way, I'm not sure because I'm English, so we don't contribute to the Pan American Games. I saw a bit of it in 2011 and I will watch the Toronto 2015 Games.

No they don't. However TO2015 successfully lobbied FINA to move the World Championships a week later so the best can compete.

No they don't. However TO2015 successfully lobbied FINA to move the World Championships a week later so the best can compete.

Oh ok, Thanks. It's good to see every continent getting there own continental Games. Europe = European Games. North and South America = Pan American Games. Asia = Asian Games. Africa = All-African Games. I don't think Oceania has a games though.

Oceania has the Pacific Games for the tiny island nations. No ANZ involved.

So Australia and New Zealand are the only Sporting Countries not to compete in a Continental Games. With all respects to the Pacific Islands, if Australia and New Zealand did compete, it would be dominated by them. It was the same when Australia was in the Oceania section of Football before 2006, either Australia or New Zealand qualified for the World Cup or won the OFC Nations Cup. Then Australia moved to the Asian Section to face tougher competition. Tahiti won the 2012 OFC Nations Cup, but to be fair, that won't happen again, unless New Zealand follow Australia to the Asian Section, then maybe Tahiti, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Samoa and American Samoa would have a chance. When New Zealand won the 2008 OFC Nations Cup, they qualified for the 2009 Fifa Confederations Cup, at least New Zealand were a bit tougher than Tahiti was in the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup. Tahiti lost 6-1 to Nigeria, 10-0 to Spain and 8-0 to Uruguay. So yeah, back to my point, I understand why Australia and New Zealand don't compete, because they would dominate.

So Australia and New Zealand are the only Sporting Countries not to compete in a Continental Games. With all respects to the Pacific Islands, if Australia and New Zealand did compete, it would be dominated by them. It was the same when Australia was in the Oceania section of Football before 2006, either Australia or New Zealand qualified for the World Cup or won the OFC Nations Cup. Then Australia moved to the Asian Section to face tougher competition. Tahiti won the 2012 OFC Nations Cup, but to be fair, that won't happen again, unless New Zealand follow Australia to the Asian Section, then maybe Tahiti, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Samoa and American Samoa would have a chance. When New Zealand won the 2008 OFC Nations Cup, they qualified for the 2009 Fifa Confederations Cup, at least New Zealand were a bit tougher than Tahiti was in the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup. Tahiti lost 6-1 to Nigeria, 10-0 to Spain and 8-0 to Uruguay. So yeah, back to my point, I understand why Australia and New Zealand don't compete, because they would dominate.

They do have the Commonwealth Games. So every country except a couple I think (Morocco doesn't compete in the All Africa Games iirc and there might be another) has a secondary event to look forward to.

They do have the Commonwealth Games. So every country except a couple I think (Morocco doesn't compete in the All Africa Games iirc and there might be another) has a secondary event to look forward to.

Why doesn't Morocco compete? They are in Africa. Also, sorry to go off topic but can you un-ignore me please Intoronto, I need to PM you. Thanks.

Why doesn't Morocco compete? They are in Africa. Also, sorry to go off topic but can you un-ignore me please Intoronto, I need to PM you. Thanks.

And can you empty your mailbox please?

Morocco was banned from ANOCA from the 1987 games forward following political turmoil in the territory known as Western Sahara, just south of that country. Morocco, however, does compete regularly at the Pan Arab Games, having hosted them twice, and at the Mediterranean Games, which happened there once in 1993.

(in that case, it's 'forward' or 'onwards'?)