Toronto 2015

Apple

intoronto, I see your a constant frequenter of this thread and big Toronto supporter, I was wondering what's your favourite part so far about TO2015? Mine has to be the athlete's village and overall re-development of the West Donlands which has been left vacant and ignored since the 1970's. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the construction and rebirth of this land into a beautiful community.

intoronto, I see your a constant frequenter of this thread and big Toronto supporter, I was wondering what's your favourite part so far about TO2015? Mine has to be the athlete's village and overall re-development of the West Donlands which has been left vacant and ignored since the 1970's. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the construction and rebirth of this land into a beautiful community.

That and the fact Toronto is finally getting some venues. Its sad Toronto has two broken 50 m pools. That will change.

Besides the aquatic facility Toronto is getting a field hockey center and a track stadium at York University,

Interesting. Perhaps I'm jumping a bit ahead here, but could the revised plans for the Pan Ams perhaps serve as a blueprint for a future Olympics bid?

I don't think that would be winnable. A Toronto bid needs to propose all sports minus tennis and football preliminaries for the downtown core and surrounding area.

Yup, there would still be a lot of big builds for a Toronto 2024 bid. A good amount of sporting venues would need to be built such as an Athletics Stadium, another new Aquatics Centre, Velodrome, and a bunch of temporary venues in the main Olympic Zone. It doesn't sound like much but the first three are huge and costly builds. Am I missing any other major venue builds besides the obvious upgrades to existing facilities?

I wouldn't fully say a Pan Ams would be a blueprint for an Olympics as the venue layout would be way different for a 2024 Olympic bid. Once again, it would most likely focus on the Toronto Waterfront. However, the kind of show and sporting atmosphere Toronto delivers plus the experience hosting this big event (biggest multi-sporting event ever held in Canada) would greatly help the city in its future Olympic endeavors.

The Pan Am Games have sped up some infrastructure development, most notably the Air Rail Link for downtown Toronto's Union Station up to Pearson International Airport in Mississauga, ON; an outter suburb of the GTA, plus we got the Eglinton Crosstown 25km LRT line under construction, the subway expansion of the Spadina line under construction, renovations of Union station and adding that second platform etc. Basically there are a lot of transportation projects that are slated to be completed by 2015-2020. By that time there should be others in the works and or under construction. Hopefully the rumoured Downtown Relief Subway line, and also the Sheppard line expansion get the green light. I'd say the Sheppard expansion looks more probable. All the current infrastructure upgrades will definitely bolster a Toronto 2024 bid.

Dave, where is your signature photo taken from? I tried sending you a PM, inbox is full.

lol...I'm not sure where its taken from within the city but I thought it looked fantastic at first glance. I got this pic from a Toronto run website that made a rendering of the Toronto skyline from the West end of the city looking East. With the crazy amount of construction and skyscraper developments going up throughout the city, its unbelievable how fast Toronto is changing and growing up. :)

lol...I'm not sure where its taken from within the city but I thought it looked fantastic at first glance. I got this pic from a Toronto run website that made a rendering of the Toronto skyline from the West end of the city looking East. With the crazy amount of construction and skyscraper developments going up throughout the city, its unbelievable how fast Toronto is changing and growing up. :)

Now that I think about it, that field/hill in the foreground looks like Winston Churchill Park by Spadina/St. Clair, an old tennis spot of mine. This photo looks like it was taken from an apartment building somewhere high up. Too bad... I asked you where the spot was because I wanted to check it out for myself. I agree, with the amount of construction lately, this is not the Toronto I grew up in. B)

Good thing that a velodrome will be a permanent venue for the Toronto area. I am seriously not sure, if Canada even has such a venue in operation right now.

Apparently this is the first one in Eastern North America. However I know of on in London which is in use which offered to be the venue in case a municipality was not found.

Hamilton invited to make pitch for Pan Am baseball field

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/680389--hamilton-invited-to-make-pitch-for-pan-am-baseball-field

If Hamilton wants it, this city could host the baseball and softball competitions during the 2015 Pan Am Games.

A letter sent to the mayor’ office yesterday from the Pan Am committee says the sport could be ours if we can provide appropriate places to hold the competition. This would require upgrading some existing facilities and maybe even building some new ones.

But the reception to the idea was cool at best.

Based on the way some councilors – still smarting from the endless and painful stadium and velodrome sagas – blanched at the idea when it was mentioned at city hall this morning, this would have to be seen as an extreme longshot right now.

“I think you can hear the expressions of not doubt, but concern, that we may be going down an expensive path,” Mayor Bob Bratina said. “Nobody is going to, I don’t think, approve any large expenditure. But we don’t know what the site requirements are or what our participation would involve. So all we need is to find that out.”

The discussion began in response to a March 1 letter from Murray Noble of the Pan Am committee inviting the city to consider putting together a facility that would include a baseball stadium with 8,000-10,000 seats, a secondary facility with 1,500, a main softball stadium that could hold as many as 6,000 and a secondary field with a capacity of 1,000.

The total price tag cited could be as high as $13 million with the city responsible for 44 per cent, or $5.72 million.

However, some already asked if Bernie Arbour Stadium, Turner Field and the diamonds behind Morgan Firestone Arena in Ancaster could be used with temporary seating, keeping costs to a minimum.

The letter says a binding agreement with the city must be signed by July 31 if it’s interested.

“It could be so far out of the park that it’s not even worth talking about,” Bratina said. “All I can say is if there’s an opportunity for someone else to have us upgrade the facilities we have, and if there’s a possibility of getting a premier attraction – Pan Am baseball – then it’s worth considering.”

Others sounded disinclined to open the door even a crack.

“I think our community has had it,” said Councillor Tom Jackson. “Please tread very carefully on this baseball-softball opportunity.”

The issue will be introduced for formal discussion at council on Tuesday.

Canada won the last Pan Am Games baseball gold medal, beating the U.S 2-1 in Guadalajara. Canada took silver in softball, losing 11-1 to the States in the final.

Very interesting to note they haven't finalized the venue plan and its 2012! I wonder what happened to the Richmond Hill and Oshawa sites. This also means the biggest sports venue in Ontario will not be used for a sporting event during the 2015 Games! Maybe organizers just wanted to use it for the Ceremonies.

The concern must be that Toronto are making an absolute Horlicks of this and whether it might affect any future Olympic bid.

On the negative it doesn't look too good, but I guess it could be argued that all the kinks in organising a major multi-site event were ironed out during 2015, and that a future bid would go like clockwork

• Like 1

The concern must be that Toronto are making an absolute Horlicks of this and whether it might affect any future Olympic bid.

On the negative it doesn't look too good, but I guess it could be argued that all the kinks in organising a major multi-site event were ironed out during 2015, and that a future bid would go like clockwork

Exactly, some venues aren't even decided yet! :blink: