Toronto 2015

Apple

*This is just a rumor*

But Cricket is rumored to be added to the 2015 Pan Am Games. Best thing is the venue is literally a 2 minute walk from my condominium!

Cricket? that will be intresting a hole new thing for us (Latins) B) . Which national teams have a good hockey level in America?

Cricket, really? That would be a first for the Pan American Games, should PASO agree to the idea. I would think that field hockey would be a natural choice anyway, since the Pan Ams are a qualifying event for the Olympics to that sport.

Cricket, really? That would be a first for the Pan American Games, should PASO agree to the idea. I would think that field hockey would be a natural choice anyway, since the Pan Ams are a qualifying event for the Olympics to that sport.

Field hockey is on the program.

From what I have read women's baseball, roller hockey, cricket, futsal are the finalists for the event that will replace Basque pelota. Women's baseball if anything will be an event added, so that leaves room for one of the later three (roller hockey highlights were used in the handover ceremony so who knows).

• 2 weeks later...

They have never competed I am pretty sure. However there is a strong grassroots leagues all across Canada.

:o well, then mabye Canada wants to boost the sport by including it in their program of TO 2015... Cuz as a fact soccer isnt popular there... BTW do you now if the Women's FIFA WC in 2015 will have games in Toronto?

:o well, then mabye Canada wants to boost the sport by including it in their program of TO 2015... Cuz as a fact soccer isnt popular there... BTW do you now if the Women's FIFA WC in 2015 will have games in Toronto?

Not sure about that. The host usually includes a sport where they have a good chance on winning medals.

Beg to differ, in fact Canada has more kids playing soccer then even hockey! So technically soccer is the most playable sport. In terms of attendance Toronto FC is a success along with the Whitecaps, the Montreal Impact had 55,000 ppl attend a Champions league. In 2007 the most successful u20 world cup ever was held in Canada.

No Toronto will not stage matches in either the 2015 WWC or 2015 Womens u20 world cup. Moncton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Halifax, Montreal and Ottawa are battling it out for 6 of the venues.

Not sure about that. The host usually includes a sport where they have a good chance on winning medals.

Beg to differ, in fact Canada has more kids playing soccer then even hockey! So technically soccer is the most playable sport. In terms of attendance Toronto FC is a success along with the Whitecaps, the Montreal Impact had 55,000 ppl attend a Champions league. In 2007 the most successful u20 world cup ever was held in Canada.

No Toronto will not stage matches in either the 2015 WWC

or 2015 Womens u20 world cup. Moncton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Halifax, Montreal and Ottawa are battling it out for 6 of the venues.

Ooo so the final its likelly to be hosted in Vancouver.... Soccer the might be seen as a future sport for the country if its getting good acceptance with the fans then is all about seing if they can qualify to Barzil 2014 or Russia 2018.... ;) you're right soccer its the most easy sport to play...

Silent funder might inflate velodrome hopes

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/645715--silent-funder-might-inflate-velodrome-hopes

A major funding boost is putting Hamilton back in the race for the Pan Am velodrome, say cycling supporters.

The Spectator has learned a private corporation is willing to make a major financial commitment to the indoor cycling oval. While officials remain tight-lipped and have yet to make a public announcement, sources suggest the funding injection would be large enough to breathe new life into Hamilton’s campaign to land the world-class cycling facility.

“All I can say is it would be a sizeable help if it comes through,” said Gord Singleton, a former cycling world champion who joined the local velodrome fundraising campaign in the fall.

Singleton said he’s been told not to discuss the source or amount of the mystery money, but Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina said in a radio interview Friday an “interested prospective partner” has surfaced and “several million dollars is being talked about.”

“We’re not out of the game yet in regards to the velodrome,” he said in the interview.

That was news to Milton Councillor Mike Cluett.

Pan Am officials appeared to rule out Hamilton as a velodrome site earlier this month when they announced Milton as the preferred host pending the signing of a funding agreement by Jan. 24.

“Milton will have to decline (the velodrome) before Hamilton would ever be considered,” said Cluett via email. “Mayor Bratina now realizes that with all (council’s) dithering around they lost the opportunity … Hamilton had many opportunities but didn’t get the job done.”

The Spectator couldn’t reach a Pan Am official Tuesday to comment on whether a beefed-up Hamilton bid would be considered.

Hamilton started out as the preferred velodrome location but lost that status in October after Pan Am officials rejected the city’s $5-million offer towards a facility that could cost $45 million.

Milton plans to commit even less taxpayer cash to the facility, but has announced close to $9 million in private pledges from firms and foundations headed by Mattamy Homes president Peter Gilgan.

Singleton said he thought the secret funding boost under discussion locally could “swing the momentum back” to Hamilton, noting the Milton bid and funding sources aren’t finalized.

News of the funding boost had yet to widely circulate at City Hall Tuesday. Several councillors said they were unaware the extra funding had been secured, while others said they weren’t pleased to learn of the project’s resurrection.

“I believe this unaffordable velodrome is an unfortunate expense and cost to the residents of Hamilton,” said Councillor Sam Merulla. “Milton is geographically close enough for Hamilton residents to access without having to spend $5 million.”

The Spectator couldn’t reach Bratina Tuesday for additional information about the mystery funding. His chief of staff, Peggy Chapman, said the mayor wouldn’t be available for an interview until January.

Mark Chamberlain, the chair of the fundraising cabinet, didn’t respond to requests for an interview Tuesday. Vocal campaign cabinet member Andrew Iler wouldn’t confirm or deny the donation report, but said the group hasn’t given up on winning the velodrome and continues to chase donations big and small.

The fundraising cabinet, which includes several high-profile cyclists such as Singleton, Curt Harnett and Clara Hughes, announced earlier this month it had raised more than $1 million through smaller donations.

Interesting read:

Article

I do agree with such things as putting more sports in one building, but I don't agree that the swimming venue will be a white elephant. It is being built at a university campus after all.

I would also not support both events being held at the same time.

The track stadium should be built, because York needs it! (I go there :lol: after all)

1) Maybe the velodrome should be temporary.

2) I would also suggest holding baseball at the Richmond Hill green (after all Guadalajara 2011 needed only one venue not two). Then making the Rogers Centre as the medal ceremonies area (like Vancouver). This would save money from building a celebrations plaza.

So now the athletes village is pegged at $2.6 billion? Have there ever been a time when a brand new athletes village has been built for the Pan Am Games before?

Scrap it and have the athletes reside in the empty student dormitory during the Summer. Or scale down the athletes village, could probably save a billion.

The athletes village must account for about half of the 2015 Pan Am Games expense.

• Like 1

So now the athletes village is pegged at $2.6 billion? Have there ever been a time when a brand new athletes village has been built for the Pan Am Games before?

Scrap it and have the athletes reside in the empty student dormitory during the Summer. Or scale down the athletes village, could probably save a billion.

The athletes village must account for about half of the 2015 Pan Am Games expense.

Guadalajara has a purpose built village.

I believe the village was built way out in the outskirts of Guadalajara. Shouldn't be difficult to find accommodations for the athletes in a more urban setting of Toronto.

Either way $2.6 billion of public money is a ridiculous sum of money for a single housing project, kill it or scale it down. Use the money as it was intended for, building sporting venues that Canada, especially Ontario, clearly needs. There isn't a single international sized Velodrome in Canada and it looks like it could turn into a temporary venue.

I believe the village was built way out in the outskirts of Guadalajara. Shouldn't be difficult to find accommodations for the athletes in a more urban setting of Toronto.

Either way $2.6 billion of public money is a ridiculous sum of money for a single housing project, kill it or scale it down. Use the money as it was intended for, building sporting venues that Canada, especially Ontario, clearly needs. There isn't a single international sized Velodrome in Canada and it looks like it could turn into a temporary venue.

Absolutely agree. Surprising taxpayers by going over budget like this is what's going to put Torontonians off a future Olympic Games.