Toronto 2015

Apple

Toronto/Hamilton Pan Am pitch an emotional hit

November 06, 2009

By JOHN KERNAGHAN

Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/667961

GUADALAJARA -- Toronto 2015 capped a fast-paced pitch for the Pan Am Games Friday with a tug at hearts through a fictional look at the life of four athletes from age six to competing in Canada in six years.

"I cry every time I see it," said bid chair David Peterson.

"I cry when I think about it," added Chris Rudge, CEO of the Canadian Olympic Committee.

Share the Dream was a carefully crafted look at kids from around the Pan Am world realizing their dreams in Toronto.

The brainchild of bid creative director Barry Avrich even had some local and international media clapping hard in appreciation.

The Canadian presentation, which followed Bogota and Lima, opened with the stirring Your Moment is Here video by The Canadian Tenors, and used the passionate bookends to bracket a message of athlete-centred Games that would be technically superior.

"It's funny how relaxed we were before we went in," said Peterson, an old political warhorse. "That's what happens when you're well-prepared."

Former Hamilton Spectator publisher Jagoda Pike outlined a section on facilities which

showed the stadium and velodrome planned for Hamilton.

She followed segments by Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, Toronto Mayor David Miller and Secretary of State for Sport Gary Lunn.

Bogota's presentation was slower-paced after starting fast with upbeat national music and a video spot by singer Shakira. It's team promises 'perfect' Games.

So did Lima, which repeated several times that Peru has not had the Games. It featured several long speeches.

Both Bogota and Lima enjoyed the support of their country's presidents in the attempt to woo delegates.

*sigh* I had the hope that a south american city would host the games, but i guess that all the problems happening here on the region (mainly because of our whacko inmature politicians :angry: ) scared P.A.S.O in the end.

Congratulations to Toronto, you were the best bid from the very beggining c: . I'm sure you will make a Pan Am Games of the same level (or much better) than Rio 2007. I hope these games and the WOG build the bridge for Canada to reach a SOG (like the 2007 pan am games helped Rio on getting the 2016 ones).

nice!!!

Congratulations to Toronto!! Totally deserved Games after an amazing bid ;)

So I guess 2019 will be a new battle between South American cities... Lima, Bogotá... and I hope Santiago after the South American Games 2014 and Copa América 2015 :D

Sure, 2019 will be the south american war for the PanAms... But we can also have a surprise coming from Central-Caribbean zone... Don't forget, they miss 2015 (informally their spot)...

See you in Toronto. No doubts, it will be the best PanAms ever.

Sure, 2019 will be the south american war for the PanAms... But we can also have a surprise coming from Central-Caribbean zone... Don't forget, they miss 2015 (informally their spot)...

See you in Toronto. No doubts, it will be the best PanAms ever.

They will take the tittle of "best ever" from Rio de Janeiro... :(

Well, we take that tittle from Winnipeg. :P