Tokyo 2016

Mikel

Tokyo, as expected, declared itself a candidate in the race with Fukuoka to be the Japanese hope for the 2016 Summer Games.  The city's vice-governor, Yokichi Yokoyama, submitted the formal declaration, with the city's proposal for the event, to the Japan Olympic Committee, on Friday - four days after Fukuoka also threw its hat into the ring to host the games.  Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara said the proposal offered a mix of new and existing facilities in a relatively compact area, and expressed his confidence that the plan was "outstanding".  He also stated: "We expect to beat out the other candidate cities both at home and around the world."

The winner will be announced in August.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tokyo's initial plans certainly sound impressive - an 80,000 seat stadium would be built on ground already owned by the government on the waterfront, to be surrounded on three sides by the sea and nearby the Olympic Village will also be built on the waterfront in Ariake, an area of new development that also includes a tennis complex known as the Wimbledon of Japan.  Sounds amazing.

"Our plan is different enough to make the Games better than ever," Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara says.

Found this....

Compared with the five cities that competed to host the 2012 Olympic Games, Fukuoka's plan is similar to those of Madrid and Paris. Madrid prepared three venues for athletic facilities, while Paris offered two venues, connected by an expressway with the athletes' village located between the venues.  The Tokyo plan resembles arrangements made for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, which mainly used existing facilities in the Russian capital.

The IOC also emphasizes the importance of the infrastructure and other potential of the cities to be chosen as Olympic host to lead the event successfully.  During an Olympic Games, many vehicles are needed to ferry athletes and their baggage. In this respect, Fukuoka, where traffic congestion is rare, has an advantage over Tokyo. It takes only 20 minutes by expressway from the athletes' village to the athletic facilities located along Hakata Bay.  On the other hand, Tokyo, which offers facilities scattered throughout the city, plans to use one of the lanes on the Shuto Expressway exclusively for Olympic transport, but observers point out that transport for the Games may become complicated.

As for accommodation, Tokyo would arrange 106,000 rooms in the area surrounding the city center, while Fukuoka offers 28,000 rooms within 10 kilometers from the main venue. Also, Fukuoka will prepare 18,500 more rooms on board a large passenger ship.  Tokyo, which has expertise in protecting foreign dignitaries thanks to its past experience of summit meetings, boasts of its potential to offer sufficient security.

As for finance, the general account's initial budget for fiscal 2006 of Fukuoka and Tokyo is 678.3 billion yen and 6.1 trillion yen, respectively.  Tokyo also plans to set up a fund and accumulate about 100 billion yen per year.  Of the 97 billion yen it plans to shoulder, the Fukuoka government will reserve about 30 billion yen over the next decade and issue bonds for the rest of the cost.

Full Article.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20060430TDY03005.htm

Working heavily against Tokyo would be transport. Although the municipality probably has the best transport network in the world, on a typical working day in Tokyo the highways are slow, the roads back up, taxi’s are difficult to get and Central Tokyo station is a death trap and very easy to get lost in.

Major expansion of the subway, maybe even entire knew highways (possibly underground) would need to be built simply just to unclog Tokyo’s network, let alone have it ready for the Games. None the less, the current system is very efficient.

Plus they have Tokyo Disney!

Tokyo - the overcrowded, overpriced ex-fascist capital of a country that's never apologized for its war crimes.  Deny them 2016!!

:angry:

New York - the overcrowded, cheap currently fascist financial capital of the world that's never apologised for its war crimes.  Deny them 2016!!

(only joking:  :unclesam: )

Tokyo - the overcrowded, overpriced ex-fascist capital of a country that's never apologized for its war crimes.  Deny them 2016!!

New York - the overcrowded, cheap currently fascist financial capital of the world that's never apologised for its war crimes.  Deny them 2016!!

(only joking:  :unclesam: )

:laugh:  :unclesam:  :blues:

Working heavily against Tokyo would be transport.

That's what they sais about London. The city's transport system was predicted to lose them the 2012 bid, it was described as being "London's archilles heel,"  and that in contrast Paris has a very efficient and excellent transport system.

Then look what happened.......

If Japan puts forward Fukuoka instead of Tokyo, it will be an insult to the IOC, just like Leipzig was an insult (considering that all the other countries put up their No.1 city for 2012).

Fukuoka would be like inviting someone to a party where there's lots of expensive wines and caviar on the table. But then they're told they aren't allowed to eat it, and that there's a separate table full of ham sandwiches for them. The caviar is for special guests only.

Similarly, by putting forward Fukuoka the japanese would be offering the IOC cheap, low-quality ham sandwiches, instead of caviar - Tokyo.

If Japan puts forward Fukuoka instead of Tokyo, it will be an insult to the IOC, just like Leipzig was an insult (considering that all the other countries put up their No.1 city for 2012).

It looks as if the USOC will join this list - I really think that the Japanese should take advantage of the absence of the US's premier city and choose Tokyo instead of a city that many people would not even heard of.

Perhaps Tokyo have already successfully passed their first obstacle without needing to do anything - New York is now it seems out of the picture.  What the Japanese capital needs to do now is provide the IOC with a phenomenal bid, defeat relatively unknown Fukuoka and hope that 2014 goes to one of the European cities.  If this happens Tokyo will be exceptionally difficult to defeat.

Come on Salzburg and Sochi!!!

Tokyo very well may win this thing if chosen by the JOC....

Nope.  Not if Pyong Chang wins next year.  Funny, how disheartened you are by one change of the wind, SOW.

PC of course would hurt Tokyo....but I think 2014 will be heading to Europe anyway...and yea I am only speaking the truth...no NYC means the chances of superb wrodl class cities like Tokyo soar

It looks as if the USOC will join this list - I really think that the Japanese should take advantage of the absence of the US's premier city and choose Tokyo instead of a city that many people would not even heard of.

Perhaps Tokyo have already successfully passed their first obstacle without needing to do anything - New York is now it seems out of the picture.  What the Japanese capital needs to do now is provide the IOC with a phenomenal bid, defeat relatively unknown Fukuoka and hope that 2014 goes to one of the European cities.  If this happens Tokyo will be exceptionally difficult to defeat.

Come on Salzburg and Sochi!!!

I quite agree.

Without New York,America's chances for 2016 are much weakened (in fact it's still far from certain that there will be ANY bid from the US at all)! This contest is opening up in all kinds of interesting ways!

I am sure the JOC are observing these developments very carefully and unless Fukuoka comes up with a truly phenomenal bid come August,they must be calculating that with one A-league world class city not now joining the race,their best and most obvious chance for getting 2016 will be to go with their own A-league,world class,former Olympic capital city!

Nope.  Not if Pyong Chang wins next year.  Funny, how disheartened you are by one change of the wind, SOW.

PC of course would hurt Tokyo....but I think 2014 will be heading to Europe anyway...and yea I am only speaking the truth...no NYC means the chances of superb wrodl class cities like Tokyo soar

U have a fool-proof crystal ball?  WHere can I get that?

I disagree re 2014.  PC almost stole it 3 years ago.  History shows a close runner-up like that -- and indeed it is their continent's turn again anyway -- inevitably succeeds the next time around.  

Remember in 1980 or 81, Seoul badly trounced Nagoya's bid.  So I don't see how you can say that 2014 is headed Europe's way.  You are so negative.  Stay away from me until you return to your senses.

Munich beat out Madrid

Barcelona beat out Paris

Atlanta beat out Athens

And as much as people would like to think otherwise, the process is not that much different now as it was back then.

Additionally, having another Asian games only 8 years after Bejing is highly unlikely.  Remember how everyone was screaming on here that NYC 2012 was only 16 years after Atlanta?

Additionally, having another Asian games only 8 years after Bejing is highly unlikely.  Remember how everyone was screaming on here that NYC 2012 was only 16 years after Atlanta?

Is this example of the US's geography standards again? ???

Asia is a continent - a continent that comprises over half the world's population, the United States is a single country.  Japan and China are completely different cultures - Greece and the UK have more in common than China and Japan.

Japan and China are completely different cultures - Greece and the UK have more in common than China and Japan.

yeah, yeah...that's what they say.  Only if you can read their characters...otherwise Mme Butterfly is Turandot is Cho-cho-san.  Stop being nitpicky, Stu.  "Memoirs of a Geisha" used Chinese actresses.  Same thing.

U have a fool-proof crystal ball?  WHere can I get that?

I disagree re 2014.  PC almost stole it 3 years ago.  History shows a close runner-up like that -- and indeed it is their continent's turn again anyway -- inevitably succeeds the next time around.  

Remember in 1980 or 81, Seoul badly trounced Nagoya's bid.  So I don't see how you can say that 2014 is headed Europe's way.  You are so negative.  Stay away from me until you return to your senses.

I didn't say it was definitie....but it is likely that 2014 may very well go to Europe (especially Salzburg)...PC's 2010 success seemed to be a fluke (and very susupicious) and may in fact have been a one time thing (we all know it happened due to setting Europe up for 2012)...I think Europe stands an excellent chance at getting 2014, and it isn't as cut and dry that PC will get it, ultimately making Tokyo a prime location for 2016 if they are chosen by the JOC...either that or Cape Town, Rio, or Toronto would also make great candidates

Munich beat out Madrid

Barcelona beat out Paris

Atlanta beat out Athens

But don't forget- in the 1960's when the bidding for 1972 was going on, Spain was not a democracy it was a dictatorship under Franco, it was like Cuba is today. This may have put off some people voting Madrid, and going for West Germany instead- a democracy and ally of the West.

Barcelona was home to IOC president and france had been awarded the winter games before the 1992 summer vote took place.

Also, the much criticised Atlanta 1996 games have damaged the chances of another 2nd  tier American city like Houston or philadelphia beating a world capital like Tokyo (Chicago and SF are 1st tier American cities).

London is only 8 years after Athens 2004, so Tokyo 2016, only 8 years after Beijing is acceptable to the world. Also, Japan haven't hosted a summer games since 1964, USA last hosted in 1996. Even a winter games have been held less recently in Japan compard to America.

Archived