Short Olympic Trivia Quiz

OK, time for another short Olympic trivia quiz...

1. Which Games had the last Ceremonial fly-by?

2. Which Games featured the youngest (final) cauldron-lighter?

3. Which Games (Olympic or otherwise) first used a river parade as a lead-up to its Opening Ceremony?

4. When was the Atlanta logo first unveiled in Barcelona?

Additional 5th question: which Winter Games had the first cauldron?

Will reveal/confirm correct answers when I feel all the smart-alecks and know-it-alls have put in their guesses... :)

OK, time for another short Olympic trivia quiz...

1. Which Games had the last Ceremonial fly-by?

2. Which Games featured the youngest (final) cauldron-lighter?

3. Which Games (Olympic or otherwise) first used a river parade as a lead-up to its Opening Ceremony?

4. When was the Atlanta logo first unveiled in Barcelona?

Will reveal/confirm correct answers when I feel all the smart-alecks and know-it-alls have put in their guesses... :)

I believe #3 was Seoul?

The correct answers:

1. Which Games had the last Ceremonial fly-by? Sydney 2000...at Closing when the jet flew by to take the flame back to Greece..

2. Which Games featured the youngest (final) cauldron-lighter? Correct, Faster. Albertville.

3. Which Games (Olympic or otherwise) first used a river parade as a lead-up to its Opening Ceremony? Correct, OlympicGames. Seoul.

4. When was the Atlanta logo first unveiled in Barcelona? At the Opening, when I wore my Atlanta '96 logo T-shirt!! :D

5. Which Winter Games had the first cauldron? Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936. (Almost as ugly as Atlanta's.)

• 2 weeks later...
OK, another one. Which Games had 2 lightings of the Cauldron? One at the OC, and another one at its Closing?

It must be one of those Winter Games where the closing ceremony wasn't held at the OC venue, but at an indoor venue with a small alternate cauldron. I don't know, maybe Lake Placid 1980?

OK, another one. Which Games had 2 lightings of the Cauldron? One at the OC, and another one at its Closing?

Good one....

Should be Summer Games before 1936 or Winter before 1964....

I will say : Los Angeles 1932

It must be one of those Winter Games where the closing ceremony wasn't held at the OC venue, but at an indoor venue with a small alternate cauldron.

EXCELLENT deduction, Fabian.

It was Grenoble 1968. There are 2 accredited cauldron-lighters: Alain Calmat (a figure skater) for the Opening; and Claude Robin for the Closing. Unlike Innsbruck 1964 (which I think had the first indoor Closing C); Grenoble did not 'cheat' by just having another cauldron already lit in the CC stadium. Instead it had this Claude Robin, a wrestler I believe, the best local athlete it could muster from Grenoble, come in at the start of the CC and light a new cauldron. (There is a photo of him in the Grenoble Official Report doing just that.)

However, it still begs the question: what about the original flame at the Opening -- and then to have the Closing flame lit and then extinguished at the end, seemed kinda silly. I mean, there seemed to be no continuity.

So, the answer is Grenoble 1968, and probably the only time in history it was done.

Mem, Los Angeles 1932 did NOT use an athlete to light the Torch there. They just lit it mechanically. Berlin 1936 was the first one to have an athlete come in, light it; and then just douse it at Closing.

Archived