The Biggest Story of the 2012 Race?

We're in the home stretch folks...and with the result closer and closer perhaps we can already look back on the 2012 bid contest and pick the biggest crisis/headline/story that has defined the process. For example, in the 2004 race there were the bombings in Stockholm just before the announcement of Athens. For the 2000 race there was the early leaking of the then secret technical report that bagged Beijing and commended Sydney.

So what's defined the 2012 bid election so far for you....

Probably the London incentive offer.

Everyone seemed to jump onto it, using it as an excuse to bash London, when in actual fact if anyone was to blame it was the IOC and their lack of communication about rules of the bidding process.

I think its a tie between the NYC Stadium mess and the BBC Panorama programme which saw the suspension of the Bulgarian IOC member....something not on the list.

If NYC drops out then that will eclipse all other stories and have a profound effect on the 2012 bid.

I think its a tie between the NYC Stadium mess and the BBC Panorama programme which saw the suspension of the Bulgarian IOC member....something not on the list.

If NYC drops out then that will eclipse all other stories and have a profound effect on the 2012 bid.

I would have picked the same two.

Mea culpa folks...I agree that the Slavkov affair has been a big story of this bid process, and if I could edit the poll choices I would include it. I must admit though from all the way down under this was happening during the build up to Athens 2004 and in some way got overshadowed by other Olympic news. Plus vote buying has been such a constant in recent bids, you almost expect a story like Slavkov's

And of course, unlike some of these stories, Slavkov's alleged corruption is yet to get a full hearing... :rock:

I think the biggest issue was the lack of "new" cities. It sort of showed that the IOC is not ready to go forward, they still want the same old same old. They could have shown some faith by letting Istanbul or Rio through. Oh well.

PS: I think the stadium one is only wining because it happened recently.

So far, I would rank the biggest stories as such:

1 - NYC loses stadium deal

2 - London soars to top of the pack*

3 - Terrorist attack in Madrid during IOC inspections

*London's bid did not start off well, but the British capital has but together an excellent bid in a very short time without the benefit of a previous race like Paris (2008) and NYC (USOC nod).

NYC stadium by far. Even more a big surprise from USA, a country that like olympic games and pay well audiovisual rights to see it ( Bloomberg was right by saying "we dropped america" ) . And even even more a big surprise from NYC, where the money is king, and can pay all...

Maybe, after the 9/11, new-yorkers understood that their families and such things were more important that to promote NYC worldwide, only to show that the city was not damaged or to make it more, touristically, vibrant. The low support of new-yorkers for their city is maybe THE BIGGEST STORY... it can mark another vision of the world that americans can have. New-yorkers, if this is true, will continue to feel alone compared to other states, except few.

NYC stadium by far. Even more a big surprise from USA, a country that like olympic games and pay well audiovisual rights to see it ( Bloomberg was right by saying "we dropped america" ) . And even even more a big surprise from NYC, where the money is king, and can pay all...

Maybe, after the 9/11, new-yorkers understood that their families and such things were more important that to promote NYC worldwide, only to show that the city was not damaged or to make it more, touristically, vibrant. The low support of new-yorkers for their city is maybe THE BIGGEST STORY... it can mark another vision of the world that americans can have. New-yorkers, if this is true, will continue to feel alone compared to other states, except few.

Never mind that it has hosted the most number of Olympic Games so far and is trying to get more.

Archived