Artists You'd Like To See Performing During 2010 !

YellowVest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barenaked Ladies would be a shoe in - and Avril. Both have performed at earlier Olympics (SLC and Torino respectively) and I am hoping Fefe Dobson (yay!) gets a look in as well.

I find it also hard to believe Sarah McLachlan, Tragically Hip (or have they split?), Nelly Furtado, Sum 41, Shania Twain and Nickleback wont be playing at the victory ceremonies... Celine as well perhaps?

Wouldn't mind seeing a Sarah Maclachlan performance of silence in maybe the closing ceremony, obviously, one of the remix versions - the Tiesto one in particular.

Including an eckie in the closing ceremony spectator packs and let the fun begin I say. haha.

I'm hoping that they go for good/popular artists first, and Canadian content second. If you can get a U2 or a Coldplay, you use them, you don't say "thanks but no thanks" in favour of Cancon.

I believe they want to attract people to these events and make them fun for the athletes, so while Nelly Furtado's a yes... Anne Murray? Pass.

Delerium, Barenaked Ladies, Nelly Furtado, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan, Bryan Adams, 54-40, David Usher. And I'm not suggesting it but they'll probably throw in Celine Dion.

Forgot to add to this list Shania Twain.

I'm hoping that they go for good/popular artists first, and Canadian content second. If you can get a U2 or a Coldplay, you use them, you don't say "thanks but no thanks" in favour of Cancon.

I believe they want to attract people to these events and make them fun for the athletes, so while Nelly Furtado's a yes... Anne Murray? Pass.

Anne Murray is one of the greatest singers this country ever produced, if by some chance Measha doesn't do the national anthem, it should be her.

It should be Canadian artist first and foremost, we have such an incredible array of talent and amazing music scenes in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, London, Winnipeg and Vancouver that to overlook these artists just because they aren't big names or haven't made it internationally is absurd. This is about showing off Canada and how can you show off Canada with American, Irish or British musicians?

Edited by Faster

Anne Murray is one of the greatest singers this country ever produced, if by some chance Measha doesn't do the national anthem, it should be her.

It should be Canadian artist first and foremost, we have such an incredible array of talent and amazing music scenes in Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, London, Winnipeg and Vancouver that to overlook these artists just because they aren't big names or haven't made it internationally is absurd. This is about showing off Canada and how can you show off Canada with American, Irish or British musicians?

No previous games has had artists exclusive to the host country. There's always been a mix of domestic and international artists.

I'm not denying Anne Murray's talent, but I'm questioning if she's an appropriate choice. We want to fill BC Place every night, and Anne Murray won't do that.

Use Canadian artists wherever possible, but having a Canadian artist who can't draw at least arena-sized crowd in lieu of a top act who can is ridiculous. Hell, even a lot of the Canadian artists who can draw those crowds I, frankly, wouldn't want performing at the Games (Nickleback, for example).

And let's remember that kids and young adults are one of the demographics that Olympic organizers continually try to appeal to. Anne Murray does not jive with that.

No previous games has had artists exclusive to the host country. There's always been a mix of domestic and international artists.

I'm not denying Anne Murray's talent, but I'm questioning if she's an appropriate choice. We want to fill BC Place every night, and Anne Murray won't do that.

Use Canadian artists wherever possible, but having a Canadian artist who can't draw at least arena-sized crowd in lieu of a top act who can is ridiculous. Hell, even a lot of the Canadian artists who can draw those crowds I, frankly, wouldn't want performing at the Games (Nickleback, for example).

And let's remember that kids and young adults are one of the demographics that Olympic organizers continually try to appeal to. Anne Murray does not jive with that.

I was speaking about ceremonies as well, and Anne Murray is a legitimate candidate for the national anthem.

You also forget that tickets are sold before the artists are known to the general public. And if I remember correctly in Torino there was very few high profile artists at the victory ceremony but the plaza was still packed.

I completely disagree. This is an opportunity to shine a global light on Canadian talent. Acts like U2 and Coldplay are big enough and don't need the exposure. People in this country moan that we don't have enough culture, that we're nothing more than a hodge podge of leftovers from the British Isles and the USA, but when given the chance to explore and share Canadian culture, you'd give it away to the Irish and the Brits and Americans?

With a live cross to Ricky selling weed to the snowboarders outside BC Place! :lol::huh:

Seriously - the biggest Canadian artists internationally right now are Nickleback (huge everywhere), Michael Buble (and Van is his hometown) and Nelly Furtado.

Could we see a theme song duet between Michael and Nelly??

BNL are a shoe in - they've played at the victory ceremonies in SLC and really are one of Canada's best live acts and are well known internationally.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

Considering that most of the tickets will be going on sale in a few weeks long before the concert events and acts are announced, I don't think the focus is selling out on the basis of a world famous act. The performances are secondary to the big show, which is the celebration of the Olympics in Vancouver. While I don't think Anne Murray will be there--more because it is not her style of show--I equally doubt that the likes of Madonna or U2 will be going either. Vanoc won't be able to pay them what they would be able to get out of their own concert series and I don't think they'll do it because they are such massive fans of Vancouver, Canada, or the Winter Olympics.

I completely disagree. This is an opportunity to shine a global light on Canadian talent. Acts like U2 and Coldplay are big enough and don't need the exposure. People in this country moan that we don't have enough culture, that we're nothing more than a hodge podge of leftovers from the British Isles and the USA, but when given the chance to explore and share Canadian culture, you'd give it away to the Irish and the Brits and Americans?

ARGH, again, I'm not saying do JUST popular acts, just don't put crappy artists, or artists inappropriate to the tone of the event up there just because they're Canadian.

Nickelback is internationally known AND Canadian. But they also suck major balls, and aren't exactly a great fit for the Olympics. Go for Canadian artists first, by all means, but once we've recruited your Feists and your Nelly Furtados, and why not, the Arcade Fire, don't put Kalan Porter or July Black up there because they're Canadian. I want GOOD artists above all else.

And I'm not saying the idea is to sell out based on the act itself. But Tom Cochrane is not putting asses in seats, nor providing a performance of any artistic merit. Should he deserve a shot because he's a moderately popular Canadian artist?

This is about Canada, our games, our identity and having British or American acts is not very reflectively of VANOC's positions. Also you have to realize that in overly politically-correct society their will be Quebecois, Maritime and Aboriginal performers that few people have heard of.

And as most Ken pointed out, 1) people are buying tickets before the acts are known and 2) people are there to see Olympic medals being presented first and foremost.

This is about Canada, our games, our identity and having British or American acts is not very reflectively of VANOC's positions. Also you have to realize that in overly politically-correct society their will be Quebecois, Maritime and Aboriginal performers that few people have heard of.

And as most Ken pointed out, 1) people are buying tickets before the acts are known and 2) people are there to see Olympic medals being presented first and foremost.

People also have the option of not going once they know who the act is.

Again, you're not getting what I'm saying. I don't necessarily want popular artists, I just don't want bad ones. I'm all for giving exposure to artists that no one's ever heard of if their work is strong.

But if it comes down to having to choose between Stompin' Tom Connors and Coldplay, you go with Coldplay.