With Glowing Hearts

mr.x

Canadians to welcome the world’s best winter athletes in 2010 “With Glowing Hearts”

Vancouver, BC — Three powerful words known to all Canadians will be forever linked with Olympic and Paralympic athletic achievement, with the 2010 Winter Games and with Canada. With Glowing Hearts was announced today as the motto for the 2010 Winter Games by the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC).

“With Glowing Hearts is connected and familiar to all Canadians through our anthem ‘O Canada’ and it also embodies what it takes to be an Olympic or Paralympic athlete,” said John Furlong, VANOC Chief Executive Officer. “It embodies the emotions every athlete will feel — no matter where they are from or what flag they stand under — when they have the honour to represent their own country on the world’s grandest international stage in 2010.”

“With Glowing Hearts captures in a few simple, time-honoured words what it means to be Canadian, the deep pride we have in our country and who we are. It’s our hope that Canadians will see themselves in these words. They reflect our personality, our values as a country and our rich history,” continued Furlong.

Des plus brillants exploits was also revealed today as the French motto for the 2010 Winter Games. While the French and English mottos are different, they are drawn from the same inspiration. “Des plus brillants exploits references the pinnacle of achievement and the extraordinary feats of human endeavour that will occur, both for the athletes and for everyone involved in staging the 2010 Winter Games,” said Furlong.

“What better metaphor for the incredible achievements of the world’s best athletes than the heart itself?” Furlong continued. “And perhaps most importantly, the mottos describe the pride that results from outstanding achievement, be it an athlete’s performance of a lifetime or the valuable contribution of a dedicated volunteer. There’s a champion in everybody and the mottos invite everyone to step up to their own podium and give their very best through the once-in-a-lifetime experience of the 2010 Winter Games.”

The motto was launched today with the participation of several noted Canadian Olympic and Paralympic medal-winning athletes, including Daniel Wesley (Paralympic alpine skiing), Duff Gibson (skeleton), Carol Huynh (wrestling) and Denny Morrison (speed skating). Joining via video message was Nathalie Lambert (short track speed skating and Canada’s chef de mission for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games).

“I think With Glowing Hearts works no matter where you are coming from. It’s about being proud and working hard,” said Nathalie Lambert, a four-time Olympic medallist. “It’s about commitment, passion and dedication, and everybody has that when they make it to the Games. I think everyone will be inspired by that motto.”

"Finding the perfect motto for the Olympic Games is one of the great challenges Organizing Committees face," said Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). "It may be the last inspirational words an athlete reads on the field of play before their performance of a lifetime, or the first celebratory words they see when stepping onto the medal podium. It should both welcome visitors from around the world and motivate an army of volunteers. With Glowing Hearts is an inspired motto choice and we commend VANOC on selecting a motto that delivers on all of these counts and invites the world to share in these time-honoured words from Canada's national anthem."

“The 2010 Winter Games motto will evoke the emotion and pride that everyone feels when performing at their best,” said Sir Philip Craven, MBE, President of the International Paralympic Committee (IPC). “The motto captures the warm and welcoming spirit of the Host Nation and it promises to the world that the extraordinary achievements of all athletes will be honoured and celebrated. The motto also continues the spirit of the Paralympic values: courage, determination, inspiration and equality.”

With Glowing Hearts today becomes an integral element of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games communications platform. It will be integrated into pre-Games and Games-time materials and activities, and will be a key component of the 2010 Winter Games graphic identity that will be seen throughout the host region and at sport venues in 2010.

VANOC does not have and has no desire to own the phrases With Glowing Hearts and Des plus brillants exploits and VANOC’s use of the motto in no way changes how these words can be used by Canadians or how Canadians enjoy the national anthem as a whole or the specific phrases. VANOC has taken steps to protect its use of the motto, in both English and French, by registering the marks under trademark legislation but would only review the use of the motto if a business began using them to create a specific, unauthorized commercial association with the 2010 Winter Games.

With Glowing Hearts was selected in the fall of 2007 and was followed by focus testing in Vancouver, Toronto and Quebec City to ensure the concept, in both official languages, resonated with all Canadians. The VANOC Board of Directors and the IOC formally approved the motto in the spring and early September of this year respectively. A full creative campaign was then developed. With Glowing Hearts is being launched this fall with a national advertising campaign featuring television, internet and cinema spots as well as a print advertising campaign. The new thematic commercial that includes With Glowing Hearts is available immediately at www.vancouver2010.com. The site also includes a new desktop wallpaper for download featuring the new motto.

The shock is that they are taking something sacred like the national anthem and using it for marketing purposes. It would be like Atlanta using "home of the brave" or or Albertville using "la jour de gloire est arrivé". Or if London went "victorious, happy, and glorious".

On its own, it isn't a terrible slogan. But ripping it from the national anthem just shows a lot of arrogance and little originality.

Edited by Kendegra

Stupid slogan. Well, it's good in the anthem but stupid as a slogan. They should've come up with something more original. With everything being "Spirit" I thought maybe the word spirit was going to end up in the slogan. I just read the article on CTV and a bunch of the readers' comments, most of the comments are negative: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0925?hub=Canada

Last time I checked, my heart ain't glowing.

Vancouver Sun Online Poll

The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic took a piece of the Canadian national anthem - "With Glowing Hearts" - to use as its motto. Do you approve of the motto?

Yes - 54.62 %

No - 45.38 %

Not a very convincing result for a motto that is supposed to express the sentiments of the host city and nation. Yike.

Personally, I'm surprised that this is the best that VANOC could come up with. It smacks of a lack of creativity and originality. Beyond that, it's just plain uninspiring. What a let down. Sigh

Vancouver Sun Online Poll

The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic took a piece of the Canadian national anthem - "With Glowing Hearts" - to use as its motto. Do you approve of the motto?

Yes - 54.62 %

No - 45.38 %

I think mottoes started to appear in the 1980s. Some oldies I recall are...

Calgary 1988: Coming together in Calgary.

Seoul 1988: From Seoul to the World. The World to Seoul.

Barcelona 1992: Friends for Life.

I believe that Munich 1972 had "The Games of Joy" as their brand slogan.

Clearly, most are not all that memorable.

Oh...found this in an article on the "One World, One Dream" launch in Beijing:

Factbox: Slogans of previous summer Olympic Games

Following are the slogans of previous Olympic Games:

Seoul Summer Olympics in 1988 -- Harmony and Progress

Barcelona Summer Olympics in 1992 -- Friends Forever

Atlanta Summer Olympics in 1996 -- The Celebration of the Century

Sydney Summer Olympics in 2000 -- Share the Spirit

Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002 -- Light the Fire Within

Athens Summer Olympics in 2004 -- Welcome Home

I like it - it is simple and corny - but it will be tied in mainly at the ceremonies - which are cornfests anyhow.

I will say this though - my perception of the average Canadian has altered. My G-d you guys bitch and moan about everything! I know the poms are whining about the London branding too - but come on Canada! The Torino handover was cute but well staged, the logo is appropriate, the new branding is pretty slick and the motto and mascots are better than what we've had for a while. Stop your damn moaning and start looking forward to the Games.

Atlanta Summer Olympics in 1996 -- The Celebration of the Century

Really? I've never heard of "The Celebration of the Century" as Atlanta's slogan. Always thought it was "The Centennial Olympic Games." The former is better though.

And btw, Munich's was "The Happy Games". Part of presenting a new, optimistic Germany to the world in 1972.

I will say this though - my perception of the average Canadian has altered. My G-d you guys bitch and moan about everything!

Try living next door to them!

j/k btw ;)

You know, it's not bad. When I first read it I was like, o.k., how unoriginal. But now I am thinking it's got potential. B)

Altho, unfortunately, that damn national anthem is now stuck in my head.

Edited by LA84

^ wow, like having a mob with torches. If VANOC is smart, they should just ditch the whole copyright thing.

BTW, VANOC has a video for "With Glowing Hearts":

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/fun-zone/m...eo-gallery.html

the video's nice. saw Olympic champ Mark Tewksbury and NBA star Steve Nash in the video. neat.

the video's nice. saw Olympic champ Mark Tewksbury and NBA star Steve Nash in the video. neat.

It's funny, they put Trevor Linden in there, but not Wayne Gretzky? Saw a bunch of others in there like Cindy Klassen, Rick Hansen, Sarah McLachlan.