3 Way Bids..Success?

London 2012... and Sydney 2000... two of the largest parties to come within the period 2000-2015...Easily the largest bid competiton and Olympic thus far...

That then raises the question what the have in common..

Brisbane 1992

Melbourne 1996

Sydney 2000

Birmingham 1992

Manchester 2000

London 2012

Does a three way bid from different cities give the country an almost certain chance of hosting in the future?

Looking at both of them, the first is played as a bluff...The second being a strong, yet not certain contender with the trump card played last.

London 2012... and Sydney 2000... two of the largest parties to come within the period 2000-2015...Easily the largest bid competiton and Olympic thus far...

That then raises the question what the have in common..

Brisbane 1992

Melbourne 1996

Sydney 2000

Birmingham 1992

Manchester 2000

London 2012

Does a three way bid from different cities give the country an almost certain chance of hosting in the future?

Looking at both of them, the first is played as a bluff...The second being a strong, yet not certain contender with the trump card played last.

Not really...I think that the shift in Games Cities from markets looking to be big (Barcelona) to markets already big (London, Sydney, Beijing) has changed that.

Look at Japan throwing out Nagoya, and Osaka....they'd throw out Toyko tomorrow if they were running for 2016.

Major Cities will get their shot..Paris, New York, Toronto, Tokyo, Rome....they are just lining up right now.

Which is exactly why I'd keep NYC in the race for 2016...and avoid LA...which hosted in 1984 for say..oh...at least another generation.

• 5 months later...

mmm...that is very interesting...and i have noticed it before....

maybe cape town should go for 2016 and be sure winners in 2020 hhehe

cape town 2004

cape town 2016

cape town 2020

but it didnt seem to work for paris..shame

does anybody care that tokyo might walk away with 2016....well not walk away but beat the "american" city... i cant say id mind....although im all for a new york games...i dont see why it should go to the USA at all....if not new york...

2016 shortlist...realistically

the american city e.g. new york

and tokyo would make the last five purely on technical merit...rome as well...

so are the remaining spaces for rio and istanbul?

certainly madrid, rome and tokyo as well as NYC would make the shortlist if they bid....with one spot open to  rio??

but if moscow bids too the IOC would have to kick out moscow who they previously rated as better than rio....

madrid suprisingly got quite a few votes in the 2012 race...

i dunno

who is gonna win

make ur prediction

!!

madrid suprisingly got quite a few votes in the 2012 race...

Sorry, but if you don't remember Madrid finished 3rd (above NYC and Moscow) and wion the 2nd round with 32 votes. Paris, NYC and Moscow didn't win any round. London won the other rounds. :rolleyes:

u can't read..."quite a few" means a lot...again...all that needs to be said about you has been said by baron and co. i have no need to elaborate.

And what about your word "surprinsingly"? :suspect: Do you think Madrid can't get this votes? Of course our friends from Latin America voted us, countries of Africa voted us, the Russian IOC members voted us... In the 2nd round Madrid get double votes than NYC and that wasn't "surprinsingly"... The people abroad never counted with Madrid, they taughnt Madrid would be out in the 2nd round, they taught it wouldn't get many votes but what happened, the foreigners premonitions weren't fulfilled: why? BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T LIES... And that's all... :rolleyes:

The Madrid 2005 vote sent a message that the IOC is interested in having Spain host another SOG. And that Samaranch, while still alive, still wields some power.

I'd predict Spain or Germany will be the next European country to host a SOG.  And if Germany pulls off the World Cup without a hitch then they have the upper hand.

The Madrid 2005 vote sent a message that the IOC is interested in having Spain host another SOG. And that Samaranch, while still alive, still wields some power.

I'd predict Spain or Germany will be the next European country to host a SOG.  And if Germany pulls off the World Cup without a hitch then they have the upper hand.

I think the same. I predict a hard race between Berlin, Madrid and Rome in 2020. :)

New York, you had your chance and you blew it.

I'm more inclined now to see Chicago represent the U.S. in 2016 that is if the USOC even goes forth with a bid.  Based on Ueberroth's comments about wanting more support from the federal government, he can forget about that, not with the country facing a rising deficit and an increasingly unpopular war in Iraq.

I'm more inclined now to see Chicago represent the U.S. in 2016 that is if the USOC even goes forth with a bid.  Based on Ueberroth's comments about wanting more support from the federal government, he can forget about that, not with the country facing a rising deficit and an increasingly unpopular war in Iraq.

Funny.  Since when did you become an expert on U.S. gov't - Olympic affairs, Stryker?   :rolleyes:

Funny.  Since when did you become an expert on U.S. gov't - Olympic affairs, Stu?   :rolleyes:

Can't you read at leat the name of the post-writter? :suspect: Stu didn't write this post, if not stryker... :rolleyes:

No need to be an expert.  Look what happened during New York's bid.  The Bush administration never gave more than token support for the bid and that cost New York big time.  Uberroth is right to ask for more federal support.  Now, I realize that come time for the 2009 vote that a new U.S. president will be occupying D.C.  And Baron you make a good point in another post about Mitt Romney.  There's just one problem.  The U.S. is stuck with Bush until 2008.  A decision on a 2016 bid and whether or not the USOC can get guaranteed support on a federal level for that bid will have o be made prior to Bush's exit.  Check the papers.  The U.S. faces a mounting budget deficit and more money is needed each day for the Iraq venture and for cleaning up the Gulf Coast.  The Olympics are not going o be a priority.  Now if Bush all of a sudden does a complete 180 and says the federal government will play a greater role in any future Olympic bid then I'll be the first to eat crow.  Until then, count me as skeptic.

And yes, I agree with another post that says Bush is hurting any U.S. chance for 2016.

No need to be an expert.  Look what happened during New York's bid.  The Bush administration never gave more than token support for the bid and that cost New York big time.  Uberroth is right to ask for more federal support.  Now, I realize that come time for the 2009 vote that a new U.S. president will be occupying D.C.  And Baron you make a good point in another post about Mitt Romney.  There's just one problem.  The U.S. is stuck with Bush until 2008.  A decision on a 2016 bid and whether or not the USOC can get guaranteed support on a federal level for that bid will have o be made prior to Bush's exit.  Check the papers.  The U.S. faces a mounting budget deficit and more money is needed each day for the Iraq venture and for cleaning up the Gulf Coast.  The Olympics are not going o be a priority.  Now if Bush all of a sudden does a complete 180 and says the federal government will play a greater role in any future Olympic bid then I'll be the first to eat crow.  Until then, count me as skeptic.

And yes, I agree with another post that says Bush is hurting any U.S. chance for 2016.

Uhmmm...there was a White House liaison on the NYC2012 team.   Don't worry about the Iraq debt, etc.  If a tiny country like Greece can go into debt for the '04 Games, don't you think the US can handle another Summer Olympics?  Look at the latest NBC-TV figures for their sales of TV time for Torino - up from $740 mil for Salt Lake, to nearing $900 mil by the end of this year.  And these are for Games not in a US time zone.  I wouldn't worry about the finances.  That's chump change for a US-based Games.

What are you talking about?   It says "Stryker" right there in my original message.  You changed it, mikel.

You're who have changes it, imbécil :angry:

Oh, those wild and crazy Spaniards!   :rolleyes:

Temper, temper.  It's CHristmas-time, cabronito!!  :P

Cabronito doesn't exist, gilipollas! :laughlong:

What are you talking about?   It says "Stryker" right there in my original message.  You changed it, mikel.

Imbécile is a lot better !

Are you from Rouen?  I was there for a day in June - a beautiful city; I loved the cathedral and Saint-Maclou.

Archived