What a lame reason for Paris 2012

Here's a rather ridiculous reason that the Paris bid team are using to argue for the right to host the 2012 games:

Bid chief: Paris needs 2012 for morale

Associated Press

6/8/2005 12:46:20 PM

PARIS (AP) - The leader of Paris' bid for the 2012 Olympics says France needs the Games to boost morale after the country's recent rejection of the EU constitution.

"If Paris gets the Games, it will be a fantastic moment for France to imagine the future very positively, and we need that," Philippe Baudillon said in an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press.

The European constitution was roundly rejected in a referendum on May 29, revealing a divided nation disillusioned by politicians and fearing job losses.

"The people who said `no' are frightened by the future," Baudillon said. "Getting the Games would be a very positive moment for the country."

An International Olympic Committee technical report released Monday gave Paris a glowing review, solidifying its status as front-runner in the competition against New York, Madrid, London and Moscow.

The IOC will select a host city on July 6 in Singapore.

"We want to convince all the IOC members that we are the good guys to work with," Baudillon said.

The French capital has failed in two previous Olympic bids for the 1992 and 2008 Games. The committee is keen to show it is making more effort this time.

"We've been learning very much from the former campaign. We know we have to be very convincing, we have to speak a lot, meet a lot of people and this is rather different from the former bid," Baudillon said.

Paris transformed the Champs-Elysees into a sports arena on Sunday with a running track, swimming pool and other facilities. Organizers said more than one million people attended.

"One of the strong points of our candidature is that we're coherent," Baudillon said.

A giant screen will be set up outside Paris City Hall for the IOC announcement from Singapore.

So let's get this right...the IOC should give the 2012 games to Paris not because of its technical superiority, but because the French folk didn't say 'oui' to the boogeyman of an EU Constitution, and that they are 'the good guys to work with'? So that makes Madrid's bid folk evil, as well as London's, Moscow's and NYC's? Are the French so emotionally insecure they need a multi-billion sports festival to reassure themselve of their place in the world's future?

Maybe because I've posted some notes that have raised some hackles for NYC, London and Madrid supporters it's about time I took a shot at the Parisienne self-importance re 2012...but then again how can the IOC accept such a downright ludicrous argument for giving Paris the games. If the bid has enough technical merit then trumpet that...don't go bleating about how bad you feel cause of a few million 'nons'   :rolleyes:

Hold on. The French people voted on this and the majority won as it always does in a democracy. I think it's the French politicians who need a confidence boost right now, not the people as they seemed quite confident, not frightened, of saying "non" to Europe's constitution. Anyway, this is completely unrelated to the Olympics.

I'll tell you what. Let's give 2012 to Iraq. They could sure do with a confidence boost at the moment. Who agrees?

When Tim Henman loses in the quarter finals at Wimbledon, London will have a good reason to say that the UK needs the Olympics to pick itself up from the disappointment.

Oh no, sorry, could only use that reason if we had expected him to win.

Hehehehehe !

Please give us the olympics . We voted NO! to the EU constitution and we're feeling a bit down (embarrassed) . It would make us feel so much better if we could have the games ....please ? If you don't give them to us we won't be able to carry on facing the world on a daily basis . My granny is so upset and you want my granny to be happy don't you ?  Blah blah blah ............

How painfully embarrassing for Paris 2012 to get so desperate and pathetic .

Hold on. The French people voted on this and the majority won as it always does in a democracy. I think it's the French politicians who need a confidence boost right now, not the people as they seemed quite confident, not frightened, of saying "non" to Europe's constitution. Anyway, this is completely unrelated to the Olympics.

I'll tell you what. Let's give 2012 to Iraq. They could sure do with a confidence boost at the moment. Who agrees?

You're correct Robert but where does Chirac look to create the distraction ? The UK . He is purposefully targetting Britain's rebate and provoking a political row to deflect the fallout from himself and his nation . Once again they're trying to make the British look like the bad guys because they are woefully aware that they are .

Here are the French sucking the EU coffers dry via the CAP and destroying the EU constitution whilst attacking and lecturing the UK over our rebate . It couldn't be more blatant .

Indeed, silly. But no more silly than those (including posters here) who declared that the "no" vote doomed the chances of Paris. No connection one way or the other.

So, because some daft people speculated that the EU constitution would make a difference to the chances of Paris, that justifies the numbskull arguments coming from Paris as to why they should host the games?

"One of the strong points of our candidature is that we're coherent," Baudillon said.

DUMB or what?!!!

The leader of Paris' bid for the 2012 Olympics says France needs the Games to boost morale after the country's recent rejection of the EU constitution.

DUMB or what?

The European constitution was roundly rejected in a referendum on May 29, revealing a divided nation disillusioned by politicians and fearing job losses.

"The people who said `no' are frightened by the future," Baudillon said. "Getting the Games would be a very positive moment for the country."

Just a very STUPID justification

Have any of these reasons got to do with the ability of Paris to host the Games? NO!

Are any of these reasons unique to Paris? NO!

So what is the justification for the article? There isn't one!

How much substance is there in the arguments? Not a lot!

What will most people think? It's a load of bollocks

Indeed, silly. But no more silly than those (including posters here) who declared that the "no" vote doomed the chances of Paris. No connection one way or the other.

I don't think very many said that, becuase that is a dumb thing to think. I agree with you parisphoto, there is (or at least should be) no connection between the two.

PARIS (AP) - The leader of Paris' bid for the 2012 Olympics says France needs the Games to boost morale after the country's recent rejection of the EU constitution.

But the bid leader for Paris made the connection. :idea:

Indeed he did !

But the bid leader for Paris made the connection. :idea:

Indeed he did !

And so did a lot of other people.

Why is it that it isn't a surprise that a news report like this would come up? Next thing we will be discussing, in which it is starting to appear anyway in these forums, is the way London and Paris can hold a concert just days before the July 6th. vote. Most of us know what concert I'm talking about here.

...and the torch relay will circumvent the Maginot Line -- just like in 1941.

or the dunkirk beachs as in 1940?

the morons ares still ther, thier city is the ugliest unsexy of the planet, and when the glowing arguments ares empty, the spite on the challengers! lol

silly!

...and the torch relay will circumvent the Maginot Line -- just like in 1941.

or the dunkirk beachs as in 1940?

the morons ares still ther, thier city is the ugliest unsexy of the planet, and when the glowing arguments ares empty, the spite on the challengers! lol

silly!

Which is an ironic point of view given that your first two posts on this forum were two of the most spiteful and poorly argued I've ever read.

Don't throw stones....

Archived