Beijing's Task Is Over

Olympian2004

We already gave our reviews after the end of the Olympic Games, but I think one should also take the Paralympic Games into consideration.

With the Paralympics' closing ceremony last night, Beijing's task to organise the two biggest sports events for non-disabled and disabled athletes has come to an end. Although I hadn't much time to watch the broadcasts from the Paralympics (sadly), I was impressed by the huge praise of athletes, officials, media staff and visitors for the atmosphere and the brilliant organisation at the Paralympics. And judging by the few broadcasts I saw, I have to agree: Unlike previous Paralympics, these Games had a very "Olympic feel", due to the large number of visitors (unprecedented in Paralympic history, as I've learned) and their excitement for the brilliant performances of the athletes. I felt very sorry for the athletes four years ago in Athens, when they had to compete mostly at near-empty venues.

Actually, it seems as if these Paralympics were even better than the Olympics one month ago: They obviously combined the same friendliness of the Chinese people with a more relaxed atmosphere in the city, due to the less strict security measures (thanks, by the way, to jiejie for her -- as usual -- very interesting report from the host city during the Paralympics). And I think that this deserves a special praise.

All in all, I found the past six weeks -- which started with the women's football group matches on Wednesday, August 6 -- more entertaining and pleasing than I had feared in the run-up to the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Organisation-wise, Beijing couldn't have done a better job. Although the Chinese government spent an enormous amount of money and thereby showed their extreme ambition to gain prestige by the staging of the Games, both the Olympic and Paralympic Games didn't lack soul and -- most importantly -- the moving moments which are an indispensible part of the Olympics and Paralympics.

However, the perfectness of the Paralympics combined with the smaller media attention could also be dazzling, since political issues weren't as prominent as during the Olympics. One shouldn't forget that even during the Olympics and I suppose also during the Paralympics, there were serious breaches of human rights -- despite the former promises of the organisers and, most of all, the Chinese government. One can only hope that the government learns from the mostly positive experiences Beijing and China made with its foreign visitors during the Games and that a spirit of more tolerance and liberality defines the government's attitude in the years to come.

Here's a story that shows that there are voices to be heard: Almost half of the Beijingers who took part in an online discussion about the car bans (which will be lifted on Saturday) wish that those bans actually stay in force, due to the improvement they brought to Beijing's air quality during the Games (see here: Xinhua News).

I think it's great that the Chinese people are able to openly discuss such also political issues -- at least online. But I also think that it shows that the Chinese think more democratically than their own government, daring to state also controversial opinions towards governmental decisions. Hopefully, this spirit will lead to a more relaxed way of governmental administration and one fine day also to democratic structures with free elections, full freedom of speech and other human rights. Maybe it's naive to think that a sports event can contribute to such a major political change. But on the other hand, the Seoul 1988 Olympics proved otherwise. Let's hope that history will repeat itself!

Here's a story that shows that there are voices to be heard: Almost half of the Beijingers who took part in an online discussion about the car bans (which will be lifted on Saturday) wish that those bans actually stay in force, due to the improvement they brought to Beijing's air quality during the Games (see here: Xinhua News).

I think it's great that the Chinese people are able to openly discuss such also political issues -- at least online.

We have already can discussed political issues since 10 years ago... ;) China is much more open than you've thought.

Well, the only thing that comes to mind is "Well Done Beijing".

Beijing has managed to stage superb Olympic and Paralympic Games. Sadly, I was not able to attend or follow the Paralympics much (very poor coverage here in France) but I have heard only praises from everyone involved in both Games.

Beijing was missing part of the festive atmosphere we had in past host cities but that's about the only thing I can think of. Beijing did a much better job than I was fearing at one point. All the volunteers in particular have been incredibly kind and willing to help.

Sure the Games haven't solved all of China problems (human rights issues, control over the media, pollution...) and the true impact of the Games won't be assessed before years but I have been really pleasantly surprised.

What's even cooler is that I have no doubt whatsoever that Vancouver and London will be awesome hosts.

My overall impression is of efficient and well-organized Games with splendid and glittering ceremonial.Very impressive to watch and witness.Undoubtedly China doing what it does best which is what we had all expected!

I was even more impressed by what Beijing has done for the Paralympics.I think there was much more of a relaxed and festive atmosphere present where the heavy security measures put in place for the Olympics were relaxed somewhat and ordinary people could meet and stroll on the Olympic Green and soak up the atmosphere.I was impressed by the care and attention which BOCOG lavished on them.They were not treated as a sideshow at all and they managed to raise public awareness and enjoyment of them to a level not seen before (certainly in my case)!

I wonder what the athletes themselves thought? I think they could not complain about the standard of the facilities and venues which Beijing created for them.I suspect they will rate these as one of the best Olympics they have ever competed in! :D

So congratulations and well done Beijing.You have set a standard which future Olympic hosts like London will have to measure up to which I'm sure they will..in their own unique and different ways!! B)

Edited by Mainad

I am overall pleased with the games. The Paralympics are starting to get better recognition all over the world, which is excellent and the ceremonies were amazing.

Despite all the bad press in the lead up to the games, they were extremely well run... Although rent a crowed was poor!

I believe that Beijing has lifted the bar for future olympics in terms of organisation.

Also does anyone know how many positive drug tests there were?