The United States and the 2016 Summer Olympics

Hank

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He He He, now i secretly hope the USOC blows the 2016 bid and then NYC comes back in 2020.  :oops:

Ryan, if 2016 doesn't happen for a US city, 2020 is going to be even more of an impossibility.  So I would bite my tongue if I were you.  Sometimes, some things just aren't meant to happen.  There is a time, rhyme, reason and season for every thing in life.

A lot of news out of Chicago the last few weeks

I talked to some friends yesterday and the rumor that Chicago will build the Acquatics Park at Navy Pier to host swimming looks like it will come true:

Navy Pier Acuatics Part to be Used for 2016 Swimming/Diving Competition

For those who don't know what Navy Pier is, it is a huge recreational area located along the lake near Soldier Field and the Loop. It also has a Ferris Wheel which is being rebuilt to the same size of the first one ever built for the Chicago 1893 World's Fair. It offers gorgeous views of the city as well:

navy_pier.jpg

The Circle Line El Project is nearing the final approval stages.  This will expand the famous "Loop" in the downtown area north, west and south and will connect to the United Center, closer to Soldier Field and in several areas where there is talk of building venues for 2016.  It will also have connections with Metra, which will make it easier for suburban train riders to transfer over to the CTA's el system:

Circle Line Proposals Being Narrowed Down:

And now Mayor Daley and his contingency is heading to Bejing to study the infrastructure improvements that have been made, prior to his May 10 meeting with the IOC:

Mayor Daley To Meet With Bejing Officials

Boy, this is a really hasty meeting for Daley to have gone to Beijing -- for like, what? 48 hours -- and to be back in Chicago on Wednesday to meet with Peter and Bob.  Talk about jet travel.

The way I read it,the announcement just said he planned to go next week.Didn't say whether that would be before or after the USOC's visit.I would guess it would be after!

He certainly seems to be getting geared up for the fight.

Maybe with New York out of the running he now thinks he's almost got it in the bag!

Boy, this is a really hasty meeting for Daley to have gone to Beijing -- for like, what? 48 hours -- and to be back in Chicago on Wednesday to meet with Peter and Bob.  Talk about jet travel.

I guess if anyone needed a gesture of commitment that he was serious about getting the games to Chicago, this is it.

I gotta say, I think the USOC's strategy really has sorted out the serious contenders from the half-hearted ones.

I guess if anyone needed a gesture of commitment that he was serious about getting the games to Chicago, this is it.

I gotta say, I think the USOC's strategy really has sorted out the serious contenders from the half-hearted ones.

Actually, though, Daley is the true neophyte.  What does he have to see first-hand in Beijing that he could not have in, say, Torino or Athens -- the last 2 actual hosts?  What will he see?  New venues under construction?  Perhaps meet with BOJOC or whatever it is now?  I mean any seasoned administrator can quickly pick these things up WITHOUT having to do an actual trip.

New York probably won't be a candidate for the next 30-40 years. Our arenas and stadiums would be old by then and hopefully will be replaced.

Damn, I'll be in the 60's-70's at that time.

Don't worry about it- New York dosen't need the olympics, it's already one of the most well-known and important cities in the world.  Cities like Osaka, Brisbane, Lille, Leipzig, Seville need an olympics as they aren't well known cities internationally, and really have no function whatsoever.

Secondly- you could consider moving to Chicago or San Fran perhaps, then the olympics will be coming to "your city."

New York probably won't be a candidate for the next 30-40 years. Our arenas and stadiums would be old by then and hopefully will be replaced.

Damn, I'll be in the 60's-70's at that time.

Don't worry about it- New York dosen't need the olympics, it's already one of the most well-known and important cities in the world.  Cities like Osaka, Brisbane, Lille, Leipzig, Seville need an olympics as they aren't well known cities internationally, and really have no function whatsoever.

Secondly- you could consider moving to Chicago or San Fran perhaps, then the olympics will be coming to "your city."

I used to live in the Bay Area so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I have some friends in Chicago but like what I've said to one of the members here, had already burned bridges with me because of their very inept attitudes.

Anyway, I don't know which city would present to me a better opportunity to move in but like you have said, I'm already in one of the most important cities in the world. And I'll add to that, the most important in North America, IMO. Only the Bay Area could topple what I'm getting right now because they are the center of the industry I'm working in.

To be, as it were, most brutally frank, the world is currently experiencing a grotesque sense of fatigue where the staging of Summer Olympiads in the USA is concerned. This was most vividly brought home in the excruciating defeat - and most appropriately so - of the New York 2012 bid. Are we to deduce, then, that the Western Hemisphere is so profoundly underdeveloped that no other country in the west is capable of hosting an Olympiad when it is, indeed, the turn of the Western Hemisphere to do so?

Humanity can do much better than to retun the games to the USA so soon and with such a devastatingly real threat of Terrorism.

The USOC visited San Francisco yesterday and The Gav and Ann Cribbs apparently have learned from their 2003 mis-step of having a Bay Area games:

City’s 2016 games bid to be S.F.-centric

San Francisco may have a huge advantage over several other cities due to the approval already received to replace Candlestick and the Hunter's Point land becoming available as of this week.  There was also an article in the SF Chronicle yesterday about revitalizing the Bayview-Hunters Point area, which would fit in nicely with a 2016 bid.  

I still say the only issue that could really hurt SF is the local politics, tree-hugging environmentalist and oh-so PC people that are protesting weekly about something.

The USOC visited San Francisco yesterday

Pssst, LA.  It's not happening until this P.M.  (U may not see this as a PM, which is why I noted it here..)  :wink:

Oh man - this is what happens when I try to multi-task while I am at work  :blush:

Thank you Baron.  Lunch next week?  I may have to go back to Texass soon  :angry:

The USOC visited San Francisco yesterday

Pssst, LA.  It's not happening until this P.M.  (U may not see this as a PM, which is why I noted it here..)  :wink:

Actually, the USOC is visiting both LA and SF today; LA this morning, and SF in the afternoon...

Archived