The New American Race

[NY2012, did you move to Queens?]  

But just reviewing this thread.  Is the old Flushing AIrport site anywhere near La Guardia?  I mean, being that close to a working airport -- would that make for a hospitable village -- not just for the 2 weeks of the Games, but for future residents of the OV, too?  I mean, even with the most advanced building technology, there is little to mask the sound and vibrations of approaching/departing jets.  If it's within a 2.5-mile radius of La Guardia, that doesn't seem like a good site.

I think its like 5 miles, but its near the motorway so, i guess t\it'll work

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[NY2012, did you move to Queens?]  

But just reviewing this thread.  Is the old Flushing AIrport site anywhere near La Guardia?  I mean, being that close to a working airport -- would that make for a hospitable village -- not just for the 2 weeks of the Games, but for future residents of the OV, too?  I mean, even with the most advanced building technology, there is little to mask the sound and vibrations of approaching/departing jets.  If it's within a 2.5-mile radius of La Guardia, that doesn't seem like a good site.

I don't think there would be a problem with it. I stayed just last month for 2 weeks, in the vicinity of Flushing Airport and I never had a problem with it. With the shortness of the runway of LaGuardia, I guess airliners are required to avoid some parts of the vicinity and fly on a route directed by the control tower.

Anyway, with my stay there in that building a block away from the Flushing Airport site, I never had problems with noise coming off of LGA.

Here are some information regarding the Flushing Airport site...

www.newyorkgames.org

Feature Article

Flushing Aiport 2003 plan

On the first site, www.newyorkgames.org,  the photo below it. On the intersection seen in the bottom left of the picture, in the southeast corner, 2nd building down is the hotel where I stayed for 2 weeks. The swamplands you'll see in that picture is the Flushing Airport site. Not in the picture though is the LaGuardia airport farther right of the picture.

If all falls perfectly into place, and it's starting piece by piece, NYC could very well get the nod from the USOC and the IOC for the 2016 Summer Games.  :)  :unclesam:

Don't get too far ahead of yourself.  The venues are looking like they're falling into place, but that is only 1 component.  There's still lots of other issues that the USOC and IOC would need to be impressed with, such as finance, security, transportation, envioronmental impact, political ramifications, etc.  IMHO it's still an open race for the bid.

If all falls perfectly into place, and it's starting piece by piece, NYC could very well get the nod from the USOC and the IOC for the 2016 Summer Games.  :)  :unclesam:

Don't get too far ahead of yourself.  The venues are looking like they're falling into place, but that is only 1 component.  There's still lots of other issues that the USOC and IOC would need to be impressed with, such as finance, security, transportation, envioronmental impact, political ramifications, etc.  IMHO it's still an open race for the bid.

Ok... Let's do it one by one.

Venues, almost there, as I've said and you've seconded, falling into place

Finance, need I say more about this... in New York? The City had a US$4B budget surplus last fiscal year, and expecting around $3B this year. "Other" cities pretending to be the alternative have a $300M budget deficit.

Security, with 44,000 uniformed police officers, the largest in the United States almost 4 times bigger than Chicago and 3 times larger than Los Angeles, and constantly securing high profile worldwide events. I doubt this would be a problem. Plus, the Federal Government will shoulder the cost for this, whoever wins. With NYC, it will be less government interventioon as I've mentioned, the city is used to this type of planning.

Environmental Impact, these sites that are being proposed are neglected areas. For example, Flushing Airport. There's a plan to maintain the swampland as it is, and develop large chunks of it into businesses, housing and parks. Kinda similar to London's plan by redeveloping a neglected part of the city. New York City doesn't have just one part of the city neglected. And having the Olympics in the City will develop a lot places in the city faster than without the games.

Political ramifications, IMO, politics doesn't have much impact in here. There will be but not that great. With potential New Yorkers, and a transplanted New Yorker as the potential Presidential frontrunners in both political parties, they stand to gain so much in supporting a New York bid. Plus, Bloomberg won't be eligible to run anymore for another term. So it will be beneficial for Bloomberg to bring the games to the City, it will set his legacy. Imagine the first Olympics in NYC's history was brought by Mayor Bloomberg, it will really sound good for him. And with some sites like the Flushing Airport being owned by the City, no need for corrupt State approvals.

And a lot of venues are really falling into place. I don't think Mayor Bloomberg is really studying when to build these venues. I think he's just going to do what he needs to do and act on what they need to do rather than having a press conference announcing they'll conduct a study if it's feasible to bid.

Sure, it's still an open race. But IMO, New York will have an upper hand with their experience and actions done by the city government for the past year.

And the important thing, too, is that the 2012 bid team had already initiated relationships with the IOC which will be invaluable in a re-bid.  Nobody stresses that so it doesn't scare the other cities -- but that is a VERY, VERY STRONG asset.

Like Betts, NYC2012 Board Member, attending the Torino Games as part of the Presidential Delegation with First Lady Laura Bush. Specifically stating that NYC is still seriously considering about a re-bid, and interacting with IOC voting members is very crucial if the City decides to bid again.

And NYC Officials going from negative statements after the July decision, to neutral statements today, is telling us a lot about NYC's intentions. The City has recovered from many perceived a stab in the heart from the 2012 loss, to now seriously considering another bid for the summer games. And boy, you're definitely seeing it from their actions, not from blank and "feasible study" press conferences.

To even further cement NYC's top-city-waiting-in-the-wings position is President Bush's naming Rudi Giuliani to officially head the US delegation for the Closing.  Now you know, Mr. Giuliani isn't just going there to smile and shake hands with other IOC members.  You got to read the tea leaves.  

Re Flushing Arport location:  OK, it's great to hear that the jet traffic from La Guardia poses no noise problems.  THat means then that FLushing Airport location is a viable OV site.

Looks like NYC is just humming along.

btw, what bourogh is everybody from?

I used to live in NYC not too long ago.  I now live in the Bay Area.   2 great areas that have benefitted from my presence.   :laughlong:

Sorry. Your Profile said you lived in "gotham city", so I infered that you lived in NYC. Anyway, its good that in the 2016 bid, everything is falling into place for a winning bid

To even further cement NYC's top-city-waiting-in-the-wings position is President Bush naming Giuliani to officially head the US delegation for the Closing.  Now you know, Mr. Giuliani isn't just going there to smile and shake hands with other IOC members.  You got to read the tea leaves.  

And what a perfect ambassador.  A prominent Italian-American going to Italy to line up future IOC votes.  I think Giuliani can appeal to the 2 new Italian members of the IOC: Pescante, Cinquantta and the other one.

To even further cement NYC's top-city-waiting-in-the-wings position is President Bush naming Giuliani to officially head the US delegation for the Closing.  Now you know, Mr. Giuliani isn't just going there to smile and shake hands with other IOC members.  You got to read the tea leaves.  

And what a perfect ambassador.  A prominent Italian-American going to Italy to line up future IOC votes.  I think Giuliani can appeal to the 2 new Italian members of the IOC: Pescante, Cinquantta and the other one.

Where'd you found that out baron? Got any article you can post here?

That's very welcome news though. NYC2012 Board Member Betts, being a part of the delegation for the US Team led by Laura Bush, and now, America's Mayor, Rudolph "Rudy" Giulianni, will head the US Delegation at the closing ceremonies. A potential Presidential/Vice Presidential candidate in 2008, loved by New Yorkers, a perfect face for a New York bid, with a very positive image around the world.

Wow! It just keeps getting better everyday!!!  :)  :unclesam:

Another telling statment of a future NYC Olympic bid:

An excerpt from an interview with the architect of the proposed Olympic Village in Queens:

CHARLIE ROSE: Next slide is the Olympic Village, this is 2012, Queens.

THOM MAYNE: Oh, what a disappointment.

CHARLIE ROSE: Yes, there`s sadness about that.

THOM MAYNE: Didn`t get that. I don`t know where the status is. We are -- we`re still talking to them.

Another telling statment of a future NYC Olympic bid:

An excerpt from an interview with the architect of the proposed Olympic Village in Queens:

CHARLIE ROSE: Next slide is the Olympic Village, this is 2012, Queens.

THOM MAYNE: Oh, what a disappointment.

CHARLIE ROSE: Yes, there`s sadness about that.

THOM MAYNE: Didn`t get that. I don`t know where the status is. We are -- we`re still talking to them.

I don't get that.  It seems self-contradictory.  Mayne says it's a disappointment it didn't happen.  And then "I don't know what the status is..."   :suspect:  but we're still talking to them."  What kind of double-speak is that?  

I've read post-July analyses which show that the site designated for the 2012 OV, was really small; and cramming nearly 11,000 people into that space didn't seem particularly appealing.  Here's a link on those aspects:

Mayne's OV-vision NOT practical post-Games

So maybe it could still be the Press Village, and the main OV over at the Flushing Airport site?

It looks like they're still talking about Queens-West for the OV. But this is the architect of the proposed NYC2012 OV. We don't know what exactly is he talking about, and to whom he is telling that. We don't know.

But this is a good sign that NYC's bid potentially going through and the City is acting on it. Even without announcements of press conferences that they're accomplishing things that are needed for the games.

Just to go out of the NYC talk a little bit, I think dates are pretty important in the USOC race.

This was the 2012 USOC/IOC Schedule

November 2002 - NYC chosen by the USOC to bid for the US

July 2003 - NOC's to inform IOC of the name of an Applicant City by letter

Autumn 2003 - Meeting betwen IOC, NOC and Applicant Cities. Release of Questionnaires to the NOC and Applicant City

January 2004 - Applicant City/NOC submit replies to questionnaires released by the IOC

Spring 2004 - Examination of replies by the IOC; mid-month, candidate cities were announced.

May 2004 - IOC shorlisted 5 cities

November 2004 - NYC submits 600-page bid book to the IOC

Winter 2005 - IOC Evaluation Committee visits to candidate cities

June 2005 - IO Evaluation Committee released it's report on their visits

July 2005 - London wins the right to host the 2012 Summer Games

If you're going to compare this for the 2016 race, just add 4 more years. In reality, the USOC must inform the IOC about a bid city by the summer of next year.

Which means, if the USOC will have a race for 2016, they have to make a decision between late this year and before summer next year. So that they will have at least a few months to tweak whatever they need to tweak, and fix whatever they need to fix. And when the questionnaires need to be submitted January 2008, they'll be ready for it.

NYC in the 2012 race had a lot of time with the USOC to prepare for the race. USOC2016 schedule could be very tight if the USOC decides to stretch it out. It would be better for them if they have a lot of time to spare.

I heard Peter Ueberroth stating he wants to make the bid process faster, simpler and cheaper. I have a suggestion...

Stick with NYC

It'll be faster to just stick with NYC

Simpler to stick with NYC

And definitely cheaper to choose NYC than have another race.

Most of the venues will start construction in the next few years. Vacant spots around the Olympic Park are available, making it viable for other important facilities like the Olympic Village, IBC etc. Sports Parks being built in different parts of the city that could be used for warm-up fields, host outdoor and indoor events. Plus, the City just had a $4B budget surplus last fiscal year, with $3B more expected this coming fiscal year. I don't think you want to give it to a city without a stadium plan, or have budget deficits.

And to top it all, NYC just competed in the highest profile IOC race ever. NYC has the experience and can easily correct its mistakes as it just recently competed. Add to that, NYC2012 Officials are still interacting with the IOC! Guilianni representing the US Delegation, and Betts being part of the First Lady's delegation.

It'll definitely be better for the USOC to choose NYC.  :)  :unclesam:

Just to go out of the NYC talk a little bit, I think dates are pretty important in the USOC race.

This was the 2012 USOC/IOC Schedule

November 2002 - NYC chosen by the USOC to bid for the US

July 2003 - NOC's to inform IOC of the name of an Applicant City by letter

Autumn 2003 - Meeting betwen IOC, NOC and Applicant Cities. Release of Questionnaires to the NOC and Applicant City

January 2004 - Applicant City/NOC submit replies to questionnaires released by the IOC

Spring 2004 - Examination of replies by the IOC; mid-month, candidate cities were announced.

May 2004 - IOC shorlisted 5 cities

November 2004 - NYC submits 600-page bid book to the IOC

Winter 2005 - IOC Evaluation Committee visits to candidate cities

June 2005 - IO Evaluation Committee released it's report on their visits

July 2005 - London wins the right to host the 2012 Summer Games

If you're going to compare this for the 2016 race, just add 4 more years. In reality, the USOC must inform the IOC about a bid city by the summer of next year.

No.  Actually that calendar is a little off.

By April 2006, the USOC is supposed to announce its intentions.

now I'm just guessing...

July '06 - candidate US cities (if they are even going to open up the process) submit their portfolios to the USOC

maybe Nov 2006 - USOC shortlists its candidate cities

May 2007 - USOC picks its bid city (altho I read somewhere that that might not happen until December 2007)

July 2007 - IOC informally compiles long list of serious cities

Nov/Dec 2007 - USOC ratifies official candidature

then here, we sort of get closer to NYC2012's timetable...

May 2008 - IOC issues short list.  Cities can now produce logos with "Candidate City" status.

August 2008 - Beijing Olympics (candidate cities informally start their campaign by being present in Beijing)  

campaigning continues until

July/August 2009 - selection of 2016 host in Copehangen

Archived