The New American Race

But floyd bennet is a park, so there would probaly be public outcry.Also, another possibiltiy is the fresh kills landfill, in staten island also because they are making it a park 3 times the size of central park, so there would be room to spare, and they could build a ferry that goes to the main venues

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But floyd bennet is a park, so there would probaly be public outcry.Also, another possibiltiy is the fresh kills landfill, in staten island also because they are making it a park 3 times the size of central park, so there would be room to spare, and they could build a ferry that goes to the main venues

It is a public park. And will be a sports complex once this is finished. It's the National Parks Service who owns and manages this place. This will be a sports park similar and bigger than the Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. It could definitely host a lot of events if the Federal Government allows it which I'm pretty sure, they would.

The public doesn't have much to say about this because it already passed all the necessary requirements from the Federal Government. Funding is already in place and construction has already started. September would be the target opening date.

They can't just build it anywhere, seamus.  It has to be strategically placed if the bid is to be worth anything.  The 'ferry' business was one of the weak points of th 2012 bid when the main stadium was still in the West Side.  Plus, it also presented 'security concerns.  If NYC's renewed bid is to improve over the 2012 one, and withstand a strong Tokyo bid, the Village has to be built in Queens, close enough to the Shea-Mets Olympic stadium.   THe IOC and the IAAF put a high priority on the proximity of the Village to the main stadium.

They can't just build it anywhere, seamus.  It has to be strategically placed if the bid is to be worth anything.  The 'ferry' business was one of the weak points of th 2012 bid when the main stadium was still in the West Side.  Plus, it also presented 'security concerns.  If NYC's renewed bid is to improve over the 2012 one, and withstand a strong Tokyo bid, the Village has to be built in Queens, close enough to the Shea-Mets Olympic stadium.   THe IOC and the IAAF put a high priority on the proximity of the Village to the main stadium.

Staten Island, although still New York City, is too far from Queens. And with only the I-278 which could be a hell of a parking lot during rush hours as the land travel option, ferries would still be a good 30-45 mins from the Flushing Meadows Olympic Park.

The former Flushing Airport site is a perfect place to put an Olympic Village and it's owned by the city. Eliminating the approval needed from the Judases in the State Legislature.

The Floyd Bennett Field would be a perfect location for another huge Olympic Park similar to Flushing Meadows. But, as a federal park, we can't virtually use it solely, so we maybe can use it part time. Like hosting handball, field hockey or some indoor events to ease up Javits a little bit and avoid inconveniencing the public as it is a public park. It will easily fit the Brooklyn cluster of the NYC2012 plan.

With this park we can ease up Manhattan's load from Javits Center and MSG. You can then transfer gymnastics from MSG and volleyball from the Continental Airlines Arena to the new Brooklyn Arena. Move basketball to MSG as it is the arena known for basketball in New York, together with the boxing finals. MSG is also a site for Great Boxing matches played in the 70's with Ali.

And with this, you eliminate Continental Airlines Arena, which would be 36 years old by 2016, and Nassau Coliseum. The only event which won't be played in the city would be the soccer eliminations. I just don't think you can't take soccer away from Giants Stadium. All the medal events will be in the city, mostly outside of the Manhattan. Virtually avoiding the very narrow streets of the island and the Top Business District in the World.

Very easy to manage, with 2 major clusters, Flushing Meadows Olympic Park and Floyd Bennett Field Olympic Park. And some events in Manhattan.

ok, i know your point, but there also has to be room for things to be put and make them not affect the community.

Where were the equestrian and road cycling events again? i kinda forgot

they'll be in Greenbelt Park in Staten Island, still in the City. This would be the farthest from the Olympic village, if it would be in Queens.

Which communities are going to be affected anyway? Communities will be affected in some way or another, but if some would be inconvenienced with this, they would get more benefits from the games than just staying put with what we have. And it would only be a 2 week affair. The enormous legacy resulting from a 2-week inconvenience is perfectly fine with me. I live in Queens and I will be directly affected by this. But, I would like to see something better than tires and scrap metal with lots of graffiti, when I ride the #7 train to Flushing.

but the soccer eliminations in giants statium is even further away, and the greenbelt is a forest on a really narrow road called manor road

Granted soccer and sailing, which are not the marquee sports, are allowed to be held in outlying venues.  3 of the soccer sites are shared with far-away cities anyway.  THe point is, you must have the marquee sports (T&F, gymnastics, swimming, basketball, the Media Press Centre, the IOC hotel) at the geographic core of any viable bid.  

Then the 2nd tier sports (the fencing, judo, weight-lifting, etc.) -- those always go to some sort of Convention Center; so they are compact and quite centrally acessible as well.  The Village must be somewhere in between; the closer to the T&F stadium, the better.  

Sailing, rowing, soccer prelims, whitewater rafting -- those are conceded to be in the outer reaches, and sometimes have a village or 2 of their own.  Doesn't weaken the bid.

but the soccer eliminations in giants statium is even further away, and the greenbelt is a forest on a really narrow road called manor road

Giants Stadium, contrary to what many may think, is not that far away from Queens. It's just I-495 West (LIE) to 34th St to Lincoln Tunnel, NJ State Route 3 West... All in all, around 20 miles, less than 30 mins with Olympic Priority Lanes. I've driven from Whitestone, the town north Flushing, to Giants Stadium several times and took me around 45 with traffic, 30 mins without.

Greenbelt Park in Staten Island is almost 30 miles from Queens. And it would take a lot of jampacked expressways to get to. Plus, it is a forest, as you have mentioned. Narrow roads lead to it.

So the farthest venue would be in Staten Island, in New York City. I haven't heard of a venue, be an elimination or a medal event, being the farthest and it's still in the City. This is just perfect for New York.

Granted soccer and sailing, which are not the marquee sports, are understood to be held in outlying venues.  3 of the soccer sites are shared with far-away cities anyway.  THe point is, you must have the marquee sports (T&F, gymnastics, swimming, basketball, the Media Press Centre, the IOC hotel) at the geographic core of any viable bid.  

Then the 2nd tier sports (the fencing, judo, weight-lifting, etc.) -- those always go to some sort of Convention Center; so they are compact and quite centrally acessible as well.  The Village must be somewhere in between; the closer to the T&F stadium, the better.  

Sailing, rowing, soccer prelims, whitewater rafting -- those are conceded to be in the outer reaches, and sometimes have a village or 2 of their own.  Doesn't weaken the bid.

That's why the Flushing Meadows Olympic Park, together with Willet's Point and Flushing Airport, if both of them would go through as many people suggested, would be perfect for the marquee sports. With some of them scattered in MSG and the Nets Arena.

2nd tier sports in Javits and the Floyd Bennett Field Park.

Soccer eliminations in New Jersey.

Perfect! Not a venue 35 miles away from the Village.

:)  :unclesam:

try 15. Same distance as from queens to the medowlands

Here are MapQuest direction links...

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

To: Giants Stadium

East Rutherford, NJ

18.99 miles

MapQuest

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

To: Greenbelt Park

200 Nevada Ave

Staten Island, NY

26.69 miles

MapQuest

And remember, at least in American Games held in the last 20 years -- traffic becomes a non-issue.  Work and school schedules are switched around to avoid the "hot zones;"  workers take flex time.  People who don't like the Games leave town.  Deliveries to businesses are made at night, etc., etc.

FOr both LA and Atlanta, the freeways were a breeze during the days when the greatest # of venues were in operation.  Somehow, it all works out.

And remember, at least in American Games held in the last 20 years -- traffic becomes a non-issue.  Work and school schedules are switched around to avoid the "hot zones;"  workers take flex time.  People who don't like the Games leave town.  Deliveries to businesses are made at night, etc., etc.

FOr both LA and Atlanta, the freeways were a breeze during the days when the greatest # of venues were in operation.  Somehow, it all works out.

Yep... And the schedule NYC2012 proposed is the least public transport ridership for the whole year. I love to drive in the city during the summer. Traffic is just moving easily. I'm pretty sure, NY'ers will do the same thing as LA and Atlanta did, if the games do come to NYC in 2016.

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

East Rutherford, NJ

18.99 miles

MapQuest

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

200 Nevada Ave

Staten Island, NY

26.69 miles

MapQuest

but you also have to remember that the traffic would be hesvier to jersey than ststen island

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

East Rutherford, NJ

18.99 miles

MapQuest

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

200 Nevada Ave

Staten Island, NY

26.69 miles

MapQuest

but you also have to remember that the traffic would be hesvier to jersey than ststen island

Not with Olympic Priority Lanes. One thing proposed in NYC2012.

Assuming they both have Olympic Priority Lanes, the distance would matter, so the farther the distance, of course the longer the travel.

Anyway, still the farthest venue would be Greenbelt Park and it's a great complement that NYC's farthest venue would still be in the City. So does sailing. Sailing would probably the farthest venue in a host city, but in NYC, it will be in Brooklyn.

If all falls perfectly into place, and it's starting piece by piece, NYC could very well get the nod from the USOC and the IOC for the 2016 Summer Games.  :)  :unclesam:

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

East Rutherford, NJ

18.99 miles

MapQuest

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

200 Nevada Ave

Staten Island, NY

26.69 miles

MapQuest

Assuming they both have Olympic Priority Lanes, the distance would matter, so the farther the distance, of course the longer the travel.

Anyway, still the farthest venue would be Greenbelt Park and it's a great complement that NYC's farthest venue would still be in the City. So does sailing. Sailing would probably the farthest venue in a host city, but in NYC, it will be in Brooklyn.

If all falls perfectly into place, and it's starting piece by piece, NYC could very well get the nod from the USOC and the IOC for the 2016 Summer Games.  :)  :unclesam:

i guess

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

East Rutherford, NJ

18.99 miles

MapQuest

12601 Roosevelt Ave

Flushing, NY

200 Nevada Ave

Staten Island, NY

26.69 miles

MapQuest

i guess

You guess what???  ???

[NY2012, did you move to Queens?]  

But just reviewing this thread.  Is the old Flushing AIrport site anywhere near La Guardia?  I mean, being that close to a working airport -- would that make for a hospitable village -- not just for the 2 weeks of the Games, but for future residents of the OV, too?  I mean, even with the most advanced building technology, there is little to mask the sound and vibrations of approaching/departing jets.  If it's within a 2.5-mile radius of La Guardia, that doesn't seem like a good site.

Archived