Boooooooooooooooooooooring

I mean - really. Unless you are 10 (ahem Mr X??) and plan on taking up the luge in the next 3 years who really gives a rats arse about the Youth Games. Period.

Just an observation.

Discuss!

Well, umm, them minnow mega-small cities that can easily boast several dozen venues (where they'd be existing or temporary) without having to meet the capacity requirements of a real Olympics? Where such cities that know they don't have a chance in hell of hosting a real Olympics to get some Olympic glory?

Though knowing the IOC, they'll probably want this to be as youth orientated as possible, meaning a possible downscale torch relay, nearly non existent marketing/merchandising (the mascot could simply be a mere design with now merchandise related to it whatsoever other than perhaps teddy bears ;)), the ceremonies to use kids as much as possible, in a children friendly 90 minute display.

Expect an Olympics style setup, but on a vastly downsized scale. :P

This is a wonderful chance for Minneapolis-St. Paul, Miami and Birmingham to claim they have hosted an Olympics. Same with Manchester, Liverpool, Lyon, Brisbane, Canberra, Wellington, Seville and Madrid (oh dear - I said that out loud about Madrid! ;)

But in a way it is kind of a cool concept. As an example, if this were 1976 and the current age rules applied (except for the Chineese, of course) Nadia would burst onto the world stage via the Youth Olympics.

Well, umm, them minnow mega-small cities that can easily boast several dozen venues (where they'd be existing or temporary) without having to meet the capacity requirements of a real Olympics? Where such cities that know they don't have a chance in hell of hosting a real Olympics to get some Olympic glory?

there's no olympic glory to be had in the youth olympics.

unless you think every place that hosts a backwater special olympics gets prestige and glory too?

Just because they won't make for spectacular television doesn't mean they won't be meaningful or have a meaningful impact on the city that hosts them. One of the reasons I wanted Debrecen to host the first games in 2010, especially considering Hungary's illustrious sports tradition.

I also think it will be very meaningful to the athletes that take part, especially since many of those athletes will never seen the light of the Olympic Games themselves. Development and picking are often that those that excel early fall behind later in careers and you won't necessarily see the 2010 100m champion in London being the next Usain Bolt.

Also the YOG can serve as test runs for potential new sports, especially ones with a more youth focus. Though unfortunately it could mean the inclusion of skateboarding to the games (God help us).

I think they have the potential to be successful in that they were greatly improve sports infrastructure in countries that could not necessary host the Olympics. Even though it would be rare and unlikely they would ever been run at an operating profit they still have the potential to do well.

Though I think the games age restrictions should be changed to be from 14 to 20 and not 18. Many junior and youth competitions are under-20 and under 23.

Just because they won't make for spectacular television doesn't mean they won't be meaningful or have a meaningful impact on the city that hosts them. One of the reasons I wanted Debrecen to host the first games in 2010, especially considering Hungary's illustrious sports tradition.

the youth olympics will not have a meaningful impact on the city that hosts them. unlike a real olympic games, most ordinary people won't have an opinion about them one way or the other. do the people in the city that hosts the fencing world championships care? it'll be a sidebar on page D44 of the sports section of the local paper.

the only people who will even remotely derive merit or meaningfulness from this money pit are the kids in medal contention... eleven year old girls from texarkana, glue-gunning rhinestones to their leotard before they begin their baton routine.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the biggest annual events in the hockey world is the Junior World Championships - many a home in Canada has the TV on all day on Xmas for the games. Junior hockey in Canada outdraws every other sport in attendance other than the NHL.

The US has big followings for college basketball, high school football and other 'youth' sports.

The FIFA U20 world cup has a strong following among soccer fans.

There is interest, but yes it is not the main event.

14 to 18

What is the point of a "Youth" Olympic Games when Sydney had a 15yr old Michael Phelps, and Beijing a 14yr old Tom Daley and 16yr old Shawn Johnson? I don't understand why the IOC would want to expend resources on such an event?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived