World Cup 2010 Qualifiers

Rob.

In the South American qualifiers, Peru was the first eliminated country. Ecuador lost to Colombia and is in the fourth place... and it looks like they are facing major problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they end in the fifth place... wouldn't be awesome a play-off match against Mexico, the current fourth place of CONCACAF?

Paraguay lost its first place against Brazil and fell to the third... Uruguay drawed Venezuela... I was cheering for the last ones... I really want to see them finally in a World Cup. Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Uruguay have less than three points of difference so anyone could qualify for the fifth place or even the fourth.

And at the end... Chile defeated Bolivia 4-0. It wasn't a really good match, but at least was kind of the qualification for South Africa. Now we are in second place, with more points than in 1998 at the end. We need only to win Venezuela next september and we will be surely in 2010 WC :D

I'll be crossing my fingers for Chile - it will make next year's WC special for me at least.

BTW, does anyone know the Oceania (certainly NZ) qualifying route this year? Are they playing off against an Asian team now? Now that Oz is in the Asian Confederation, we don't hear news about the Oceania qualifiers any more. It'd be great to see Oz and NZ both qualify.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be crossing my fingers for Chile - it will make next year's WC special for me at least.

BTW, does anyone know the Oceania (certainly NZ) qualifying route this year? Are they playing off against an Asian team now? Now that Oz is in the Asian Confederation, we don't hear news about the Oceania qualifiers any more. It'd be great to see Oz and NZ both qualify.

Yup, they will be playing the best 3rd placed Asian team with from the looks of it will be either Saudi Arabia or North Korea.

North Korea qualify for World Cup

North Korea qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time since 1966 following a goalless draw in Saudi Arabia watched by 66,000 fans.

Iran's failure to defeat South Korea in Seoul earlier meant that North Korea only needed a draw in Riyadh.

They join South Korea, Australia and Japan as Asia's four automatic qualifiers for South Africa 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8106203.stm

Will they be able to cause any upsets this time around like they did back in '66?

For those of you who didn't know, the final fixture of matches were played in Asia last night. Here are the results and the final table.

Australia 2 – 1 Japan

Bahrain 1 – 0 Uzbekistan

Korea Republic 1 – 1 Iran

Saudi Arabia 0 – 0 Korea DPR

So with that, the North Koreans has qualified for their first World Cup since 1966 ! They will join Australia, Japan & South Korea is South Africa as the Asian representitives. Gees, I wonder what Kimmy has to say about this ?

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia & Bahrain will play a play-off to see which of the two will play New Zealand in the Asia-Oceania play-off.

North Korea were responsible for arguably the biggest upset in world cup history when they beat Italy in '66:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4tbehxqSM

Pak Doo Ik, the dentist. This name still arouses some feeling in old minds. I've read somewhere he became a sort of national hero after that.

Anyway their south cousins too gave us some bad slap. See Korea/Japan '02.

Pak Doo Ik, the dentist. This name still arouses some feeling in old minds. I've read somewhere he became a sort of national hero after that.

Anyway their south cousins too gave us some bad slap. See Korea/Japan '02.

Actually, he wasn't a dentist. It was just an Italian Urban legend. After he left professional soccer, he went to be a gymnastics instructor.

Honestly speaking, the North Koreans are so hardly known to the rest of the world that this might actually be their advantage. After all, it was a key reason why they did so well back in '66.

Btw, I don't know how the drawing works but is it possible for North Korea to be drawn in the same group as the United States for next year? Because THAT would be interesting ^^.

Archived