World Cup 2010 Qualifiers

Rob.

I guess Fabio Capello has secured his job tonight! So refreshing to see England finally play like they can play if they try hard enough and tonight they certainly tried and got the result! :D

Fingers crossed we'll be seeing more of the same from here on in! B)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France is not so well but we did won the three points we needed.

England is great and it's nice to see them on the way to qualify again for the world cup after euro.

It's really a shame when a big country miss a final tournament,however there si no reason that a smaller country who played shouldn't qualify,scotland was really near to do the same to us french.

England and Spain are great today,Germany and Portugal were ok,french was good until the serbian goal who terrified us completely.Anelka was great!

But in this part of the game there is only two options,you qualify or you don't,if you did with 16 points you are equal to the one who qualify with 25.

France was terrible in 2006 qualifiers and Spain had an horrible start for 2008,they both have much sucess later.Let's wait and see.

Luxembourg beat Switzerland??????

That's maybe the biggest sensation of last night. Ottmar Hitzfeld will certainly have sleepless nights now, after only three matches as Swiss team manager. I feel very sorry for the Swiss team -- they didn't deserve losing their maybe most important player in the EURO opening match and they also don't deserve to be shown up like this.

France is not so well but we did won the three points we needed.

England is great and it's nice to see them on the way to qualify again for the world cup after euro.

It's really a shame when a big country miss a final tournament,however there si no reason that a smaller country who played shouldn't qualify,scotland was really near to do the same to us french.

England and Spain are great today,Germany and Portugal were ok,french was good until the serbian goal who terrified us completely.Anelka was great!

But in this part of the game there is only two options,you qualify or you don't,if you did with 16 points you are equal to the one who qualify with 25.

France was terrible in 2006 qualifiers and Spain had an horrible start for 2008,they both have much sucess later.Let's wait and see.

Portugal ok??? Portugal 2- Denmark 3

That's maybe the biggest sensation of last night. Ottmar Hitzfeld will certainly have sleepless nights now, after only three matches as Swiss team manager. I feel very sorry for the Swiss team -- they didn't deserve losing their maybe most important player in the EURO opening match and they also don't deserve to be shown up like this.

And it was IN Switzerland? Incredible result.

I've been meaning to go to Wembley for a while, and so I've bought a couple of tickets for England v Kazakhstan next month. What's the odds the 'old' England turn up and it ends 0-0?!

On a less positive note:

The Football Association has asked Fifa to investigate alleged racial abuse directed at Emile Heskey by Croatian fans during England's win in Zagreb.

Monkey chants were heard from a section of home supporters when Heskey was booked for fouling Niko Kovac.

The Wigan striker said: "You have to let the people above deal with that and I will carry on playing my game.

"They are ignorant people. You have to ignore it and enjoy your game. Their players weren't happy about it either."

The FA spoke to Heskey about the incident after England's 4-1 win in their Group Six World Cup qualifier on Wednesday and has submitted a report to Fifa.

An FA spokesman said: "We can confirm that we will be making a report to Fifa about the racist chanting aimed at Emile Heskey by some Croatia fans during the World Cup qualifying game in Zagreb.

"It is unacceptable for anyone to be subjected to racial abuse and we will be asking Fifa to investigate this.

"The FA and England team are determined to do all they can to eradicate any form of racism from football and society."

Croatia were given a small fine during Euro 2008 for racist abuse from their fans during their game against Turkey.

Heskey has been racially abused while on England duty before, in Slovakia in 2002, while Shaun Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole were subjected to monkey chants in a friendly against Spain in Madrid in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7609754.stm

:(

I've been meaning to go to Wembley for a while, and so I've bought a couple of tickets for England v Kazakhstan next month. What's the odds the 'old' England turn up and it ends 0-0?!

There is only two option in football:you are a big nation of foot or you are not.

And England is a big nation of football,I understand you had an horrible moment with euro 2008 failure but it happens to every big nation,From germany to italy,from spain to france we all had our time were the team was weaker than usual and missed a big tournament.

Now 2010 is different,England is a big team,like usual and there is no reason to be pessimistic and to tell every match"oh my god we're playing estonia,San marino!!we may loose that awful"that's how you create an effect that can indeed make you loose.

Spirit is important in sport and when all the country,newpapers and federation tell the players they are bad or that they are gonna loose next match,even sometime when they are not that bad,it is far from helping the players.

And i am very furious to see the same thing .hapening in France right now.

whats all this qualifying for?

There's a World Cup going on in South Africa in a few years. Some nice chap has posted lots of photos of the stadiums; you should have a look Mo.

:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

The results of the quilifier matches today in Europe:

Group 1:

Hungary vs. Albania 2:0

Denmark vs. Malta 3:0

Sweden vs. Portugal 0:0

Group 2:

Switzerland vs. Latvia 2:1

Luxembourg vs. Israel 1:3

Greece vs. Moldova 3:0

Group 3:

Poland vs. Czech Republic 2:1

San Marino vs. Slovakia 1:3

Slovenia vs. Northern Ireland 2:0

Group 4:

Finland vs. Azerbaijan 1:0

Wales vs. Liechtenstein 2:0

Germany vs. Russia 2:1

Group 5:

Turkey vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina 2:1

Belgium vs. Armenia 2:0

Estonia vs. Spain 0:3

Group 6:

England vs. Kazakhstan 5:1

Ukraine vs. Croatia 0:0

Group 7:

Faroe Islands vs. Austria 1:1

Serbia vs. Lithuania 3:0

Romania vs. France 2:2

Group 8:

Georgia vs. Cyprus 1:1

Bulgaria vs. Italy 0:0

Group 9:

Scotland vs. Norway 0:0

Netherlands vs. Iceland 2:0

I am happy with the result but don't know how the game went. From the score sheet it looks like Germany went out strong, got the lead and than sat back.

Splendidly fathomed, Faster!!!

The German team won due its fantastic "first half" and great parries of Adler - the goal for Russia was a result of inattentions..

Thank god for the second half!

England didn't play well but nor did we play that badly in my opinion. Kazakhstan really gave up after the third England goal went in and it was a training game for the last part of the match. A 0-0 draw between Ukraine and Croatia really puts us in the driving seat at this early stage, something that I don't remember ever being able to say about England during qualifying before.

Nice to finally see the new Wembley as well.

The matches for Wednesday, October 15:

Group 1

Malta - Hungary

Portugal - Albania

Group 2

Latvia - Israel

Luxembourg - Moldova

Greece - Switzerland

Group 3

Czech Republic - Slovenia

Northern Ireland - San Marino

Slovakia - Poland

Group 4

Russia - Finland

Germany - Wales

Group 5

Bosnia and Herzegovina - Armenia

Belgium - Spain

Estonia - Turkey

Group 6

Croatia - Andorra

Belarus - England

Group 7

Lithuania - Faroe Islands

Austria - Serbia

Group 8

Ireland - Cyprus

Georgia - Bulgaria

Italy - Montenegro

Group 9

Iceland - FYR Macedonia

Norway - Netherlands

Splendidly fathomed, Faster!!!

The German team won due its fantastic "first half" and great parries of Adler - the goal for Russia was a result of inattentions..

Score sheets can be all telling. And it has been Germany's style of late to have about 30 good minutes and the other 60 holding on.

Awful match yesterday at Quito with an awful referee... he was suspended in the Uruguayan league but CONMEBOL sent him to an international match?

Anyway, we lost 1:0 in the worst match of the Bielsa era. I hope we can manage a draw against Argentina next Wednesday... but statistics aren't really optimistic: in more than 50 years of qualifiers, Chile has never taken any point against Argentina in Santiago. u_u

Thank god for the second half!

England didn't play well but nor did we play that badly in my opinion. Kazakhstan really gave up after the third England goal went in and it was a training game for the last part of the match. A 0-0 draw between Ukraine and Croatia really puts us in the driving seat at this early stage, something that I don't remember ever being able to say about England during qualifying before.

Nice to finally see the new Wembley as well.

I really can't stand this obsession with 'performance' when it comes to the England team. What matters is the result. We won. Move on to Belarus tomorrow night. Honestly, have we not learned anything?

By the way, Rob, what was your take on the whole Ashley Cole booing issue?

I really can't stand this obsession with 'performance' when it comes to the England team. What matters is the result. We won. Move on to Belarus tomorrow night. Honestly, have we not learned anything?

I'm not sure I agree. I got tired of hearing Steve McLaren saying "it's the result that matters" after a horrible performance against the minnows of the footballing world and Sven's ability to see the good in everything became annoying. I love the fact Capello is seemingly never happy; that's exactly what England need at the moment. Of course results matter, but having a manager who is, by-and-large, not satisfied with just 2-0 against Andorra is good.

When we're in the world cup knockout stages (and from everything I've seen so far, I don't think I'm being unrealistic by saying 'when'), then I'll agree with you; if we beat Brazil by a scrappy own goal that's fine. But at this early stage, performance does matter.

Saying that, if your point was more about some of the fans who are quick to turn on the team after a bad 15 minutes' play then I agree with you entirely. A manager should never be satisfied, fans should always be supportive.

By the way, Rob, what was your take on the whole Ashley Cole booing issue?

Mountain from a molehill in many ways. I reckon it was probably only 1 in 20 people booing, if that. Of course, that amounts to 4000 people in a stadium the size of Wembley, which, I'd imagine, sounds like a lot more on TV.

I have to say, this is very refreshing....

Rio:

This regime is very watertight. If I'm honest, it feels as if we're going in the right direction.

"I don't want to speak too soon but you can see we're at the start of something and hopefully there will be bigger rewards than what we've had in the past."

England pre-Capello was 'circus'

heard the welsh anthem for the first time

"Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,

Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;

Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,

Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

(Cytgan)

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.

Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,

Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;