Group 8

Ireland - Cyprus 1:0

Georgia - Bulgaria 0:0

Italy - Montenegro 2:1

Group 9

Iceland - FYR Macedonia 1:0

Norway - Netherlands 0:1

Goal of Chile!!!!!!

I can't believe it... we are winning... it's the first time in my entire life I see Chile winning against Argentina, at least some minutes (and I'm including qualifiers, olympic, u-20, u-17, female football, etc, etc...)

First time is over... Chile 1:0 Argentina :)

OMG I'm so excited! We won!

It's historical... in 100 years, Chile never won against Argentina in an official match and in 77 matches (including friendlies) we only had won 5 times. And now, we have won after all this years. And the best thing is that our team did playing splendid! Messi didn't played and the goal was wonderful.

The people is still celebrating in the stadium and this would probably be one of the most watched TV program in Chilean history. I'm hearing now the people in their cars blowing their horns as a form of celebration...

Chile 1:0 Argentina

Now we're tied in the second place with Argentina and Brazil (although Brazil has to play against Colombia)

914760_full-prt.jpg

Wayne Rooney scored twice as England took a giant stride towards World Cup qualification by beating Belarus to make it maximum points from four games.

Steven Gerrard gave England the lead from 30 yards after 11 minutes, but Pavel Sitko headed a deserved leveller for Belarus before the break.

Rooney turned in a cross from Emile Heskey five minutes after the break.

And he lifted home a superb third from Gerrard's pass 16 minutes from time to give coach Fabio Capello another win.

_45112489_rooney466_282pa.jpg

--------

I know it's still very early days but, Arwebb, how good does that look?

s. Team Pl W D L +/- Pts

1 England 4 4 0 0 11 12

2 Croatia 4 2 1 1 4 7

3 Ukraine 3 2 1 0 3 7

4 Belarus 3 1 0 2 -1 3

5 Kazakhstan 4 1 0 3 -6 3

6 Andorra 4 0 0 4 -11 0

Congratulations to Chile and England for the success of their respective teams!

Here are the full European results of yesterday's match day:

Group 1

Malta - Hungary 0:1

Portugal - Albania - 0:0

Group 2

Latvia - Israel 1:1

Luxembourg - Moldova 0:0

Greece - Switzerland 1:2

Group 3

Czech Republic - Slovenia 1:0

Northern Ireland - San Marino 4:0

Slovakia - Poland 2:1

Group 4

Russia - Finland 3:0

Germany - Wales 1:0

Group 5

Bosnia and Herzegovina - Armenia 4:1

Belgium - Spain 1:2

Estonia - Turkey 0:0

Group 6

Croatia - Andorra 4:0

Belarus - England 1:3

Group 7

Lithuania - Faroe Islands 1:0

Austria - Serbia 1:3

Group 8

Ireland - Cyprus 1:0

Georgia - Bulgaria 0:0

Italy - Montenegro 2:1

Group 9

Iceland - FYR Macedonia 1:0

Norway - Netherlands 0:1

I'm very glad that Germany got the three points from the match against Wales. It was an incredibly tough job to do so. I think that -- even if it needs a lot of talent, too, to defend one's goal as effectively as the Welsh did -- such a kind of football should be forbidden. That was catenaccio which was unattractive beyond description. Anyway, it was proven yesterday that group 4 won't be decided by the direct duels between the two "big ones", Germany and Russia, but by the duels of the "big ones" with the "smaller" teams in that group. If Germany had won only one or even no point last night, it would have been extremely difficult to secure the direct qualification or even the play-off spot. But even now, with six points from those two highly important qualifiers this week, nothing is safe yet for Team Germany. The away matches in Wales and Russia and the home match against Finland will be hell. And Russia obviously dominated Finland (even if you don't take the two own goals into account) so clearly that Germany should take a leaf out of the Russians' book. So it's utter nonsense when the first commentators in Germany say that the team can already book its hotel in South Africa.

Besides group 4, I'm surprised about the Portugal's bad performance currently. This is not the first time, however, that they have a rough start into a qualification, but they seriously have to pull their socks up if they don't want to watch the World Cup in television.

Big surprises, on the other hand, are Hungary, Slovakia and Lithuania -- although one has to say that Hungary owes its good standing to the mostly weaker opponents it had so far in its qualifiers.

At the same time, it's good to see that Switzerland hasn't lost its courage after the devastating defeat against Luxembourg. They still have what it takes to at least secure the play-off spot. On the other hand, Austria has probably lost everything already now after an actually encouraging qualification kick-off against France. With Romania and Serbia being their next two qualifier opponents in March and June 2009, their prospects are getting even worse.

I'm very glad that Germany got the three points from the match against Wales. It was an incredibly tough job to do so. I think that -- even if it needs a lot of talent, too, to defend one's goal as effectively as the Welsh did -- such a kind of football should be forbidden. That was catenaccio which was unattractive beyond description.

Every time Germany struggles to win a match you bring this up Olympian. :P I seem to remember you having a go at our ladies football team after your 'world beaters' failed to roll them over at last year's world cup for the same reason! The Welsh have an extremely promising young side which, in the next few years, will have a better chance than any Welsh team I can remember of qualifying for a major tournament. It sounds to me as though they got their tactics spot on last night and nearly got a good result. We'd all like to see attacking football in every match, but a match in which one team defends well and is tactically sound can be just as intruiging a contest as one where both teams attack; if very frustrating for the team odds on to win.

If one team is so much better than the one that plays a more defensive style, then surely they will show that and win by the wide margin that their alleged superiority would merit. The fact that it took Germany more than 70 minutes to break down a Welsh team largely made up of promising youngsters and lower league players shows me that John Toshack got his tactics absolutely spot on and his players carried them out extremely well. Rather than criticising, we should actually be praising a Welsh side that I have to admit thought would get hammered.

heard the welsh anthem for the first time

I suggest you do your damnedest to get yourself a ticket for the return fixture at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Hearing 50 or 60,000 Welshmen and women singing that, as I have, is one of the most awesome sporting sounds anywhere in the world for me.

Every time Germany struggles to win a match you bring this up Olympian. :P I seem to remember you having a go at our ladies football team after your 'world beaters' failed to roll them over at last year's world cup for the same reason!

Nope. In fact, that was Goethe: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=129254

But that doesn't change the fact that I absolutely hate purely defensive football, regardless whether it comes from the Welsh, the Greek, the Equatorial Guineans or the Germans themselves. As I said, probably a lot of talent is needed as well to play that effectively -- but if such defensive playing was forbidden, I would most certainly not miss it.

If one team is so much better than the one that plays a more defensive style, then surely they will show that and win by the wide margin that their alleged superiority would merit.

I never said that Germany is "so much better" than Wales. Both matches in the EURO qualification proved otherwise, including the 2-0 in Cardiff which wasn't as easy as the result pretends.

Rather than criticising, we should actually be praising a Welsh side that I have to admit thought would get hammered.

I never expected them to be hammered, bearing -- once again -- in mind what happened during the EURO qualification and also in previous matches between Germany and Wales.

Well done Chile, always good to see Argentina get beaten! ;) Hope you had a good night celebrating Kratk!

Well, I couldn't because I had to study... but certainly the rest of the country did it. Yesterday, the people was celebrating in Plaza Italia (the main square of Santiago) until 2 AM... even President Bachelet suspended a meeting with local governors in the south of the country when they heard the city roaring after the first goal and then everybody went to the closest TV to see the goal and the rest of the match.

Of course, it was the main issue of the day... everybody was talking about the match. The only "sad" thing was the accident of Mark Gonzalez, a midfielder, that crashed with an Argentinean at the beggining of the match and then he fell unconscious to the floor... he broke his leg and now is in the hospital but it's ok.

LT-20081016-001.jpg166626_244.jpg

While the covers of the Chilean newspapers had large pictures of the players, the Argentinean media was in shock. One of the main sport newspapers, Olé, had this title: "We are nothing" ("No somos nada"). Messi said that they played awful and even Alfio Basile, the Argentinean trainer, had just resigned after the loss.

And now, we are third :) I hope we can return after 12 years to the World Cup

England choose Cape as 2010 base

By CHARLES SALE

Last updated at 8:22 AM on 17th October 2008

Unbeaten group leaders England are less than halfway through their qualifying campaign but have already pinpointed their favoured training base in South Africa for the 2010 World Cup finals.

The five-star Pezula Resort Hotel and Spa on South Africa's Garden Route between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth is acclaimed as one of the country's most luxurious destinations.

Its Indian Ocean-side location on the outskirts of Knysna will also make it the perfect venue for the travelling camp of WAGs - if they are allowed to accompany the squad.

Pezula Resort Hotel and Spa

Lions den: The magnificent Pezula Resort Hotel and Spa - a venue that could be England's base during the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Their presence overshadowed England's 2006 World Cup campaign in a fateful month in Baden Baden - described as 'a bit of a circus' by England stand-in captain Rio Ferdinand before the 3-1 victory in Belarus on Wednesday that has sparked World Cup fervour again.

Knysna is a party town for South Africa's rich and famous and its swish bars, clubs, restaurants and beach life will be heaven on earth for the WAGs, even if hardline manager Fabio Capello keeps his squad locked away within the resort's heavily-guarded 1,000-hectare grounds.

World Cup wonder: Wayne Rooney beats Dmitri Verhovcov of Belarus on his way to scoring his second goal for England this week

The entire hotel with its £300-a-night, 78 individual suites has already been booked from May 29 to July 14 2010 for the exclusive use of a World Cup team and the staff expect to find out next month if England will be staying there.

An FA delegation visited the property in July and are said to have been highly impressed with the venue, which has plenty of room and facilities on site for England to train on what Pezula describe as their 'field of dreams', while nearby airports allow easy travel to all match venues.

pezula pool

Hotel general manager Russell Binks said: 'The FA told us they were very pleased with everything they saw and we think it's the best possible base for their World Cup preparations. Security can be guaranteed and the WAGs will have a great time in Knysna. We would love to host the England team here but other football federations have also shown an interest.'

The Pezula has stunning views of the Indian Ocean, Knysna Lagoon and the Outeniqua Mountains and has a championship golf course next door. Facilities include a 25metre indoor pool, a spa with nine therapy rooms, award-winning restaurants and a castle that acts as a private beach club for guests.

But the big question is whether the FA will be put off such an idyllic location because of the potential of the WAGs 'Class of 2010' to turn Knysna into a repeat of Baden Baden.

The FA would make no comment yesterday about their World Cup plans.

article-1078271-02247E64000005DC-336_468x363.jpg

article-0-022461F1000005DC-19_468x270.jpg

article-0-0224621E000005DC-636_468x264.jpg

article-0-0224624D000005DC-644_468x270.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well the final qualification processes are starting

Africa:

Group 1

Cameroon

Morocco

Gabon

Togo

Group 2

Nigeria

Tunisia

Kenya

Mozambique

Group 3

Egypt

Algeria

Zambia

Rwanda

Group 4

Ghana

Mali

Benin

Sudan

Group 5

Cote d'Ivoire

Guinea

Burkina Faso

Malawi

I think Cameroon, Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire are going to be the qualifiers

Asia:

Group A

Australia - 10

Japan - 8

Bahrain - 4

Qatar - 4

Uzebkistan - 1

Group B

Korea - 8

DPR - 7

Iran - 6

Saudi Arabia

I think Australia, Japan, Korea, DPR and Iran will qualify

Group 1

Denmark - 7

Hungary - 7

Albania - 6

Portugal - 5 :D

Sweden - 5

Malta - 1

Group 2

Greece - 9

Israel - 8

Switzerland - 7

Latvia - 4

Luxembourg - 4

Moldova -1

Group 3

Slovakia - 9

N. Ireland - 7

Czech Republic - 7

Poland - 7

Slovenia - 7

San Marino - 0

Group 4

Germany - 10

Russia - 6

Wales - 6

Finland - 4

Azerbaijan - 1

Liechtenstein - 1

Group 5

Spain - 12

Turkey - 8

Belgium - 7

Bosnia - 6

Estonia - 1

Armenia - 0

Group 6

England - 12

Croatia - 7

Ukraine - 7

Belarus - 3

Kazakhstan - 3

Andorra - 0

Group 7

Serbia - 9

Lithuania - 9

France - 4

Austria - 4

Romania - 4

Faroe Islands - 1

Group 8

Italy - 10

Ireland - 10 :D

Bulgaria - 3

Montenegro - 2

Georgia - 2

Cyprus - 1

Group 9

Netherlands - 9

Scotland - 4

Iceland - 4

Macedonia - 3

Norway - 2 :(

Portugal, Greece, Poland, Germany, Spain, England, Serbia, Italy and Netherlands will be group winners I think, hopefully out of the second best Ireland, Croatia, Israel and Denmark are the winners of the playoffs.

CONCACAF

Costa Rica - 3

USA - 3

El Salvador - 1

Trinidad and Tobago - 1

Honduras - 0

Mexico - 0

Mexico, USA and Costa Rica should qualify.

South America:

Paraguay - 23

Brazil - 17

Argentina - 16

Chile - 16

Uruguay - 13

Ecuador - 12

Colombia - 11

Venezuela - 10

Bolivia - 9

Peru - 7

Hopefully this stays the same and Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay qualify.

I did a mock draw with the teams:

Group A

South Africa

Israel

Uruguay

Costa Rica

Group B

Portugal

Poland

Nigeria

Korea Republic

Group C

Spain

England

Egypt

Australia

Group D

Brazil

Croatia

Ghana

Korea DPR

Group E

Argentina

Ireland Republic

Cote d'Iviore

Japan

Group F

Germany

Greece

Paraguay

Iran

Group H

Netherlands

Serbia

Chile

USA

Group F

Italy

Denmark

Cameroon

Mexico

Next Sunday will certainly be a very special qualifier match between Chile and Perú.

Chile will visit Peru in a week marked with the problems between both countries after Peru demanded Chile in the International Court of Justice for a maritime dispute between both countries. Even some nationalist politicians of Peru have been talking about war... of course, there won't be any war, but certainly the match will be a bit problematic. The last time Chile went to Lima, the bus was attacked with rocks and there were problems inside the stadium. I don't think it will be different, especially now that Chile is 4th and with a lot of expectations after the victory with Argentina... in the other hand, Perú is in the last spot and there will have to keep their pride... Besides, according to the experts, Chile must win against Peru and Uruguay this week to secure the qualification for South Africa...

I did a mock draw with the teams:

Group A

South Africa

Israel

Uruguay

Costa Rica

Group B

Portugal

Poland

Nigeria

Korea Republic

Group C