Current IOC Active Members List

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was making a complete list, when my connection to the Internet gave out on me without warning. Well, here is the list of nations, in alphabetical order, that have more than one member. The number beside it is the number of IOC active members it has:

Australia (4)

Belgium (2) - including IOC President Jacques Rogge

Brazil (2)

Canada (3)

People's Republic of China (2)

Finland (2)

France (3)

Germany (3)

Great Britain (4)

Greece (2)

Hungary (2)

Italy (5)

Japan (2)

Korea [south] (3)

Mexico (3)

Netherlands (4)

Norway (2)

Russian Federation (3)

Senegal (2)

Spain (3)

Sweden (3)

Switzerland (5)

Ukraine (2)

United States Of America (3)

Notice something here? Most nations listed here have or will at least hosted ONE Olympic Games in modern Olympic history. The exceptions are as follows:

Brazil

Hungary

Senegal

Ukraine

Also Ukraine hosted some football and I think water sports during the 1980 Olimpics  :)

thanks for all the info on the IOC

isn't the Prince of Monaco an IOC member and competing Athlete?

Yes, Prince Albert of Monaco is an active member of the IOC and a competing Olympic athlete. He's a member of the Monacan bobsleigh team for the Winter Olympics. He carried the national flag and led the Monaco team into the Calgary 1988 Winter Olympics opening ceremony.

Also Ukraine hosted some football and I think water sports during the 1980 Olimpics  :)

Well, Moscow 1980 was technically in Russian territory of the former USSR. However, Ukraine was another republic of the former USSR, too. Most of all, most people will say that the 1980 Summer Olympics were held in Russia, if it was an independent country then. Ukraine was "lucky" to have some events from those Games to host then because of political geography then.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that May 18th. is nearly upon us, the shortlist will determine which and how many cities will be able to become CANDIDATE CITIES for the 2012 Olympic Games: the Games of the XXX Olympiad.

As such, that will make a base (out of the 124 active IOC members) that will vote on the first ballot at Singapore's July 2005 IOC Session.

• 4 weeks later...

Now, let the real race begin for the 2012 Olympic Games!

4 European capital cities: Paris, London, Moscow, and Madrid

VERSUS

The largest American city: New York City

It is going to be mind-boggling for most of the 125 active members of the IOC to decide where the next Olympics, after Beijing 2008, will be held.

On the first round of voting for the 2012 Olympic host city in Singapore, in 2005, the following members from the 125 available cannot vote (by nation):

Brazil (2)

Cuba

France (3)

Germany (3)

Great Britain (4)

Russian Federation (3)

Spain (3)

United States Of America (3)

*There are no Turkish members in the IOC at this moment.

Therefore, 22 members in total. That makes 103 active members that can vote in the first round ballot.

Well, now that there are 5 candidate cities for the 2012 Olympic Games, the following number of IOC members that will vote in the first ballot at Singapore 2005 is added to the 103 other active IOC members:

Brazil (2)

Cuba

Germany (3)

Now, that makes 109 IOC members. 16 IOC members are to be excluded from voting in the first round. This is updated, according to the official IOC member list.

However, there could be more new IOC members named after the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. How many is unknown at this time and it could change over time as well, until the July 2005 vote.

58 out of the current 125 active IOC members come from the European continent. With that, and also the fact that 4 European capital cities are contenders for the 2012 Olympics, it will be interesting how all these IOC members will cast their vote on July 2005. Chief among them are the Swiss and the Italians, with 5 votes each; the Netherlands with 4; and both Germany and Sweden with 3 each.

Next, 21 of the current 125 IOC members hail from the Americas. With the USA in the running for the 2012 Olympic Games, it will be interesting of sorts where Canada's and Mexico's 3 votes go, along with Brazil's 2 votes.

What happens after the first round? Is everybody then allowed to vote. Or do GB, French, Russian, American and Spanish IOC members not vote at all in the election? Also is Dr Rogge eligable to bid as President or is he not allowed to (or does he not vote by choice?)

What happens after the first round? Is everybody then allowed to vote. Or do GB, French, Russian, American and Spanish IOC members not vote at all in the election? Also is Dr Rogge eligable to bid as President or is he not allowed to (or does he not vote by choice?)

GB, French, Russian, Amercian and Spanish IOC members could only vote when their city is out.

So after each round, some new votants enter the game....

GB, French, Russian, Amercian and Spanish IOC members could only vote when their city is out.

So after each round, some new votants enter the game....

Yes, that is right. Until the 50% + 1 majority is achieved, the candidate city with the lowest number of votes gets eliminated from the next ballot and the IOC members from that lost national candidate bid can vote.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that Kim Un Yong, IOC member since 1986 for South Korea, is given a jail sentence for 2-1/2 years, will he be able to retain this position or not? I guess the IOC is going to have to make up its mind soon on this matter. Right now, South Korea has 3 IOC members. That could be cut down to 2, if the IOC chooses to do so.

Unbelievable!! The IOC membership is down to 124 now. I will correct my previous posts regarding this, but it is a surprise one. Mexico has lost a member and now only has TWO IOC members.

Next, 21 of the current 125 IOC members hail from the Americas. With the USA in the running for the 2012 Olympic Games, it will be interesting of sorts where Canada's and Mexico's 3 votes go, along with Brazil's 2 votes.

As such on my previous post, Canada has the most IOC member votes now that can vote first in the ballot from the Americas on July 2005. Now, Brazil AND Mexico have two votes each. Changes may yet come to change this scenario again.

Unbelievable!! The IOC membership is down to 124 now. I will correct my previous posts regarding this, but it is a surprise one. Mexico has lost a member and now only has TWO IOC members.

IMO, not good news for NYC or Madrid.

The bigger question: why did Mexico lose an IOC member in the first place?

not for NYC i'm sure. most likely London or Paris, but I'm leaning towards London. Ofcourse lets not forget the swing votes. Africa and South, Central America and Caribbean.

The bigger question: why did Mexico lose an IOC member in the first place?

"Que pasa cabrones!? Necesitan ayudarse los compadres de Nueva York y Madrid! Que pasa wey!?"

:P

not for NYC i'm sure. most likely London or Paris, but I'm leaning towards London. Ofcourse lets not forget the swing votes. Africa and South, Central America and Caribbean.

By the way, the number of IOC members from the Americas region dropped from 21 to 20 now. Mexico lost a member without explanation that I can find.

Also, olympian, this region DOES INCLUDE the Caribbean area, South America, AND Central America.

Here is the breakdown of the IOC votes (including the USA) from the Americas, out of the current 124 in the world:

Canada: 3

USA: 3

Mexico: 2 (just lost one)

Barbados: 1

Cuba: 1

Dominican Republic: 1

Puerto Rico: 1

Guatemala: 1

Panama: 1

Brazil: 2

Columbia: 1

Peru: 1

Argentina: 1

Uruguay: 1

That's it for all North, South, Central, and the Caribbean region of the Americas. Just 20 IOC members out of the grand total of 124 in the world.

"Que pasa cabrones!? Necesitan ayudarse los compadres de Nueva York y Madrid! Que pasa wey!?"

:P

Very funny comments! :D

I see many people speaks Spanish in those mexican accents! I saw in other topic someone writing "Papi rico, sin camisa" or sth like that. :laugh:

Latinos are conqering USA!!! :D  :laughlong:  :;):

I see many people speaks Spanish in those mexican accents! I saw in other topic someone writing "Papi rico, sin camisa" or sth like that. :laugh:

haha as a Texan I can say it's already happened.

haha as a Texan I can say it's already happened.

We all pretty much know where the lone Cuban vote will head toward.

Russia has 3 members

Sapain has 3 members

Great Britain has 4 members

France has 3 members

United States has 3 members

so in total, 16 of the 124 members cannot vote, which leaves 108 voting members, which means that a city must get 55 votes to win in the first round of voting, unless one of the cities gets cut before the vote.

Archived