Current IOC Active Members List

Guardian

Now that the 2012 Olympic Games race is underway, it is best to list the 122 IOC members that could bid for the host city of the forementioned Games. See the complete list for yourselves from the link below:

Current IOC Members List

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was making a complete list, when my connection to the Internet gave out on me without warning. Well, here is the list of nations, in alphabetical order, that have more than one member. The number beside it is the number of IOC active members it has:

Australia (4)

Belgium (2)

Brazil (2)

Canada (2)

People's Republic of China (2)

Egypt (2)

Finland (2)

France (3)

Germany (2)

Great Britain (3)

Greece (2)

Hungary (2)

Italy (5)

Japan (2)

Korea [south] (3)

Mexico (2)

Morocco (2)

Netherlands (4)

Norway (2)

Russian Federation (3)

Senegal (2)

Spain (2)

Sweden (3)

Switzerland (5)

Ukraine (2)

United States Of America (3)

Here's the rest of the IOC active member nations that have only ONE member each. Here it is in alphabetical order:

Algeria

Argentina

Austria

Barbados

Bulgaria

Cameroon

Chinese Taipei [Taiwan]

Columbia

Cote d'Ivoire

Croatia

Cuba

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Dominican Republic

Fiji

Guatemala

Guinea

Hong Kong [China]

India

Iran

Ireland

Israel

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Mauritius

Monaco

Namibia

New Zealand

Nigeria

Kenya

Korea [North]

Kuwait

Lebanon

Mongolia

Pakistan

Panama

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Serbia and Montenegro

Singapore

South Africa

Syria

Thailand

Togo

Tunisia

Uganda

Uruguay

Zambia

On the first round of voting for the 2012 Olympic host city in Singapore, in 2005, the following members from the 125 available cannot vote (by nation):

Brazil (2)

Cuba

France (3)

Germany (3)

Great Britain (4)

Russian Federation (3)

Spain (3)

*There are no Turkish members in the IOC at this moment.

Therefore, 22 members in total. That makes 103 active members that can vote in the first round ballot.

• 4 weeks later...
I have changed the number of IOC members from Great Britain from three to four now. The new IOC member is Philip Craven (International Paralympic Committee President). As such, there is now 125 active IOC members.

• 2 months later...

Well, it seems that the page about active IOC members has changed slightly since I last saw it.

It has ranked it from earliest member to new member by year. As such, Havelange of Brazil and Hodler of Switzerland have been IOC members since 1963 to Craven of Great Britain of this year. Man, 40 years of being an IOC member is a long time.

• 1 month later...
This topic has been "dead" for a while, but it seems that there isn't much news about this topic for a long while. I hope that next year will change this because the 9 cities interested are supposed to visit Athens for the 2004 Olympic Games.

• 3 months later...
Wow. Talk about a dead topic. Well, with less than 2 months before the shortlist is announced, the number of IOC members voting in Singapore could change accordingly.

*There are no Turkish members in the IOC at this moment.

Thats too bad!

Considering that our only IOC member for Turkey Sinan Erdem died last month!

:(

Sinan Erdem

TG,

Do you know, was Sinan Erdem visiting the European Youth Olympic Festival in Paris?

I was working as an attache there and I can't find his flight details on my dignatries list. We did observe a silence in his memory in the ceremony.

Does anybody know an IOC member? I remember TNMP saying something about it, but does anybody else know anyone important in the IOC? Are you an IOC member?

Some inside info would be cool...

It would be very cool. However...

I would be highly suprised if any knows (and I mean know, not just sent an email and got a personal response) or is an IOC member, would admit it that fact.

Sorry to disappoint some members here, but I'm not an IOC member. Some time ago, someone put a topic saying about possible IOC members in these forums. My username was in the poll.

How are IOC members appointed anyway?  Does each NOC decide who will serve on the IOC for their respective country?  Or is there some election held at IOC meeetings once a NOC has decided the candidates they want serving on the IOC?

Maybe we could lobby the IOC to have a whopping collective ONE vote on host cities for all of us in the forum here.  I'd be willing to bet most of us are more interested in this than some IOC members!

As I am aware, people are elected to the IOC, generally at IOC session. I am not aware that NOC put forward candidates. Some NOC's, for instance Antigua & Barbuda, have no members to represent them on the IOC.

Many people are elected through their involvment in a IOC commission, or International Federation. For instance, while Phil Craven is President of the IPC, I understand (though maybe wrong) that he was elected though his involvement in the Sport and Environment Commission, Matthew Pinsent CBE was elected through his involvement in the Athletes Commission (although Mr Pinsent's case is different due to IOC regulations that prohibits competing athletes from becoming IOC members unless elected through the Athletes Commission).

With the Athens 2004 Olympic Games nearly upon us, IOC membership could increase again, if it warrants. Phil Craven was the newest member of the IOC because he is the current IPC president. The former IPC president was a Canadian.

• 2 weeks later...

I was making a complete list, when my connection to the Internet gave out on me without warning. Well, here is the list of nations, in alphabetical order, that have more than one member. The number beside it is the number of IOC active members it has:

Australia (4)

Belgium (2) - including IOC President Jacques Rogge

Brazil (2)

Canada (3)

People's Republic of China (2)

Finland (2)

France (3)

Germany (3)

Great Britain (4)

Greece (2)

Hungary (2)

Italy (5)

Japan (2)

Korea [south] (3)

Mexico (2)

Netherlands (4)

Norway (2)

Russian Federation (3)

Senegal (2)

Spain (3)

Sweden (3)

Switzerland (5)

Ukraine (2)

Notice something here? Most nations listed here have or will at least hosted ONE Olympic Games in modern Olympic history. The exceptions are as follows:

Brazil

Hungary

Senegal

Ukraine

Here's the rest of the IOC active member nations that have only ONE member each. Here it is in alphabetical order:

Algeria

Argentina

Austria

Barbados

Bulgaria

Cameroon

Chinese Taipei [Taiwan]

Columbia

Cote d'Ivoire

Croatia

Cuba

Cyprus

Denmark

Dominican Republic

Egypt

Fiji

Guatemala

Guinea

Hong Kong [China]

India

Indonesia

Iran

Ireland

Israel

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Malaysia

Mauritius

Monaco

Morocco

New Zealand

Nigeria

Kenya

Korea [North]

Kuwait

Lebanon

Mongolia

Pakistan

Panama

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Serbia and Montenegro

Singapore

South Africa

Syria

Thailand

Togo

Tunisia

Uganda

Uruguay

Zambia

Again, notice something from this list? All these nations HAVEN'T hosted an Olympic Games yet, except for the following:

Austria

Serbia & Montenegro (former Yugoslavia with Sarajevo 1984)

- to make it even more blunt, Bosnia & Herzegovina is the only NOC to have hosted an Olympic Games with no IOC members. Of course, as stated before, Sarajevo (and the BIH NOC) used to be part of the old Yugoslavia at the time.

Archived