Is it safe to rule out Madrid and Moscow?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course you can not rule out anyone in the race.Every bid has their own problems, but people from each bid just see problems in the other ones.

If we have 5 candidates, that is because there are ready to organice the olimpic games. The OIC know it. That´s why all of them have chances...

Moscu would celebrate a wonderful games along the river, without traffic problems, and be careful with Madrid.It was in the second position,within a short distance to Paris, just because they didn´t get to many points in security and accommodation, problems that have been solved.

Race is finishing.Fair play please!!!

good luck to all

alberto

And New York a 1.6.

it is stupid to say anything like that for any of the cities in this race....YOU CAN NOT rule anyone out

Why not? YOU'VE said it about OTHER cities in other threads. The pot calling the kettle black.

I don't think you can rule any one of the 5 bidding cities out 100%, and I was particularly intrigued by puppy's line of thinking re Moscow and the IOC membership. However if we look at the probability of bids progressing to the last or second last rounds then Moscow and either Madrid or NYC will have to pick up votes that aren't predicated by technical merit, or those votes that are guided less by problematic bids. Moscow could drop out after the first round due to its less than spectacular technical evaluation, but then again so could NYC if the stadium switcheroo hasn't changed enough minds about the original stuff-up.

It's a damnably tight and even race....

God, we keep going around and around in these fora - that each city can win.  But people, Moscow BARELY made the short list.  I think the only reason the IOC threw it in there is out of deference to the Russian Olympic Committee.  But we all know it's going to be an also-run.  

People, face reality.  THe fight is going to be between London, Paris and New York .  Jeez.   :rolleyes:

Well noone gives importance to the short list, thats why many people as you roul out Madrid, but the short list evaluates the project and what each candidate can offer and that was the result:

Paris's bid emerged as the highest scoring candidate with a general score of 8.5, although it received the highest score in only three categories ("Accommodation", "Safety and security" and "Experience from past sports events"). However, Paris received a 10 for "Accommodation" which is one of the most important categories.

Madrid's bid ranked second with a general score of 8.3, ranking first in seven categories ("Government support, legal issues and public opinion", "General infrastructure", "Environment", "Sports venues", "Olympic Village", "Transport concept" and "Overall project and legacy").

London's bid was ranked third on the list at 7.6. It scored poorly in the "Transport concept" and "Government support, legal issues and public opinion" categories, but it shared a 10 with Paris and New York in the important "Accommodation" category.

New York City's bid scored fourth at 7.5, although it scored first in the "Accommodation" category, sharing a 10 with Paris and London.

Moscow 2012 Olympic bid scored lowest of the selected candidates at 6.5. It did not score highest in any category.

Then if you are putting London and New York ahead from Madrid, dont say that the possibilities of Moscow are low beacuse it barely made the short list.

I find this topic a little bit offensive, but oh well, I´m used to being underestimated already.

I remind you that as it´s happening now, nobody cared about Madrid's bid last year, and we were 2nd on the shortlist, close behind after Paris, so who knows.?.. the same thing could happen the same now.

Madrid, as a good a bid it has will not have the political clout to win it.

Anyone with a slight knowledge of Global politics wil understand that it was always going to be london or Paris as the front runners.

Madrid will get huge support from South America and that is it.

London has the commonwealth vote

Paris will have the Euroland vote plus ex collonials

NYC will have quite a high middle eastern vote pattern

Moscow - just a few from the ex eastern block and china.

If anyone knows the voting patterns of the Wurovision song contest will know it is not the best song which wins, it is the politcal alliance one has with other countries.

I do believe though Madrid has an influence on who gets the games and its all dependant who in the background it sanctions as a second vote!!!!

And New York a 1.6.

Not quite.  The current bid for New York is 5.4, the current ask is 5.5.

Well who knows what you're looking at, cuz odd makers have New York & Moscow as the 2 least likely candidates to win.

And New York a 1.6.

Well who knows what you're looking at, cuz odd makers have New York & Moscow as the 2 least likely candidates to win.

I wonder the IOC members get annoyed by the projection of who wins or not.

I know I would.

At this point, odds don't matter anymore. The IOC member votes are so unpredictable. They possibly can't create accurate odds involving the votes of all 116 members.

And New York a 1.6.

as I see it, Madrid has more options than NY, and in a final round with london or paris, Madrid will get most of the votes of paris or london.

And New York a 1.6.

I wonder the IOC members get annoyed by the projection of who wins or not.

I know I would.

At this point, odds don't matter anymore. The IOC member votes are so unpredictable. They possibly can't create accurate odds involving the votes of all 116 members.

Well, why don't you mention that to the ones who *initiated* the odds of winning comments.

Let me quote my friend Kendegra from another thread:

The fact remains that unless there is an early majority, one city will be eliminated first.  I don't think it will be the humiliation everyone claims it to be.  Only one city can win and this is a race of solid runners.

And as a loser, only New York has much to gain.  If New York loses, that means that 2012 is going to Europe and 2016 is theirs for the taking.  If New York wins, then 2016 becomes an European mad house.

The way I see it, NY is in a strong win-win situation, regardless of what happens.  The European cities are not.  If Europe lands 2012, Europe is virtually eliminated from 2016.  If NY lands 2012, there is a real chance that strong bids from Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and other European nations could materialize on top of the "New Frontier" nations and Asian cities for 2016.

The way I see it for 2016 - New York up against a New Frontier city...unbeatable.  Multiple European bids up against a New Frontier city - vulnerable.

It is infallible, airtight logic.

After all I´m reading here, I'm sure that if Madrid eventually wins, we would see a rain of posts saying we don't deserve it, we are horrible, we just won because of.... whatever...

yes, for sure, but, in that case, who cares?  :laughlong:

i'd like someone posted possible reasons why spain wins, before it happens.

After all I´m reading here, I'm sure that if Madrid eventually wins, we would see a rain of posts saying we don't deserve it, we are horrible, we just won because of.... whatever...

well expect that for any city that wins over Paris...

you´re right, people here seem to be smarter than the IOC members.

I will accept any victory, as I said in another post, I´m not bothered by any bid.

I will accept any victory, as I said in another post, I´m not bothered by any bid.

as will I....but each bid has it's own set of die-hard "fanatics" who will say anything they wish...and trust me they aren't going to take any win from any city other then theirs if their city loses next week....

Archived