Sign in to follow this  
ChicagoUSA2016

Usa Pan Am Games Possible Bid Cities

Baron, how are you doing!

I don't know if I am little confused, but I think I read a post of yours saying that US should not Bid for Pan Am games. You said - if I'm not wrong - that these games were a kind of second class ones, or something like that, but that was the general idea. I would like to know whether you said that during the furor of the race for 2016 or you changed your mind.

Hi Raphael. Am fine; thank you.

What I said is not my personal opionion but the general feeling in US Olympic circles. The one city that was interested in hosting a PanAms for awhile, San Antonio, apprently lost interest in the last 2 rounds of bidding. And the US does not encourge the cities to go after it. So it is a general consensus. As a mattr of fact, even for the upcoming YOGs, the USOC wasn't sure that it wanted to send the "A" teams to that event.

Just an overall query (from the viewpoint of an Aussie who hears bugger all about the Pan Ams but gets plenty of media info re the Pan Pacs)...how significant and popular are the Pan American Games for the participating nations? Would it be fair (Canadians could be the best respondents on this question) to compare them to the CGs as a bigger or smaller event? Are the standards of sport at the Pan Ams close to the Olympics or far less?

Hi Raphael. Am fine; thank you.

What I said is not my personal opionion but the general feeling in US Olympic circles. The one city that was interested in hosting a PanAms for awhile, San Antonio, apprently lost interest in the last 2 rounds of bidding. And the US does not encourge the cities to go after it. So it is a general consensus. As a mattr of fact, even for the upcoming YOGs, the USOC wasn't sure that it wanted to send the "A" teams to that event.

Thanks for your answer, Baron. Sometimes I wonder how A class athletes feel themselves in competitions in which they will meet no competitors at their level. That must be, being polite in saying this, at least not exciting.

New Orleans would do a great job hosting the Pan American Games. About 70% of the venues are already built, and would help us to bid for future olympics. Superdome would be great for Ceremonies and football finals.

IOC official sees Miami as gateway of the Americas

Miamis ongoing effort to host the Pan Am Games and perhaps someday the Olympics got a boost when sport leaders from throughout the Western Hemisphere met here to discuss future events.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez welcomed delegates from the Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) and U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun to a symposium on the Americas Best Practices on National Olympic Committee Management and Sport Performance.

Our vibrant community represents a joining of the rich and diverse Pan American cultures, making it the perfect backdrop for this important symposium, Gimenez said.

Gimenez envisions Miami as a natural fit to be a Pan Am Games or Olympic city. So does local businessman Ralph Garcia-Toledo, who is carrying the flame passed on from his father, who advocated bringing major multi-sport events to South Florida.

Its our dream, Garcia-Toledo said. If we can get the Pan Am Games, we would be en route to become an Olympic host.

The Pan Am Games, the Olympics of the Americas involving 42 countries and 3,000 athletes, is held every four years in the year preceding the Summer Olympic Games. The 2015 Pan Am Games will be held in Toronto. Garcia-Toledo said Miami could position itself as the U.S. bid for the 2019 Games. Hes using Rio de Janeiro as an example; Rio was host of the 2007 Pan Am Games and will be host of the 2016 Olympics.

Brazil used our model for the Pan Am Games and proved they were capable of handling the Olympics, Garcia-Toledo said. Rio beat out Chicago, which was eliminated in the first round, and a lot of the people who voted for Rio were right here for this meeting, and have an excellent impression of Miami.

Two of them are powerful members of the International Olympic Committee Mexicos Mario Vazquez-Rana, head of PASO, and Carlos Nuzman, head of Brazils Olympic committee.

During Nuzmans visit, he cut a finger on a glass carafe and had to be treated at Mercy Hospital, Garcia-Toledo said.

While at the hospital, he was attended by doctors from Panama and Colombia and a nurse from Uruguay, Garcia-Toledo said. He said, This is what Im talking about Miami is truly the gateway of the Americas. The Pan Am Games would feel at home here.

A lot of these delegates have investments or homes in Miami. Their kids go to school here. They travel here, shop here. We have strong ties with them.

A Miami bid would utilize South Floridas college and pro sports facilities, as well as dormitories at the University of Miami and FIU.

We would have to tweak some things, build a velodrome and find a good place for rowing, said Garcia-Toledo, who got hooked on Olympic sports when his father took him to the 1979 Pan Am Games in Puerto Rico and the 1983 Games in Caracas, where he met Michael Jordan. Were an outdoor city, with plenty of hotel rooms. We would have to convince the USOC first, but we have so much working in our favor.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/01/3122656/ioc-official-sees-miami-as-gateway.html#storylink=cpy

Miami's been trying to do something since 1976 when they were going to co-host a Bicentennial event w/ Phialdelphia. Nothing happened. They're jut good for national poitical conventions and Super Bowls.

Official logo for Santiago de Chile 2019 Panamerican Games bid unveiled

68643_4843753373220_186768178_n.jpg

Official poster and motto for Santiago 2019 Panamerican Games bid unveiled

"The Games are yours"

302782_4843756013286_1508060862_n.jpg

I didn't know that Santiago is in USA :blink:

• Like 1